ENG:3 PAR:2
SWE:1 TRI:1
ARG:4 CIV:1

deviljet88
10-06-2006, 12:06 PM
ENG - 1 Par - 1
Swe - 1 Tri - 0
Arg - 2 Civ - 0

I expect little highlights after yesterday's goalfest.

Hazzle
10-06-2006, 12:48 PM
England 2 - Para 0

Gerrard fit, the best midfield in the tournament is thus complete. Since midfield will be where the game is won or lost, expect that to be crucial. With the ball swerving so much I'd fancy Lampard or Gerrard to score too. Paraguay are very weak on set pieces and we've been scoring off of them a lot more recently.

Paraguay will be relying on the counter attack which I think will suit England. Our defence is solid and has good shape. We're weaker when teams come at us and build attacks because noone closes down from midfield.

Sweden 2 - Trinidad 0

Trinidad are stronger than Jamaica but given how easily we rolled Jamaica over, I'd expect them to still ship some goals. Most of their players play in Scotland which is an attrociously uncompetitive league, and Sweden are a damn good side.

Argentina 1 - CIV 0

The Ivory Coast are outsiders to WIN the thing, and have an AMAZING defence. The Argies aren't starting with Messi, Tevez or Aimar, leading me to believe they're looking to keep the game tight. Kolo Toure's the best defender in Europe.

hasselbrad
10-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure about scores (or who's playing who for that matter) but I predict that the riot police will have to be deployed at least once.

Pygmalion
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I guess next matches will be
ENG:3 PAR:2

That was a bit optimistic, it was 1 : nil to England for anyone who didn't watch it.

Katielondon
10-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure about scores (or who's playing who for that matter) but I predict that the riot police will have to be deployed at least once.

i agree

mehrdad368
10-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Hahaha.
I'm sorry for every one because no one guess true about first game.
ENG:1 PAR:0

Hazzle
10-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Hahaha.
I'm sorry for every one because no one guess true about first game.
ENG:1 PAR:0

Not true at all. Jet was almost right, I was too. Could very easily have been a draw, Paraguay had chances, but only half-chances. However had Gerrard been a little more composed, and Lampard too, England could've won 2-0, and should have really.

All your scores are highly unrealistic. 4-1 Argentina? Do you not know how good the Ivory Coast are or something? Two of the Arsenal defence, Didier Zakora and Yaya Toure are the most sought after central midfielders outside of England and Drogba's been lethal for Chelsea.

I called a 1-1 draw for England v Sweden in 2002 so it is possible to call the result of a team's first game perfectly.

Hazzle
10-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Brad and Katie: Doubt it. Such a cliched thing to say and so untrue. The last world cup with violence at it was in 1998, and even that was tame and overblown in the media.

There's more violence outside pubs up and down the country on a typical Friday night than at a world cup.

Pygmalion
10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Hmmm 20 minutes into T&T vs. Sweden, I reckon Sweden'll slip one or two in, posession looks to be pretty one-sided.

Katielondon
10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Brad and Katie: Doubt it. Such a cliched thing to say and so untrue. The last world cup with violence at it was in 1998, and even that was tame and overblown in the media.

There's more violence outside pubs up and down the country on a typical Friday night than at a world cup.

are you going to try and change my views on the whole thing then?, sorry i dont like it but i cant help how i feel, the world would be prety boring if we all liked the same things (thinks of HSBC advert)

Hazzle
10-06-2006, 06:19 PM
are you going to try and change my views on the whole thing then?, sorry i dont like it but i cant help how i feel, the world would be prety boring if we all liked the same things (thinks of HSBC advert)

Yeah. I mean without retarded people with no taste who would I have to mock?

No, seriously, you can dislike football, just don't say "Oh God, the World Cup has started" and then expect me NOT to defend my favourite sport. It's kinda like insulting a big hefty bloke and then acting surprised when he punches your lights out. You wouldn't try and tickle a lion, would you? Exactly.

Oh, and don't use the cliched hooliganism argument as it's stupid. You made one good point about going out to places and EVERYTHING being world-cup orientated but it's the same with the Olympics, and I hate the Olympics with a vengeance, makes me want to hurl, yet I didn't bitch and moan when they were everywhere. And there are lots of pubs and restaurants that are actually cashing in on World Cup hatred by offering a World Cup free environment. You just need to know where to look. There's a pub near me that NEVER shows football.

Back ON topic: Who would've thought Trinidad would hold Sweden. Swedes obviously bossed the game but Hislop had the game of his life. Glad it was against them, makes it more likely he won't have such a blinder against us.

Jacoby
10-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Haz, stop defending a sport that doesn't need your defense. What Katie said doesn't require your multiple responses (especially saying she has no taste) of argument. I know you're kidding, cus you're always kidding (cus it's more convinient) but serious. Let it go.

On Topic: Did America win the big world soccer tournament yet?

Swordsman
10-06-2006, 07:49 PM
On Topic: Did America win the big world soccer tournament yet?

I don't know but it'd be awesome to win a tournament that we don't even care about.

Hazzle
10-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I don't know but it'd be awesome to win a tournament that we don't even care about.

Good thing you won't then.

And Jake, I was defending my love of the sport against someone who said "Oh God, not more football". I will always do that, and not just on here either. I do it in person. And I fucking hate how everyone assumes a football fan is a hooligan. It's fucking outrageous, and yes, it's an insult of ME as a football fan.

Plus she's totally being a misandrist, but you wouldn't care about that as you're a big girl. I hate misandry, it's as bad as misogyny but whilst women will get up in arms about a guy even making chauvanistic jokes, society doesn't see any ill in misandry, which is actually a backhanded piece of misogyny only women are too thick to see it.

