PDA

View Full Version : Best Movie/Game Theme of All Time

DragonRat
15-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Throughout the history of movies and video games, much of the plotline and presence have been inculcated and interpreted by the compositions that match them. With such composers as John Williams and Nobuo Uematsu, movie and video game themes are deservedly some of the greatest musical scores written. So what is your favorite? I'd say put down a top 5.

5. the theme from Once Upon A Time In China - if you're Chinese, and you don't know this song (if not the lyrics, then at least the melody), then you're bound to be outcast; it's too good.

4. John Williams - theme from Schindler's List (the violin solo is one of the best there is...I believe it was played by Itzhak Perlman.)

3. Nobuo Uematsu - "Theme of Love" from Final Fantasy IV (if you haven't listened to this, then do so; it is one of the better balladic compositions I've heard.)

2. Ennio Morricone - "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly" from The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly (you know, once you hear this, you're bound for a gunfight; the showdown with Blondie, Angel Eyes, and Tuco is probably the best cinematic scene with only three people.)

1. John Williams - "The Hologram/Binary Sunset" from Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope (it combined Obi-Wan's theme, Leia's theme, and part of the Imperial theme into this mood for Luke, when he looks out in the Tatooine sunset and ponders his yearnings.)

Kelsey
15-07-2004, 07:49 PM
I can only think of one at the moment, and I don't even know what it is called. It was (or still is, whatever the current status of the show is) the theme song for Cold Case, and then was on the trailers for movies like Vanity Fair and Mystic River. It sounds cool, I get it in my head every once in awhile.

Spire
15-07-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm a very big fan of videogame music, owning the Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Final Fantasy Tactics soundtracks, all imported from Japan. So let's see just how big of a geek I am...

5. Yasunori Mitsuda - "One Who Bares Fangs at God" from Xenogears. A very deep, dark piece featuring a male and a children's choir, underground industrial sounds and a haunting piano solo. Quite a great piece of music.

4. Yasunori Mitsuda - "Ship of Regret and Sleep" from Xenogears. An astounding piece of music I didn't notice when I played the game, but came to love when I bought the soundtrack. The main instrument is a cross between a piano and a mandolin and is backed by a choir that echoes the sound of an old cathedral choir. Very mesmerizing and somehow sad.

3. Yasunori Mitsuda - "Secret of the Forest" from Chrono Trigger. This is one is mysterious, and fascinating. I really fell in love with this one when I bought the "Brink of Time" Chrono Trigger jazz remix CD. The remixed version is wonderful, and gave me a much greater appreciation for the original. Perfect forest music.

2. Yasunori Mitsuda - "Zeal Theme" from Chrono Trigger. CT is my favorite game of all time. And a big part of that is it's amazing soundtrack by one of the best composers in the world. Mitsuda hasn't composed a bad score yet. The Zeal Theme music is simply stunning. You first encounter when you warp to a island floating above the clouds, with waterfalls pouring over the sides down onto the earth thousands of feet below. It's one of my favorite places to visit in any game and the music complements it so very, very well.

1. Howard Shore - "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum" from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. The LotR soundtrack is absolutely the best thing I've ever heard. I love all of it and still listen it to it constantly. I own all 3 Special Edition soundtracks and choosing a single favorite song from those is very hard. In the end though, "Bridge of Khazad-Dum" is a great track that features the best version of the Fellowship theme as well as some really awesome bass.

Ah, and I love so many songs, I just have to give some honorable mentions:

1. "Showdown with Magus" - Chrono Trigger
2. "One-Winged Angel" - Final Fantasy VII
3. "Tears of the Stars, Hearts of the People" - Xenogears
4. "Bonds of Sea and Fire" - Xenogears
5. "The One Who is Torn Apart" - Xenogears
6. "Remains of Factory" - Chrono Trigger
7. "Last Battle" - Chrono Trigger
8. "Windmill Song" - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
9. "Bloody Excrement" - Final Fantasy Tactics

ChocolateMoose
15-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Star Wars main theme...I think its a must, best theme of all time, and its so memorable which makes it great.

Lord of the Rings - I have a favourite from each of the three films. FOTR = The Ring Goes South which is the main theme, very catchy / TTT = Riders of Rohan / ROTK = The White Tree...this is such a powerful piece of music, it engulfs you in the film in a wave of emotion, I love it.

MC117
15-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Marty O'Donnell --- Halo
I tell you Halo soundtrack is Just Great

Go HERE (http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo/page.aspx?section=AudioVideo&subsection=GameMusic&page=1) for some samples

Pygmalion
15-07-2004, 10:30 PM
1 I agree with Schindler's list, it must be one of the saddest songs for violin...
2 The "Suicide Scherzo" from Clockwork Orange. I LOVE it!
3Actually the Whole Clockwork Orange soundtrack is pretty cool
4 The music from Resident Evil at the beginning...not sure who its by
5 OH! And the music in Kill Bill whenever she sees one of the Deadly Viper Assasination Squad! That plays whenever I go into Windows lol

mufiman
15-07-2004, 11:38 PM
- same as Pygmalion, the kill bill music.
-Mission Impossible theme. from the first one, not the Limp Bizkit remake for MI2.
-i loved the theme from Schindler's List as well
- Beethoven: Sym. No. 9 from a Clockwork Orange.
-Jaws.

im not too sure on video game themes though..

