PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Serbs and Serbia?

Balkan
05-04-2006, 03:34 AM
What do you think about us? Do you know some Serbs?

Mandy
05-04-2006, 04:13 AM
I'm getting really fucking sick of these kinds of threads.

kingdumbass
05-04-2006, 04:18 AM
I think that Serbs live in Serbia....
And Serbia is where Serbs live.

Seriously -- this one time I went to Serbia, and I couldn't believe how many Serbs they had running around. They were all over the place. I was like, "HEY! Where'd they get all these Serbs?!?"

I even asked a guy on the street: "Why are there a bunch of Serbs in this country?". He just looked at me.

I guess they just hang out there.

Ashley
05-04-2006, 05:18 AM
Mandy I think we should start a "What do you think about Kansans thread" because that is just as rediculous as all these threads.

As for the "topic" of this thread, I have little thoughts on Serbia. The north has a climate like Kansas.... hot summers, cold winters.

BrunoJA
05-04-2006, 05:24 AM
I believe the sarcasm likely indicates ignorance in this case lol

Balkan
05-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Do you know this Serb? (you should)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/412/nikolatesla4ul.jpg

kingdumbass
05-04-2006, 06:31 AM
Charlie Chaplin?

once_dreaded
05-04-2006, 06:31 AM
*Scratching head* Can't say that I know the dude...maybe he's related to/is Prince Ferdinand the 2nd, the dude's assasination led to WWI (am I right History buffs?)Then again he might be a clean cut Rasputin *head banging*

Ashley
05-04-2006, 06:41 AM
I believe the sarcasm likely indicates ignorance in this case lol

Sarcasm indicated that I think threads like these serve little purpose. Why can't their just be a "Different cultures" thread or something like that, not 3 separate threads, it seems redundant. That's all I'm saying.

Oh and the guy in the photo had something to do with A/C electric currents, he's an inventor.

Digital_Ice
05-04-2006, 06:45 AM
I believe that guy is Nikola Tesla, A physicist and electrical engineer, after whom things like the Tesla Coil and various other (real and fictional) electrical arcing devices are named.

...and I agree with Mandy, stop with these threads already!

Balkan
05-04-2006, 06:46 AM
That is Nikola Tesla (the guy that invented electricity and many other things).
If it wasn't for him, we would not be on this forum today. We would see Keira's photos only in manualy printed newspapers.

Balkan
05-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Many of Tesla's inventions are advanced even for this age. Like wireles transfer of electricity. If we used that inventin today, we would not need any cords (you can just take a light-bulb and it will light up).

Digital_Ice
05-04-2006, 06:53 AM
woohoo i was correct!
And technically, he didn't "invent" electricity, he mearly harnessed it.

deviljet88
05-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Is that why the defense structure in Red Alert for the Soviets is the Tesla Coil? Sick. Cool guy.

Edit: Oh really Ice, just a guess? :P

Digital_Ice
05-04-2006, 07:07 AM
No, I've always had an interest in his work, and yes, that is why the Tesla Coil in Red Alert is called the Tesla Coil. (dyk that the Tesla Coil is a real invention.. they actually exist)

Balkan
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Einstein's wife, Mileva, was also Serbian. She was very smart too.

This is Vuk Karadžić, another genius:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9454/vukkrdz7tg.gif

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7536/azbuka0yp.jpg

He is the reformer of cyrillic alfabet (azbuka) that is used in all countreys who have cyrillic alfabet (but only Serbs use all letters of his alfabet). He also reformed Serbian grammar, that is still in use today in countreys that speak Serbian (Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia).

kingdumbass
05-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Holy shit....
Charlie Chaplin was an INVENTOR, too??? Was there anything the man couldn't do?

Mandy
05-04-2006, 09:20 AM
This would be like me going "What do you think of Native Americans and Indian reservations?"

And I really wouldn't care what anyone thought.

Liam
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Keep your fucking pants on people.

