PDA

View Full Version : Black Holes and Revelations

acliff
03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
So I acquired this yesterday, and have listened through it a couple of times.

Its boring.

I'm thoroughly dissapointed.

I'm going to start listening to pussycat dolls now.

Mandy
03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
That's really bad news. :(

calereneau
03-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I acquired it also. And I agree. Shame...I like everything else of theirs...even "Supermassive Black Hole." *sigh* oh well. I'll just keep watching the hulaballoo dvd to keep me sane.

aspro
03-07-2006, 11:42 PM
With the exception of "Supermassive Black Hole" (which makes me want to throw up) the album isn't as good as their older stuff, but I still like it.

ryan
04-07-2006, 01:22 AM
im tellin ya to loosen up my buttons

iximisspiggyixi
04-07-2006, 01:51 AM
im tellin ya to loosen up my buttons

Sadly, I really love that song.

Mandy
04-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Sadly, I've actually liked all the Pussycat Dolls songs so far.

Jacoby
04-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Muse is like the stain in your underwear when you're at work and you can't go to the bathroom and you just had the runs for the past week.

runangl
04-07-2006, 06:09 AM
pcd is my best guy-friend's secret love. well its not really so secret. he loves cheesy popish hip-hop. especially mariah carey with 98 degrees HAHA

and i'm sorry about the latest muse, i have yet to hear all of it. i need to find the cash to go out and buy it.

Pygmalion
04-07-2006, 06:33 AM
I got Black Holes and Revelations off the college network but I haven't listened to it. Maybe I won't bother...

deviljet88
04-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Ooo it's out already? Amazon.com's been saying 11th July, ooo sick, must, get, now. I heard another song off it since a radio station over here was previewing it at random, sooo good. *runs off squealing*

acliff
04-07-2006, 08:08 AM
What is this 'buy'?

Mandy, the fact that I like the pussycat dolls and not on because the main chick is filthy hot, is frankly shocking. Because unlike you, I generally have awesome taste...

deviljet88
04-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Plug In Baby isn't new. Knights of Cydonia, Assassin and Starlight are. Ooo I'm liking it so far, first listen :D

Mandy
04-07-2006, 11:43 AM
What is this 'buy'?

Mandy, the fact that I like the pussycat dolls and not on because the main chick is filthy hot, is frankly shocking. Because unlike you, I generally have awesome taste...

Errr...That's sounding way too hostile at 6:45am.

Hazzle
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
People who like the Pissy Cat Dogs need to be shot.

acliff
04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
They're not dogs. Coming to their defence shows how low I've come.

I'm in my summer music mode. Having been clubbing and partying loads in the last year, I have positive connections with R&B and Dance at the moment. That new Nelly Furtado song maneater and the shakira one are totally catchy.

Hazzle
04-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Yes they are Cliff. Skanky in the extreme.

I'm in summer music mode but I wouldn't sink that low. The Kooks "She Moves in Her Own Way", Gnarls Barkley's "Smiley People" and Lily Allen's "Smile" are my summery songs right now. The latter is my guilty pleasure, I shouldn't like it, but I do.

runangl
04-07-2006, 05:57 PM
the shakira song is so BLEH compared to the dirty dancing havana nights version.

and the nelly furtado song would be "okay" for a club song, but just because it's nelly furtado i think it's horrible. she totally sold out her style for some recipe club hip hop rap.

GoPre
04-07-2006, 07:55 PM
I listened to it when it was on their myspace, and I loved it. I'd have to say it's one of the best albums by anyone that I've heard.

acliff
05-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I lied, after relistening a couple of times, some of the songs are pretty good. None of the songs are as standout as some of the songs on the previous 3 albums, and my overreaction was promted by dissapointment.

Gopre, have you heard Muse's previous albums? Origin of Symmetry is by far Muse's best, but Showbiz and Absolution have some stunners too.

Who besides Haz thinks Pussycat dolls are skank? I'd do them all in a heartbeat. Maybe my standard are low... :icon_err:

Hazzle
05-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I'd agree with that assessment Cliff. It's an ok album, good if it was by anyone else, but not as good as any of the previous albums. Nonetheless, it's not shit.

Origin is by far the best album they've done although the other two are pretty fucking good too. So we agree on that.

