PDA

View Full Version : Ideas For Movies

Richard
27-05-2006, 07:58 PM
If you were to make a movie, any kind of movie, what would it be about?

In a nutshell...

Set in the late 1940s, a struggling director finds a script written over two decades ago that was never made; on account of its (minor and fresh) male star's untimely death a few days before shooting was to begin. The production was shut down and never to see the light of day until present time. While the screenplay has resurfaced, casting begins on what everyone around the studio lot considered a fearful production. Meanwhile, a young actor is cast as the male lead, but this time around a female lead has been reworked and added into the screenplay and filming finally commences. During the beginning of the production, and many times thereafter, a young man wanders onto the set and befriends the actress; monitoring her and offering insight to her part. The two have an attraction towards each other, but the man resists, and we learn why as the film goes on. Anyway, the film is a huge hit (I don't know what the movie in the movie is going to be about yet) and both the audiences and critics applause. As the film draws to an end, we learn that the mysterious fellow is the ghost of the male star that died over 20 years ago.

I got the idea while lying in bed the other day. Stupid or not, I thought I'd share it. What do you guys think? Would you see it?

Jacoby
27-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I have an idea for a story/movie, and I think it's really interesting, so I won't write it out here. Brad would steal it, and cash in on the screenplay.

Richard
27-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't think I have to worry at all about people stealing my ideas. Incidentally, how does one go about learning/writing a screenplay?

Jacoby
27-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I don't know how one goes about learning a screenplay, but writing one starts at your computer desk. I'm sure there are websites.

Richard
27-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I completely forgot about websites. I was thinking to enroll in classes and hear lectures upon lectures about how to write a screenplay. I know there is a certain format to it also. I better start browsing.

I started every sentence with an "I". lol

dave
28-05-2006, 12:41 AM
I completely forgot about websites. I was thinking to enroll in classes and hear lectures upon lectures about how to write a screenplay.<snip>
The Write Brothers software for writing (http://www.write-bros.com/)

hasselbrad
30-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I have an idea for a story/movie, and I think it's really interesting, so I won't write it out here. Brad would steal it, and cash in on the screenplay.
:icon_err: Meanie!

Anyway, there are a bunch of screenwriting programs. I use Final Draft, which I bought off of eBay for $75.00. Only after I got it, did I realize I had bought a bootleg (shh...don't tell anyone) copy. It was an older version, so I assumed that I was getting a closeout. Apparently, this chick needed a quick $75.00.
I saw something in CompUSA the other day for around $30.00 and the one Dave suggested is pretty good too.
As far as your idea, Richard, it sounds pretty good. I suggest getting a program simply because it helps with the format and can really get you started writing.
I'm starting a screenwriting class on the sixth of June.

Richard
30-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks Brad. I hope to get started on it soon. But the challenge, I suppose, is to remain devoted to it.

hasselbrad
30-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks Brad. I hope to get started on it soon. But the challenge, I suppose, is to remain devoted to it.
It's funny, but having the software kind of makes it easier to stay on it. I've nearly finished two and I'm polishing up the first to start shopping it around.
Your idea sounds intriguing.

Richard
30-05-2006, 06:13 PM
It's a little take off Field Of Dreams. You know, "If you make it, he will come". :p

I probably should'nt have said that...

hasselbrad
30-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I see what you are saying about the Field of Dreams similarity, but it's different enough from that to not be a problem.
Does she fall in love with him?

Richard
30-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Maybe. I know there are many romantics out there, so obviously the film would be more effective or rather; moving, if she did. I really haven't gotten the details sorted out yet, as I usually think about those things whenever I find myself in moments of silence.

Jacoby
30-05-2006, 10:22 PM
It's more effective when the audience is saying "I wish they stayed/got together," I think. It's usually more realistic, also. The ending of Family Stone? Laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Brad, don't take a class. Just go watch the movie Adaptation. It'll teach you everything you need to know. Plus if you write movies like Charlie Kaufman, you'll be my hero.

Hazzle
30-05-2006, 10:33 PM
What Jake said. Damnit why can't I argue with him on this one?

hasselbrad
30-05-2006, 10:51 PM
It's more effective when the audience is saying "I wish they stayed/got together," I think. It's usually more realistic, also. The ending of Family Stone? Laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Brad, don't take a class. Just go watch the movie Adaptation. It'll teach you everything you need to know. Plus if you write movies like Charlie Kaufman, you'll be my hero.

Shit. I wish you had told me this before the credit card went through.