Renegade
16-07-2004, 12:49 AM
-Star Wars theme ofcourse, classic
-The main theme from the Lord of the Rings
-Dunno what it's called but the theme from Pulp Fiction
-Piece at the beginning of Spirited Away

Spire
16-07-2004, 01:18 AM
-Dunno what it's called but the theme from Pulp Fiction

"Misirlou" by Dick Dale and his Del-Tones.

All of Quentin Tarantino's films have incredible soundtracks.

Richard
16-07-2004, 02:00 AM
For films, that's easy:

John Carpenter's "Halloween"
Don Coscarelli's "Phantasm"
Requiem For A Dream
Jurassic Park
Resident Evil
Kill Bill, it's truly amazing.
The Exorcist

For video games, that's harder:

Resident Evil 2, the theme that played during the end credits.
Parasite Eve, during the beginning intro of the game I believe.

I only have PSX, I refuse to upgrade. At least not for $189.

Spire
16-07-2004, 02:11 AM
I though Resident Evil was a horrible movie, but I enjoyed it simply because it's based on a good series of games. I'm really looking forward to Resident Evil: Apocalypse too, I saw a new trailer at King Arthur and it looks like another action movie that doesn't really follow the games. Makes me sad, but it does have the Nemesis and Jill Valentine in it.

Richard
16-07-2004, 02:17 AM
I though Resident Evil was a horrible movie, but I enjoyed it simply because it's based on a good series of games. I'm really looking forward to Resident Evil: Apocalypse too, I saw a new trailer at King Arthur and it looks like another action movie that doesn't really follow the games. Makes me sad, but it does have the Nemesis and Jill Valentine in it.

I couldn't agree with you more, except I wouldn't call Resident Evil "horrible", but below average... which is basically the same thing. And Jill Valentine is played by the beautiful Sienna Guillory. Another great brit if you ask me.

Spire
16-07-2004, 02:26 AM
The one thing I really, really loved about the RE movie, was the ending. I was waiting the whole movie for some something, anything that resembled the game. And when she stepped outside into the city, I was very, very excited. Too bad it ended there... :(

DragonRat
16-07-2004, 02:29 AM
I must admit, the soundtracks to Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction are quite good. The cinematic music for the beginning of LOD is too good.

Richard
16-07-2004, 02:33 AM
The one thing I really, really loved about the RE movie, was the ending. I was waiting the whole movie for some something, anything that resembled the game. And when she stepped outside into the city, I was very, very excited. Too bad it ended there... :(

Yes, I'm a sucker for abandon cities.

Hazzle
16-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Entire Kill Bill score/soundtrack is the awesome...fact...nuff said.

Pygmalion
16-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Couldn't agree with you more Haz,
Back on Resident Evil lol. I just want to see another movie starring Milla Jovovich with a gun... but from shots I've seen she's not wearing the red dress anymore...pity...
I haven't seen the trailer at KA, but is it the skin care type one one? It always annoyed me-cause Milla wasn't in it lol.

DragonRat
18-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Craig Armstrong - Glasgow Love Theme (probably the greatest love theme I have heard, and Final Fantasy has a lot)

If you don't know, it's the one from Love Actually, where Keira sees the wedding tape.

frodo1511
18-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Marty O'Donnell --- Halo
I tell you Halo soundtrack is Just Great

Go HERE (http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo/page.aspx?section=AudioVideo&subsection=GameMusic&page=1) for some samples

Damn right, MC. Halo has some of the best music from any game. It completly immerses you into what seems to really be a one man battle. For those who have played the game, I especially enjoy the beginning music from the Silent Cartographer level/ entire score on the AotCR level. Oh, and from what samples
I've heard, the score for H2 isn't too shabby either.

Other choices I have:
Entire score from LOTR/ Star Wars/ Gladiator/ Jaws, and as of late, King Arthur.

Mags
18-07-2004, 08:16 PM
1. People have said the Kill Bill soundtrack, but I'm going to get a little more specific as I actually just bought the soundtrack to Vol 2.
- L'ARENA - ENNIO MORRICONE - it's just the coolest song ever. For those who want to know when it is...um...with out giving too much away...it's when the Bride is...escaping from...something, in Vol 2. There's just the best trumpet part ever and it keeps building and it's just excellent. It's not actually the theme of Vol 2, but I think it's the best song on the soundtrack.

2. The Jurrasic theme, which is actually called "Theme from Jurassic Park."
- Basically, the part when you first see all the dinosaurs all around the lake. Anyone my age who remembers that will probably recall it being, up till then, the coolest thing they'd ever seen in a movie. I remember seeing it and being totally blown away, and the music so perfectly complimented that that even just listening to that song now can take me back to how it first made me feel.

3. For a TV theme...it's gotta be West Wing. I completely and utterly love that theme song. I would listen to it all the time. Woo

Richard
18-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Since we're still somewhat on the topic of the Kill Bill soundtrack, who here liked the 5,6,7,8's. I sure as hell didn't. I mean for the film it made perfect sense to be included, but seriously... is it just me.

hasselbrad
19-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Dazed and Confused
Opens with Pickford's GTO cruising the parking lot to Sweet Emotion. It is fucking brilliant. The movie ends, and credits roll, with Slow Ride. Also perfect. That whole soundtrack kicks serious ass.
Reservior Dogs
The fellas walking to Little Green Bag. 'Nuff said.
The themes to Shaft and Superfly.
Pretty much any theme to any James Bond movie. Goldfinger, The Spy Who Loved Me, Live and Let Die. Plus, the Bond theme music itself.