What? Oh. Etc.

deviljet88
11-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Mwawa, I was one goal off every single game ^^

mehrdad368
11-06-2006, 09:11 AM
My guesses were close to them if you decrease one point from all.
Next mathces:
NED:2 SCG:0
IRN:2 MEX:1
POR:3 ANG:1

fandekeira
11-06-2006, 09:29 AM
NED:3 SCG:1

MEX:2 IRA:1

ANG:0 POR:3

i'd like MEX and portugal to win

deviljet88
11-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Ned: 1 SCG: 0
Mex: 1 Ira: 0
Ang: 0 Por: 2

Lets see how the 1 goal margin of error stands up tonight ^^

Hazzle
11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
My guesses were close to them if you decrease one point from all

CLOSE to them AFTER taking a goal out, yes, but that just means you were miles out.

I got the margin of victory right for Argentina (knew Ivory Coast were a lot better than you were suggesting...4-1 my arse...Ivory Coast actually had a dead-cert penalty turned down in the first half, should've been 2-2), called England to beat Paraguay, but narrowly, it was just Sweden that surprised me with their inability to beat T & T.

Jet's got the right to boast, so far, as he's been closest. Your predictions weren't even as close as MINE were and Jet's were better than mine.

Why don't we make this interesting and try and predict goalscorers too?

I think the Dutch look weak, Ivory Coast will edge them out (have you seen how crap the Dutch defence is?!) to qualify along with Argentina (sorry to all our Dutch members). Serbia & Montenegro doesn't even exist anymore! Montenegro just split from Serbia before the tournament began.

Ned: 1 SCG : 1

I predict Serbia to take the lead through Kezman, but Van Persie to come off the bench to score the equaliser (ok, a little Arsenal bias, but why the holy hell is he not starting?). Van Nistelrooy to miss the penalty that would see them win (I wish!).

Mex: 2 Iran :1

Daei for Iran, Borgetti and Franco for Mexico.

Angola: 0 Portugal: 2

Ronaldo and Deco to score.

acliff
11-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Actually Haz, it is highly likely that there will be riot police and hooligans this year. 2002 was a pretty safe one, partially as it was in Korea/Japan, a huge distance for groups of watchlist hooligans to travel. Also the Korea/Japan riot police are fucking hardcore.

It is far far easier for hooligans to get into Germany. Countries with infamously aggressive supporters are in the world cup that make the English hooligans look like pussy cats, and some of them share borders with Germany. Given that some of the supporters have started fighting BEFORE the competition started, I think they'll be quite a few clashes on the news...

mehrdad368
11-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm very optimist about Iran.

Hazzle
11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Actually Haz, it is highly likely that there will be riot police and hooligans this year. 2002 was a pretty safe one, partially as it was in Korea/Japan, a huge distance for groups of watchlist hooligans to travel. Also the Korea/Japan riot police are fucking hardcore.

It is far far easier for hooligans to get into Germany. Countries with infamously aggressive supporters are in the world cup that make the English hooligans look like pussy cats, and some of them share borders with Germany. Given that some of the supporters have started fighting BEFORE the competition started, I think they'll be quite a few clashes on the news...

You make a good point about the travelling distance, and I think that made a difference, but I still don't think there'll be a massive hooliganism problem. Security is REALLY high at the games. Media are having to get there hours and hours before the games because of all the checks. There'll be a mild problem, there always is, put people and alcohol together and they will fight. The football doesn't actually change it one bit, it's no different to guys going to the pub on a Friday, getting pissed, and fighting.

And Meathead, for once I agree with you. Iran have got a shot of an upset but Mexico have got to be favourites to win the game.

Katielondon
11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Yeah. I mean without retarded people with no taste who would I have to mock?

No, seriously, you can dislike football, just don't say "Oh God, the World Cup has started" and then expect me NOT to defend my favourite sport. It's kinda like insulting a big hefty bloke and then acting surprised when he punches your lights out. You wouldn't try and tickle a lion, would you? Exactly.

Oh, and don't use the cliched hooliganism argument as it's stupid. You made one good point about going out to places and EVERYTHING being world-cup orientated but it's the same with the Olympics, and I hate the Olympics with a vengeance, makes me want to hurl, yet I didn't bitch and moan when they were everywhere. And there are lots of pubs and restaurants that are actually cashing in on World Cup hatred by offering a World Cup free environment. You just need to know where to look. There's a pub near me that NEVER shows football.

Back ON topic: Who would've thought Trinidad would hold Sweden. Swedes obviously bossed the game but Hislop had the game of his life. Glad it was against them, makes it more likely he won't have such a blinder against us.

stroke a lion, cuddle a king cobra..... all sounds like fun to me :) seriously though i dont hate the world cup just the atmosphere in a lot of places, and if it makes you feel any better i hate the Olympics too.

Hazzle
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM

So far you're doing even better. Spot on with the first result! Well done. Jet 1 - everyone else 0.

I'm glad the Dutch started with Van Persie, he and Robben are by far their best players. Although on the basis of that TERRIBLE defensive performance, you just know both Argentina and Ivory Coast will fancy beating the Dutch. Drogba'll rip them to pieces, and Riquelme can destroy any defence. Still think Ivory Coast will go through with Argentina, they looked better than Holland did today, despite losing. Was also TERRIBLY cynical when Van Der Sar kept faking cramp to waste time...

Foeni
11-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Mex: 2 Iran: 0

hasselbrad
11-06-2006, 05:44 PM

World Cup every four years, right?
One Cup without violence? Spanking record that is. :p
I'm just fucking with you. I was actually flipping between the Cup and a F1 race, and I must say the Cup is more compelling. F1 is kind of like watching a bullet train go by. Fast and sophisticated, but not much action.

Hazzle
11-06-2006, 06:27 PM
One goal out...Mexico 3-1 Iran in the end...

