PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: More Than Half of Americans Reject Evolution, Back Bible

Flightfreak
10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
deleted

deviljet88
10-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I thought it was the general view of the Church to take the Creation stories in Genesis to be metaphorical and not literal... Creating everything in 6 days... and resting on the 7th... wow.

Foeni
10-03-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm not religious at all. Religion is the root of all evil.

hasselbrad
10-03-2006, 12:44 PM
NEW YORK A Gallup report released today reveals that more than half of all Americans, rejecting evolution theory and scientific evidence, agree with the statement, "God created man exactly how Bible describes it." Read more (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002154704) oh boy :icon_conf

Which religion do you practice? (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism...)
How religious are you?

I never claimed we were the smartest nation. :)
I worship at the Church of the Painful Truth.

calereneau
10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's the deal in America. The media has made evolution something that directly opposes Christianity and creationism. As a result, the popular American thought is this: If you believe in evolution, you are an atheist. This is not good for either side of the argument.

Personally, I believe in the bible AND evolution. Something that most American's don't even consider. Here are the basics of what I believe:

- I'm a Western thinker, I suppose you could say, as I do believe that everything we know has a beginning and an end. Many, if not most, Eastern philosophies do not include this idea, because it's just not that important. Everything has always existed.

- If everything has a beginning and an end, then I believe the universe came to be at the will of God. That's not to say I discredit the big bang theory, but it seems highly speculative at this point and I don't think there's enough evidence to prove it. If there was one, I'd say God had something to do with it.

- The bible says that God created everything in 7 days. I believe this, but I believe that the 7 days were spread out over a period of time, not in a single week. This explains the age of the earth and things like that to me.

- I don't believe in macro-evolution, as in we all evolved from a primordial ooze, or a single organism. However I think it would be rather foolish to debunk micro-evolution since there is plenty of evidence to support that human beings and the world in general have evolved.

But to answer your question, I'm a pretty religious person. I was raised as a fundamentalist Christian, but I'm not really a fan of what that means politically and socially today. I think in my lifetime I've only gone about 25 sundays without attending a church service if that gives you any idea. I love God and I love discovering new things about the world we live in that can be attributed to Him. Evolution, for example.

Hmmm.....that's all I feel like typing. Peace out.

calereneau
10-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I never claimed we were the smartest nation. :)
I worship at the Church of the Painful Truth.

America is typically not as progressive as England or other European nations.

When England was giving women the right to vote, we were just going through our industrial revolution. Typically, we're always a good 30 to 40 years behind England when it comes to social advancement. And yet, we could still whoop you guys in a war. But a real war....not the pointless wars we seem to be so fond of. Keep that in mind. :D

This is a side note. Back to the topic....sorry.

BrunoJA
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I am irreligious.

PhoeniX
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I am irreligious.
Yeah i'm an athiest as well athough I do find it small minded to immediatly dismiss religion and the fact is no matter what you believe we're never gonna know are we?

calereneau
10-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah i'm an athiest as well athough I do find it small minded to immediatly dismiss religion and the fact is no matter what you believe we're never gonna know are we?

Exactly. I find it humorous that many Christians will proclaim that other religions are wrong when we have no way of proving that ours is right. We say we believe because we have faith, as if our faith is superior to other believers of different religions.

We don't know. We can't know. So we try, and we have faith in what we eventually choose. That's how I view religion, and mine in particular.

BrunoJA
10-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm not an atheist. Religion just has no place in my life. I guess I'm agnostic if you had to label me...

Mandy
10-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I despise religion threads.

BrunoJA
10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Pourquoi?

Mandy
10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Because they normally end in ridiculous banter and then someone with a lockstick comes.

BrunoJA
10-03-2006, 04:57 PM
That's too bad...Only an idiot would argue about religion.

Mandy
10-03-2006, 05:20 PM
That's the idea.

BrunoJA
10-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Indeed.

calereneau
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
This thread wandered off the track quickly. i guess mandy was right. Go Mandy!

