PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Shows

Ashley
05-04-2006, 07:16 AM
So, there's a lot now from Saturday Night Live to Mad TV, and more.
I'm a fan of sketch shows so I figured we could discuss them if anyone else likes them.
My favorites are SNL and Little Britian.
Saturday Night Live's Digital Shorts are awesome this season, and I miss Debbie Downer.
As for Little Britian, what can you not like about that show? I heart David Walliams and his sketches as Sebastian, the PM's aide are just hilarious, but Matt Lucas as Vicky Pollard is just a riot, as are the Fat Fighters skits. I want that show on DVD bad.

Anyway, anyone else out there like sketch shows? Discuss

once_dreaded
05-04-2006, 07:43 AM
The last time SNL was good, in my opinion, was when Mike Meyers was still on.

"Hello my name is Simon and I like to do draw-ings."
"Oh my gwash, I'm all verklempt."
"Like buttah"
Classics

kingdumbass
05-04-2006, 08:32 AM
My favorite will always be "The State"....
However, other great ones include "Exit 57" (a mostly forgotten Comedy Central series from the mid-90's that featured a young Steven Colbert, and most of the "Strangers with Candy" cast), and "The Kids in the Hall".

EmotionSickness
05-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Nothing can touch Flying Circus. But, yeah, I'm a huge fan of any and all sketch comedy shows, namely...

SNL
Laugh In
The State
Little Britain
Kids in the Hall
Chappelle's Show
The Carol Burnett Show
Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows

Ardnax
05-04-2006, 11:10 AM
I love Little Britain! But that's like the only show that's actually on one of the channels I have... *mumbles and curses*

BrunoJA
05-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Sausages.

PhoeniX
05-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I love Little Britain, David Walliams and Matt Lucas knew when to stop. But my favourite sketch show is The Fast Show.

gotasmoke
05-04-2006, 03:11 PM
I love Little Brittain. We have an Irish show called Naked Camera and it's very good too.

Mandy
05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
One of my favorite characters from a sketch show is Stuart from MadTV.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/Alynndan/madtv1.jpg
Never get sick of watching reruns of those sketches.

I've also always loved the flying circus because they always had something new.
I can't recall very many reocurring characters. I could be wrong though, I doubt I've seen them all.

Ashley
05-04-2006, 06:57 PM
The last time SNL was good, in my opinion, was when Mike Meyers was still on.

"Hello my name is Simon and I like to do draw-ings."
"Oh my gwash, I'm all verklempt."
"Like buttah"
Classics

I just bought SNL: The Best of Mike Myers.
It has my two favorite Myers skits: Philip the Hyper-Hypo Kid and Sprockets

Mandy: Stuart and the lady that clears her throat constantly, the lady that plays Stuarts mom plays her as well, those are the only reasons I flipped the channel to MadTV. I was never a fan of it, someone tried to convince me it was the best sketch show ever... I disagreed strongly.

I forgot all about Laugh In, I used to love that show.

Jacoby
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Mr. Show

Best sketch comedy. Ever.

I always thought SNL was crazy better than Mad TV. Mad TV was mostly really cheap laughs, even the funny stuff like Stuart just felt...odd.

But yeah, Mr. Show is my favorite sketch comedy. Spire actually told me about it four years ago, or whatever. He thought I was really gayhomo for never seeing it.

hasselbrad
05-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I still like early SNL...because I am old and crotchety.
Those first seasons were comedy gold, mostly because of John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd and mountains of cocaine.

Ranman
05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
SNL is the best. I love the Adam Sandler years

My favorite is when 4 guys come out of a space ship naked
saying " There isn't 4 aliens in there who are way stronger
than they look doing anal exams"

Swordsman
05-04-2006, 11:18 PM
SNL is actually really good this season. Two A-Holes and a Travel Agency was some goooood stuff. Mr. Show is definitly the hottest sketch comedy though.

hasselbrad
05-04-2006, 11:27 PM
SNL is actually really good this season. Two A-Holes and a Travel Agency was some goooood stuff. Mr. Show is definitly the hottest sketch comedy though.

Is the SNL cast back on drugs? I've seen exactly one episode in the last two years...when Jason Lee hosted.

Jacoby
05-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Since they picked up the guys from the Lonely Island, as ES and Cale mentioned a while ago, SNL has gotten funny again. But it's just more funny to go to TheLonelyIsland.com and watch the sketches they've made, because they're funnier.

Renegade
06-04-2006, 12:17 AM
No Debbie Downer this season? Hmm, I liked that sketch. I remember the Lohan episode where Rachel Dratch couldn't stop the cast from laughing. Ooo, I always liked Tracy Morgan's "Brian Fellows" sketch. Haha. "Hi! I'm Brian Fellows!"

I hate MadTV now. It's just not funny. I thought it was hilarious 5-6 years ago when Alex Borstein and Will Sasso were still there. Steven Seagal and Mrs. Swan were my favorites. I've drifted from the show a lot since then because every single one of the cast members from that season has left, except Michael McDonald.

EmotionSickness
06-04-2006, 12:24 AM
How could I forget Mr. Show?! I fucking love David Cross and Bob Odenkirk. I also really liked the short-lived Ben Stiller Show, which Odenkirk was also a part of. Can't forget Upright Citizens Brigade, either.

And, yeah. MADTV sucks.

Swordsman
09-04-2006, 02:42 AM
i can't believe i forgot UCB i've seen UCB live like 7 times in NYC. MadTV can S my D.

Mandy
11-04-2006, 03:11 AM
I forgot to mention In Living Color.

BrunoJA
11-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Homey don't play that!

Ashley
11-04-2006, 06:23 AM
In Living Color was HILARIOUS.

Fire Marshall Bill was classic. Click for a video of FMB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDanADcx03c&search=Fire%20Marshall%20Bill)