Katielondon
11-06-2006, 08:06 PM
World Cup every four years, right?
One Cup without violence? Spanking record that is. :p
I'm just fucking with you. I was actually flipping between the Cup and a F1 race, and I must say the Cup is more compelling. F1 is kind of like watching a bullet train go by. Fast and sophisticated, but not much action.

F1 is pretty dull to watch though, its more strategy etc, Moto Gp is much more intense edge of your seat racing, the Italian GP ang Mugello is 1 of the most intense races to watch every year.

Hazzle
11-06-2006, 09:06 PM
One goal out...Mexico 3-1 Iran in the end...

Actually one goal out all day today. Woo! Got the goalscorers wrong but it makes it more fun than just predicting scorelines.

So far only Jet's guessed one spot on. Let's see who can guess the most correct (and I mean ABSOLUTELY correct...goalscorers is optional but could be used as a decider if it's a tie) by the end of the tournament.

devine kk
12-06-2006, 08:10 AM
12/06/06

Australia 1 - 1 Japan
USA 1 - 2 Czech Republic (sorry yanks)
Italy 4 - 0 Ghana

Hazzle
12-06-2006, 08:42 AM
12/06/06

Australia 1 - 1 Japan
USA 1 - 2 Czech Republic (sorry yanks)
Italy 4 - 0 Ghana

Crap, my computer just crashed as I was about to post and I had such a similar prediction! Apart from the Ghana match. So many people have underestimated the African sides, but Ghana have got a bloody brilliant team. It's not quite as good as Ivory Coast, but then Argentina barely beat them and they're far better than Italy :p. Italy will flatter to deceive at this World Cup, they won't even top their group (Czechs will).

Australia 1 - 1 Japan

Japs have a tight defence, and have won their last three against the Aussies without conceding. However the overall record is more or less even and I expect the Aussies to be a little more pumped up this time round. Viduka and Hamburg man Takahara to score.

USA 0 - 2 Czech Republic

Baros and Koller to score for the dark horses for the entire tournament. Petr Czech will be hard to score against, the front two have a great record and Rosicky and Nedved will be a handful. I hope Rosicky has a good game (as an Arsenal man) but looking at the goalscoring record it's more likely to be the front two.

Italy 2 - 1 Ghana

Kuffour will know the threat of Totti, Perotta and De Rossi as he plays for Roma. He could be the man to stifle Totti, who will be key to Italy winning. Appiah and Essien will probably come out on top in the midfield battle, and Appiah will know the Juventus boys well from his time there. Muntari plays for Udinese, again in Italy. Discount Ghana at your peril.

Italy have only two goalscorers with a proven record (Del Piero and Inzaghi) and they probably won't start. Toni and Gilardino are VERY talented but they're also inexperienced at International level, and the pressure of expectation may prove too much. I still expect both of them to score as they'll dominate the Ghana defence in the air. Appiah to bag a consolation.

mehrdad368
12-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Shit.
Iran play well in first half but in second half they were just walking in the court.I want to kill Ivankovic(Iran coach).he must change daie in second half.also karimi was not able to play well because he was injured.If he 'll be ready for next match between Iran vs Portugal he'll play very well.If Iranian play the same as first half they had win it.
Anyway next matches:
ITA:3 GHA:0
USA:1 CZE:2
AUS:1 JPN:3

deviljet88
12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Ita: 2 Gha: 0
USA: 0 Cze: 1
Aus: 1 Jap:1

I refuse to profess myself as a football nut, but I will say about the Australian match, that their goal will come after half time or so because of late substitutions. Then again, as an act of patriotism, I've given them the chance of a draw. But... hm.

Hazzle
12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Shit.
Iran play well in first half but in second half they were just walking in the court.I want to kill Ivankovic(Iran coach).he must change daie in second half.also karimi was not able to play well because he was injured.If he 'll be ready for next match between Iran vs Portugal he'll play very well.If Iranian play the same as first half they had win it.

No fucking way would you have won it. Drawn? Probably. Daie looked off the pace, should've come off at half time, I agree. But your defence was shocking and handed them their second goal and with it, the game. You guys need to organise the defence better.

Pygmalion
12-06-2006, 02:55 PM
FUCK YOU ALL SCEPTICS!!!
3:1 3:1 3:1!!!!

whoop WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hazzle
12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
FUCK YOU ALL SCEPTICS!!!
3:1 3:1 3:1!!!!

whoop WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Who was a skeptic? I expected you guys to do well. Jet was right though, VERY late goals to win it. I think if you'd scored earlier, the game would've ended up drawn, but when you score late like that it deflates the opposition and makes it easier to get the win.

Heh, Mehrdad called the scoreline but the wrong way round...

Fully expect Australia to finish above Japan, I expect them to give a decent account of themselves against Brazil (but you will get beaten) and Croatia. If you beat Croatia you'll go through, because they won't beat Brazil either. The Croatia-Australia game is up for grabs in my view, Croatia are strong, but not unbeatable, and you've got a good side. Viduka'll be up for it against his parents home country.

Pygmalion
12-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Viduka'll be up for it against his parents home country.

Hahaha we pay Viduka out for being fat. Nobody got over the penalties he missed against Uruguay last year.

Jacoby
12-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Wow...

Score at 80 minutes, Czech 3, USA 0. We are getting our asses handed to us.
We had a much better draw last cup (correct?).

I was watching the Portugal game last night. I figured Portugal's defense was amazing, they'd gain back possesion in seconds flat, but their offense was a little soft (at least in the second half that I watched) they were passing a lot inside the box. Which is actually how they scored their first goal, but near the end there they had a few missed opportunities.

Hazzle
12-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Wow...

Score at 80 minutes, Czech 3, USA 0. We are getting our asses handed to us.
We had a much better draw last cup (correct?).