Mandy
10-03-2006, 07:11 PM
heh, I'm just having flashbacks to Religion threads past.

Kelsey
11-03-2006, 06:06 AM
I seriously doubt that as many as half of the American populations rejects the idea of evolution.

I am not at all religious.

kingdumbass
11-03-2006, 07:16 AM
The so-called "Theory of Evolution" is ridiculous....
I know this because a book written a thousand years ago about an invisible man living in the sky tells me so. Humanity did not evolve from other forms of life; it was created by a spooky, all-powerful father figure who no one has ever seen.

It's quite simple, folks.

BrunoJA
11-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Sounds good to me!

DragonRat
11-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Religion's a touchy subject. And America is surprisingly one of the more conservative nations in the world (because the Brits kicked out all the Puritans, and they landed in Massachusetts Bay). So it's no wonder why a majority of Americans believe in creation; a majority of Americans voted for Bush, as well.

Does that necessarily mean that creationists are stupid? No, of course not. I've read some good theologians describe their views, and theirs can be compatible with an evolutionary-biological perspective. Does that mean that evolution is "evil"? No, of course not. It is simply a misunderstood phenomenon that is natural to the existence of species in the world; people have taken it at face value and used it for their own platforms of eugenics, discrimination, etc. And Bible-thumping fundamentalists deride its ultimate thesis of the primitive organisms from which we have evolved, because they believe that we are divine creatures (or at least descended from some such entity). Certainly we are nothing more than human beings; our only fault is that we are imperfect, though we can perceive of perfection. (Anselm thought so himself.)

At any rate, I've subscribed to an evolutionary-biological perspective coinciding with my Judeo-Christian creationist worldview since I was in the sixth grade, when I would argue stupid theological points with a Muslim and a fundamentalist Christian. I don't consider myself a practicing Christian, and I believe in evolution more so as a biology major in college. But that is not to say that humanity is not a beautiful thing, nor are any of its more intriguing sociological aspects, such as politics and religion.

This thread will probably end aporetically anyway, so I won't make any real point. But, if anyone knows about the Scopes "Monkey" Trial, William Jennings Bryan, who was a devout Christian who believed in creationism, was not a stupid man; indeed, he was a three-time Democratic nominee for the Presidency, and a brilliant lawyer in his own right.

(Oh, and I ask that people refrain from continuously spamming this thread needlessly...)

deviljet88
11-03-2006, 10:15 AM
But the article isn't about the Christians that believe that, yes there's the process of evolution but God sparked it or created the initial stage (creationism). It's about "God created man exactly how Bible describes it". Man created out of the earth in the image of God, Adam and Eve, the 6 days of Creation, etc. Is that stupid?

Liam
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Gallop: more than half of the responses to this thread are a waste of precious bandwidth space.

I'll let you decide which half you think I'm talking about.

DragonRat
11-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, I don't necessarily think it's stupid to believe in what religious tenets espouse in the case of creation. I would rather think it ignorant, but not stupid. I mean, assume we were living in the past. Some of the most intelligent people dof those times would probably believe things that we think ridiculous. Besides, it's certainly easier to say that God made the heavens and the earth in seven days, than to describe the evolution of Earth as a process over the course of billions of years, to change from single-celled organisms to complex entities with sentient minds - not necessarily on the hands of a clockmaker, but more so of a tinkerer.

Most people in this country either refuse to listen to the prospects of evolutionary biology, or they choose to ignore it and cling to their own ideas about things. At any rate, this country was founded upon Judeo-Christian beliefs (especially the Second Amendment, heh), and I would have been surprised had more people believe in evolution than creation.

DragonRat
12-03-2006, 08:50 AM
If you can believe in god creating earth in 6 days, why not believe in finding 72 virgins in heaven when you become a martyr?

