PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2004

Pages : [1] 2

Sarah
20-06-2004, 01:09 PM
COME ON ENGLAND!

Who do you think will win (I think England can do it if they put their arses into it)

Frank Lampard is so fit! Sorry, I'm a girl, I can't help it.

Who will win!? England. :p

Leonie
20-06-2004, 01:15 PM
We lost to the Czech Republic yesterday. Gg Netherlands. We probably won't even make it to the quarter finals. I'll post a pic of my neighbour's garden later, quite funny, Dutch and English flags and such. It will be so much fun watching them take it all down again :D

Glow
20-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Meybe when Keira will play in Euro 2004 then someone football group win :)

Vertical Vortex
20-06-2004, 05:57 PM
We lost to the Czech Republic yesterday. Gg Netherlands. We probably won't even make it to the quarter finals. I'll post a pic of my neighbour's garden later, quite funny, Dutch and English flags and such. It will be so much fun watching them take it all down again :D

Damn... dont tell me about it! We played well... butt we still can make it IF we win, and germany loses... but that would be likely because Czech's wont put in there best players...

Forcast for 06-23, 12-0 for the dutch!

Hazzle
20-06-2004, 11:07 PM
I see the Czechs drawing with Germany, but y'know don't underestimate Latvia...they should've beaten both the Czechs and the Germans (with two blatent pens against the Germans) and will be out to qualify themselves...I personally tip em to surprise the Dutch and sneak through.

I am actually watching EVERY match, and analysing it in my own unique way, compiling a report on every match...when it's finished I'll do some sort of serialisation on here, should make those of you who're into football laugh as it's quite comic.

As for who'll win...on the basis of the fact we should so have beaten France, and the fact that we proved against the Swiss that we can grind out a result where necessary, I see us doing it...who is there to fear when we were 3 minutes from beating the French? We should beat Croatia in my view, but we don't have to, and I don't see them beating us if we put in 100%.

The Portuguese look ripe for the picking in the next round, fluked their way through and will be walkovers, mark my words. Spain should have beaten them, and Greece DID...so if we play like we can we should get passed them. The Czechs would probably await us in the next round, and on the basis of their performances they may well be THE team to beat...but I think we can do it...France in the final perhaps? It would be sweet to have revenge and get our justice against them, for robbing us of the win in the group match.

apoggy
20-06-2004, 11:09 PM
I think England will do one of two things:

1. Bomb out tomorrow like we seem to do in the European Championships
or
2. Go on to reach at least the final

I'm hoping its the second choice, we do have a real chance if we get through the groups

Hazzle
20-06-2004, 11:12 PM
I totally agree...it's either a repeat of the Romania game or the start of something special...I hope it's the latter...just keep bloody Phil Neville as far away from the pitch as possible...calamity personified that man...I reckon Sven just took him so if we bomb out he has an excuse, "Phil Neville kicked a ball in training and that brought us bad luck". :D

Kelsey
21-06-2004, 12:07 AM
The France/England game was on the first night I was in London. It was really cool to see how into the game everyone was. We just hung out in a pub the whole night (well until the extremely early hour of 11 when we moved to the big screen in the hotel bar) which was scary but cool at the same time. When England scored, this one guy flipped out, I thought he was going to have a seizure or something...very funny though. Anyways, as for who will win, I don't really know [or care.] I just posted to say that the atmosphere was really, really cool and exciting.

deviljet88
21-06-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking England is very shaky... Versing Croatia when they had 2 draws, including 2-2 against France. If they don't bomb out, they'll most likely be 2nd considering France will whip the Switz. Which means, they versus Portugal next round :) I don't like England's chances.

apoggy
21-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Have you seen the way both england and Portugal have played? I don't think so, Portugal have played with no confidence and have scrapped a few results to get through. England on the otherhand outplayed France for 90 minutes and were only beaten by a world class individual. The Switzerland match showed that we can grind out good results without playing particularly well. What more do you want?

Liam
21-06-2004, 12:46 PM

We was robbed. Never seen such shitty refereeing as I did in that game. Van Nistelrooy could arguably been given a penalty, and had Davids put his shot away the game would have been over. Alas.
No matter, the Latvians have to crack sooner or later :)

Go Holland. And stuff.

England won't win it. The performances I've seen in the games so far havent been those of a tournament winning side.

deviljet88
21-06-2004, 12:47 PM
I'll just wait for the results then. Don't gloat yet, who knows, an upset by Croatia might happen. I'm in Australia, so I'm pretty much neutral :P

amishka
21-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Russia 2; Greece 1, cant get any better than that :D :D :D :D :D

Newell4keira
21-06-2004, 03:59 PM
No offence to any Dutch, but what is the problem of losing to the Czech's? They are a great team, i think the porblem with them is Holland are a lot of individuals and dont work to well as a team but thats my opinion.

As for England, if we figure out how important this game is then i dont see a problem against Croatia and i think we will 2-1 or 3-1.

I also think, as a Liverpool fan, that people criticising Michael Owen will see him play his best further in because another example is Thierry henry who hasnt scored yet or played rather well himself.

apoggy
21-06-2004, 09:21 PM
4-2!!!!!!!!

Newell4keira
21-06-2004, 09:31 PM
4-2!!!!!!!!

YES. WHAT A WIN, ENGLAND IN THE QUARTER FINALS PORTUGAL TO BEAT!!!

I think Croatia were a bit lucky with there goals but England walked over them and i hope Owen can find his way into the score charts soon. Anyway COME ON!

Sarah
21-06-2004, 10:11 PM
That was a good match! It was very intense! Our family was jumping around like proper loonies! I was so happy that Lampard scored! I won my bet with a friend! Good match! Now we have to beat Portugal!

Vertical Vortex
21-06-2004, 11:17 PM
guys.. guys.. just face it... holland is going to win. Its allready a fact... they win the match with 12-0.