I was watching the Portugal game last night. I figured Portugal's defense was amazing, they'd gain back possesion in seconds flat, but their offense was a little soft (at least in the second half that I watched) they were passing a lot inside the box. Which is actually how they scored their first goal, but near the end there they had a few missed opportunities.

Angola lacked the cutting edge up front, don't think Portugal's defence was tested that hard. But they did well with what they had to. They tended to overplay the ball when attacking and ended up wasting chance, I agree.

The Czechs are a fucking good side. Expect Ghana to give you a hard time too, on tonight's performance, as they had two very clear penalty claims turned down. Had they been given them, 2-2 or even 2-1 was on the cards, as Italy hadn't even scored their second. Fucking disgrace. I wonder if the Brazilian ref was worried about the Italians finishing second and facing Brazil in the next round :p. I still think they will, actually, Czechs will beat them imho. Rosicky...what a player. We signed a real jem there, so happy as an Arsenal fan!

As for the last cup, yeah, you got an easier draw, this time round I think you may come home without a point. At best you'll get a point.

1 goal away in both the Czech and Italian game today. Even predicted Koller would score (but then, how hard is that, he's 6'8 and has a great goalscoring record). They'll miss him now he's injured but still expect them to make the semis.

Anyway, thanks to the cheating Italians and Ghana being denied those penalties, the score was 2-0, meaning Jet got another right. He's winning decisively right now.

Foeni
12-06-2006, 09:24 PM
The ref sucked in the last 30 minutes of the Italy-Ghana game. Not only did he miss the clear penalty kick (not sure the phrase is correct in English), he also missed how that Italian player was kicked down near Ghana's goal. Anyway, I would have like Ghana to win. I don't like the Italian team, they're a bunch of whining pussies. They cry like babies whenever you breath on them, and they're angels when they deserve the red card. Of course the fact that Totti spitted Danish Christian Poulsen in the face (don't remember the tournament, but it was recently), might make me dislike the Italians just a tad more.

Forgive my poor English football vocabulary, I ususally never talk about football in English.

Jacoby
12-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I remember the 2002 cup, it was the first time I actually watched soccer. I think the first game I watched was an Italy match, and I kept thinking "Wow, this Totti guy keeps falling and crying, and the other players aren't even touching him." Taking dives like a fat vagina.

Hazzle
12-06-2006, 09:37 PM
The Italians were incredibly cynical tonight. Not surprising. Totti was actually not as bad as others. Despise them and I hope the Czechs force them into second spot, because there's no way that bunch of whining prima donnas will beat Brazil.

devine kk
13-06-2006, 07:07 AM
S Korea 2 v 0 Togo - SK will be to skilled against a physical Togo
France 3 v 1 Switzerland - If Henry is on form no stopping France
Brazil 4 v 0 Croatia - Goes without saying

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 08:11 AM
S Korea 2 v 0 Togo - SK will be to skilled against a physical Togo

Agree that the Koreans have the edge but I think the African sides have shown that they're a goalscoring threat. Unlike Ghana and Angola, however, Togo have a top class striker in Arsenal's Adebayor. He top scored in the African qualifying section (which includes Drogba's Ivory Coast) with 11 in 12 games.

So I'd go with 2-1, Adebayor to score for Togo, Man United man Park Ji-sung and Jung-Hwan Ahn, who plays in Germany for Duisberg, to score for South Korea.

France 3 v 1 Switzerland - If Henry is on form no stopping France

Whilst I think Henry will be crucial to France's chances of winning, as he was missing in the two matches the teams played in qualifying (both ending drawn) if the Arsenal duo of Senderos and Djourou start they will have the advantage of knowing Thierry inside and out.

I'm actually going for a 1-1 draw, Henry and Senderos to score.

Brazil 4 v 0 Croatia - Goes without saying

Agreed. I was going to say 4-0 too, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Adriano to each bag one? Could even see an Adriano hat-trick. Ronaldo needs just two more to equal Gerd Muller's all time record of goals at World Cups, and just one more to beat Pele's record for Brazil (he's tied with Pele currently). Maybe this is the game he proves himself as one of Brazil's all time greats? Even if he is overweight...

If Brazil score very early this could turn into a goalfest, and even Germany's 8-0 thrashing of the Saudis at the last tournament could come under threat, and the all time record of 9 goal defeats may even be on the cards. Being conservative, however, I'll stick with just the four.

deviljet88
13-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Brazil 3 Croatia 0
France 1 Swiss 0
S Korea 2 Togo 0

Australian match was... amazing. Brazil's going to give them a good kicking in the balls though if they get all cocky about it ^^

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Brazil 3 Croatia 0
France 2 Swiss 0
S Korea 2 Togo 0

I'm amazed you expect the French and South Koreans to keep clean sheets. South Korea have a small defence and African sides, Togo especially, are very physical. Plus the French defence is pants. Only Gallas is any good. Creaking team imho. But then you are the man with the midas touch at the moment and keep guessing right, so who am I to question you?

Australian match was... amazing. Brazil's going to give them a good kicking in the balls though if they get all cocky about it ^^

Agreed

deviljet88
13-06-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm amazed you expect the French and South Koreans to keep clean sheets.

I thought the column of 0's would look cool :icon_redf I'm not confident at all about these matches, haven't seen most of these teams play recently...

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I thought the column of 0's would look cool :icon_redf I'm not confident at all about these matches, haven't seen most of these teams play recently...

Heh. French looked very average in qualification, hence having to beg Makelele and Zidane to come out of retirement. Not sure Zidane adds anything either, as he's well past his best, his touch isn't quite as assured, and he looks devoid of ideas. He certainly isn't the man he was in 1998, but then that was 8 years ago! If you want an idea of how bad the French were in qualifying check this (http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/wc2006/q-groups/europe/group4.html) out.

Swiss got two draws out of France in qualifying, and but for some bad finishing against the Irish they would have beaten them and taken top spot from France. The Swiss outscored the French in the group too, 18 goals to 14. France. That's how bad France were and how good the Swiss were.

