PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Tips

Leonie
17-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm normally a really deep sleeper - once I'm off, you could set off a bomb next to the bed and I wouldn't notice. However, this past week or so, I've been sleeping really badly, waking up a thousand times during the night. This weekend, I went home, and no such problem occurred, so I thought it might be the noise at uni.

Introducing the main character of this post: earplugs. Yes. I've never used them before, but I think I'll give it a go. The only problem is that I'm concerned I won't hear the alarm clock either... Does anyone have any experience with them, and alarm clocks and earplugs combined? I should probably also mention that I have industrial strength earplugs (I'm not in on the earplug terminology and classification, so I don't know if there are any other kind than really good ones, but my dad uses this kind when he's training for shooting with work.) Anyway - what I need to know is, if I go to bed with earplugs in, will the alarm clock wake me up?

I thought this might also be a random thread to talk/bitch/moan about sleep and lack thereof.

Scaramouche
17-04-2006, 10:24 PM
You could try an alarm clock for the deaf. It's a little pad you slip into your pillow case that vibrates in the morning.

I have over sensitivity to light and sound, and I wear ear plugs at night. They help very much.

You made me very confused with the uni. because in Utah, that stands for
"University Neuropsychiatric Institute (http://uuhsc.utah.edu/uni/)" which is where people with major mental problems go. lol.

Leonie
17-04-2006, 10:25 PM
You made me very confused with the uni. because in Utah, that stands for
"University Neuropsychiatric Institute" which is where people with major mental problems go. lol.

Haha, fuck no. Uni(versity). I live in a street full of students, my room is on the ground floor. The upside is I know alll the gossip, the downside is my sleep sometimes suffers :)

Scaramouche
17-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Haha, fuck no. Uni(versity). I live in a street full of students, my room is on the ground floor. The upside is I know alll the gossip, the downside is my sleep sometimes suffers :)

Yeah, I know it's university, but it's not the first thing that comes to mind. haha.

EmotionSickness
17-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Leonie: I have been using earplugs for about two years now (not the same ones, mind you.. haha), and I had a lot of trouble hearing my alarm clock in the morning... that was until I got a new alarm clock (ran me about $12) which had a "normal" and a "loud" setting. I don't know how available something like that might be over there, but I think it's worth looking into.

Now I have no problem hearing my alarm in the mornings. It's loud, but not so loud that it would wake everyone else in the houseup. Ohh, I'd also tell you to be careful with earplugs. I've gotten to where I can hardly fall asleep without them! But maybe that's just neurotic, ol' me. :p

Jacoby
17-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Leonie, I say wait until a weekend morning, or some day where it's not a problem if you sleep in, then test out the combination of ear plugs and alarm clocks. This way if you CAN'T hear the alarm, it won't be a big deal. Except for your roomate flipping out on you.

Kelsey
18-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't know anything about using earplugs, but I imagine you aren't the first person to wonder if you'll hear the alarm clock with the ear plugs. Does your alarm clock have a volume that you can turn up? Or maybe you could replug it in closer to your bedside, depending on wherever it is now.

Also, this has nothing to do with earplugs, but I'm really excited about the fact that I have found that when it is entirely dark...I mean like....can't see your hand two inches from your face dark, you'll wake up more refreshed.

Jacoby
18-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Also, this has nothing to do with earplugs, but I'm really excited about the fact that I have found that when it is entirely dark...I mean like....can't see your hand two inches from your face dark, you'll wake up more refreshed.

I just started doing this recentely. I found it's really good for brain activity before you go to bed. Usually I'll have the TV running or music playing so I mindlessly go to sleep. But with everything off and everything completely dark, I think about a lot of my life and a lot of ideas. I had like 30 ideas for comics/stories and everything last night because of the dark.

Digital_Ice
18-04-2006, 01:01 AM
I dont sleep...

hasselbrad
18-04-2006, 02:53 AM
I find that Melatonin works very well to induce a restful night's sleep. I think earplugs would drive me crazy.

kingdumbass
18-04-2006, 05:56 AM
I can't sleep unless I have a fan running....

Leonie
18-04-2006, 06:21 AM
I find that Melatonin works very well to induce a restful night's sleep. I think earplugs would drive me crazy.

That stuff's not even legally available here. We talked about sleep in my psychology class once, and he suggested we pick some up if we have trouble sleeping and we come across somewhere it's over the counter :D It's not that bad (yet) though. I would assume that if I keep sleeping terribly, I will get so tired I won't have any trouble sleeping at all at some stage.

My alarm has a radio and a annoying beep beep beep setting. I can turn up the radio at least. Then there's my radio stereo right next to the other side of the bed, that also has a clock alarm function, and can be turned on preeeetty loud. I think I'll try the earplugs tonight - it's bar night, and I don't have to wake up on time on no-class Wednesday.

deviljet88
18-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Earplugs are bad, I used to use them but eventually through twisting and turning in bed during the night, they'd break over... a few months? I've got my mp3 player plugged into comp speakers instead now for music during the night.

hasselbrad
18-04-2006, 12:32 PM
That stuff's not even legally available here. We talked about sleep in my psychology class once, and he suggested we pick some up if we have trouble sleeping and we come across somewhere it's over the counter :D It's not that bad (yet) though. I would assume that if I keep sleeping terribly, I will get so tired I won't have any trouble sleeping at all at some stage.