Hazzle
22-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Ok...England...spanked Croatia...should've been an even bigger margin and they only looked dangerous on set plays...in fact the first free kick leading to the goal never was, but unlike the Dutch we're not whinging moaners. :P

No, Ruud should never have gotten the pen in that game...he went down quicker than a cheap hooker. :D

The Czechs deserved to BATTER the Dutch who probably should've gotten beaten by the Germans...lucky Dutch to even be in with a shout, in my view.

I'm still holding out hope that the Latvians do them...they're capable of it...the front man Verpakovskis was superb so far.

As for Portugal...pathetic...Ronaldo is an over-rated pile of donkey dung and will be shown up for the rat-faced, make-up laden earring-clad tosser he is when he comes up against class defenders like England have...when he did come up against Carles Puyol he wasn't good enough and had to be switched against the ineffective Raul Bravo.

We should've beaten France, who were very fortunate...on the basis of the fact we showed against France what we can do, we showed against the Swiss that we can grind out a result, and against the Croats that we can fight back without panicking, we have all we need to win...plus we have the best young player in Europe...ROONALDO!!!!! What can't that kid do? :)

With Scholes back to goalscoring, he'll be the force he's been for United of late. We have it all set up. In fact, analysing the group, we were robbed by France, and we bettered their results against the Swiss and Croats...so why the heck can't we win it? The French are the holders ffs.

The only teams to play better than England have been the Swedes, Danes and the Czechs...6 points from 2 games is a very good record, and contrary to what the biased tango-drinking freaks that support Holland will tell you, the Czechs deserved to win. Ruud's goal was offside, incidentally, even with the new analysis! He was never, at any stage in the move, so much as in line.

Trust me, I've watched every game of Euro 2004 so far and England have few teams to fear...the only team that can beat us, is us ourselves. We have the second biggest support out in Portugal, second only to the hosts, and we have the best young talent in Europe. :p

We have all we need to win this...Portugal will actually be easier than the Greeks (simply because of their 4-2-3-1 formation which will suit us) and after that we have few teams to fear. We'll get France again in the final, and do to them what they did to us...steal victory right from under their noses...:)

Vertical Vortex
22-06-2004, 10:32 AM
12-0 for the Dutch... i tell ya!

Edward
22-06-2004, 10:39 AM
boo yeah!

Portugal here we come

keira loves lipgloss
22-06-2004, 03:22 PM
boo yeah!

Portugal here we come
come on Rooney make england proud lol :p

Sarah
22-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Rooney is fantastic. A true gem.

Elijahfan
22-06-2004, 03:51 PM
my brother is obsessed with football even though we like in the States. we dont have cable or anything so me goes to his friend's house even just to watch, sometimes that friend isn't even there. it's crazy. he has like 10 jersey's that cost him 60 US dollars from teams in europe. i hope england wins though.

Newell4keira
22-06-2004, 04:12 PM
England will win with performances like that.

Tomorrow night, hopefully Latvia will beat Holland and the Czechs will beat Germany so Latvia and the Czech republic go through

Kelsey
22-06-2004, 05:35 PM
I've changed my mind...I want Portugal to win. That's my new country.

Sarah
22-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Portugal? Pppphfff no way. They don't deserve to win. We're going to knock them out on Thursday!!!! Come on England!!!!!! ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!

Hazzle
22-06-2004, 11:10 PM
I think Latvia may well surprise Holland tomorrow...they deserved to beat the Germans, and even to get a draw out of the Czechs...that earns them a lot of credit for their first ever major tournament for me.

As for Portugal...we should knock them out in the next round...they have so many fewer goal threats than England...Deco was anonymous against Spain, Figo was poor, Ronaldo was average and Nuno Gomes' goal was flukey...Spain deserved to beat them and England will, especially as we were easily better than France.

Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes all have goals...and our two best players Beckham and Owen have yet to score...their time HAS to come, and when it does we'll have a front 6 with goals in it, compared to the Portuguese team which doesn't have one player with more than one goal. We're the top scorers in the tournament, and have a defence that should cope with Portugal's one man up front tactic well.

Plus we owe Phil Scolari revenge for knocking us out of the World Cup with Brazil.

We should then probably face the Swedes next, which'd be our hardest game as they're a bogey side for us, but we owe them revenge for earlier this year and it will come. Sven's due a win over his home country.

The French in the final, hopefully, with the chance for revenge. They certainly should despatch the Greeks even if they play poorly, and if they play like they CAN, they should even beat the Czechs. I'd like to have the chance to prove we ARE better than them by beating them in the final.

Best young talent in Europe...what more do we need? 4 goals already and I see Rooney finishing as the youngest ever golden boot winner. Scholes will now start to get the goals he used to and has been getting for United, Lampard is a constant goal threat and will get more, Gerrard is lethal and Becks and Owen will get their chance.

Mark my words...England...European Champions 2004. Then to march on to Germany and take back the World Cup 40 years after beating the Germans in England in 66...be ironic to beat them in their own back yard 40 years later I think.

DragonRat
23-06-2004, 01:15 PM
As strange as my time tramping around (or rather, vacationing with family) in Asia, I still have a chance of catching Euro 2004 games in the wee hours of the night. England, in my opinion, have looked the best team of the tournament (discounting the stoppage time against France), although the Czechs are no longer the dark horses we expect, and I expect them to beat the Germans.

France do not look like the powerhouses of the past six years, but their last win against the Swiss showed the better side, with Henry finally getting on the map. Of the games against the Swiss and Croatia, though, England have looked fantastic. Rooney, I must admit now, is the best player that you English have.

Portugal, in beating Spain, deserved to win. Spain still does not have the ability to beat past all their good players and get a real victory in the major tourneys. In a way, I always thought Greece could come away with an upset. They're not a brilliant side, but they're not an average team that anyone can dust off. (Still, Greece will be licking Henry's boots, and Rooney will probably score another brace against Portugal...)