Even if the French top the group (and they might not, although I still expect them to do so) they didn't convince in qualifying, and I don't see them as potential winners.

duckula
13-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Sk 2 - 1 Togo
France 2 - 0 Switzerland
Brazil 3 - 1 Croatia

duckula
13-06-2006, 03:42 PM
2-1 to SK as I and others predicted.

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 03:50 PM
2-1 to SK as I and others predicted.

Actually Ducks, was just you and me. Finally got one right!

At present it's Jet 2, Haz 1, Ducks 1. Everyone else has yet to guess one right.

Pygmalion
13-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Ha I've learnt my lesson in terms of team tipping, I'm currently running last in the National Rugby League tipping at work.

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I told everyone France wouldn't beat the Swiss. Swiss deserved to win, in fact, definitely had the better chances and the French performance was worse than even England's (which I thought was pathetic). Wouldn't utterly shock me if South Korea got a result against them, they played well in their match, have some World Cup experience and have 3 points under their belts already. They have the luxury of being able to sit back and try and hit the French on the break, as they don't have to win to go through.

Could we see the French go out at the first hurdle again, perhaps again without scoring a goal? I doubt it the latter, but the Swiss look capable of going through, as do the Koreans, and the French will have to be at their best to go through. What a boring match that was...

Now onto a match that will definitely entertain, the opening game for the holders, most successful World Cup team in history (qualified for all 18 tournaments, got to the final 7 times and won it 5) and favourites to win the tournament again...

fandekeira
13-06-2006, 06:45 PM
france won't never go trough!!they are sucking!if they are not able to beat swiss they'll have any chance against bresil or portugal..

btw about henry, yes he is a good player in arsenal(dont remenber exactly where he plays) but in french team he never goals!!

france has the the biggest age above!thaey are old player who sould stop football like zidane or barthez to let other young ones!

but well france 'll be dissmised before the quarter of final(aznyway they wont go as far)

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 07:00 PM
The criticisms of Henry are unfair. He never gets the support like he does at Arsenal, he plays by himself up front and none of the midfield comes up to join him. If you want the best out of him you have to make him the focus of the team, NOT Zidane. If that means dropping Zidane, so be it.

I have the answer to French problems but it won't happen. Dhorasoo on the right, Ribery on the left, Makelele and Zidane in midfield and Henry and Saha up front. Never EVER going to happen as it's too adventurous. Domenech is the problem, not Henry, and not even the players. You have a worse coach than we do. And that says a lot as Sven's rubbish.

Ranman
13-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Why do I keep reading this thread? I hate soccer
hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate

marine
13-06-2006, 08:10 PM
france won't never go trough!!they are sucking!if they are not able to beat swiss they'll have any chance against bresil or portugal..

btw about henry, yes he is a good player in arsenal(dont remenber exactly where he plays) but in french team he never goals!!

france has the the biggest age above!thaey are old player who sould stop football like zidane or barthez to let other young ones!

but well france 'll be dissmised before the quarter of final(aznyway they wont go as far)

Come on, Henry does score in the French Team and if he's better in Arsenal it's because he's kind of the star of the team.
What Hazzle said a few posts above it's true, Zidane is no longer the best player of the team but he's kind of a national hero so...

fandekeira
13-06-2006, 08:23 PM
yes zidane is maybe a hero he has been a great player but now he's too old!

haz i didnt want to talk about domenech but yes it's him the real problem of the french team, but i didnt know that u knew him. he is not a good.

Hazzle
13-06-2006, 09:02 PM
He's awful. You have the players to win the tournament, although Cisse's broken leg is a big blow. But the formations you play baffle me.

Anyway, not to worry, Brazil were shockingly bad tonight too. Barring Kaka they all need to buck up their ideas. Ronaldinho had moments, and lacked support, but was quiet (as he seems to be in big games...was poor in the Champions League final too), Ronaldo should never again wear a Brazil shit (he's an insult to it, complete lack of effort on his part) and Adriano needed to work harder when he didn't have the ball.

On the basis of these performances so far, you'd have to say Argentina look favourites. If Brazil play like that again, Australia may even beat them, as I think they're better than the Croats.

Jet's still leading our little game but me and Ducky are pushing hard.

hasselbrad
13-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Cisse's broken leg is a big blow
Barring Kaka they all need to buck up their ideas

Sissy and ka-ka? WTF? Is this the World Cup or a second grade playground?
;)

duckula
13-06-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm loath to make any real predictions on how the tournament will turn out based on first match performances. It always takes team time to get into it. After the next load of matches maybe.

devine kk
14-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Well the road is clear for us brits with Brazil's under performance yesterday. They looked remarkably average, the odd glimpse of genius but average

Lets see who we have got today:

Spain 0 v Ukraine 0 - Without doubt spain will fail to deliver in a tournament
Tunisia 1 v S Abrabia 1 - sticking with the draw, have no idea how this will go
Germany 1 v poland 0 - a hard fought tie but germany should have the edge

Hazzle
14-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm loath to make any real predictions on how the tournament will turn out based on first match performances. It always takes team time to get into it. After the next load of matches maybe.

Argentina were second favourites before the tournament began and of the favourites, both they and the Czechs have hit the ground running. I'm not sure it always takes teams time to settle, as those two settled in perfectly already. I'm not saying it's a dead cert, and if Brazil play like they can, I still think they'll win, but they will need to up it, there's no doubt about that. If I was predicted from first-round games (and I wasn't) the Czechs looked the best. Still don't fancy them to win it though.

I predicted an Argentina-Brazil final (first in history) with England meeting the Czechs for third place before the tournament began. If I turn out to be right I'll kick myself for not putting a bet on!

