PDA

View Full Version : Fifa World Cup 2006

Hazzle
21-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I can't believe that as yet noone's come up with a thread for the 2006 Fifa World Cup. Given the truly international flavour of the tournament this year it should be of interest to many of KKWs members!

My surprise package for the tournament is the Ivory Coast. They're young, hungry, quick and strong, much like Senegal last time round. I think they're also more technically gifted than Senegal, and certainly Togo, and of the African sides I expect them to make a BIG impact. However they lack the experience to win it in my view.

Favourites are of course Brazil. That's somewhat stating the obvious. Any team boasting Ronaldinho, Robinho, Ronaldo, Kaka and Adriano will score a lot of goals. Their midfield has the likes of Emerson and Baptista and even their defence looks capable. A tough act to beat.

England, however, Rooney-less though they may find themselves (I still reckon Sven'll take him, even if he's not fit), have a great chance. The England midfield is easily the best in the tournament, Beckham's found his form with Real at the right time, Gerrard and Lampard have been consistently amongst the best central midfielders in World Football for a couple of years now and Joe Cole was an integral part of Chelsea's retained Premiership title. He's really come a long way.

Whilst England may miss Rooney, and maybe Owen, in terms of goals, one feels Lampard and Gerrard may well be enough to compensate. Add to the mix Aaron Lennon, an exciting young winger with bags of pace, the unknown quantity Theo Walcott, a solid defence (with three world class central defenders, the second best keeper in the world and the best left back in the world) and you've got a team with a great chance to pull a shock.

Argentina will be there or thereabouts. Lionel Messi has been a revelation at Barcelona, Carlos Tevez is a world class poacher and Riquelme a world class playmaker. They have a great chance too, although should England meet them, their recent results should give England fans every confidence.

Spain and Holland both look capable of shrugging off their tags as "nearly men", with Fabregas, Reyes and Torres coming through for the former, and Van Persie, Robben and Sneijder for the Dutch. The hosts look weak to me and I doubt they'll go far. Australia are also going to be an interesting side as I thought they've deserved a place in the World Cup for a long time now. They have a lot of quality players, many of whom have either played or are playing in England, and I'm actually hoping they get through. I'd love for England to meet them in the knockout stages.

All in all it looks set for a fascinating tournament.

Edit: Looks like Rooney may make it after all.

deviljet88
22-05-2006, 10:38 AM
http://www.kkwavefront.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2387

It died a month ago out of lack of interest. Try waiting a few weeks to a month?

Hazzle
22-05-2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.kkwavefront.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2387

It died a month ago out of lack of interest. Try waiting a few weeks to a month?

Thanks for that. I did do a search but I didn't find it. Must've been screwed up by the lack of a gap between World Cup and 2006.

SeattleGirl
23-05-2006, 06:01 AM
for World Cup,i would give all the things up !

Ranman
23-05-2006, 08:53 AM
The world cup is gay

nebregas3149
23-05-2006, 07:48 PM
if u think the world cup is gay then u must be gay. soccer is the best sport, and always will be, with the world cup obviously being one of the best tournaments as well. as u might tell from my name, im a huge fabregas fan lol, but not a very big spain fan. more so im just obsessed with arsenal. id like to see the usa win it, for obvious reasons, but england is my favorite side, and i really hope they pull through. other than them, i love holland, who have a great shot, but i think the one team that everyone is ruling out as pushovers because of recent results who, i believe, are going to be the big dark horse is france. thierry henry is lethal, no question about it, hes the best striker in the world. and i think this will be his best international tournament, so watch out for him. other than that id have to give credit to my boys the ivory coast as well. arsenals backline is so strong thanks to the revelation of eboue and the continued greatness of toure, and add drogba to that mix and u have a fiery team. im so excited for the cup, cant wait :) !! btw, great post ;)

Ranman
23-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Bite me nebregas3149, Soccer is gay and the world cup is gayer

Jacoby
23-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Ahahaha.

Oh man. Soccer. The world cup is the only time I can actually watch a game. I think the best team will win this year. Or maybe Brazil, again, who knows?

