PDA

View Full Version : Reviews and criticism

KnightleyNews
01-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Well, here's the first review I've seen for DMC. It starts off well, but then...
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060601_reader_review_pirates_of_the_c.html

Spoiler level: 3/10 - No real plot details revealed.

Paul

Hazzle
01-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Not the best written review ever, is it?

Hardly inspires me to care about his opinion.

hasselbrad
01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Not the best written review ever, is it?

Hardly inspires me to care about his opinion.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to take someone seriously when they make this mistake in print.

Let me just say this, it seems to me that Hollywood did not learn there mistake with The Matrix films and unfortunately, it taints this film and the original with what happens towards the end.

It seems that someone relies on "there" spellcheck for editing. :p

Hazzle
01-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it's kind of hard to take someone seriously when they make this mistake in print.

It seems that someone relies on "there" spellcheck for editing. :p

Yup. So very unprofessional.

Seriously though, whenever I see a movie, I always critique it, do a step-by-step write up, only verbally, and I do a damn sight better than that. I've always fancied myself as a critic, after all, I'm hated enough so I'd fit right in :p. All critics are hated, what makes the good ones well-read is that they write their reviews so beautifully. Good English is essential, this guy's going to win no fans.

hasselbrad
01-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that if the ending is disappointing, it's only because it's leading into the third film.

Hazzle
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that if the ending is disappointing, it's only because it's leading into the third film.

Shocking that they should consider leaving a cliffhanger when they've already signed everyone up for the third one already...no?

Idle
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Is there any reason to think that this is genuine?
It is very poorly written and contains absolutely no detailed information about anything. I could have written a far more convincing review than that based on nothing more than the trailer and publicity photos.

Terry Rossio, one of the writers, wrote this (http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc07/index.cgi?read=83901) a month ago:

...you might be astonished to see just how unfinished the film is right now.
I doubt there will be time for a single test audience screening.

... so they managed to overcome all that with a month to spare? Sounds unlikely.

The movie may or may not be good, but I wouldn't trust this "review" at all.

Hazzle
01-06-2006, 02:12 PM
The movie may or may not be good, but I wouldn't trust this "review" at all.

Yes, because we've just been talking about how much faith we put in this review and how much we trust this reviewer's opinion, haven't we?

Idle
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes, because we've just been talking about how much faith we put in this review and how much we trust this reviewer's opinion, haven't we?
So? I'm not allowed to add my take on the original post?

Hazzle
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
So? I'm not allowed to add my take on the original post?

I didn't say that, did I? Calm down.

Idle
01-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I didn't say that, did I?
Not in so many words, no. I felt it was implied, but if that's not what you meant then no problem. :)

Getting back on topic, the people at johnnydepp-zone.com claim to have contacted Disney about this review (http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=26749). The response from Disney was there has been no screening and that the review is fake.