Well the road is clear for us brits with Brazil's under performance yesterday. They looked remarkably average, the odd glimpse of genius but average

England were hardly much better. At least with Brazil you felt they were playing within themselves, hardly got out of first gear. Not sure you can say the same about England.

Spain 1 v 0 Ukraine.

Reyes to score for the Spaniards. Without Shevchenko the Ukraine will suffer but Spain never look like being a team that'll roll anyone over. Still expect them to get off to a good start.

Tunisia 1 - 0 Saudi Arabia.

Saudis are a poor poor side, Tunisia aren't quite that terrible, and they'll probably sneak a win. But it won't be a pretty match.

Germany 1 v poland 0

Did you REALLY predict a clean sheet for Germany? NEVER going to happen. They couldn't keep a clean sheet against the Saudis the way they've been playing the last 2 years. If the Japs can score 2 past them, the Italians tonk them 3-0, you know something's wrong. No clean sheet for them all tournament, mark my words.

Germany 3 - 1 Poland

Ballack, Pudolski and Klose to score for the hosts, Smolarek for the Poles, who've never beaten Germany. With Ballack back, Germany will play even better than they did against Costa Rica, going forward at least, and even if the Poles up their game (and I expect them to) the Germans will prove too strong in the end.

Soccer's 4 pussies:fencing:

En garde

No, cats can't play football. The breakaway Whiskers Premier League was banned in 2002.

Hazzle
14-06-2006, 09:29 AM
All right.

Soccer's 4 pantywaist wimps

Touche!

:fencing:

Dude, you'd have thought being banned once would've taught you read the rules:

3. No Netspeak. This means we do not tolerate condensed use of shorthand or abbreviated prose in the style of SMS text messages "wot r u doin m8?" or "1337 sp34k" leet speak. If you are educated enough to use the internet then your ability to write correct English must reflect this.

And while we're on the subject of English, it's not soccer you gay knobjockey. It's football.

Basketball, however, is very much for pantywaist wimps.

Hazzle
14-06-2006, 09:51 AM
No Netspeak on the Net? Makes as much sense as badger biscuits. But if badger biscuits and no netspeak are part of KKW, ah well . . . I suppose I'll become a football fan now, too.

If you don't like it, you can always leave. Netspeak is for idiots.

duckula
14-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Spain 2 - 1 Ukraine
Tunisia 2 - 0 Saudi Arabia
Germany 2 - 1 Poland

deviljet88
14-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Spain 1 - Ukraine 1
Tunisia 2 - Saudi Arabia 0
Germany 2 - Poland 0

Hazzle
14-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Fuck me Spain looked good. This could be their year, they've always had the players but now they don't have prized cunts like Raul ruining it. Keep him on the bench Aragones.

They looked mobile and sharp. Given the Czechs (the only other side to look this good) could be without Koller and Baros for the whole tournament (there's no news to confirm either way), Spain have a solid chance. Still think they might struggle to get that sort of space against a team like Argentina but still.

Edit: What a day for surprising results, eh? Don't think any of those were predictable.

Oh, and speaking hooliganism at the World Cup, was talking to an American football fan (that wasn't very clear, not an American Football fan, but a fan of football who's American) about the hooliganism claims thrown about, and he says tailgating parties for NFL teams are just as common and just as bad. He's been to one for the Eagles where there were a lot of fights. Basically it's alcohol + men feeling all testosteroney + some failed sports stars (a lot of hooligans are people who tried to be successful in the sport in question and flopped).

devine kk
15-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Ecuador 1 v Costa Rica 0
England 3 v Trinidad and Tobago 1 (Roooooonnnnneeeeeyyyyyyy)
Sweden 2 v Paraguay 1

deviljet88
15-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Ecuador 2 v Costa Rica 1
England 1 v Trinidad 0
Sweden 1 v Paraguay 0

Hazzle
15-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Ecuador 2 v 1 Costa Rica

Delgado and Tenorio for Ecuador and Wanchope for Costa Rica.

England 2 - 0 T & T

It'll be a tough task for England having to play two teams in one day but they'll manage it. 11 v 22 really isn't fair though. Anyway, Crouch and Gerrard to score.

Sweden 2-1 Paraguay.

Ibrahimovic and Larsson to score for the Swedes, Valdes for the South Americans.

hasselbrad
15-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Oh, and speaking hooliganism at the World Cup, was talking to an American football fan (that wasn't very clear, not an American Football fan, but a fan of football who's American) about the hooliganism claims thrown about, and he says tailgating parties for NFL teams are just as common and just as bad. He's been to one for the Eagles where there were a lot of fights. Basically it's alcohol + men feeling all testosteroney + some failed sports stars (a lot of hooligans are people who tried to be successful in the sport in question and flopped).

Using "Eagles Fan" as a representative of American football's fan base isn't exactly fair. That's kind of like lumping all English fans in with the worst of the worst of hooligans. "Eagles Fan" is a repulsive, sub-human species that was in clear danger of losing use of its frontal lobe and opposable thumb.
It's gotten better since they moved out of that toilet they used to play in. Veterans Stadium was the equivalent of a sewer, full of rats and other assorted sewage.

marine
15-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Ecuador 2 v 1 Costa Rica

Delgado and Tenorio for Ecuador and Wanchope for Costa Rica.

not bad

Hazzle
15-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Using "Eagles Fan" as a representative of American football's fan base isn't exactly fair. That's kind of like lumping all English fans in with the worst of the worst of hooligans.

Which is what you're doing! We all know that when Americans talk about "soccer hooliganism" they're taking a little dig at the English. My point was simply that hooliganism exists in most sports, it's a mixture of alcohol and testosterone. I would say if you get young men drunk and give them even the slightest provocation to fight, they'll fight. So a physical game, like football, Rugby or American Football is a perfect opportunity.

not bad

But not QUITE right. Wanchope had a few half-chances, and I knew that the front two would both score as they both scored in the first game and looked lethal. They'll trouble England if we meet them (so I'm hoping that we don't).