Sarah
23-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Well the last time I posted about a sporting event (Euro '04) I ended up spending all my time bitching about Portugal and that bloody ref! :mad:

Lets hope the World Cup is a more pleasant experience, but we know it won't be...

Mandy
23-05-2006, 10:15 PM
(I apologize for my fellow Americans using the term "soccer.")

Sarah
23-05-2006, 10:18 PM

Yeah you'd better be ;)

I hear that word and want to kill 'em all ;)

Ranman
23-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Don't apologize for the rest of us, you hate soccer too

Although that announcer who spoke spanish except for when he said
GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL GOAL

He was rather entertaining

Hazzle
23-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Americans only diss football (not soccer you big gayers) because they're so shit at it. Note how the only sports you think are any good are ones you're good at. That's such a shitty attitude.

We're crap at every sport...if we took that attitude we'd hate them all!

Although we did beat the Aussies in the cricket AND the rugby...(expects hellfire and brimstone from the Aussies).

DragonRat
24-05-2006, 04:01 AM
I expect interesting things this year's World Cup. Though Brazil looks the favorite to repeat, if Rooney can make some miracle injury comeback, then they might look the more dangerous. As the host, one cannot overlook Germany. The Czechs will also look to repeat their lightning-quick offensive performances from Euro 2004. I still think Spain (even with Reyes, Alonso, and Cesc) and Holland will poop; it's in their natures.

I'll be rooting for the United States, obviously. I'll be keen on watching the defensive four of the Ivory Coast, and I hope Toure gets more goals than Drogba. I will put down my prediction for my nation's group stage, and say that the U.S. and the Czechs will pass through.

Jacoby
24-05-2006, 04:06 AM

If you're that commited to England, why not try driving down the left side of line on your way to work? See how that works out for ya.

But seriously, you're from America.

Mandy
24-05-2006, 04:16 AM
I'm just stating that Americans changed the term of football to soccer. Which is technically incorrect. Um so...yeah. Chill.

Edit: Why the hell are people just like...making attacks at people for no reason? Is it because Haz is around and you feel it's necessary?

Trust me: I'm soooo not commited to England.

Jacoby
24-05-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm just stating that Americans changed the term of football to soccer. Which is technically incorrect. Um so...yeah. Chill.

It is a weird, thing. But I'm just assuming that you were raised American. Which also makes me assume that you're going out of your way to point out the football thing. Which has been discussed, I dunno, fortythousand times on these boards.

Oh shiz. It's being discussed again. Well, hypocrisy makes the world go round. Money, mostly, makes the world go round, but minor things also.

But yeah! Soccootball. Everyone on the KKW must now on refer to the sport to Soccootball to comform to everyone else's culture.

Mandy
24-05-2006, 04:33 AM
*Shrugs* I didn't figure anyone would get pissy about it.

Jacoby
24-05-2006, 04:36 AM
If anything I am NOT pissy.

Especially after using the ultra absorbant Goodnites!
http://www.coldsmoke.net/images/Goodnites.gif

Mandy
24-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Well that was a waste of good posting space.

And I dont even like Football. Any shape or form.

Hazzle
24-05-2006, 07:23 AM
I think England'll be a threat without Rooney. I wouldn't overhype Walcott though. He's quick, and will be a future star, but let's not expect too much.

The difference with the Dutch for me is that they now have a coach who actually won something as an international player. Let's face it, not many Dutch players can say that! Van Basten could be a crucial difference. They'll probably still go out in the semis though. Torres for me is the difference for Spain. A frontman without ego. Unlike Raul. Again, they'll probably go out in the knockout stages though.

The Czechs! How did I miss them? Probably because they only scraped through courtesy of Rosicky's goal? He could be a star, but Nedved's star is waning (see his performance for Juventus against Arsenal in the second leg) and Baros has looked out of sorts. Expect them not to repeat the Euro 2004 success.

I too hope Kolo scores more than Dogbag, the ugly troll-faced cunt.

deviljet88
24-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Edit: Why the hell are people just like...making attacks at people for no reason? Is it because Haz is around and you feel it's necessary?