The Czechs have already won Group D, and they've showed their class already against Holland, coming back from 2-0 to get three straight unanswered goals. If only Baros could be as effective for Liverpool as he is for his national side, heh. I probably see Holland getting in anyway before Germany, although Advocaat is a dolt, sticking with the old crew when you got van der Vaart, Sneijder, and Robben. All three of them are potential world-beaters, especially van der Vaart. Advocaat was stupid to play Seedorf ahead of Raphael against the Czechs.

Denmark and Sweden got through, and though their 2-2 draw was quite suspicious, Italy didn't deserve to get through anyway. Again, because Trap did not start Cassano ahead of Del Piero, he stuck with the old guard, when Del Piero's starting to lose his quickness, and Cassano and Totti already had a partnership in Roma. The Totti thing was a real loss, too, but he spat at a player, and that's not really cool. Anyway, the Scandinavians deserve to go through: Sweden's got a good-looking offense with an above-average midfield and a strong defense; Denmark's got an incredible defense and a decent front.

My prediction for the final: England 3, Czech Republic 2

Hazzle
23-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I hope it's not the Czechs...I want to beat the French :) We need our revenge!

I think the French at their best can just edge out the Czechs, but I'd say the Czechs are certainly one of the favourites for the tournament now. I'd say it's unlucky for the Danes to have to face them, as they probably won't quite be good enough.

I see France beating Greece, England beating Portugal in a tight game, The Czechs beating the Danes and Sweden perhaps even managing to shock the Dutch (whose goal to chance ratio is worse than ours and who were most flukey in the way they beat the Latvians with two dodgy goals...if they're descending to cheating against a team like Latvia, how do they hope to beat the Swedes who've been sensational?). For me neithing Bouma nor De Boer are convincing against the best, and it often looks like Stam and Van Der Sar hold their defence together...against the strike force of the Swedes which is sensational, I think the Swedes should take it 2-1.

I see us beating the Swedes on pens (it's always the way...the Swedes are hard to beat...and we've got to break our bloody duck on penalities eventually...) and the French just edging the Czechs on pens too...France England final, with the Czechs beating the Swedes for third place.

EDIT: PS, the report on Euro 2004 will be finalised after the tournament and posted...I'll need to edit it for past tense and of course erase my eroneous predictions :D (actually, there haven't been that many...I predicted the Swedes drawing with Denmark 2-2...you just knew it would happen! Just as you just knew the Germans were out tonight...I of course WANTED Latvia to do it, as they've been such a credit to their nation, but the Dutch did always looked favourites...though weren't convincing at all)

tarmadir
24-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Yes, Germany is out. :( And our trainer, too. And there are two questions now: Who will be the next Bundestrainer: Daum or Hitzfeld. And where the hell we get some good strikers till 2006. My tip for the final is the Czechs against England, too. The Czechs will win 3:1. ;)

Edward
24-06-2004, 10:21 AM
wow

too much to read

can't wait for england tonight

Sarah
24-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Considering how much effort England have put into the Euro 2004, we really do deserve to win. I've never said that before. We deserve to win. Another thing I can't stand is European countries being bitter towards England because we've got through.

apoggy
24-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Predictions for tonight?

My guess 3-1 England win, Goals from Lampard, Owen and Rooney

Sarah
24-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Predictions for tonight?

My guess 3-1 England win, Goals from Lampard, Owen and Rooney

Thats funny, I was having a discussion about this with my friends this morning. Oddly, I predicted the same score as you, but my prediction was as follows:

3-1 . England win, Goals coming from Lampard once, and then Rooney twice. I don't think Owen will score, I believe he is going to make a big come-back in the final.

As for Portugal's goal, it comes from Ronaldo.

Come on boys!

Flightfreak
24-06-2004, 04:54 PM
belgium has not even made it in to the pre selections :(

acliff
24-06-2004, 07:00 PM
1 nil to ENGLAND !!! OWARHASWRWHAH

acliff
24-06-2004, 09:32 PM
FUCKING ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!1one
A fucking swiss ref is gonna die.

Sarah
24-06-2004, 09:34 PM
We were robbed!!!!!!!! IT WAS A FUCKING PERFECT GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM GOING TO MURDER THE REF!!!!

Jacoby
24-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Not a very good time to be English. :/
It's too bad...

Sarah
24-06-2004, 09:39 PM
We WON that game. The swiss ref WAS being bias. I cannot believe he disallowed the goal. There was NOTHING wrong with it.

Pete
24-06-2004, 09:41 PM
glad im dont live in portugal tonight......

thousands of drunken england supporters drowning their sorrows and trashinf the town.... tomorrows papers going to be interesting.....

beckham should have scored - cant believe he skyed it!!!! at least vassel had it on target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah
24-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Beckham needs to retire. He's old and past it. How SLOW ws he tonight? Sorry Beckham, you need to leave.

Mandy
24-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Don't really know what's going on with the whole European football stuff...but...sorry for your loss. My condolences.

Sarah
24-06-2004, 09:51 PM
We lost... yes, but ONLY because the ref disallowed a PERFECT goal. The anger I am feeling cannot be described.

acliff
24-06-2004, 10:08 PM
We lost... yes, but ONLY because the ref disallowed a PERFECT goal. The anger I am feeling cannot be described.

I'm sure I'm right in saying that the anger you feel is felt by many including me, and that is fucking catastrophically. Good entertainment though.

apoggy
24-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Current MSN name: The Referee's a Wanker

says it all really

Hazzle
24-06-2004, 10:48 PM
We played 11 cheating Portuguese and a home-biased Swiss tonight...12 men against 11 isn't fair, is it?

Perfectly good goal not allowed and it wasn't the first time the bloody ref screwed us over in that game.

As for Beckham, it wasn't his fault. The way he strikes the ball, he puts a LOT of pressure on his standing foot, and the spot just gave way...c'mon EVERY single player patted that spot down before they took it, so clearly something was wrong.

I swear the Portuguese knew, which is why they opted for England to take the first pen...cheating bastards!

