PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Comic Books into Movies...

dave
07-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Sorry...but one type of remaking is not lazy, the other is? Contradictory perhaps? I was saying I think the studios are lazy, and yes, the same goes for comic book film versions. Except that's not remaking something, it's something somewhat original as it's an ADAPTATION of a still art form into a moving one...<snip>

I would say adapting the comic book takes a LOT more intelligence. <snip>

That said, I agree there are a lot of comic book films out at the moment, and most of them can't hold a candle to Baz Luhrman's R & J remake...but Spidey 2 is a fucking classic...one of the very best films made in the last 2 years...it's a real skill adapting comic books, and most are done poorly. HOWEVER...if you wish to discuss the trend of comic book films, start a new thread for that, and can we get this back on topic?
<snip>

Actually, Robert Rodriguez AND Frank Miller discuss this very thing on the commentaries for "Sin City." You will give me that "Sin City" is an adaptation of a comic book, won't you? On their commentary, they say that making a movie from a comic book is much easier than "adapting" a novel, or even a stage play. They go on to say that Comics are a "Visual Medium" and therefore you can use the comic book as a "Storyboard." (Movie technospeak for a visual layout used to "shoot the movie.") There may be some bias in what they say, because both agree that the comic book is the movie they wanted to shoot. Many of the people you are talking about wanted to "adapt" the comic book to make their own movie, perhaps to even "change" the movie. (I believe that was explained as the reason that the original author of "V for Vendetta" had his name removed from the credits of the movie. It was no longer saying what he wanted said.)

Although I've never seen Baz Luhrman's "Romeo & Juliet" I'd be willing to bet a couple of pounds that "Moulin Rouge" is better. In fact, I think "Moulin Rouge" will be shown in Theater Schools in the not too distant future, much like the most famous "R & J" remake, "West Side Story" might be today.

However, back to comic books. I think the conclusion must be that filming a comic book is easier, (because Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller said so, and they should know.) But, twisting the author's words and "adapting" a comic book is harder. People expect to see what was in the comic book. That's probably why "Elektra" did so poorly. And why they are shooting a second "Sin City," and so far, NOT shooting more "Daredevil" or "Elektra."

I think it might be OK to add comments about "Pirates of the Carribean" into this since it is an adaption of an amusement park ride. I wonder if that makes all the remakes of "House on Haunted Hill" count, as well.

Rob The BLack Douglas
08-04-2006, 10:06 PM
It should be easier to adapt comic books because the entire story has already been storyboarded.

Good comic book adations are

Road To Perdition
Sin City
Mystery Men
A History of Violence
Ghost World

Flawed but watchable adaptions

From Hell
V For Vendetta

The spiderman, superman, batman movies are not adaptions per se so I'm not including them.

Leonie
10-04-2006, 08:52 AM
What I don't understand is that people freak out as soon as things are changed. Doesn't make the movie 'flawed', just different from the original. Happens all the time with books, sometimes only to make a better movie. Some things just don't work on screen.

Swordsman
10-04-2006, 11:23 PM
making a Sin City movie and a Daredevil movie are two very different things. Sin City was a series of graphic novels written by Frank Miller, now Frank Miller also helped make the movie so any changes made he was probably okay with. Daredevil is a famous superhero who has had many stories written by many different people about him. so with a Daredevil movie it's harder to please the whole crowd of Daredevil fans... and Ben Affleck just sucks. it's the same with every superhero.

what i heard for V For Vendetta was that Alan Moore doesn't own the copyright for his DC comics so he wasn't getting any money for the movie so he just said something along the lines of "SCREW IT, JUST TAKE MY NAME OUT!". but that's just what i heard, i'm not sure if it's true. i thought the movie for History Of Violence was better than the book.

Rob The Black Douglas, i don't know if you've ever read Frank Miller's Ronin but if you have, what the hell happens at the very end when everything blows up. where are they?

Rob The BLack Douglas
11-04-2006, 02:08 AM
It's been years since I read Ronin. I'll have to dig it out and refresh myself.

As far as people getting upset about changes, well some change is needed to adapt to the screen but when you are doing a story such as V For Vendetta, 95% of the changes were not necessary. Why make a movie based on a property if your going to make drastic changes and do a new story? Just get a writer to write the movie you want instead of changing an existing story.

dave
11-04-2006, 04:38 AM
<snip> Why make a movie based on a property if your going to make drastic changes and do a new story? Just get a writer to write the movie you want instead of changing an existing story.

I'll bet it's a lot easier to get the permission of the writer to make a movie of his "baby" than it is to come to an author and say, "Hey, we want to hire a hack to write a movie using your characters; what do you say?"

Then, after you've agreed on money, you can ruin the character so even the writer can't sell another book with that character. There's been five or six authors write "James Bond" books, but nobody has been allowed to write one which isn't approved by Cubby Broccoli or his company.

One of the things which has bothered me for years is the terrible treatment that John D MacDonald got with his "Travis McGee" series. Now Travis is one of my favorite heros. The writing is crisp, technically magnificent, and you actually care about Travis, and Meyer, and Chookie, and all the characters. The Hollywood Establishment has tried two or three times to adapt one of the Travis McGee novels for a movie. All have been miserable attempts. Somehow, the director managed to totally ruin the book. So John D MacDonald finally just said "no". So, the other 20 or so Travis McGee Novels will be in reprint, forever; but the two movies are very hard to come by. They have faded into memory.

Kelsey
11-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm so sick of any kind of adaptions...it's supposed to be about creativity!

