PDA

View Full Version : Tax Season

Mandy
16-03-2006, 04:19 PM
So it's that time of year again, and God knows what a procrastinator about it I am. I was supposed to go with my mother today to get ours done, but it seems I've got a case of strep throat and I'm not in a condition to drive an hour.

I'm telling my mom that I'm thinking of doing them online, but I've never done them before and she's worried that it'll become tax fraud and I'll go to prison (my mom thinks like that). Does anyone here do their taxes online? If so, with what program/site?

marine
16-03-2006, 04:51 PM
this is one of the few advantages of being a jobless student, I don't have to worry about taxes. Hope you won't end up in jail :p

Liam
16-03-2006, 05:09 PM
The Tax Department here are more lenient towards errors for people who use the online software. Only use official software provided by the government, or you deserve to have you tax return stolen.

Leonie
16-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Mum does what little tax stuff I have to do :icon_bigg I wouldn't know...

Mandy
16-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah, makes me miss living at home.

hasselbrad
16-03-2006, 06:19 PM
You're pretty. You'll be very popular in prison. :p

Seriously, the online tax stuff works fine. If I'm not mistaken, the IRS may even have an online doomaflopper that you can use for the 1040EZ. Since I'm currently living in a dumpster, I don't have any deductions, and therefore use the EZ form. Actually, I think their doomaflopper is a phone based touchtone deal.
Anyway, Turbotax works like a charm.

And, I'd be remiss if I didn't pimp this...

www.fairtax.org

seventhson
16-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I've got a case of strep throat and I'm not in a condition to drive an hour.

I hope you feel better soon.

I've been blessed w/ 6 older brothers. The eldest is a CPA. He does family for nothin. That's good, 'cause I never could have figured out how to file over the past 3 years since my wife & I separated. Married, file separate; Married, file jointly, single, head-of-household, tail-of-nothing? Is there a deduction for being a door-mat? I'll claim one.

Peace,
(-: SeventhSon :-)

kingdumbass
21-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I believe there's a website for filing online listed right on your W2....
It's not really difficult. And believe me -- even if you screw up (which is hard to do), they sure as hell won't send you to prison.

The IRS doesn't waste its time with a discrepancy of a few hundred dollars.

BrunoJA
21-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Woot! No taxes for me yet!

And even when I graduate, I won't make any money, anyway! So it's all good.

ryan
21-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Woot! No taxes for me yet!

And even when I graduate, I won't make any money, anyway! So it's all good.

that's a good thing to you?

BrunoJA
21-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Of course. No taxes. Isn't that the ultimate goal in life, even if it means living in poverty?

ryan
22-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Of course. No taxes. Isn't that the ultimate goal in life, even if it means living in poverty?

paying taxes means you're making money. making money allows you to do things...material possesions... travel... enjoy some of the finer things in life.

i really hope you don't think avoiding taxation is a goal of life.

BrunoJA
22-03-2006, 01:15 AM
I've been nothing but facetious on this thread.

In all seriousness, I'll have problem whatsoever paying taxes when I make enough money to need to.

Mandy
22-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Are you going to stay with your parents for the rest of your life? Live in a ditch?
You've got to start making money at some point in your life.

Kelsey
22-03-2006, 01:34 AM
I made, like, a hundred dollars less than the amount required to pay taxes. Yay for being broke.

BrunoJA
22-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Are you going to stay with your parents for the rest of your life? Live in a ditch?
You've got to start making money at some point in your life.
I am not living with my parents. I'm in college.

Did you miss the part where I said I was being facetious?

Mandy
22-03-2006, 05:02 AM
Shut up and stop posting shit in my thread.

BrunoJA
22-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Aww, OK, then.

*hangs head in shame and shuffles away*

kingdumbass
22-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Can I still post in your thread?

Jessie T
22-03-2006, 02:29 PM
How does work the taxes in USA? Personal property, income tax?
There's a funny episode from 'The 3rd rock from the sun' the have to make their tax return... hilarius.

ryan
22-03-2006, 07:49 PM
How does work the taxes in USA? Personal property, income tax?
There's a funny episode from 'The 3rd rock from the sun' the have to make their tax return... hilarius.

There are many taxes here...sales tax, income tax (local, state, and federal), property tax, etc.

when income checks are received, money for social security, local/state/federal taxes, medicare, etc are all automatically deducted from your total check amount.

Jessie T
22-03-2006, 07:56 PM
thanx... almost like here, the difference is that in USA people see the taxes returning in services, in Brasil you see the politics having fun with our money...

hasselbrad
22-03-2006, 09:07 PM
thanx... almost like here, the difference is that in USA people see the taxes returning in services, in Brasil you see the politics having fun with our money...
No...the politicians pretty much fritter it away on stupid shit here, too.
The Republican Party is represented by the elephant.
The Democratic Party is represented by the donkey.
These symbols are outdated. I think the Republican symbol should be fat hogs, feeding at a trough. The Democrats should be represented by a drunken sailor with his arms around a couple of prostitutes. (a nod to President Clinton)

Jessie T
23-03-2006, 11:36 AM
No...the politicians pretty much fritter it away on stupid shit here, too.
The Republican Party is represented by the elephant.
The Democratic Party is represented by the donkey.
These symbols are outdated. I think the Republican symbol should be fat hogs, feeding at a trough. The Democrats should be represented by a drunken sailor with his arms around a couple of prostitutes. (a nod to President Clinton)

That's why even the aliens from "The 3rd rock from the sun", just like John Lithgow said on the show : " They lie in the taxes!!!".:)

ryan
23-03-2006, 11:43 AM

brasil, eh?
i wouldn't mind vacationing there.

Jessie T
29-03-2006, 02:46 PM
brasil, eh?
i wouldn't mind vacationing there.
If you have a chance someday, you'll be welcome to visit my state:
Rio Grande do Sul (or in good english: Big River of South)
http://www.lapsi.eletro.ufrgs.br/lab/mapas/brasil.gif

And if you come to my state, look for me in Porto Alegre:
http://www.lapsi.eletro.ufrgs.br/lab/mapas/rs.gif
And maybe we can talk about taxes, movies and whatever.:icon_beer

once_dreaded
29-03-2006, 10:13 PM
W00T!!! Hey Brazilian *MWAH*

Oregon - no sales tax unless you purchase alcohol or cigarettes. We do have a $.05 charge per soda/pop/alcohol cans/bottles but you get it returned to you when you return the cans/bottles through recycler programs. Gas (petrol?) is more expensive because we have people pump it for us but it gives more people jobs so it's all good...even when you have to WAIT for the attendant to find his/her way to your vehicle.