Now I'm backing a Sweden v Czech final...so long as the Portuguese and French who both robbed us don't win, I'll be content, although thanks to a Dutch "friend" of mine who chose to laugh at me tonight after the game, I now want the men in orange to fall...sorry to all of the Dutch folk at KKW, but that's how it is.

Cheating Portuguese don't deserve to bloody win it...GAAAAAH!!!

I hope the England fans bloody burn Portugal to the bloody ground...serve the bloody hosts right for cheating.

Kelsey
24-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Portugal!

Good times.

I'd like to see this game now since it's caused to much reaction. It was all over the newspapers and stuff when I was there the day after the France/England game, so I can only imagine what England is like now after this game.

Sarah
24-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Kelsey, no disrespect to you. But I don't think it is a wise decision to rave about Portugal in this thread. There are so many devastated fans and we cannot bear the torture of the disallowed goal that was such a perfect goal. You cannot call yourself a fan of Portugal. I simply see you as a glory supporter. Real fans support their team trough thick and thin. Have you supported Portugal for more than a week? Oh please.

Kelsey
24-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Actually Sarah, I can support whoever I would like to support, and I'll respect who everyone else supports. And I'm not supporting the team really, I'm supporting the country. I'm sorry that you lost, but honestly, it's not the end of the world. Sorry that you were beat by Portugal, whom you obviously believe is somehow below you.
And would I be the type of person to even care about something like the Euro football thing, like, *really* care, I probably would go for Portugal because where I live, the Portugeuse are a huge part of our population and I've grown up around their festivals and patriotism. As for glory supporter, I was rooting for Portugal before they beat England. And no disrespect to you, but I see you as a self rightous England fan.

Hazzle
24-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Kelsey, no disrespect to you. But I don't think it is a wise decision to rave about Portugal in this thread. There are so many devastated fans and we cannot bear the torture of the disallowed goal that was such a perfect goal.

Yeah...true...I would suggest that since this is an English website with a lot of English people on it, and English mods and two english Admins (well Ducky ain't back, but when he is...). Probably unwise to piss off a nation who're devastated at being cheated...I mean the news story was the second highest...even above those British hostages being released :)

Put it this way...my Dutch mate got a torrent of abuse and blocked for rubbing the defeat in my face...and whilst yours wasn't so bad...I dare someone else to push it one step further as I'll rip their heads off myself :)

You cannot call yourself a fan of Portugal. I simply see you as a glory supporter. Real fans support their team trough thick and thin. Have you supported Portugal for more than a week? Oh please.

Probably a fair point, but Kelsey also makes a fair point...she has the right to back anyone she likes, especially as she's not European. I mean Portugal were actually my pick to win the tournament before it began, as they have on paper a superb team and great support, but to my mind their performances have not earnt them their success, and their fans were not as good as ours.

Now can we all settle down a little? :p. Sarah, I understand your distress, trust me I do, I was crying myself...but the yanks don't really get our obsession with "soccer" so have a little pity on them, eh? We can just hope to draw the USA at the next World Cup and we can beat them en route to winning it as we will :p And Kelsey, with all due respect, I know you're really into Portugal as a nation, but you're not REALLY a supporter, whereas a lot of us VERY strong ties to this tournament as it's OUR country in it (I mean I'm sure Americans want their sporting stars to do well, don't they?)...please just forgive us our current emotional distress and heartache, and the bitterness that goes with being cheated, which leaves a foul taste in all our mouths. Mmmm...bile. :D

Sarah
24-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Actually Sarah, I can support whoever I would like to support, and I'll respect who everyone else supports. And I'm not supporting the team really, I'm supporting the country. I'm sorry that you lost, but honestly, it's not the end of the world. Sorry that you were beat by Portugal, whom you obviously believe is somehow below you.
And would I be the type of person to even care about something like the Euro football thing, like, *really* care, I probably would go for Portugal because where I live, the Portugeuse are a huge part of our population and I've grown up around their festivals and patriotism. As for glory supporter, I was rooting for Portugal before they beat England. And no disrespect to you, but I see you as a self rightous England fan.

I never said Portugal were below us. We were beaten unfairly. Perhaps you should watch the match.

Yes, you were rooting for Portugal when they won their last match. I saw your post in this thread a while ago.

I am not a self rightous England fan. I just support my team and they deserved to win tonight. Portugal should be out now.

You clearly have no idea what REAL football means to us.Just because you've been in a pub and seen English people cheer, doesn't give you any idea.

Hazzle
24-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Ladies, ladies...c'mon...stop that now...

Yes, Sarah, Kelsey doesn't really get what it means to us, especially as unlike the France game (where we were just unlucky) this time we were actively CHEATED out of the game by a dodgy ref.

As for Portugal going out...c'mon the Swedes...beat the Dutch and then the Portuguese...they have the team to do it...and if they don't get through the Dutch are too good for Portugal.

And France will hopefully get beat by the Czechs who've been exemplary...they're my hope to win it now, just to shove it to the Portuguese and French... arrogant tossers! Bet they don't even acknowledge how lucky they both were!

Sarah
24-06-2004, 11:44 PM
I am just upset and in shock. Why couldn't someone show the ref footage of the goal before he went and disallowed it. It's a load of bollocks!

Kelsey
24-06-2004, 11:46 PM
So why is it such a big deal to you? Because I don't give a shit about whether or not England wins? That would have been very nice if they had won (from what you say, you should have won, and since I *can't* watch the game, I have no other choice but to believe what you say), but since the results didn't go your way, excuse me for expressing my opinions and not-even-that-excited joy that Portugal won and will be moving ahead in this tournament.