As for the Pissy Cat Dogs this is the image that I would agree isn't that bad:

http://www.journal.lv/media/pussycat_dolls.jpg

But that's massively airbrushed. This is what they really look like (skanks):

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8436/10236038993lt.jpg

Mandy
05-07-2006, 09:57 PM
The only one I've ever thought was pretty was Tori Alamaze (lead singer) and she's probably the only one that can actually carry a tune in my opinion. I say she drops the bitches.

Cliff if you feel like sending me Muse songs because I'm poor, I'd be more than happy to let you.

deviljet88
06-07-2006, 04:23 AM
Oh fuck, that's horrid Haz (2nd pic), thanks for ruining it for everyonelse :P

I personally prefer Absolution more, because it's uhm... safer. Origin has some kickarse songs but it's also got the song Micro Cuts. If there ever was one song to show Bellamy having no balls, it has to be that one. Listen to him goddamn scream.

Hazzle
06-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh fuck, that's horrid Haz (2nd pic), thanks for ruining it for everyonelse :P

My work is done. And your opinion on Muse albums is noted...and wrong.

acliff
06-07-2006, 01:38 PM
My work is done. And your opinion on Muse albums is noted...and wrong.

Bad lighting makes everyone look minging however... even me! (sometimes)
In my opinion, the best way to find out whether someone is actually hot is video evidence. In addition to adding 10 pounds, there is a much lower chance that they'll have retouched it. The most important part though is that you can see them move and talk. Or dance. mmmm

GoPre
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Gopre, have you heard Muse's previous albums? Origin of Symmetry is by far Muse's best, but Showbiz and Absolution have some stunners too.

I have Showbiz and Absolution, and I've been meaning to buy Origins of Symmetry. I think only until recently it was released in the U.S. (september maybe?). I'll probably buy it when I go to pick up Black Holes and Revelations on the 11th.

calereneau
06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Micro Cuts is an awesome song....especially live!!!

honestly though, I have both Absolution and Origin of Symmetry and i like Absolution much better. To me, it's a much more daring and complete album than the other. OoS has a few songs that I really just have to skip over, but at the same time it rocks a lot harder than Absolution. My favorite Muse song is "Citizen Erased" too.

Absolution is more interesting to me, and I like it a lot more.

calereneau
06-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok, time for me to fess up.

I listened to "Black Holes and Revelations" about 3 times today for the sake of reviewing it for my blog and I have to say...I like it. It's very different, but at the same time really really good. I'll post my review on my blog (http://caleistheballs.blogspot.com) on Tuesday for anyone interested in reading it.

Hazzle
08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Another really good summer song at the moment is The Feeling "Fill my little world".

Liam
08-07-2006, 11:22 PM
I personally prefer Absolution more, because it's uhm... safer. Origin has some kickarse songs but it's also got the song Micro Cuts.

Micro cuts is fucking awesome, but the best songs they ever did are Citizen Erased and Megalomania.

I've only heard Supermassive Black Hole from the new album so far and I can only hope against all hope that the rest of the album isnt as bad as that horse shit.

calereneau
09-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Supermassive Black Hole is actually completely different from the rest of the album. But I like the song. And yeah....Citizen Erased is their best.

deviljet88
09-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Mmm, Supermassive was pretty misleading... I guess it did attract quite a bunch of fans by itself though which would've boosted the album's sales... Nice. Starlight and Map of the Problematique faves right now.

calereneau
09-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Funny, those are my two least favorite. Supermassive Black Hole and City of Delusion are my favs.

calereneau
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Allmusic.com rated it as being their best yet.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:nez8b5z4bsqf~T2

I tend to think that they are a pretty reliable source.

hasselbrad
10-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I've only heard one song, but I like it. Reminds me of the old country-western "Ghost Riders in the Sky".

calereneau
10-07-2006, 04:45 PM
It might be "Soldier's Poem." It's pretty much a soft ballad with cool harmonies towards the end. It reminds me a lot of The Flamingos, from way back when.

GoPre
10-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I'd have to say Starlight is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

hasselbrad
10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
It might be "Soldier's Poem." It's pretty much a soft ballad with cool harmonies towards the end. It reminds me a lot of The Flamingos, from way back when.

I remember now...it was Sedonia Nights.

calereneau
10-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Knights of Cydonia.

And I'm not really a fan of Starlight. The pianos and stuff sound too much like Coldplay or Keane to me. That and I hate the fact that the lyrics are strutured the same way as the song right before it.

Word 1, word 1 blah blah blah
Word 2, blah blah word 2 blah
Word 3, word 3 blah blah blah

And so on and so forth. Did anyone else notice this?

