PDA

View Full Version : Internet Advertising

Hazzle
21-05-2006, 10:57 PM
I was just reading an article on someone's blog about internet advertising, how ubiquitous it's become and how we all have our own views on it, some of us ignore it, others get infuriated, others still decide to spend money on finding ways to block it out. And let's not forget webmasters, people who run websites like Baz and need advertising revenue to help soften the blow of the costs. Do we have any sympathy for their plight?

I just thought it may be an interesting subject for us guys to knock about. Anyone got a view on internet advertising?

If you're a webmaster (and I'm very curious to hear our own webmaster's view), do you feel the need to justify advertising, and if so, how do you justify it? Do you see a positive side (other than the revenue to you) of advertising?

If you're an internet user (and I'd say with relative confidence that that covers all of us) what do you think, are ads an intrusion into your internet experience? Do they sometimes provide a benefit to you?

Swordsman
21-05-2006, 11:17 PM
They piss me off. Two days i ago i was trying to order some things off a website and it took me like half an hour because i kept getting all these adds to meet "sexy new singles in my neighborhood".

kingdumbass
21-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I wonder how much it costs to run this site....
Does Baz ever turn a profit? You know, I think that Keira's management people should throw a few bucks in the direction of the various individuals who run her fan sites from time to time. Hell, even I have thought about donating.

Mandy
22-05-2006, 12:15 AM
No, I don't believe Baz gets anything out of running the site other than the pleasure of watching you cretins anal-rape his bandwidth.

Hazzle
22-05-2006, 08:01 AM
No, I don't believe Baz gets anything out of running the site other than the pleasure of watching you cretins ana-rape his bandwidth.

Yeah. But he does get a lot of pleasure out of that so let's not kid ourselves...

kingdumbass
22-05-2006, 09:32 AM
And he claimed at one point that he actually met Ms. Knightley, so I guess that's something else he's gotten out of it....
Hey, I'd run a website if it meant I could meet a cool famous person. The closest I ever got was a few e-mails from a guy claiming to be Kristanna Loken's father.

deviljet88
22-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I adblock practically all ads on sites I visit often, besides Google Text ads, so I don't really mind if sites use them.

barrington
22-05-2006, 11:05 AM
It's a necessary evil for me. I don't think there's much benefit for the average user (only about one in every hundred users clicks on KKW ads) and they're quite intrusive to page design. That said, if it wasn't for Google and the odd donation then this site wouldn't exist at all, so to that end they're going to stay!

We're so used to ads now that they're just part of the internet landscape, although I do hate with a fucking passion those Flash ads that appear right on top of the page and popups that you can't get out of.

Foeni
22-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Ads like the ones on this site, is allright. After all, bills have to be payed. If all donated, it would be another picture, that's the reason I donated back when digi posted that thread about it.

What I really hate is pop-ups. I use Google pop-up blocker, and it works fine.

hasselbrad
22-05-2006, 12:43 PM
What is this "internet" you speak of? I've never heard of such a thing.

Hazzle
22-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Personally I'm with Baz, Fo and Pieter on this one. Google ads on a site like this are fine, they keep it free for us to use so I don't mind. Plus they're not really THAT intrusive and although they can mess with design, I think in this case Baz's managed to make them seem a lot less intrusive.

And yes, those annoying flash ads are a step too far. And pop-ups. But I accept some form of advertising revenue is necessary.

Jacoby
22-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Flash ads and pop ups really get their job done, though. If you go to IGN.com, they have a lot of those flash ads that pop up about one minute into reading an article, and I have a habit of clicking and highlighting text when I read small articles, so I always end up accidentely hitting an ad.

It's as simple as x-ing out of the new page, but I still feel used.

Hazzle
22-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Flash ads and pop ups really get their job done, though.

Aye. Effective but annoying. IGN.com is actually one of the many websites I read that has them and was what I was thinking of when I said that!

Great minds eh? Although you may not like the idea you and I shared a thought...tis worrying...