Oh! And here I was thinking it was just immature attempts at humour...

On topic: I just want to see how badly Australia gets pummelled by Brazil. About England, isn't there always a general fanfare around them, and then you just see them being owned after the group stage?

Hazzle
24-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Meh. We went out to Brazil last time, Argentina the time before.

No real shame in going out to them. At least we'll get OUT of our group...

Hazzle
25-05-2006, 09:04 PM
This deserved a post of its own:

LIST OF RULES

1. From 9th June to 9th July 2006, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions. If you even take a glimpse of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I don’t mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me. If you decide to stand nude in front of the TV, make sure you put clothes on right after because if you catch a cold, I wont have time to take you to the doctor or look after you during the World Cup month.

4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat. You are out of your mind if you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby that just fell from the second floor... it wont happen.

5. It would be a good idea for you to keep at least 2 six packs in the fridge at all times, as well as plenty of things to nibble on, and please do not make any funny faces to my friends when they come over to watch the games. In return, you will be allowed to use the TV between 12am and 6am, unless they replay a good game that I missed during the day.

6. Please, please, please!! if you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say “get over it, its only a game”, or “don’t worry, they’ll win next time”. If you say these things, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less.Remember, you will never ever know more about football than me and your so called “words of encouragement” will only
lead to a break up or divorce.

7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying “one” game, hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to “spend time together”. The replays of the goals are very important. I don’t care if I have seen them or I haven’t seen them, I want to see them again. Many times.

8. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies, or any other child related parties or gatherings that requires my attendance
because:

a)I will not go,
b)I will not go, and
c)I will not go.

But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house on a Sunday to watch a game, we will be there in a flash.

9. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying “but you have already seen this...why don’t you change the channel to something we can all watch??”, the reply will be: “Refer to Rule #2 of this list”.

And finally, please save your expressions such as “Thank God the World Cup is only every 4 years”. I am immune to these words, because after this comes the Champions League, Premier League, Italian League, Spanish League, etc etc.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Regards,
Men of the World

michael22
26-05-2006, 01:28 AM
lol...it is true

Hazzle
26-05-2006, 08:16 AM
lol...it is true

If you're gonna spam at least TRY and be funny you useless fuckwit. Jeez. Can we ban this cunt already?

Juliamariskamadadh
27-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm a soccer fan myself..

Pygmalion
27-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Americans only diss football (not soccer you big gayers) because they're so shit at it. Note how the only sports you think are any good are ones you're good at. That's such a shitty attitude.

We're crap at every sport...if we took that attitude we'd hate them all!

Although we did beat the Aussies in the cricket AND the rugby...(expects hellfire and brimstone from the Aussies).

I'm disappointed by Jet's unpatriotic-ness by leaving Haz's dissing unnoticed.
I reckon the Australian plan next rugby world cup sould be "Break that faggot Johnny Wilkinson's legs at all costs".
I have no excuses for the cricket, but crickets hella boring anyway.

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 02:40 AM
We'll kick your arses in both sports again. The time has come for the penal colony to recognise its rightful place under the heel of our jackboot.

deviljet88
28-05-2006, 02:58 AM
We'll kick your arses in both sports again. The time has come for the penal colony to recognise its rightful place under the heel of our jackboot.
Pity we beat you in the sporting event that you Poms set up: The Commonwealth Games.

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 03:24 AM
Pity we beat you in the sporting event that you Poms set up: The Commonwealth Games.

So what? We invented cricket and rugby but it didn't stop you beating us for many years.

Athletics are gay. They're not even real sports. They're "disciplines". I've never gotten how running is a sport. It's PART of a sport for fuck's sake. Running for running's sake is just a discipline.

deviljet88
28-05-2006, 03:44 AM
So what? We invented cricket and rugby but it didn't stop you beating us for many years.

That's why it's funny I guess. Talking about colonies and rugby, NZ beat you guys up in the final of the Games. Fun.

Athletics are gay. They're not even real sports. They're "disciplines". I've never gotten how running is a sport. It's PART of a sport for fuck's sake. Running for running's sake is just a discipline.