My Review (http://caleistheballs.blogspot.com/2006/07/music-muse-black-holes-and-revelations_10.html)

hasselbrad
10-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Knights of Cydonia.
Yes. I was driving back from the ATL. I liked it purdy good.

calereneau
10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
The chorus is really cool sounding with all the vocoders.

"No one's gonna take me alive!"

acliff
10-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I *really* like City of Delusion and Exo-Polotics. Muse's soft ballads have got a bit sappy of late. In fact, it sounds in general like Muse have got happier. Which is probably due to the swimming pools of money that they're swimming in.

I prefer Origin of Symmetry because it sounds like muse had a breakdown while writing it and are about to have a breakdown while performing every song.

Hazzle
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Heh. My sister and I have a theory that the best music always comes from misery, and bands and artists always become shite when they find happiness. So if you're a real fan, it is your mission to hunt down a band members loved one and murder them.

I think Muse's happiness is probably an extension of Matt's. Since he's settled down with a girl and whatnot and everything all good and wonderful and annoyingly sappy crap like that. He mentioned before this album that he was finally happy, and hadn't been when writing their earlier stuff.

Incidentally Metallica said that during the writing and recording of St Anger they were happier than they've ever been before. Hence proving the theory as that album's shite.

Liam
11-07-2006, 06:34 AM
As an aside on Metallica - their new shit sounds fucking killer. I downloaded an mp3 bootleg of their performance of 'New Song' in Berlin and it shreds. The only half way decent songs on St. Shit were Unnamed Feeling and Frantic, but this stuff sounds like Metallica are back to their creative, angry selves. Not one but TWO ripping solos, double-kick drums a plenty and James singing like he should. Yes please.

My copy of Black Holes and Revelations should arrive in about a week. I've decided to give it a shot despite my anger at Supermassive Black Hole.

Swordsman
11-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Heh. My sister and I have a theory that the best music always comes from misery

Like Mary J. Blige. Ever since she quit smoking crack, she just hasn't been able to make good music.

Hazzle
11-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Mar J Blige was always shite ;)

acliff
11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Like Mary J. Blige. Ever since she quit smoking crack, she just hasn't been able to make good music.

Similarly all the great Jazz musicians play their best under the influence. Same with classic R&B/Soul/ and even Gospel. (Ray Charles springs to mind)

Swordsman
11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty bad influence for young kids. I remember when i found out my favorite arists were potheads and drunks....it made me want to get high and drunk.

Liam
14-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Fuck me sideways, I love it.

Great album. Apart from Supermassive Black Hole.

Hazzle
14-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Fuck me sideways, I love it.

Do I have to? I know you love it but it's kinda gay.

Back on topic though...the album's alright. It's their weakest album to date but still ok.

Leonie
25-07-2006, 03:37 AM
I really like the new album. It took some getting used to, mostly because it's nothing like what I expected, but I like it. Supermassive Black Hole and Soldier's Poem are on permanent skip, but I love all the other songs. Especially Starlight, as it's simply awesome. I also love the Depeche Mode-iness of Map of the Problematique.

As for Muse sounding happier: duh. They've got girlfriends in their thank you list. That's a first.

It's not Muse's best album, but it's a lot better than I feared it would be after hearing the first single. I deserve Muse Fan Brownie Points for buying it without listening to it beforehand. (gg French shops offering it for just 16 euros)

Hazzle
25-07-2006, 08:16 AM
As for Muse sounding happier: duh. They've got girlfriends in their thank you list. That's a first.

Exactly. Kill the girlfriends! The first Muse fan to kill all of them gets Platinum Muse Fan Brownie Points. Or a cookie.

Leonie
25-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Are you a KKW-er or not? First one to kill them all gets Platinum Muse Fan Brownie Points or a biscuit! :icon_bigg

Hazzle
25-07-2006, 08:35 AM
I meant a proper cookie with bits in it. I'm not American!

Digital_Ice
25-07-2006, 09:43 AM
chocolate chip??

Hazzle
25-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Double chocolate with double choc chips (white and milk).

calereneau
25-07-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't understand why I'm the only one in the world that likes Supermassive Black Hole....but I'm okay with that. It's entirely different from their entire catalog, and you can dance the shit out of it. I love it.

Hazzle
25-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Liking it is fine. Thinking it's better than their other stuff is not.