As for not appreciating the English love of "soccer"...please. We are just as passionate about certain things as you are about football. I can completely respect the fact that you people are torn by the fact that your team didn't win. But now I ask you to respect the fact that I don't agree with you. And if you think the name of a country in blue letters with an exclamating mark somehow says it all, then you're mistaken. As for true supporter? How do you describe true supporter? I have a Portugal jersey, I can speak a little bit, I have a little Portuguese in my blood....who effing cares whether or not I dedicate my life to supporting their team?
I'm sorry that I offended you. I realize that this board is made up of mostly British people but I don't see how that makes a difference. The Americans on here (most of us) do a good job of putting up with your opinions on Americans and things important to the American people, so all I ask is that you return the favor. Just because this board is made up of mostly English, I'm not going to conform so I can make everyone else happy. I'll support whoever I want to support, taking the risk of offending whoever.

EDIT: This was supposed to go before Haz's post. And I can fully understand what "real" football means to you. I get upset at shit endings and chance happenings too. Triple Crown anyone?

Hazzle
24-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Ladies...come on now...kiss and make up <gets a nice vision>. Arrr...that's more than made up for losing tonight :p. Easy to please me :D

See, now you can both gang up on me and bitch about me being a chauvanistic male stereotype :)

deviljet88
25-06-2004, 12:53 AM
Hm... Prediction for me was correct, but wow close to have a penalty shootout... Commiserations to English supporters.

Hazzle
25-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Hm... Prediction for me was correct, but wow close to have a penalty shootout... Commiserations to English supporters.

Especially when we had a perfectly good goal in normal time ruled out...robbed I tell you...ROBBED!

Ashley
25-06-2004, 03:24 AM
This makes me wish I had a sport to care about during the summer. Sure baseball is okay, but the Royals are shite this year after such promise coming in. I'm getting off topic. Condolences to you all... not I'm re-living the KU Georgia Tech game..... must stop thinking about sports.

deviljet88
25-06-2004, 09:45 AM
This makes me wish I had a sport to care about during the summer. Sure baseball is okay, but the Royals are shite this year after such promise coming in. I'm getting off topic. Condolences to you all... not I'm re-living the KU Georgia Tech game..... must stop thinking about sports.
In Victoria australia you have to follow the AFL, but my team (Essendon) is being caned in recent times :( *checks for replay of the England vs Portugal match*

Liam
25-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Jesus.

Even the most blindly devoted England supporter would have to admit that the better team won on the night. There wasnt one single 5 minute period in the game where England looked in control. Gerrard was shit, Lampard did nothing (sort of redeemed himself with that goal), Beckham was revealed as really being not that special and overall the team played as if they had run a marathon just before the game. They were dead on their feet.

The Portuguese side actually played a bit of football. Incredible, that.

And as a goalkeeper, I like to goalkeepers become the hero for a change. Good on Ricardo. Saved a sudden death penalty without his gloves then put his shot away to bag the win. Excellent stuff.

/me braces for the inevitable torrent of 'woo, england!!11one' rhetoric.

ralfusius
25-06-2004, 02:47 PM
to all the english loving people: don't worry ! we (Holland) will kick portugal out of the tournament in the semi-final, we "only" need to win from Sweden and then we're in the semi-final!
I really enjoyed that germany had to leave the tournament earlier then we did, because i'm going on holiday to mallorca , and a lot of german people go to mallorca on holiday as well. I 'll be wearing orange and sing: "schade deutschland, alles ist vorbei ,alles ist vorbei ,alles ist vorbei. SCHADE DEUTSCHLAND ALLES IST VORBEI!!!"
joehoe!
Go Ruud or makaay or van hooijdonck or kluivert

Sarah
25-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Liam, Yes, I would agree that Portugal played better, but that doesn't give the bastard ref the right to disallow our perfect goal. We won that game, and thats that.

Edward
25-06-2004, 03:30 PM
my oh my oh my lol

we got cheated out AGAIN

stupid ref, he needs to go back to making cheese

Sarah
25-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Ah, so France Vs. Greece. I'm rooting for Greece. Come on!!!

Sarah
25-06-2004, 08:41 PM
>Yes, a double post, but within good reason<

Congratulations to Greece. It's about time someone new got a chance. Congratulations, indeed!

Hazzle
25-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Jesus.

Even the most blindly devoted England supporter would have to admit that the better team won on the night.

Errr...depends what you consider the better side...I consider defending stoutly for so long and then getting a winning goal is playing well enough to win...we didn't play as well as we could, and they looked in control, but they were still 1-0 down all the while they were in control...they actually scored at a time when we were looking better :)

There wasnt one single 5 minute period in the game where England looked in control.

No, there wasn't, there was the entire first 20 or so minutes until Rooney went off when we had ALL the chances...and then the last 5.

Couldn't agree more...hmmm...hosts got an extra day to prepare...make a difference mayhaps?

[quote]The Portuguese side actually played a bit of football. Incredible, that.

And for all that still weren't good enough to beat us fairly.

And as a goalkeeper, I like to goalkeepers become the hero for a change. Good on Ricardo. Saved a sudden death penalty without his gloves then put his shot away to bag the win. Excellent stuff.

I call it being an arrogant little fucker, but oh well...

/me braces for the inevitable torrent of 'woo, england!!11one' rhetoric.

Nahh...just the "You're an Aussie and don't know your football if that's what you think" rhetoric. The only side better than England in the tournament so far has been the Czechs...and the Dutch will not win it, since they can't beat the Czechs...

to all the english loving people: don't worry ! we (Holland) will kick portugal out of the tournament in the semi-final, we "only" need to win from Sweden and then we're in the semi-final!

I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden managed to dump out Holland.

Liam, Yes, I would agree that Portugal played better, but that doesn't give the bastard ref the right to disallow our perfect goal. We won that game, and thats that.

Well said lass!

Oh, and on the matter of the Greeks...they beat the hosts, Portugal, they beat the holders, France...who's to say they can't win the tournament? :D

I actually think the Czechs will beat them, and then go on to beat whoever in the final...they're just sensational. I see Sweden or Holland being too good for Portugal who for all their sensational build up STILL weren't good enough to beat us.