However I DID get the England T & T result down, if you pardon the pun, to a T. 2-0 England, Crouch and Gerrard. Even got the order right!

So I think that makes it:

Me 2
Jet 2
Ducky 1

Do I get a bonus point for getting the scorers correct and in the right order?

(I REALLY should've had a bet on, shouldn't I? Crouch to score first and England to win 2-0 would've been a good bet).

Gallopin' Gaucho
15-06-2006, 06:30 PM
"We all know that when Americans talk about "soccer hooliganism" they're taking a little dig at the English."

First off, trick, I don't know any Americans who'd use such a fruity word like "hooligan". Second off, you redcoats don't know shit about "hooliganism" till you come out to the Raider's Black Hole.

Hazzle
15-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Hah. Really? You really don't know much about the factories then. The mythical idea most Americans have of the English is very much a false impression. Most of you have never been out of your own country, which would explain it, but you'd find, if you did, that the impressions you have of the English as soft posh pansies is very much wrong.

As for not using the word hooligans...no...course not. That's not why the film Green Street (about those factories but very much watered down) was renamed Green Street Hooligans for fear it may confuse you Americans, was it?

Gallopin' Gaucho
15-06-2006, 06:37 PM
"Hooligans" didn't even make a dent at the US box office. Wonder why that is?

Tell you the truth, us filthy, mannerless Americans don't spend much time gawking at Guy Ritchie's shit. We spend more time gawking at his wife.

marine
15-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Hah. Really? You really don't know much about the factories then. The mythical idea most Americans have of the English is very much a false impression. Most of you have never been out of your own country, which would explain it, but you'd find, if you did, that the impressions you have of the English as soft posh pansies is very much wrong.

As for not using the word hooligans...no...course not. That's not why the film Green Street (about those factories but very much watered down) was renamed Green Street Hooligans for fear it may confuse you Americans, was it?

what do you mean watered down? Pardon my naivety but I found it violent enough for something supposed to reflects reality.

Hazzle
15-06-2006, 06:42 PM
It's a lot more violent than that in reality. It's not naive Marine, it's something the authorities try and hide. Plus I don't think it's quite so bad in French football but in Spain, Italy and England...sheesh.

Back to the game and Jet just edges ahead after the Sweden game:

Jet 3
Haz 2
Ducky 1

devine kk
16-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Back to the game and Jet just edges ahead after the Sweden game:

Jet 3
Haz 2
Ducky 1

Devine 1 out of 12 correct scores, 9/12 correct results

Argentina 3 v Serbia & Montenegro 1
Hollland 2 v Ivory Coast 1
Mexico 3 v Angola 0

Hazzle
16-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Devine 1 out of 12 correct scores, 9/12 correct results

If we're counting results I've gotten 15 right :p

I did miss your one though (the Germans against the Poles) so it's:

Jet 3
Haz 2
Devine 1
Ducky 1

As for today:

Argentina 1 - 0 Serbia-Montenegro
Holland 1 - 2 Ivory Coast (you heard it here first)
Mexico 2-0 Angola

deviljet88
16-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Arg 2 - Ser 0
Ned 1 - IC 1 (uhm... Drogba?)
Mexico 1 (Omar?) - Angola 0

Hazzle
16-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Ned 1 - IC 1 (uhm... Drogba?)

Gonna take a punt on the Dutch scorer?

Oh, and we never did decide, do we get extra points for goalscorers or not? I think you should if you get it spot on (ie if Omar scores the only goal for Mexico and they win 1-0, Jet gets 2 points not 1). So Jet would need to guess the Dutch scorer and get both right to get a bonus point.

If we do I'd better crack on with predicting goalscorers :p

deviljet88
16-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Ewww no goalscorers unless there's a final tie at the end of the tournament lol. I'm just randomly picking out names that the television throws at me or just previous scorers :P And thus, the Ned scorer I'll choose is... Arjen Robben! ^^

Edit: And Argentina's Crespo. Yay.

Hazzle
16-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok, agreed. That's a lot fairer.

I'm gonna go with Riquelme for Argentina.

Van Persie for the Dutch and Drogba with both for the Ivory Coast.

Omar Bravo to score for the Mexicans.

EDIT: Think it's clear noone got the Argentina prediction right.

Do the Argies look good for the tournament or what? They look quality to me. They just cut up the best defence in qualifying, anywhere in the world, a team that conceded just one goal. Now ok, they're missing their best defender (Man Utd's Vidic) but still! Quality.

deviljet88
16-06-2006, 02:57 PM
What the motherfucker, 6-0 Argentinian win? WTF WTF.

Hazzle
16-06-2006, 03:07 PM
What the motherfucker, 6-0 Argentinian win? WTF WTF.

Against a team that conceded just one goal all through qualification.

And playing fucking well.

They've got to be favourites after how dour Brazil, France, England and Germany have been. They've got a tough group and walked it so far.

devine kk
16-06-2006, 08:03 PM
That is one more for Devine (holland).

Here’s the next few days as I am going away and I don’t want to miss out.

Saturday, 17 June 2006
Czech Republic 3 v Ghana 0
Italy 3 v USA 0
Portugal 3 v Iran 0 (pains me to say it because I got Iran in sweep at work)

Sunday, 18 June 2006
Brazil 2 v Australia 1
France 1 v South Korea 0
Japan 0 v Croatia 2

Monday, 19 June 2006
Saudi Arabia 1 v Ukraine 1
Spain 4 v Tunisia 0
Togo 0 v Switzerland 0

deviljet88
17-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Port 2 vs Iran 0
Czech 2 vs Ghana 0
Italy 2 vs USA 0

Yay.

