PDA

View Full Version : Serial Killers

Richard
16-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Who do you think is the most notorious & vicious serial killer ever? Pardon me while I pick your brain.

Spire
16-07-2004, 03:55 AM
Me, after Keira denies my hand in marriage.

Jacoby
16-07-2004, 03:58 AM
The Hillside Strangler went to my highschool.....and then there was another serial killer from Rochester. So come visit the beautiful city of Rochester, just look out for your life. My favorite is Ed Gain....he was crazy.

Richard
16-07-2004, 04:00 AM
The Hillside Strangler went to my highschool.....and then there was another serial killer from Rochester. So come visit the beautiful city of Rochester, just look out for your life. My favorite is Ed Gain....he was crazy.

The man that inspired the movie "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". I'd have to go for that man too.

DragonRat
16-07-2004, 04:01 AM
It's close between Jack the Ripper and the Zodiac Killer (the Zodiac Killer actually killed people in San Francisco, where I live, so that story's a bit close to where I live). However, Jack was technically known as the first case of a serial killer in modern times, so he deserves some certain amount of notoriety.

Also, it's how you describe 'fucked-up'. Dahmer ate his victims, so that's a bit messed up. Ed Gein inspired the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so you know what that's about. The Zodiac Killer murdered those under a specific agenda, so his type of killing was notorious in its level of intelligence. Jack the Ripper mutilated his victims; his last victim (supposedly) was so mutilated that the only way to identify her was through dental records. What Jack did and thought was this: he could get away with anything he did, and he did. To believe he was above the law, that was his motive; unfortunately, he doesn't have as such a guilty conscience as the narrator of The Tell-Tale Heart or Raskolnikov.

You forgot to mention the Unabomber. He was pretty fucked up in the head as well.

Richard
16-07-2004, 04:06 AM
It's close between Jack the Ripper and the Zodiac Killer (the Zodiac Killer actually killed people in San Francisco, where I live, so that story's a bit close to where I live). However, Jack was technically known as the first case of a serial killer in modern times, so he deserves some certain amount of notoriety.

You forgot to mention the Unabomber. He was pretty fucked up in the head.

Jack the Ripper, I have much respect for. If I'm not correct, they never found out who did it nor did they find his/her body. Got away with them all. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I've had more of my fair share. So feel free to educate me if I'm mistaken somewhere. The Zodiac Killer makes for a good late-night documentary, trust me.

spitinthacoola
16-07-2004, 04:27 AM
I would have gone for the Zodiac Killer because he made a call to the police station right around the cornerfrom my grandmas house. BUT I have to go with Ed Gains because I did some research on him a few months ago and mas that guy was nuts.

Kyle_West
16-07-2004, 04:54 AM
I just picked Ted because he would be a hard one to find. White Collar type, and he was registered to about 30 different types. But he said something like 200 I think...I know it was an outrageous number. But yeah, someone that crazy who knows all about law, that would be one tough cookie. Thats how I judged my answer. Not if he was a Cannibal or anything.

Kelsey
16-07-2004, 05:13 AM
Either the Zodiac Killer because he was around where I live, or the Unabomber.

johnnyboy
16-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Great, now I wont be able to sleep :( :) id say Jack or Ed, and I dont want to hear about this again, yech! :p :(

deviljet88
16-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Voted Ed Gain because Texas Chainsaw Massacre trailer and ads looks freaky :) Jack the Ripper come close for mutilation.

Pygmalion
16-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Dahmer. I don't see how anybody could have the mentality to EAT another human...blargh

DragonRat
16-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Well, cannibalism was considered by primitives as a method of extracting the knowledge and ability of one's enemies. It wasn't an uncommon practice at all. It's just that, in today's society, cannibalism for any reason is unconscionable and immoral. I think Haz would agree, it's about treating human beings with respect, and understanding that all people have innate value to them. To cannibalize another, is to devalue the other to the point of an animal, which is not who we are. At least, that's what we say.

Sarah
16-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, how many murders until they become 'serial' killer?

CFC
16-07-2004, 11:36 AM
I'll have to go with Jack.

hasselbrad
16-07-2004, 06:54 PM
The man who started it all.
I read Patricia Cornwell's book where she fingers an artist named Sickert. He was a protege' of Whistler's, and by all accounts, was a fucking nutball. Most people who have studied the Ripper give credit for 5 killings, but she thinks he did a whole bunch more. Also, she thinks he was responsible for a lot of the "hoaxes" which did so much to confuse the police.
She believes it all stemmed from a botched operation which mutilated his penis. :eek:

DragonRat
16-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Yeah, penile mutilation would certainly push one off the deep end.