Having said that, at least it looks like the world of comic book adaptations is shifting a bit. Though I am not anticipating it *at all*, at least "A Scanner Darkly" brings in a new style than the adaptations we've seen previously.

hasselbrad
11-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm so sick of any kind of adaptions...it's supposed to be about creativity!

Having said that, at least it looks like the world of comic book adaptations is shifting a bit. Though I am not anticipating it *at all*, at least "A Scanner Darkly" brings in a new style than the adaptations we've seen previously.

That's Linklater isn't it?

Rob The BLack Douglas
11-04-2006, 09:51 PM
That's Linklater isn't it?

Right. Linklater doing Philip K. Dick, should be interesting.

Swordsman
11-04-2006, 11:09 PM
what are some other good books by Philip K. Dick?

have you heard that they're makin' a Watchmen movie? and Solid Snake wrote the script!

Mandy
11-04-2006, 11:21 PM
wtf Solid Snake....as is Metal Gear...err...?

I heard someone bought the rights to make a Metal Gear movie...that would kick soo much ass.

Swordsman
12-04-2006, 03:53 AM
i gots to drop some knowledge on you sucka! anyway, the guy that wrote the screenplay for The Watchmen does the voice for Solid Snake and i believe his name is David Hayter.

Metal Gear as in the very first for NES? because that would be balls rad. but if it's Metal Gear Solid then i think that would be a bit tougher to do because it's a tad longer.

Mandy
12-04-2006, 04:47 AM
Not sure which one. But I loooove the plot for Metal Gear Solid.

Jacoby
12-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Videogame plots aren't usually too great on the screen. You don't care as much when you're not playing the character. I'm scared of a Metal Gear Solid movie. Just go rent Escape from New York. Solid Snake was based after Kurt Russel's character. Plissken. That's why he used that as his code name in Sons of Liberty.

Philip K Dick also wrote "Do Anndroids Dream of Electric Sheep?" which is a freaking awesome book. You probably know the story better as "Blade Runner" because of the movie adaptation, but the book weilds a much more obscure title. It's cool, though, pick it up. Dick is a talented sci-fi author.
I got half way through A Scanner Darkly. It's pretty good, I'll have to finish it once school's over.

Mandy
12-04-2006, 08:29 PM
That's true, I can't stand watching Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat is watchable.

I think if they were to do it RIGHT, it could be an awesome flick.

Jacoby
12-04-2006, 08:45 PM
That's true, I can't stand watching Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat is watchable.

I think if they were to do it RIGHT, it could be an awesome flick.

So far the best shot for doing it right is Silent Hill, which comes out soon. Konami's actually working with the production, and I've got high hopes. But most likely it will not be what I'm hoping for.

Videogame adaptations are getting a really bad rep because of all the shit Uwe Boll is creating. He's terrible, and should never direct anything. And if you look at his upcoming movies, they're all videogames. It's gonna get so bad that no one will adapt a videogame because of Boll's crappy movies.

Swordsman
13-04-2006, 01:29 AM
i think the main problem with making a game into a movie is the fact that in a game you are running around and the story happens slowly. but in a movie it's all gotta be fast and there usually is not enough story to make the movie good. i only think that the game Resident Evil 4 would make a good movie because it's gonna enough story, i think.

Uwe Boll is one awful person. not only should he never direct again but he should never produce or write again. you'd think he'd get the picture when almost everyone tells him he sucks.

and uh...anyone else think that Batman:The Dark Knight Returns would be a bitchin' movie?

Jacoby
13-04-2006, 02:33 PM
i only think that the game Resident Evil 4 would make a good movie because it's gonna enough story, i think.

I was actually just talking to my friend about how I thought RE4 would be the cheesiest movie ever made, if it was on the big screen. It does have a lot of story, but it's so ridiculous. The characters were awesome, but the story was just crazy and the alien things were so...odd. It wouldn't transfer to the screen well, methinks. It IS one of the best videogames ever, though. I can't take that away from it.

"RAIN OR SHINE, YOU'RE GOING DOWN!" Remember when Leon said that to the small jester manthing? Yeah... I was a little embarassed.

Swordsman
14-04-2006, 09:36 PM
that little midget dude was so damned wierd. and i think i remember that line because my friends and i played that level at like 3am and that little midget just kept making us laugh so hard. wasn't everyone infected with ancient parasites, and not aliens? whatevs i don't remember. but if they did make it a movie it should be a bit goofy, along the lines of Army Of Darkness.

Jacoby
15-04-2006, 05:44 AM
that little midget dude was so damned wierd. and i think i remember that line because my friends and i played that level at like 3am and that little midget just kept making us laugh so hard. wasn't everyone infected with ancient parasites, and not aliens? whatevs i don't remember. but if they did make it a movie it should be a bit goofy, along the lines of Army Of Darkness.

Yeah, I was actually hoping RE4 itself would make fun of itself and the genre a little bit. For example, you know when you're going through the second half of the Village and everything's dark? And you step out of the church and there's a bunch of infected people from the town... If I were director, I would have made a cut scene where the enemies line up, and then do a coreographed dance to Michael Jackson's thriller. And then after the cut scene, just have them chase after Leon.

Too bad the Resident Evil films are already known as cheesey and crappy.

Swordsman
15-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Thriller is always a good time. those Resident Evil movies are just so damned bad. i think Resident Evil 4 could make a breakaway good movie if they fired everyone who had anything to do with the other movies.

i'm gonna go listen to Thriller now!