PDA

View Full Version : So, do any of you need...

hasselbrad
12-06-2006, 11:12 PM
...this? (http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/08/D8I489R80.html)

"Detox" for video game addicts. ***shakes head***

Swordsman
13-06-2006, 04:58 AM
So...this is dumb as hell.

ryan
13-06-2006, 05:12 AM
i was definitely an addict back in my HS days with Everquest.
in the 4 (or 4.5) years that I played the game, I racked up over 215 days (over 5100 hours) of REAL time in the game on my main character ...another 50 or so among my secondary characters.
i literally treated it like a full time job until the game was no longer fun and i finally quit for good.

friggin' loved that game back in the day, though.

Swordsman
13-06-2006, 05:35 AM
I remember reading an article about people getting divorced over Everquest. Good call quiting.

deviljet88
13-06-2006, 06:33 AM
I've sworn off MMORPGs for at least high school, definitely. Too addictive and such a waste of time. I had a lvl 69 2nd class character in this Asian MMORPG which I worked on during the last summer holidays (nearly 2 months), and then when school resumed, I had to quit playing it and realised what a waste of the holidays it was. Then again, I was only 11 levels away from doing the most kickarse attack skill ever... over 3000 damage *drools*

Liam
13-06-2006, 06:44 AM
I like to call it a 'controlled' addiction.

I love World of Warcraft. I have 5 characters over level 45 and am a class leader in a guild recognised as one of the realms best. Between my characters I have racked up around 35 days total in game time. I don't feel a bit bad about it, playing games for some people is a different means of escape to what others enjoy.

However, I have never let WoW interfere with my social life or my job. It gets in the way of education sometimes (I'd rather run a raid group in WoW than code some bullshit super mario bros. clone) but the real world always takes a driving seat. WoW just sits in the passenger seat waiting for its turn at the wheel.

Besides, what business is it of anyone else what I do with my free time? If you are one of the closed minded types who equates gaming with spotty faced nerds in darkened basements eating themselves towards diabetes, frankly you are one closed minded fuck who needs to open their eyes. The future is electronic, this is entertainment, this is here to stay. Get used to it.

hasselbrad
13-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Besides, what business is it of anyone else what I do with my free time? If you are one of the closed minded types who equates gaming with spotty faced nerds in darkened basements eating themselves towards diabetes, frankly you are one closed minded fuck who needs to open their eyes. The future is electronic, this is entertainment, this is here to stay. Get used to it.

Settle down...it was more of a comment on the whole "addict" mentality.
I don't really subscribe to addiction, but look at it merely as weakness of the mind and character.
Nerd.
:D

Digital_Ice
13-06-2006, 01:46 PM
. . .offering in-house treatment for people who can't leave their joysticks alone.

.........riiiiight.

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Don't subscribe to addiction either Brad.

And Ice, just because they couldn't get you to leave yours alone, doesn't mean their programme doesn't work. They just hadn't met a wanker like you before...

On the topic of gaming, it can be a damn invasive part of your life if you don't fight it. I remember my addiction to Championship Manager back in the day. That game is the most addictive ever, and you'd spend days trying to manage your team to glory. Probably cos it took so fucking long to load! The early versions didn't even allow you to save so if you'd gone 3/4s through a season, you always wanted to see if you could win a trophy, so you'd pull all-nighters.

Then there was this MUD I used to play...that used to take over my entire life. Don't play either anymore, life's too short :p

Digital_Ice
13-06-2006, 03:18 PM
touché.

good comeback.

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 04:01 PM
touché.

good comeback.

Heh. Get back on topic, bitch.

To set an example to Ice (who clearly needs it :p), elaborating on what said to Brad. Being a smoker and a guy who flirted pretty close to the edge of the alcoholicism abyss I believe addiction is all mental. I've quit smoking for 2 years in the past, took it up again because I wanted to. I'd just given up drinking and I've always believed everyone's gotta have a vice :p. I felt silly being in a pub drinking coke, so smoking gave me something else to do.

However whenever I get a cold, I stop smoking, as I've heard it weakens the immune system against things like colds. So I know I can do it anytime I want, I just don't.

As for my problem with alcohol, I went to meetings, and through them I discovered that I wasn't ADDICTED to alcohol in any physical way, just a mental one. I think a lot of alcohilics aren't true addicts, and are probably more dependent than addicted. They could give up but they've grown so mentally dependent on the state of being drunk all day every day that they "need" to be. It's a habit that needs to be broken, no more.

Don't get me wrong, real addiction exists, but it's to a much smaller extent, for any substance you care to name, than people think. We're a weak society, a lot of junkies, smokers and alcys could quit if they had the willpower but they don't.

marine
13-06-2006, 06:18 PM
well that's an idea I would have loved back in the day, we didn't have adsl and my brother used our 100 hours (a month) in a week or so playing online games and refused to let me on the computer even when our net forfeit was up.
Now of course we don't live together and we both have laptops so it's of no use, moreover it seems that my brother and people I know who were "obsessed" with computer games, took a step back and don't do it as often as they used to.

Liam
13-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Settle down...it was more of a comment on the whole "addict" mentality.
I don't really subscribe to addiction, but look at it merely as weakness of the mind and character.
Nerd.
:D

Heh, not aimed at anyone in particular. More the quacks in their lab jackets making money off the weak, than anyone else :D