Digital_Ice
26-07-2006, 12:37 AM
its not muse-y enough.

calereneau
26-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Do I like it better than "Citizen Erased" or "Butterflys and Hurricanes"? No way! But do I like it better than 7 out of the other songs on BH&R? Absolutely!

It's not Muse-y, but it definitely is catchy. "Assassin" is Muse-y and that song is boring..."Destroy Demonocracy"....seriously?

Leonie
26-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Do I like it better than "Citizen Erased" or "Butterflys and Hurricanes"? No way! But do I like it better than 7 out of the other songs on BH&R? Absolutely!

It's not Muse-y, but it definitely is catchy. "Assassin" is Muse-y and that song is boring..."Destroy Demonocracy"....seriously?

Somehow you haven't quite convinced me that's worse than

Oh baby dont you know I suffer?
Oh baby can you hear me moan?

That makes me cringe every time I hear it (read: everytime I'm not quick enough with the 'next song' button after Starlight).

deviljet88
26-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Oh come on, as if that's not as cringe-worthy as...

"And tonight we can truly say
Together we're invincible"

Ooo or this, I laughed at this one quite a bit on the first listen...

Yeah and burn
You will burn
You will burn in hell
yeah You'll burn in hell
You'll burn in hell
yeah You'll burn in hell
You'll burn in hell

Nevertheless, like it all. Besides Poem, I can stand it but its just not as great an acousticy sounding song compared to stuff like Blackout and Unintended etc.

acliff
26-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I pretty much dislike all muse lyrics. Except 'feeling good' which was originally Nina Simone. In fact I don't even listen to the lyrics, as my musical listening seems to filter words out. Especially with Matt Bellamy's shrill voice.

The genius is in the music, harmony, layers. I can appreciate good lyrics, but usually REALLY good lyrics, like Bob Dylan.

calereneau
26-07-2006, 04:40 PM
I agree. The only Muse lyrics I like are "Citizen Erased"

brownplayboy310
26-07-2006, 07:15 PM
All that muse will ever amount to is being a poor-man's radiohead. BTW Thom's solo album debuted at #2 out here in the US, seems like we appreciate his genius a little more than the Brits.

acliff
26-07-2006, 11:08 PM
I think it would be opened minded for you to understand that Muse are currently nothing like Radiohead. When Muse started, they were constantly compared to Radiohead, now the two bands have gone in different directions.

I think that in general the US charts are about as useful as a supermarket shopping list in Somalia. It is useless as a rating system, and should not be used to elevate one band over another. If ciara can top that list...

calereneau
27-07-2006, 12:09 AM
And let's not forget Hilary Duff's reign atop the charts.

And yeah, Muse and Radiohead are completely different styles of music. Matt and Thom's vocals kinda sound similar....kinda. But that's really it.

Thanks for your open mind...douche.

Leonie
27-07-2006, 04:03 AM
I think the only thing the bands have in common is the melancholy thing, for which Matt's and Tom's voices are perfectly suited. They're not the same, or even similar, besides the fact that they can both sing pretty damn high for a bloke.

I love both bands, but Muse rock heaps more than Radiohead do. Radiohead's lyrics are a lot more... incomprehensible and indie. I can't listen to Radiohead when I'm in a Muse mood, or the other way around - they suit completely different mindsets. Muse is a more pro-active, angry sort of mood, Radiohead is more sentimental most of the time; or bitter, but heaps less aggressive.

If you think they're the same, perhaps you should try listening to both bands.

Now that that's dealt with: here's what I wanted to say originally. Although I'll be the first to admit the lyrics on this new album are fairly weak, there are a few gems on there. I especially like "let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive." Not bad. Not bad at all.

Final words? Soldier's Poem is a shit song. Glad that's out there.

Hazzle
27-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Earlier Radiohead (Pablo Honey and The Bends) had slight similarities to Showbiz, but beyond that Muse have defined themselves as their own band.

The only reason I continued with the "Muse are the new Radiohead" POV is not so much that I believed the music was similar, but that the band's overall approach to making albums, advancing, experimenting and developing with each one, was similar.

After hearing Black Holes I'm even less convinced of that anymore.

For me Radiohead are definitely the finer band but Muse, as Leonie put it so eloquently, "rock heaps more". The similarities are becoming less and less.

Mandy
27-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Is it just me or does Matt sound extremely Bono-like during the chorus of Starlight?

calereneau
27-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Sounds more Keane-ish to me.