My alarm has a radio and a annoying beep beep beep setting. I can turn up the radio at least. Then there's my radio stereo right next to the other side of the bed, that also has a clock alarm function, and can be turned on preeeetty loud. I think I'll try the earplugs tonight - it's bar night, and I don't have to wake up on time on no-class Wednesday.

Wait a minute...I can walk into any pharmacy in America and buy a bottle of 100 Melatonin and you can't?
But you can walk into establishments all over Amsterdam and buy pot and/or sexual services?
This does not compute. :icon_err:

I'm not saying you would...just that you could. :p

Leonie
18-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Wait a minute...I can walk into any pharmacy in America and buy a bottle of 100 Melatonin and you can't?
But you can walk into establishments all over Amsterdam and buy pot and/or sexual services?
This does not compute. :icon_err:

I'm not saying you would...just that you could. :p
One might argue we got the better end of the deal: both 'actions' you mentioned as typically Dutch will result in sleep too, but one might argue it'll be a more entertaining ride :icon_razz

Not that I would of course.

Renegade
19-04-2006, 04:56 AM
I just started doing this recentely. I found it's really good for brain activity before you go to bed. Usually I'll have the TV running or music playing so I mindlessly go to sleep. But with everything off and everything completely dark, I think about a lot of my life and a lot of ideas. I had like 30 ideas for comics/stories and everything last night because of the dark.

Same here. I absolutely cannot sleep without the TV on, well unless I'm dead tired from physical labor. But I usually put my TV on a sleep timer to help me doze off. And yeah, I find that sleeping to silence only leads to wasted time contemplating life and shit.

Tips? Well, I suggest not sleeping during the day. That way, you can sleep well at night. But for a uni student, that may be impossible. I usually take naps at 5pm, wake up at 7pm, then sleep at 2am, and then have to wake up grouchy at 6am to get ready for school.

Leonie
19-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Tried the earplugs last night, this must be the first Tuesday night ever that I jus... slept. (it's the student's bar night, my room is right next to the street and the kitchen, so I normally wake up a few times a night of drunken people returning etc.)

once_dreaded
20-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Don't worry about hearing the alarm clock w/earplugs in. I wear earplugs each night & I hear the alarm just fine. Make sure you have it on the buzzer cuz if you have it on radio you'll sleep through it thinking that someone is playing nice music in your dreams.

Scaramouche
20-04-2006, 07:02 AM
awww. that man is playing nice music in my dreams.

sorry, found that a bit funny. ^.^

ryan
20-04-2006, 11:53 AM
why the hell would melatonin be illegal?
did they outlaw synthetic vitamins, too?

EmotionSickness
20-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Does melatonin really work? What is it, exactly? I mean, is it the typical over-the-counter crap, like Unisom (because that didn't work for me at all)?

hasselbrad
20-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Does melatonin really work? What is it, exactly? I mean, is it the typical over-the-counter crap, like Unisom (because that didn't work for me at all)?
It works for me. It's, from what I understand, just the chemical in your brain that regulates sleep.
I have 3mg pills that put me down pretty nice.

EmotionSickness
20-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Ohh, hehe. I know what the real melatonin is (psych major here).. just wasn't sure what this particular drug consisted of (can't believe I've never heard of it), or if they were justing using "melatonin" as a name for the product. But thanks. I'll have to try it since my mom still won't let me ask my doc about real sleeping pills, haha.

hasselbrad
20-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Ohh, hehe. I know what the real melatonin is (psych major here).. just wasn't sure what this particular drug consisted of (can't believe I've never heard of it), or if they were justing using "melatonin" as a name for the product. But thanks. I'll have to try it since my mom still won't let me ask my doc about real sleeping pills, haha.
I shall look at the label tonight and see exactly what is in it. We get them through one of the drug houses we buy from.

ryan
20-04-2006, 05:40 PM

you're how old and she wont let you talk to the doctor about something?
wtf

Leonie
20-04-2006, 07:07 PM
In ES' mum's defence, I don't think you should resort to sleeping pills, i.e. sedatives, until all other, more natural, options have had no result. At least melatonin is naturally present in the body. What I've been told is that melatonin as a drug works just the way naturally released melatonin does. Taking extra helps when the body isn't making enough of the stuff for you to fall asleep easily, for example when you're trying to sleep when it's light, or after a jetlag. In both cases, the body doesn't know it's supposed to secrete melatonin, so sleeping is difficult.

Foeni
20-04-2006, 07:11 PM
In my experience lots of exercise and fresh air help you sleep tighter.. Personally I never take pills for anything more than I really have to. Not even against a headache.

hasselbrad
20-04-2006, 08:28 PM
In my experience lots of exercise and fresh air help you sleep tighter.. Personally I never take pills for anything more than I really have to. Not even against a headache.
But scotch and pills are good. ;)

Foeni
20-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Hreh, in some dozes you'll probably have fun.. Scotch alone is more likely for me to use, though.

acliff
20-04-2006, 11:40 PM
A huge steak, roast potatoes, a sumptuous dessert and a couple of glasses of wine send me to sleep like nothing else.

I think the technical acronym is APF (After Pie Fatigue)

or maybe PMS (Post Meal Sleep), but that one has already been taken by something involving stabbing and getting to see your own blood