PDA

View Full Version : French Riots...Part Deux!

hasselbrad
30-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Le Linque (http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/france)

So...any opinions on this?
Seems a bit silly to expect to have complete job security, doesn't it?

DefyingGravity
30-03-2006, 05:40 PM
They're French, what do you expect?

hasselbrad
30-03-2006, 05:41 PM

Touche' :fencing:

fandekeira
30-03-2006, 06:04 PM

hey i am french maybe not really pround to be one but i am and i havent got the choice but in france we are 55 millons and 2 millions were in riots so i totaly agree ones that ar in riots ar totaly stupid but that wasnt all of the french in it!i agree 2 on the fact that we cant have a security job ...that's it i agree 2 that most of french are suchcking cus tey ar conceited... but not all like that!
cheers!

DefyingGravity
30-03-2006, 06:07 PM

hey i am french maybe not really pround to be one but i am and i havent got the choice but in france we are 55 millons and 2 millions were in riots so i totaly agree ones that ar in riots ar totaly stupid but that wasnt all of the french in it!i agree 2 on the fact that we cant have a security job ...that's it i agree 2 that most of french are suchcking cus tey ar conceited... but not all like that!
cheers!

Heh, chill man. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I would have said the same thing if it were in any other country, because I'm a douchebag like that. I'm actually learning French, I love French culture(even including all the goddamn cigarette smoke, but I guess that's Europe in general and not just France, either way, I love cigarette smoke) and hope to visit France one day.

J'adore le français!

hasselbrad
30-03-2006, 06:43 PM
media is blowing it out of proportion again. As a student i would not be to happy either with that proposal and if people react that 'heavy' than it's not just for that they are angry.

How exactly is the media "blowing this out of proportion"?
Roughly 4% of the population has been involved in riots for a week or so, not to mention the threat of general strikes.
From what I've read, unemployment among young workers hovers at around 20% because employers are hesitant to hire them due to lack of a track record. Of course, maybe it's much ado about nothing since unemployment among French workers is over 10%.

AureaMediocritas
30-03-2006, 08:40 PM
It seems to me that the main youngsters responsible for trouble are either
radically inclined (left wing, extreme left wing) students using the anger of
their fellows to recruit or show their activism against the right wing government,
or the bunch of most admirable highly intelligent gheTto-GangstAz that haven´t
had the opportunity to express their frustration enough last time.

At least they´re having fun again.

2 Million people rioting ? Bullshit. Protesting, yeah.

hasselbrad
30-03-2006, 08:50 PM
You're right...they're not all rioting...my greater point, though, was that it seems kind of ridiculous that they'd rather have two in ten out of work than to take a little personal responsibility for their performance on the job.
Over here, if you can't cut it...it cuts you.

AureaMediocritas
31-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I agree with that. Yet you need to know that centuries of social struggle for
secured employees rights - especially in a country such as France - as well as a
long history of left wing political consciousness are opposed to the American
scheme you just mentioned. One could have a lenghty discussion about that so
let´s just assume that over here acquired rights and privileges are far less easily
given up than elsewhere, an attitude which, some preach, will constitute the
principle obstacle for European competitiveness in the future.

Foeni
31-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I believe this new law could be a good way to get more young workers jobs. Do your job well, and this new law will only affect you in a good way. I heard that they've compared it to the Danish system, I don't know how much though.

fandekeira
31-03-2006, 04:15 PM
i know defyinggravity that u didnt want to offend anyone but that wes fr saying that ones are rioting ar a minority!
gd luch for learning french cus it is a dificult idiom!!!

salut!

marine
31-03-2006, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=AureaMediocritas

2 Million people rioting ? Bullshit. Protesting, yeah.[/QUOTE]

thanks for your common sense

Well I had made this great post but it I deleted it, stupid me. I can't bother writting it again so you'll get a summary:

. these are not riots, they are manifestations. Student are going to manifest against something they don't want. So unfortunately stupid jerks come around and stir up troubles (they steal from students manifesting, cause damages to cars, and shops and hopefully get their asses locked up in jail). Now I'll admit that some students did cause damages to some schools but don't generalize please.

. There are two dispositions that cause problem among people (everyone even those not concerned, as it is only for people under 26). The main one being that we can get fired without any reasons, explanations being given to you. Well as much as I understand the need for flexibility, I have a problem with this one. If you want to fire me tell me why.

. My personnal point of view if that this law is not going to resolve anything. The French system doesn't work anymore and the education in France just highlights that pretty well. In France professional formations in high school are looked down upon and University is considered to be the holy grail (funny thing considering that it doesn't actually teach a job). I love university I really do, but it is not for everybody (one of my friend was forced to do a normal high school program because her average grade was 10/20 instead of going to a professional high school and learn a "job"_I don't remenber what it was- as she wished to do). Well in short, it's rotten.

.Do we need reforms? yeah, but they're going to have a hard time. As AureaMediocritas put it, it's in our history, we're used to a lot of advantages.
. Feoni it's funny you mentionned the reforms in Danemark, because both "sides" are referring to them and frankly I don't believe that people will agree to reforms similar to them, and even if, these are two different countries. The mentality in France probably needs to change, but it's going to take time.

. De Villepin (Prime Minister) handled things pretty badly. He came out of the blue with this law (some in his own cabinet and party didn't even know about it), the opposition didn't really have the time to discussed it because he used his constitutionnal power to shorten the time in parliament. I think he invited the main unions (students or not) way to late to talk about it (and I think students union were to stupid to refuse to talk to him last week).
. I also think that it was quiet naive to think he would ever withdraw his proposition. As for the students (especially seniors from HIgh School) manifesting, I hope they'll vote in 2007 that will be more effective.

. As far as I'm concerned, I'm against the blockade of the universities (they tried twice where I go, and we ended up forcing the blockade ourselves to go to class yesterday,WITHOUT violence).
I know the system needs reforms and I can conceive that more flexibility will increase the chance of firms employing, but this law is not perfect, it was badly handled and telling students that unemployement is waiting for them and then telling them they can get fire anytime in their first two years without explications was bound to stir up trouble.
What can I say, students are naive young people who believe they can have everything (social advantages, and a great contract securing them from unemployement), we just have a hard time come down to earth :p)

I don't remenber the other things I had written so I'm done now (I won't read that again that's how I lost my first post, so I apologize for any mistakes)