Its a new user who was probably given an idea by some recent popular threads. As such, it is a legitimate thread and will continue to be a legitimate thread until a moderator or administrator decides it isn't. If you want to talk about Serbs and/or Serbia, do so here. If not, don't post.

Its pretty simple.

Ranman
05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Aren't Moe, Larry and curly from Serbia?

BrunoJA
05-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I wasn't referring to you, Ashley.

AureaMediocritas
05-04-2006, 03:03 PM
The name of your most popular national hero seems to be Karadjordje (perhaps less popular than Gavrilo Princip ? :p ) and during WW I "you" were secured by the Tsar, in WW II "you" got severely crushed by the Wehrmacht (because of Mussolini´s miserable failure to conquer Greece haha), but "you" always maintained a courageous resistance against the Germans. After the war Tito united Yugoslavia, successfully opposing Stalin´s "satellite state" policy and therefore including it to the countries neither attached to the "West" nor the "East". After Tito´s death all kind of countries became independent, fucking up the region up until now.

I ´ve heard that during the recent Balkan wars, the Serbs cut off 2 fingers off when they captured a Muslim from Kosovo or Bosnia etc. I also heard that now Serbian police is easy to bribe, unless you ´ve got a Muslim (or Muslim-sounding) name, in case of which you are automatically under arrest for a day or two.

In short, Serbia is a funny country.

Balkan
05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
The name of your most popular national hero seems to be Karadjordje (perhaps less popular than Gavrilo Princip ? :p )

Yes, Karađorđe (it means The Black George) is one of the greatest national heros. We do not concider Gavrilo Princip a hero.

in WW II "you" got severely crushed by the Wehrmacht (because of Mussolini´s miserable failure to conquer Greece haha)

That is not true. Chetniks (elite royal army) ware not crushed during the WW II. Wehrmacht crushed Partizans (Partizans ware just communists with guns, not an elite army, so they did not fight as well as Chetniks did). Even though Chetniks freed Serbia, Partizanes killed them after the war because Chetniks wanted King to rule and they hated Tito.

After the war Tito united Yugoslavia...

Tito did not unite Yugoslavia, the king Aleksandar united Yugoslavia in 1918.
Tito divided Yugoslavia (he created borders inside Yugoslavia and made Kingdom of Yugoslavia a federation of 6 states)

I ´ve heard that during the recent Balkan wars, the Serbs cut off 2 fingers off when they captured a Muslim from Kosovo or Bosnia etc. I also heard that now Serbian police is easy to bribe, unless you ´ve got a Muslim (or Muslim-sounding) name, in case of which you are automatically under arrest for a day or two.

That are just lies. That is not true. Ustashas (Croatian extremists) cut fingers of Serbs so Serbs coud not show Serbia national symbol of 3 fingers.
Serbs did not commit any crime agains Muslims (exept when police captured some terrorists that burned churches and killed Serbian civilians). If we commited some crime against Muslims, then Arabs would not have supported Milošević (Milošević was president of Serbia then).

AureaMediocritas
06-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the Chetniks !
As for the 3 fingers, do you not think that you are a bit stuck in a Serbian perspective ? And, while we are at it, how come that your national symbol is this posture ? Because you are orthodox (-> Holy Trinity) ? I ´d like to know.

Balkan
07-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the Chetniks !
As for the 3 fingers, do you not think that you are a bit stuck in a Serbian perspective ? And, while we are at it, how come that your national symbol is this posture ? Because you are orthodox (-> Holy Trinity) ? I ´d like to know.
I do not understand what do you mean by "stuck in a Serbian perspective". I do not think that I am stuck anywhere.
As for 3 fingers, we have many national symbols, but 3 fingers are most popular. And, yes, 3 fingers represent the Holly Trininty.

AureaMediocritas
07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
You call the Muslims "Arabs", which is a first sign of a bit of a subjective approach, then the thingy with your "police" catching "terrorists"... I think we agree how vague such terms can be.
As for the 3 fingers, I am proud to affirm that it is not all lies. I ´ve seen it myself for the father of a friend; he used to work as an engineer at an airport.
He is from that well-known town divided by a river where the fighting was particularly hard ; I think it is called Mostar.