Oh, and Australians aren't good runners. I think there was only 3-5 gold or so from that. So you lost convincingly enough even without athletics, specifically running, being taken into account ^^

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Oh, and Australians aren't good runners. I think there was only 3-5 gold or so from that. So you lost convincingly enough even without athletics, specifically running, being taken into account ^^

What, Basketball? Not a real sport. It's a game for poofs. Swimming? Not a sport either, it's a discipline. Cycling? The same.

And you're wrong, btw. Most of your medals came from athletics, swimming and cycling. Oh, and triathlon. And yes, none of those are sports, they're disciplines. The term "team sports" is an oxymoron. Any TRUE sport involves a team.

The only sport to take seriously is the Rugby, and even that's only 7s. And still...we got silver...where were you?

Oh, and the Boxing.

deviljet88
28-05-2006, 03:53 AM
What, Basketball? Not a real sport. It's a game for poofs. Swimming? Not a sport either, it's a discipline. Cycling? The same.

The only sport to take seriously is the Rugby, and even that's only 7s. And still...we got silver...where were you?

Oh, and the Boxing.
I'm from Victoria. Note: Victorians generally don't give a crap about rugby.

How the hell is basketball not a real sport?

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 03:54 AM
I'm from Victoria. Note: Victorians generally don't give a crap about rugby.

How the hell is basketball not a real sport?

Because it doesn't allow contact. For fuck's sake it's a game for girls. You'll bring up cricket but you take a bouncer to the ribcage and tell me it's a non-contact sport.

No real man will count basketball as a sport. It's for poofs too proud to play netball.

deviljet88
28-05-2006, 03:56 AM
So you diss it because it doesn't allow contact...

Oh and football. Contact? Yeah right.

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 04:06 AM
So you diss it because it doesn't allow contact, then for the sport with the highest contact, boxing, you label it not a sport too?

Erm. I mentioned the boxing. As a real sport. But hey, apologies, the idea came as an afterthought as I forgot to mention it in the earlier post. Especially as we did pretty damn well at it :)

Oh and football. Contact? Yeah right.

The way you guys play? Maybe not. But I've played and taken painful tackles. And seen people break bones from a crunching tackle.

You tell Abou Diaby that his broken AND dislocated ankle isn't the result of a contact sport. You clearly don't watch much professional football.

Take a look at his ankle below and tell me it's non-contact. Or I can even find you a video clip and you can hear the poor guy scream in agony. Yes, dislocated AND broken. Painful.

deviljet88
28-05-2006, 04:10 AM
You ought to read what I edit (which I managed to do before you posted yours ^^)

Oh big whoop you've been unfortate enough to break a bone from football. You can get crunched and break a rib between 5 guys if you're attempting to get an offensive rebound, or get a ball misthrown into your nuts. So what? You can't just claim an activity isn't a sport just because it's 'non-contact' anyway pft.

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Oh big whoop you've been unfortate enough to break a bone from football. You can get crunched and break a rib between 5 guys if you're attempting to get an offensive rebound, or get a ball misthrown into your nuts. So what? You can't just claim an activity isn't a sport just because it's 'non-contact' anyway pft.

Ahh, changing the theme of your argument now young one. Either footballs a contact sport or it's not :p. The fact is, some tackles break bones and don't get punished. Football's a contact sport, you're allowed to shoulder barge.

And yes, I can claim an activity isn't a sport because it's non-contact. Only girls play non-contact sports. And gayers like you. Now stop being gay and run along.

frodo1511
28-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Uh...I bought a Manchester United shirt today...I'll go for England, I guess

deviljet88
28-05-2006, 04:19 AM
This thread's not even supposed to be about football being contact or non-contact, but someone managed to swing it into a Pom vs Aus thing and then it degenerated further, hmm.

Oh and fine, claim it your way. Your claim of course has no relevance to the millions of fans of the sports you diss, so yayz0r, +5 post count for both of us ^^

Edit: Oh that's so solid bringing homophobia into it too :P

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 04:21 AM
This thread's not even supposed to be about football being contact or non-contact, but someone managed to swing it into a Pom vs Aus thing and then it degenerated further, hmm.