Hazzle
17-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Current running scores are:

Jet 3
Haz 2
Devine 2
Ducky 1

Getting interesting now :p

Portugal 3-0 Iran
Czech 2-0 Ghana
Italy 2-0 USA

Edit: After the shock result in the Ghana game (I knew an African side would shock someone but I fully expected it to be the Ivory Coast against Holland...Ghana would've been my second pick but I thought I'd play it safe after being wrong yesterday...crap!) the scores are:

Jet 4
Haz 2
Devine 2
Ducky 1

Jet's extending his lead. A 2-0 win for the Italians wouldn't actually change it (wish I hadn't gone the same way as him now :p) but it'd stretch the gap between me and Devine. Ducky's not had a punt recently...and a few others have stopped guessing...c'mon folks!

Edit 2: After an even bigger shock result (although on the basis of the match the USA deserved to win. The goal by Beasley was not offside and the two US sendings off were harsh) the scores are as they were before.

Kelsey
18-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah, that game was quite a shocker. I'm just as shocked as the next person that the U.S. is still in the running, but it was nice to see them stay alive after that ref issue. You're right, not offsides, and those sendoffs, especially the second one, was crap.

deviljet88
18-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Croatia 2 - Japan 0
Brazil 2 - Australia 1
France 1 - S Korea 1

Kiss of death on Australia yet again, but hey, they proved me wrong last time ^^ I'll probably stay up for this one mmm.

Hazzle
18-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Croatia 1 -0 Japan
Brazil 3-1 Australia
France 2-0 South Korea

deviljet88
18-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Phewf, Croatia missed their penalty, denying Hazzle winning a tip that he deserved :P Now to watch Australia's match at 2am woooo!!!

Hazzle
18-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks my man. They never really look capable of spanking anyone. The Aussies will beat them if you ask me, despite what the scorelines between Brazil and Croatia and Brazil and Australia say.

Brazil were a DAMN sight better today, and whilst I think they deserved the two goal lead (people claim it was harsh but if Ronaldo wasn't such a spastic cunt they'd have scored at least once more), the Aussies did well to restrict them to that as I thought they were a lot better than against the Croats. Not to mention that that game will be like a derby match with 7 of the Aussie squad being Croat-born and 2 of the Croat squad being Aussie born.

Until the France match the scores are as they were.

Edit: Refereeing decision cost me my rightful prediction this time. France's disallowed goal was clearly over the line and that would've put me on track for 2-1. Oh well. As it happens, Jet got it right, so it's:

Jet 5
Haz 2
Devine 2
Ducky 1

Jet's running away with it.

Pygmalion
19-06-2006, 03:56 AM
There were three priceless moments in the Australia vs. Brazil game, and I'd like to pause and remember them:

3. When Australian boy Emerton fouled and was pulled up. the camera showed him mouthing with great gusto "OHHHH FUCK OFF!!!!" Causing the ref to give him a yellow card. GO AUSSIES!

2. When Ronaldo missed that kick hahahahaha. I admit he played a lot better than against Croatia, but I still laughed when his leg got raked by an Aussie boot.

And finally, the greatest moment ever. I'm not sure if any other country's commentators picked this up, did they?

1. There was a point when Ronaldino had the ball, and the Australian commentator said:
"Well now thats a bit low, donkey noises coming from the crowd."
Fuck I'm proud to be an Australian.

Hazzle
19-06-2006, 06:58 AM
There were three priceless moments in the Australia vs. Brazil game, and I'd like to pause and remember them:

Your boys did you proud. Worked hard, and whilst Brazil were good for a 2-0 win you could've very easily stolen the draw.

3. When Australian boy Emerton fouled and was pulled up. the camera showed him mouthing with great gusto "OHHHH FUCK OFF!!!!" Causing the ref to give him a yellow card. GO AUSSIES!

Heh, I saw that. He was lucky not to be off actually as the tackle should've been a booking too. But that would've ruined the game so I'm glad it didn't happen, and anyway, the Aussies made a couple of far dirtier tackles.

2. When Ronaldo missed that kick hahahahaha. I admit he played a lot better than against Croatia, but I still laughed when his leg got raked by an Aussie boot.

Heh, that was fucking class. He's a spasmo at the moment, no international forward should strike a ball like that, let alone a man gunning to become the top goalscorer in World Cup history. He'll probably end up scoring a hat-trick against the Japs to do it and then be a lazy fucking layabout the rest of the tournament. The rake, however, was no laughing matter, and a definite red card. It's a shame as I don't think the Aussies had been dirty against Japan, just physical, and after the crap both Japan and Brazil made before the games about Australia being thugs, your boys had a great chance to add to the pride your nation should feel, not take from it.

And finally, the greatest moment ever. I'm not sure if any other country's commentators picked this up, did they?

1. There was a point when Ronaldino had the ball, and the Australian commentator said:
"Well now thats a bit low, donkey noises coming from the crowd."
Fuck I'm proud to be an Australian.

Heh, no, they didn't pick up on that here. Fucking class. He played like a donkey too. Kaka once again was the inspiration, he and Adriano played pretty well, although Adriano REALLY needs to start working on his right foot.

deviljet88
19-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Tog 0 - Sui 0
Saudi 1 - Ukr 2
Spa 3 - Tun 0

Meh, these games appear really boring or ridiculously high scoring so... I've got no idea.

Hazzle
19-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Tog 0 - Sui 0
Saudi 1 - Ukr 2
Spa 3 - Tun 0

Meh, these games appear really boring or ridiculously high scoring so... I've got no idea.

I agree.

Togo 0 - 1 Switzerland
Saudi Arabia 0 - 1 Ukraine
Spain 6-0 Tunisia

Edit: After the Fab show from Cesc Fabregas Spain managed to win, but none of us got the scoreline correct. In fact we all got them all wrong today so the scores are the same as before.