Anyway, how is the situation down there ? Everything under control now ?

Balkan
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
You call the Muslims "Arabs", which is a first sign of a bit of a subjective approach

I don't call all Muslims Arabs, I just call Arabs Arabs. Some Arab countreys are our friends.

then the thingy with your "police" catching "terrorists"... I think we agree how vague such terms can be.
How do you call a pherson that burns churches, houses and police stations? They are terrorists.

As for the 3 fingers, I am proud to affirm that it is not all lies. I ´ve seen it myself for the father of a friend; he used to work as an engineer at an airport.
He is from that well-known town divided by a river where the fighting was particularly hard ; I think it is called Mostar.

Anyway, how is the situation down there ? Everything under control now ?
Mostar is divided by Muslims and Croats. There are not many Serbs there. They hate each other again, because Croatia sends soldiers to Iraq.
What do you mean by "As for the 3 fingers, I am proud to affirm that it is not all lies"? I did not understand what are trying to say.

Balkan
08-04-2006, 06:06 AM
I think it's fairly safe to say that what I know about "Serbia" is that "Serbia" has been at war longer than I have been alive (and I'm 62.) Serbia is the source of most of the world's Heroin.
KLA is the source of most of the world's Heroin, not Serbia. KLA bring those drugs from Albania and we can not do anything to stop them because America protects them.

Slobodan Milosevic (The Nazi War Criminal) is finally dead, unfortunately of natural causes.
He was not a nazi and he was not a war criminal. He did not die from natural causes, Hague tribunal killed him (they poisoned him) because they could not prove that he was a war criminal.

They believe that "ethnic cleansing" will help keep them "pure." That is just another lie fabricated by CNN to justify the bombing of Serbia. That was not an ethic cleansing, that was war against KLA (Albanian mafia and terrorists).

Incidently, (in keeping with American's inability to decide who are the good guys and who are the bad guys,) the people being slaughtered in "Serbia" are the brothers and sisters of the people doing the slaughtering in Iraq & Iran.
No one is being slaughtered now in Serbia. Those who ware being slaughtered ware terrorists (KLA). Serbs did not kill any civilians (mafia and terrorists are not civilians). Americans are those who are doing the slaughtering in Iraq. There is nothing hapening in Iran now.

Serbs do not have anything against Muslims and we do not have the "Muslim problem". Only problem here is KLA (Albanian mafia).

Balkan
08-04-2006, 06:15 AM
The topic is "What do you think about Serbs and Serbia?", so, please, do not talk anymore about wars and bad thing on this topic.

Let's talk about Serbian cuizine, culture, people, music... and things like that.

BrunoJA
08-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah...how's the food?

AureaMediocritas
08-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah. How ´re the girlZ ?

Balkan
08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Here is one picture from one Serbian party:

http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/7602/p6030006198564mv.jpg

They are roasting an ox.

BrunoJA
08-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Oh, I thought you were responding to both questions with the photo...roasted woman.

Got anything for a vegetarian? lol

Tabrasa
21-04-2006, 03:06 AM
It has been quite some time since I've read Tito:The Rise and Fall of Yugoslavia. I will say the history of the region has shown not decades, but centuries of hatred and killing. Hitler's own S.S. troops reported the behavior between the factions in the region disturbed and disgusted even them. The hatred seems to run on a bone-deep level that makes the middle-east seem like disneyland. Some of the atrocities I read about that were committed are beyond belief.

What do "I" think of Serbs? Nothing more or less than I think of any people. You have your good and your bad no matter where you go. What do "I" think of Serbia? That the different factions in the region should put down their old animosities and get along.

P.S. One of my favorite all-time actresses is Mira Furlan, who fled the country to the United States with her husband many years ago. I know her best as Ambassador Delenn on Babylon5, but her main forte' is stage productions. She is one sexy lady.