Oh and fine, claim it your way. Your claim of course has no relevance to the millions of fans of the sports you diss, so yayz0r, +5 post count for both of us ^^

Football=most popular sport on the planet. FACT. No, seriously...statistics have proven that it's the most widely followed sport in the world, hence the fact that the World Cup's viewing figures actually eclipse even the Olympics. Which says a LOT.

And don't tell Baz about the post count or he'll engineer our counts lower...shhhh :p

Jacoby
28-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Haha, in America, that statistic always comes up. For example:

Sports & Entertainment Teacher: "Do you know what the most popular sport in the world is?"
Class: "Nooooo..."
S&ET: "Well, kids, it's...football."
Steve Holt: "Damn straight!"
S&ET: "Hold your knickers, Bobby McQuarterback. Football. E-U-R-O-P-E-A-N football. . . Soccer."
Class: "*depressed sigh*"

I've experienced it plenty of times.

Pygmalion
28-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Its not that popular here either. People jump on the bandwagon world cup time, (a bit like the uncharacteristic patiotism during the olympics) but we only just got ourselves a national football league.
In Australia sports involving men running at each other-without all that pansy padding Americans wear-will always be more popular than SOCCER. Yes, SOCCER.

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Edit: Oh that's so solid bringing homophobia into it too :P

I'm not being homophobic you big gay.

Its not that popular here either. People jump on the bandwagon world cup time, (a bit like the uncharacteristic patiotism during the olympics) but we only just got ourselves a national football league.
In Australia sports involving men running at each other-without all that pansy padding Americans wear-will always be more popular than SOCCER. Yes, SOCCER.

And yet viewing figures for Premiership football in Australia outstrip those of club Rugby :). Just because people you talk to don't like football, doesn't mean it's not popular. There are a HELL of a lot of Australian Arsenal fans. One of them even came over to Paris for the European Champions League final, chucking a sicky at work. Do you think any rugby fan would make a trip over to Europe to watch the Rugby? Nope.

Oh, and the age-old myth that American football is less manly because of the padding is bullshit. In Rugby men don't run at each other, they can only tackle below the waist. In American football they actually charge at each other. Just a couple of years ago, even with all the padding, one guy ended up with massive internal injuries, horrific, like a car crash. That's why they have padding.

In Rugby the rules protect you from taking a massive man's mass into your ribs. That's not to say Rugby's not manly, as it is, I know a guy who busted his hip playing. But American football isn't less manly because of the padding...if they didn't have it people would die. In fact, they used to before it was introduced.

It's no different to cricket having a lot more padding than it used to to prevent people dying. Oh, and the way you described Rugby actually makes it sound very gay. Rethink that one.

Pygmalion
28-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh, and the way you described Rugby actually makes it sound very gay. Rethink that one.

Rugby IS gay.

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Rugby IS gay.

No it's not. Basketball's gay. Swimming is gay. Netball is gay.

Mandy
28-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Two men having sex is gay.

Hazzle
28-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Two men having sex is gay.

Someone's been watching Ran and Fo's home videos again...

Mandy
28-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Someone's been watching Ran and Fo's home videos again...

Yeah, but only because you were done with them.

Hazzle
29-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but only because you were done with them.

Well someone's got to do the editing. Ran wanted me to cut it so that it didn't show his teeny weeny too closely.

Mandy
29-05-2006, 12:05 AM
I hope you didn't cut out the reach around part.

Hazzle
29-05-2006, 12:14 AM
I hope you didn't cut out the reach around part.

You're sick. And what does this have to do with football anyway?

Mandy
29-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Right. If you were PAYING ATTENTION, you would've known this thread is not about football, rather about homosexual relations.

Hazzle
29-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Right. If you were PAYING ATTENTION, you would've known this thread is not about football, rather about homosexual relations.

Fair point well made. So when are you getting it on with Once_Dreaded for our viewing pleasure?

Pygmalion
29-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Pervert.

Hazzle
29-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Pervert.

Your point is?

duckula
29-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Start a new thread when the football starts.

Locked.