Figo was poor, Deco was even worse, and Ronaldo was kept well under control...Maniche, Nuno Valente and Miguel were their only players who played well...and then Simao when he came off the bench...could be an Arsenal man next season so I hear...not sure if we'll be able to cheer him :) Rui Costa was poor, but scored a brilliant but very flukey goal to his credit...I'm not sure they actually played all that well, they just had more possession...and even with all that they weren't good enough to beat us fairly.

Sarah
25-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Now I REALLY want to cry. The ref has apologised to Sven... So he's basically confirmed that England won the match. We were so cheated. I wish that they could take Portugal out and give us our rightful place. :( They HAVE to get some kind of TV out at the side of the pitch to let Ref's have a quick look at things. This must NEVER happen again. It would happen to us though, wouldn't it.

ryan
25-06-2004, 11:12 PM
christ, is it really all that important?
it's a damned game. it's not like its the one and only time a soccer/football tournament will ever take place.

Sarah
25-06-2004, 11:12 PM
christ, is it really all that important?
it's a damned game. it's not like its the one and only time a soccer/football tournament will ever take place.

You really have no idea, do you. Pph, you're American. What can we expect. Americans don't seem to realise just how important it is. How can you when you changed the name of it, anway. Go and play baseball.

Hazzle
26-06-2004, 12:44 AM
It was our time to win it Ryan...it was ours to win...it was our right to knock out France in the final...thankfully the Greeks ensured the French didn't even get that far...so long as Sweden or Holland ensure Portugal don't (and I think they will as Portugal aren't good enough) I'll be a happy man.

And yes Sarah, the ref admitting he was wrong proves we rightfully won that game...and who's to say we wouldn't have won the tournament, having knocked out the hosts with the holders already out?

Ryan, how would you feel about walking in on your best mate shagging your mum? I mean I could reply "It's only sex...it's perfectly natural" but that wouldn't change your reaction, would it?

It's a sense of injustice, of being cheated, of having something that was rightfully yours taken from you. You have no bloody idea you nitwit.

Basically, we know in our hearts that our lads were heroes...we defended like Trojans and we'd have, in my view, gone on to win it...we were the only side apart from France that looked capable of beating the Czechs (and don't anyone say Holland...Holland were lucky on the second goal which was blatently offside and to be fair even before the red card the Czechs looked like winning the game...they were the better side).

It's a horrible feeling Sarah, but all we can do is look forward to World cup 2006 and erasing 40 years of suffering :)

Kelsey
26-06-2004, 12:46 AM
You really have no idea, do you. Pph, you're American. What can we expect. Americans don't seem to realise just how important it is. How can you when you changed the name of it, anway. Go and play baseball.

Well, that's not very nice. Just because some people aren't as obsessed over dwelling on this game as you are does not give you the right to use the
very offensive "You're an American" excuse. You've been making unneccessary comments about Americans, and I am sick and tired of putting up with them (just ask the people here who had to calm me down after certain comments you made *months* ago.) Perhaps in the United States, we're not as passionate about football as the English are, but we respect your passion. And we're passionate about our own things, so respect that. And get over the changing of the name shit, you act like it was us personally.

Oh and about that baseball comment...You really have no idea, do you. Pph, you're English. What can we expect? The English don't seem to realise just how important of a national pastime baseball really is.

Hazzle
26-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Well, that's not very nice. Just because some people aren't as obsessed over dwelling on this game as you are does not give you the right to use the
very offensive "You're an American" excuse.

Course it does...who said football was about being "nice"? It certainly isn't about being fair after that game...I still don't get why the game can't be replayed...but no...that wouldn't do because the hosts might go out...could I dare to suggest that Portugal got the benefit of all doubt both against Spain and England? They should've been out against Spain had the ref made the right calls. As for the "You're an American" line...well Ryan gave a perfect example, and heck, even Liam gave another example of why outside of Spain, Italy and England noone can really get why football means so much to these three nations. Oh, and Sarah's perfectly entitled...oh, and she's perfectly right too, sorry:p

Perhaps in the United States, we're not as passionate about football as the English are, but we respect your passion. And we're passionate about our own things, so respect that. And get over the changing of the name shit, you act like it was us personally.

a) No you don't respect the passion...YOU might...Ryan clearly didn't...what was his line again..."It's only a game"?

b) The changing the name bit was a joke methinks...I wouldn't take THAT too personally ;)

Vertical Vortex
26-06-2004, 01:27 AM

its not important at all... those teams cost lots of money... and the only thing they do is trying to get the ball.
If you like it, its fine by me... who am i to say that you may not like it. Butt there are a group of people who think soccer is there life... its just a game... christ! If your team wins... yeah thats fun, but if they lose its not the end of the world or something. Its just not important at all...

Hazzle
26-06-2004, 01:41 AM
its not important at all... those teams cost lots of money... and the only thing they do is trying to get the ball.
If you like it, its fine by me... who am i to say that you may not like it. Butt there are a group of people who think soccer is there life... its just a game... christ! If your team wins... yeah thats fun, but if they lose its not the end of the world or something. Its just not important at all...

Dimwit...how wrong could you be? Football isn't life and death...it's more important than that...put it this way...the news story was more important than british hostages being released...and almost as important as loads of deaths in Iraq...I'm surprised it wasn't the TOP story...who cares about a few dead Iraqis when we were robbed?!

Now...in response to the girls...for whom there IS hope, unlike my Dutch "friend"...

…I’ve figured out where the animosity might be here.

For you American people out there, we know how patriotic you are, you have this really strong sense of national identity, and the Aussies have it too, but perhaps to a less “in your face” degree (sorry, didn’t mean to cause offence but that IS how you’re perceived in other nations on that score). You have patriotism present in your every day life, and respect to you for that. You have the 4th of July too which is a major day to mark your patriotism.

