PDA

View Full Version : Fucking Trial Lawyers!

hasselbrad
07-06-2006, 01:00 PM
No offense, Hazzle. ;)

Stayed up watching election results from the Alabama state primaries. My cousin was running for re-election to the state senate. He lost. Nine terms in the senate and he gets bumped in the primary by a woman being propped up by one of his enemies in the senate and funded by trial attorneys. The trial attorneys wanted him out because he managed to get tort reforms through the senate nearly a decade ago. Before that, the legal system in the state of Alabama was their "lottery".
Now, the ignorant rednecks in that district will get what they deserve. Their representation in Montgomery will either be a Republican from Lee County (the southern-most county of the district...and the largest population center) or the dumbass, know-nothing woman who will be a puppet of Lowell Barron and the trial lawyers.
You reap what you sow.
Luckily, my cousin will wind up on Bob Riley's (the current and future governor) cabinet.

/rant

Edited by Barrington: please be more manly and swear in full. Title amended.

Sorry Baz...just bowing to goddamned fucking thin-skinned sensibilities of the ankle biters. Won't let it fucking happen again.

Ranman
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
My Parents are Lawyers you dick

Hazzle
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
My Parents are Lawyers you dick

Explains a lot...

hasselbrad
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
And his son is in law school.
Point is, the trial lawyers are stacking the senate to turn the state's courts into a fucking lottery again.
Alabama is the state where a guy whose BMW had a lousy paint job got a judgement of tens of millions of dollars in punitive damages, prior to tort reforms.
:p

Hazzle
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm also not a lawyer Brad. And I agree with Tort reforms.

hasselbrad
07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm also not a lawyer Brad. And I agree with Tort reforms.
Oh...I thought you were. Sorry to have lumped you into that group. :icon_redf

BTW, Ranster...what sort of attorneys are your parental units?

Ranman
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Dad's a criminal defence and mom'sa realestate

You guys won't be against tort reforms when its you who gets hurt

hasselbrad
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Dad's a criminal defence and mom'sa realestate

You guys won't be for tort reforms when its you who gets hurt
fixed. ;)

Then I wasn't even talking about your parents. They aren't the ones suing for 75 million dollars for a bad paint job. I have friends that are attorneys. I have relatives that are attorneys. The run of the mill attorney isn't the problem. It's the ones who roll the dice on every case, even when their clients were pretty much entirely in the wrong.
Example:
In Clay County, where my cousin is from, there was a really bad car wreck in which two people were turned into vegetables and a third was killed. The parents of the driver sued Chrysler and won twenty-some-odd-million dollars because it was determined that the seat belt was faulty.
Nevermind the fact that their sweet little baby was over twice the legal limit, both in MPH and BAC and traveling on the wrong side of a double yellow line in a convertable when the accident occurred. Oh, and was a senior in high school...thus drinking underage.
None of that mattered, simply because some piece broke in the seat belt mechanism under extreme conditions, and Chrysler's insurance company had to dole out tens of millions of dollars.
Guess who pays for that in the long run?

Hazzle
07-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm a old law student Brad, but never took it up. Hence the confusion. Don't apologise, I wouldn't be ashamed if I was a lawyer, I'm just not.

Tort reform is needed because it's gotten out of hand and entirely ridiculous. The majority of cases are bogus and a drain on the insurance industry. Which means everyone's premiums go up.

Everyone suffers when tort law goes nuts. Personally I like the idea that we cut it back so that people learn to actually be careful, the fuckwits.

Kelsey
08-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Lawyers suck. I like to argue, my mom always tells me I should think about law school.

I don't know anything about the Florida elections, but I'm pissed about the California elections. Fucking Phil Angelides is a dumbass. Hopefully Schwarzenegger can get one more out of Californians...cause even he's better than Angelwhateverthefuckhisnameis.

kingdumbass
08-06-2006, 02:50 AM
The more fucked-up the American political situation becomes, the happier I am....
For instance, I like politicians who accept bribes. If there was a candidate in my area who I knew was corrupt, I would vote for him without hesitation.

That's the kind of guy I am.

Hazzle
08-06-2006, 09:35 AM
You should think about law school Kelsey, I reckon you'd be good at it.

Lawyers actually make great politicians. They understand the underlying system within which politics operates better than anyone. However I'd say they make better legislators than executive decision makers.

Swordsman
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Anyone see the season finale of Law & Order? Jack McCoy was one pissed off district attorney.