PDA

View Full Version : Did you know?

Hazzle
07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm a massive repository of useless trivia. The problem is I always feel the unstoppable urge to share it with everyone right away. I'm sure I can't be the only crazy fucker like that so I'm starting a "Random Trivia Thread" much like the Random Picture Thread.

Basically the rules are as follows:

1) Trivia cannot in any way relate to Keira. Anything but Keira is perfectly acceptable game, however.

2) You must post the trivia within a day of discovering it (yes, within 24 hours). This isn't supposed to be a spam-fest with people posting masses of trivia they've accumulated over the years, but rather an "instant release" of trivia you've just discovered.

3) Try and make the trivia as widely-interesting as possible. Basically try and avoid really niche subjects, stick to what would be considered "General Knowledge" subjects.

4) If possible cite your reference point. You don't need to link to it, but it would be nice to know how you came about the knowledge. Plus it also helps us check out rule number 2 is actually being followed ;)

I don't think there's a need for any other rules but I'll come back and edit this post if I think of any more (I did search for a thread like this and there's none quite like it). I'll add a NSFW tag if it becomes necessary (depends what trivia finds its way here)

Ok, my useless piece of trivia, gained on tonight's Friday Night Project:

Mischa Barton isn’t American. I knew she was born in England but always assumed she had American parentage on at least one side. However it turns out her mum is Irish and her Dad is Mancunian, she just moved to New York when she was 5.

acliff
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
My keyring is exactly 5.5 inches long.

Digital_Ice
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
heh, nice idea. oh and regarding mischa, i knew that a while ago. and my opinion of her dropped because of it. traitor. :p

Katielondon
08-07-2006, 12:09 AM
heh, nice idea. oh and regarding mischa, i knew that a while ago. and my opinion of her dropped because of it. traitor. :p

Mischas nearly on par with Keira in the lovelyness stakes :)

acliff
08-07-2006, 12:10 AM
She looked pretty cute in it though. Doesn't look as stick thin as she used to.

I watched it for a bit, and then switched off the TV, because I absolutely detest the presenters. Every time I see Alan Carr, I want to drop kick his teeth and crush his larynx with an ice pick.

Friday night project was only watchable when Jimmy Carr was on it, I'd assume he left for similar reasons to mine.

Hazzle
08-07-2006, 12:14 AM

Bah. It's one more acting talent we can claim to be ours ;)

Heh Cliff. I'm not even going to ask how you discovered that...

I agree Cliff. I only watched it tonight for Mischa. She looked good. She's put on some weight and it's a good thing.

And Dirty Pretty Things are pretty damn cool. Man I love them. Justin Lee Collins isn't that bad but Alan Carr is an annoying gobshite. I should love him really ;)

Digital_Ice
08-07-2006, 12:18 AM
my sky box is broken.

Hazzle
08-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Babies walk funny because of their lack of balance.

I always thought it was the nappies that made them spread their legs and waddle as they walk but my mum just had a stroke and lost the ability to walk, and she's learning to walk again. She walks just like a baby because her balance is off.

DefyingGravity
10-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Quitting smoking can make you gain 20 pounds.

I read it on Yahoo news.

Mandy
10-07-2006, 01:06 AM
my sky box is broken.

Great. NOW how the hell am I supposed to watch the Simpsons?!

Chokito
10-07-2006, 09:34 AM
George Bush was a cheerleader in high school. I read this on wikipedia I believe (could there be a more reliable source of information). It does explain alot though...

Hazzle
10-07-2006, 02:51 PM
1981 Pope "dies" after assassination attempt but is brought back to life.
1982 Italy win the World Cup after a domestic match-fixing scandal

2005 Pope really does die
2006 Italy win the World Cup after a domestic match-fixing scandal

Benedict XVI better watch his back...

DefyingGravity
10-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Zidane is a twat and apparently wanted to sign his retirement off with a violent headbutt... what a way to go.

Oh, and Boca Italian Sausages are Heaven.

Hazzle
11-07-2006, 07:56 AM
The last three consecutive Golden Ball winners at the World Cup all fucked up in the final.

Ronaldo 1998 (collapsed before the final and was anonymous during it)
Kahn 2002 (made two mistakes leading to the two goals for Brazil
Zidane 2006 (headbutted an opponent and got sent off).

All three lost the final too. I think all three were favourites for the award too.

If I was the favourite next time (2010) I think I'd tell them to shove it.

acliff
11-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Jumping up and down and running on a wooden floor for an hour and a half causes blisters on your feet.

When good taekwondo fighters kick, their feet travel at over 100mph. In addition, when they retract their feet, its not much slower.

Taekwondo is the only martial art where you attack as often and as effectively when you're retreating. Every other martial art moves forward on the attack on the premise that you are invading their space. In comparison, Taekwondo allows the opponent to move into the space you've vacated by retreating, and you attack the space, having anticipated where they will be.

More interesting taekwondo facts to follow

Liam
11-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Every minute, somewhere in the world, 4 Boeing 737's take off or land.