We have Saint George’s Day but noone ever seems to know when it is, and more celebrate St Paddy’s. You barely see a St George’s cross anywhere on the day, yet as soon as England get into a major sporting event, you’ll see the flag everywhere…it’s how we show our patriotism…we plunge it all into our sporting endeavour and being cheated out of success actually offends against the national pride, it’s like having a foreigner spit on your flag.

So…how about we just celebrate the differences, celebrate the way we both have our own ways as nations of showing patriotism, eh girls?

Either that or strip off and get into some mud…at least make it entertaining for the lads! :p

Vertical Vortex
26-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Dimwit...how wrong could you be? Football isn't life and death...it's more important than that...put it this way...the news story was more important than british hostages being released...and almost as important as loads of deaths in Iraq...I'm surprised it wasn't the TOP story...who cares about a few dead Iraqis when we were robbed?!

Now...in response to the girls...for whom there IS hope, unlike my Dutch "friend"...

…I’ve figured out where the animosity might be here.

For you American people out there, we know how patriotic you are, you have this really strong sense of national identity, and the Aussies have it too, but perhaps to a less “in your face” degree (sorry, didn’t mean to cause offence but that IS how you’re perceived in other nations on that score). You have patriotism present in your every day life, and respect to you for that. You have the 4th of July too which is a major day to mark your patriotism.

We have Saint George’s Day but noone ever seems to know when it is, and more celebrate St Paddy’s. You barely see a St George’s cross anywhere on the day, yet as soon as England get into a major sporting event, you’ll see the flag everywhere…it’s how we show our patriotism…we plunge it all into our sporting endeavour and being cheated out of success actually offends against the national pride, it’s like having a foreigner spit on your flag.

So…how about we just celebrate the differences, celebrate the way we both have our own ways as nations of showing patriotism, eh girls?

Either that or strip off and get into some mud…at least make it entertaining for the lads! :p
Yeah, sure, your right... but there are some who can over-react... it still is and allways be a game. nothing more than a stupid game. And games are fun... yeah. And i really hope that the Dutch will win... England has no chance anymore. But if they dont... i wont die or something.... we have allways our Queens day :rolleyes: ...

but well... wtf i am babbling about. i keeps you guys off the streets huh ;)

Jacoby
26-06-2004, 01:47 AM
I agree with Vortex, although I can understand people being as passionate as you are for sports, or for their country. But please Sarah, stop smashing Americans, it seems you are very sensative of your country but you have no respect for America. Believe me, America is corrupt and annoying, I can't wait to move over there. But still, when you say ''Pph, you're American.'' it kind of makes me, and maybe the other Americans, feel like shit. You seem pretty hostile toward Americans, even on the old forums, but just remember that you could be hurting the feelings of people you don't know. As for the Euro, I was upset with England's loss. I thought they would make it to the finals..

Hazzle
26-06-2004, 01:53 AM
I agree with Vortex, although I can understand people being as passionate as you are for sports, or for their country. But please Sarah, stop smashing Americans, it seems you are very sensative of your country but you have no respect for America. Believe me, America is corrupt and annoying, I can't wait to move over there. But still, when you say ''Pph, you're American.'' it kind of makes me, and maybe the other Americans, feel like shit. You seem pretty hostile toward Americans, even on the old forums, but just remember that you could be hurting the feelings of people you don't know. As for the Euro, I was upset with England's loss. I thought they would make it to the finals..

Arrr...a sensitive American...I actually like America and was considering moving over there...funny considering how many of you want to be here :p

I'm glad to see SOMEONE who can respect both sides without having to get too het up about it...5 star reply chief.

ralfusius
26-06-2004, 08:33 AM
...well Ryan gave a perfect example, and heck, even Liam gave another example of why outside of Spain, Italy and England noone can really get why football means so much to these three nations.
I would like to add The netherlands to that too, The match against latvia has been watched by 11,7 million people, in a country with 16 million people. I think that's very much! Some streets are totally orange!

I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden managed to dump out Holland
I'm sure we will win ( well , as long as it doesn't come to a penaty shoot out)

Edward
26-06-2004, 11:16 AM
nice greece

i want czech repub to win now

Sephiroth v2.0
26-06-2004, 01:10 PM
It's definantly Czechs all the way for me, especially after the Holland game which they played amazingly well in. Baros has played great this tournament and players like him aren't done justics (So it seems) in a Liverpool Jersey.
After being crushed by our defeat (Who the fuck paid off the ref) and snubbed by the Portugese (No you didn't deserve to win it... cunts) I want to see a team who deserves it win this year. Thus the Czechs, who won all three group matches and have look solid yet exciting have my support.
Now don't get me wrong I like the portugese team, but I think that they won't recognise our right to that victory is shameful. They have some great talent (Deco, Ronaldo) and stand to do well, but I will be backing another England rival now (Come on Larsson) as they have dissapointed me as hosts.

Sarah
26-06-2004, 01:42 PM
<Mass Edit> <I realise all you Americans hate me, but never mind, I'm sure I will survive :rolleyes: <

As for the Euro. Come on Greece. You can do it, boys!

Hazzle
26-06-2004, 01:54 PM
It's definantly Czechs all the way for me, especially after the Holland game which they played amazingly well in. Baros has played great this tournament and players like him aren't done justics (So it seems) in a Liverpool Jersey.
After being crushed by our defeat (Who the fuck paid off the ref) and snubbed by the Portugese (No you didn't deserve to win it... cunts) I want to see a team who deserves it win this year. Thus the Czechs, who won all three group matches and have look solid yet exciting have my support.
Now don't get me wrong I like the portugese team, but I think that they won't recognise our right to that victory is shameful. They have some great talent (Deco, Ronaldo) and stand to do well, but I will be backing another England rival now (Come on Larsson) as they have dissapointed me as hosts.