Because, whereas 72 seems like a rather ridiculously arbitrary number, 7 days (not 6) refers to the days of the week - the seventh was the day that God rested from His creationist schemes (some people say that we are in the seventh day). Oh, and the Judaic monotheisms (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) all believe that God made the heavens and earth in a week's time. Islam just added that extra incentive to their ever-so-willing missionaries.

However, both are pretty good attempts at convincing mankind in the almighty power of the Lord - whether in amassing the entire universe within a definitively temporal span, or providing heavenly (literally) comforts and pleasures in the hereafter to those who die for their god.

deviljet88
12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
7 days (not 6) refers to the days of the week - the seventh was the day that God rested from His creationist schemes (some people say that we are in the seventh day).

Good play on the story, but I'd think you'd generate a :icon_conf reaction with the literalists.

dave
12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
... I find it humorous that many Christians ...

We don't know. We can't know. So we try, and we have faith in what we eventually choose. That's how I view religion, and mine in particular.

Actually, we can. With the Hubble, and the proposed replacement we are very close to being able to actually photograph the last few seconds of "The Big Bang"...

Remember, light travels at "The Speed of Light" away from an action. Our telescopes now are precise enough that we are seeing the sky as it was very close to the beginning of time (i.e. seeing things so far away that they are going through what happened back when the Universe was formed). The people who make their living by terrifying the people who don't know better, (let's call them Mullahs, or Priests) those people are working very hard to insure that when the astrophysicists publish their pictures of the dark matter exploding and forming suns and planets, that nobody will believe them.

We have this new phenomenon over here, the schools did such a great job of propagandizing (I suppose I should edit that and change that word to "teaching") people into believing that "Only The Elite" know the truth, that now a "Scientist" is some type of Visionary/Enlightened being that the "Mullahs" and "Priests" are no longer "authority figures" except in certain imaginary disciplines.

1) In the next twenty years we'll photograph "The Big Bang".
2) In the beginning God Created The Heavens & The Earth.
(a) Moses spoke to God and told of when he would return
(b) Zoroaster ditto (Father of Astrology)
(c) Abraham ditto (Father of Jews & Arabs)
(d) Jesus ditto (1000 years)
(e) Mohammed claimed "Had you known Jesus, you would know me." Koran, (Surah of Joseph?)
(f) The Bab (http://www.bahai.org/article-1-3-0-1.html)

Which puts us way beyond where any of you wanted to go when you began to question whether 50% of Americans believe in a strict reading of The Book of Genesis. Clearly, it ain't so, because after Cain slew Able, who did Cain marry? But, more importantly 50% of Americans are of "below normal" intelligence thus are easily influenced by "Mullahs" and "Priests".

Now make that figure 75% and that would be meaningful.

Oh, Yeah. I started to describe the new problem we have over here. It's not Creationism .vs. Evolution, it's something called "Intelligent Design". One of those slippery things invented by creationist to permit them to step around the discussion and just "posit" that some space aliens came and did the deed or some "special thing which we'll call God, merely for convenience in discussing this with you..."

So the Religionists have a new tool. It's called "the scientific method". They posit that since you can't prove otherwise, it was a traveling spacecraft with a creature much like "God" in it...

As for me, I have several religions. But the one I've always "fessed up to" when pushed against the wall was given to me in a very revelatory speech by an old friend. He described his church in such glowing terms that I immediately converted and have been trying to practice it every chance I get. His church? It was named "The First Church of Immediate Gratification."

deviljet88
12-03-2006, 12:14 PM
But if the Big Bang didn't happen SO BLOODY FAR AWAY, we wouldn't be able to photograph it? Sounds interesting anyway.

Liam
12-03-2006, 06:38 PM
This is quite an amazing thread. For all the people who say they hate having the religious views of others forced on them, there is a lot of that going on.

Well done!

DragonRat
13-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I found this article off FARK.com. I don't necessarily subscribe to the same conclusions, but it makes for interesting rhetoric.

here (http://sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000D4FEC-7D5B-1D07-8E49809EC588EEDF)