PDA

View Full Version : What is the world coming to? (part 2)

Hazzle
02-06-2006, 02:38 PM
This (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006250446,00.html) is a joke. Being patriotic makes you racist now, apparently. And we're not even that much of a patriotic nation! America, Australia and pretty much every other country bar Cannuckia is more patriotic than we are.

We fly the flag because it's the World Cup coming up soon and all of a sudden we're all wearing jackboots?

Can't a man love his country anymore? Or a woman for that matter. But let's leave sexist for another time.

deviljet88
02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Ooo British flag bikini.

But yeah, World Cup fever, that's not nearly as bad as some of the stereotypes you get from the US... Good on you Poms.

Katielondon
02-06-2006, 02:48 PM
but to fly our flag we would actully have to be proud of our country in the first place, i agree though Haz i think that were too PC in this country te fact is not everyone will like everything that someone else does and the sooner the government realise they cant please everyone the better.

Hazzle
02-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Ahh, but some people ARE proud. I'm not saying everyone should be (although I do think there's a lot to be proud of). I don't say "If you're not a patriot, leave now". I just think that as someone who is IMMENSELY proud of my country, I should be allowed to show that. I think that all this anti-war bullshit is just that, bullshit, that future generations will remember Bush and Blair positively, not negatively, for going to war, so nothing has happened to make me feel less patriotic.

I'm glad you brought up America Jet. The truth is they're an example of extreme patriotism but noone minds. We're FAR from that, in fact even you Aussies are more patriotic than we are.

Katielondon
02-06-2006, 03:44 PM
yes over here patriotism is kind of shunned because those in charge dont want to offend anyone of other nationality/culture/religion, although i cant say i really care either way about showing support for the world cup i dont follow football at all and dont really care wether we win or lose.

hasselbrad
02-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I just saw some English folks tooling about with their flags out in support of your World Cup effort. Cheers!