PDA

View Full Version : Spy Sheriff?

kingdumbass
30-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Anyone ever had to deal with Spy Sheriff?
It's a malicious adware/virus application that will download and install itself on to your machine without permission. It claims to be an anti-spyware app, but in reality it wreaks havok on your PC, in many cases rendering it totally unusable. And it's a BITCH to get rid of -- most people just give up and reformat.

Anyway, I was infected with Spy Sheriff today while viewing the site keirapictures.com . Now, I doubt that the person who runs the site intentionally put the bug on there, and I'm not even sure if the site I happened to be viewing at the time of the infection was necessarily what caused my troubles, BUT...I thought I should mention this...you know -- just sort of as a heads up.

I THINK I was able to get rid of it...but I guess only time will tell. I had to spend a few hours messing with my registry, and deleting dozens of .exe files that were put on to my machine. The only problem I can't seem to fix is the fact that all of the icons on my desktop remain hilighted in blue for some reason.

That is all.

Mandy
30-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I've had a problem with it before, managed to save my pc, though. It's a bitch.

Swordsman
30-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I had something similar to that. I thought i got rid of most of the crap it put on my computer then i ran this new program that gets rid of Spyware. It's called AVG, i just have the free edition but it made my computer a lot faster.

Richard
30-04-2006, 05:11 PM
It happened to me twice within the last two months and both times I had to restore my computer. Now I'm always nervous everytime I visit new sites.