Yeah...I agree entirely...Czechs all the way for me...they're better than the Portuguese, as were we...but they don't have the bad luck we seem to always get at major tournaments...but I don't think it'll even come to that...Sweden and Holland are both better than Portugal in my view...Sweden were superb in the group stages and whilst Holland were somewhat fortunate to get through (two dubious goals against Latvia, one dubious one against the Czechs, and a lucky equaliser against the Germans when they deserved to lose) if they play like they can, they can destroy Portugal. Robben looks a class act, though I hate to say it...him being a Chelsea man and all.

Speaking of which I think it's great news for England that Chelsea have opted NOT to buy Deco and cultivate Joe Cole into the next Deco...if Mourinho can work the same magic he did with Deco (who was an average player 2 years ago with LOADS of potential he was wasting...like Joe Cole) then we may well have another superstar player and the answer to our left side problems, and the fact that of our team only Rooney seems able to dribble.

C'mon Sweden v Czech Republic final...

Sarah
26-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Football clubs have money to burn it would seem. I wish they'd give some money to GTFC. Apparnetly, Man U are going to bid £22 Million for Rooney. Bloody Hell.

Sarah
26-06-2004, 08:41 PM
After reading the newspapers this morning, they showed us funny pictures that have been going round the internet. I think they are so funny. Bring back a smile!

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/mappers/footie1.jpg

Urs and his guide dog. hehehe
http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/mappers/footie2.jpg

Good advice for the ref
http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/mappers/footie3.jpg

Wrong sport, love. lol
http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/mappers/footie4.jpg

Beckham's new book deal
http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/mappers/footie5.jpg

If I find the rest I'll be sure to post them. And they say we are bad losers...

Hazzle
26-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Football clubs have money to burn it would seem. I wish they'd give some money to GTFC. Apparnetly, Man U are going to bid £22 Million for Rooney. Bloody Hell.

That'll work...since Everton have said he's worth 50. Chelsea'll just come over the top...he's a 50 million pound man...either Chelsea or Real Madrid (do not be surprised if they make a bid...they did last year and that was before Euro 2004...after how poor Raul's been...)

He was only ever interested in the move to United on the back of Walter Smith being number 2...now Queroz is back I think he'd prefer Chelsea...

Oh, and the Beckham insults are so uncalled for...against Turkey it was the spot...against France it was a good pen just well saved...and against Portugal it was an even worse spot...any idiot can see that.

When all's said and done we didn't pass the ball well enough and retain possession. We were robbed of a late winner, but we really need to retain possession at this level...it's largely because so many of our players play in England where it's easy to get the ball back if you lose it...I'd love to see Lampard go to Italy, Gerrard too...so they can become better at keeping the ball. Rooney to go to Real and learn off of Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo wouldn't be bad either :)

Sarah
26-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I still think the pictures are funny.

ralfusius
27-06-2004, 10:06 AM
What did I told you? Holland would win! and they did it!
It wasn't a great match but we finally won on penalties, this heels our wounds (the one from euro 2000 against italy the most.)
mark my words: we'll make it to the final!

Sarah
27-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Congratulations are in order for Holland, I was rooting for you last night.

Edward
27-06-2004, 10:48 AM
come on england

we are going to win euro 2004!!!!!!

Sarah
27-06-2004, 10:53 AM
come on england

we are going to win euro 2004!!!!!!

I wonder what illness you have. Poor boy.

Hazzle
27-06-2004, 02:37 PM
What did I told you? Holland would win! and they did it!
It wasn't a great match but we finally won on penalties, this heels our wounds (the one from euro 2000 against italy the most.)
mark my words: we'll make it to the final!

Yeah, wasn't exactly convincing mate...Sweden had at least 2 golden chances in extra time to win the game...very lucky :)

That said, you should still be good enough to beat Portugal...but whoever wins tonight's quarter between the Czechs and Danes will be the winner, in my view...the Czechs are THE form team (and will probably win it...they have the best attacking football around and the tournament so far has favoured those teams that play attacking football over those who play defensive football...just ask Italy, Germany and Spain who all sat back too many times) but if the Danes beat them, they'll have SO much confidence...I think the winner will certainly come from the Czech/Dane/Greek side of the draw...the Czechs the form team, anyone who beats them will be confident, the Greeks beat both the hosts and the holders, so who's left for them to fear? Just the Czechs, I'd say...

Czech-Holland final was actually what I thought when England and France were both knocked out...I hoped the Swedes would beat you, and they deserved to, but on paper the Dutch and Czechs started the tournament with the best teams.

Edward
28-06-2004, 09:42 AM
so who do you think is going to get the golden boot?

ruud van or baros?

Liam
28-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Haz is only saying that to spite me, knowing that I am cheering for Holland. :)

With President Bush visiting Ireland recently, security was pretty fucking tight. There was a call into the radio that said 'something has just been shot down moving high and fast over Shannon Airport. Turns out it was Beckham's penalty shot.'

Ho ho. Thought I would share that.

ralfusius
28-06-2004, 06:09 PM
http://utenti.lycos.it/gioska/sverige.jpg

tarmadir
28-06-2004, 06:26 PM
http://utenti.lycos.it/gioska/sverige.jpg
Isn’t this a little bit drastic.
Impressing German skills you have, by the way. ;)
Anyway the Dutch need to hurry up if the want to win something until... lets say 2020. I mean with the greenhouse effect and all. :D

Sarah
28-06-2004, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't go posting graphics like that. You'll feel more the fool if you lose.

apoggy
28-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Czech mate

Vertical Vortex
28-06-2004, 09:50 PM
just came back, had a long weekend and stuff
butt want to add:
HOLLAND is the best...!!! but we will lose next time... or we lose against the Czechs...

this is me while watching Netherland-Sweden
http://www.k00s.nl/site/files/fotos/ek_beurs_260504/002.jpg
i am the moron on the right...

Isn’t this a little bit drastic.
Impressing German skills you have, by the way. ;)
Anyway the Dutch need to hurry up if the want to win something until... lets say 2020. I mean with the greenhouse effect and all. :D

hmm, maybe you did not know YET... but we dutch build the best dikes on the world... we WILL survive!