I think 'serial' necessarily defines someone who kills either 1) a lot of people over a specific period of time, with a certain time frame or 2) a certain number of people in a specific manner. As one can tell, Jack the Ripper killed a bunch of people - at least 5 - all female, and all in similar fashions, and all within a certain time frame. The Unabomber killed a bunch of people over a long period of time, but in a similar fashion. What separates serial killers, I suppose, from other killers is their method of murder: something that they do consistently, like cannibalize or mutilate or mail pipe bombs. And they don't just do it to one or two people; they plan it out, and they do it to a lot of people.

alby
17-07-2004, 04:25 AM
I was flipping channels and VH1 said Johnny Depp named his son Jack after his fascination with Jack the Ripper. I thought that was amusing to hear, although I don't really trust VH1.

Richard
17-07-2004, 05:58 AM
I was flipping channels and VH1 said Johnny Depp named his son Jack after his fascination with Jack the Ripper. I thought that was amusing to hear, although I don't really trust VH1.

I wouldn't be surprised. He starred in a movie about Jack the Ripper. Now that makes it all the more interesting if it's true. "From Hell" I believe...

alby
17-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Yup, with Heather Graham. A decent film. It was running on FX I think.

Alexander
17-07-2004, 06:42 AM
Speaking of cannibalism, I don't see anything wrong with cannibalism in certain situations. Infact I think when a prisoner dies in prison, instead of waisting the time burying the body they should just chop it up and feed it to the other prisoners. It makes perfect sense to me because not only are they saving time by not burying the body but they are also saving money because now they won't have to ship food to the prisons anymore. Doesn't that sound logical, or am I just insane?

alby
17-07-2004, 06:45 AM
I think civil rights groups would jump all over your ass like a hobo on a ham sandwhich, so to speak. But I don't really care.

I'd rather the government make prisoners grow their own food, make their own clothes, build their own shelter, etc. so the public doesn't have to pay for them.

Ashlyn
17-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Jack the Ripper because he's the only one I've heard of (and reminds me of Johnny Depp:))

DragonRat
17-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Perhaps it's because Johnny Depp was in the movie "From Hell", which was about Jack the Ripper...

And cannibalism is certainly desirous in the situation given by Jonathan Swift in "A Modest Proposal". Of course, if that were the case, one could definitely see Christopher Reeve shouting to an ignorant crowd, "Soylent Green is people!"

Oh, and Alexander, I think I've seen that concept on NationStates.net. Sounds feasible, but I'd like to think that we're more moralistic than that, and that we believe human beings are important. The ACLU would probably tell you such things, in more than two sentences.

Wake
17-07-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm going with Ed because he apparently made furniture from his victims skin. People who visited his house, which was in some little hunting town, didn't suspect anything because it just seemed like he made it from like deer skin. Ugh...they probably sat on his couch too.

Hazzle
18-07-2004, 03:31 AM
Ok...this thread disturbs me...you lot are just too weird for words.

DR knows me too well...Cannibalism is simply wrong as it devalues the human spirit and the value of a human being as something more than any other animal (yes, I realise we're animals too, hence the word "other").

As for feeding people to prisoners...what are you on? I'll discuss this further on a more dedicated thread, this isn't the place for it.

On topic...meh...they're all disturbingly sick.

alby
18-07-2004, 03:51 AM

I would think that is the prerequisite for being a serial killer.

I always thought there were more serial killers in the world than that. I voted for Jack the Ripper.

Hazzle
18-07-2004, 04:57 AM
I would think that is the prerequisite for being a serial killer.

You're really good at pointing out the obvious. Ok...my mistake for creditting you with enough intelligence to read between the lines...they're ALL disturbingly sick...not they're all sick...but they're all DISTURBINGLY sick...use of the same adjective was utilised to signify that in my opinion, they're all equally as sick. Thus stating an opinion on the matter at hand. Thank you and goodnight.

Richard
18-07-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm for one am surprised that no one has yet to mention the Son of Sam. We all sit in cars right? If I recall, that's how he took his victims. But I guess he's not really fucked-up compared to the rest.

DragonRat
18-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, the Son of Sam did talk to a dog, who told him to kill people. It's really pretty much how one defines the term 'fucked-up'.

Richard
18-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, the Son of Sam did talk to a dog, who told him to kill people. It's really pretty much how one defines the term 'fucked-up'.

That's right. I remember that guy had something to do with a dog. Have you seen the Son of Sam movie? I believe it had the title S.O.S starring John Leguizamo.

Keira lover
07-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Ted Bundy was an evilly brillant individual. He raped and murdered some 72 women, and escaped from prison twice. However, the most brilliant serial killer was Jack the Ripper. He was not been caught for 119 yrs, and will never be. that is an accomplishment.

Keira lover
07-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Ok...this thread disturbs me...you lot are just too weird for words.

DR knows me too well...Cannibalism is simply wrong as it devalues the human spirit and the value of a human being as something more than any other animal (yes, I realise we're animals too, hence the word "other").

As for feeding people to prisoners...what are you on? I'll discuss this further on a more dedicated thread, this isn't the place for it.

People probably are great nurishment.

Leonie
07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
However, the most brilliant serial killer was Jack the Ripper. He was not been caught for 119 yrs, and will never be. that is an accomplishment.

An accomplishment? Really? I thought it was called "dying of old age."