PDA

View Full Version : Things you are proud of

michael22
06-03-2006, 04:25 AM
I just got 2nd in the provincials today and I was wondering what achievements are others proud of that stands out in there minds and makes them feel they have accomplished things in life without saying you did nothing worthwhile and what people say can tell you a lot about them.

My answers
2nd in provincials
8th in the world pipe band championships grade 4 (the higher the lower the band's skill is)
Being a good person daily
reading the Iliad in a day

DragonRat
06-03-2006, 06:33 AM
(1) unmatched skill in scansion and verse poetry
(2) "lightsabers" with a water pipe (and finishing them in a single, smooth, inhalatory motion)
(3) building a pretty damn good library and music collection
(4) smoke rings and French inhales (with a hookah)

(Of course, these are all personal achievements, especially the second one :P. The first one is just like knowing a dead language, except that people can get degrees in dead languages; and while most people are impressed at such a skill, most believe such esoteric knowledge as outdated. The third one is still in progress, since I would think I'm nowhere near a decent collection of books.)

I am inclined to believe that one's achievements, whether personal or public, should be an achievement unto oneself. One should feel proud of such things, not because others say so, but one feels a sense of accomplishment with oneself. Hey, it takes quite a pair of lungs for (2) and (4), and quite a mind for (1) and (3).

hasselbrad
06-03-2006, 01:12 PM
1. My daughter.
2. Writing a screenplay.
3. Getting up on stage to do comedy.

Leonie
06-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Managing to say "1,267,027 inhabitants" without blinking or stuttering in my Spanish presentation just now. Whee!

Liam
06-03-2006, 08:08 PM
My poor little laptop running WOW at obscene widescreen resolution at 50 frames a second, bless its little cotton socks.

Foeni
06-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Just me.

once_dreaded
25-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Higher than a 4.0 GPA in college (W00T for weighted A+'s)...I don't know what that would be in Brit terms but in Yankee terms it means I'm damn smart and work my arse off to maintain A-grades.

4.0 in High School for Junior and Senior year (hardest damn years because I took honor classes...*UGH* would've been SO much easier if I would've stayed with the average people) which earned me a vehicle from my Aunt, she made an agreement with me that if I maintained an A average the last two years I'd get a used vehicle...if I would've maintained the grades and gotten 1300 on SATs I would've gotten a NEW vehicle...*ugh* I hate the SATs

Left the abusive relationship that I was in...I'm SO proud of myself...and so are my friends and family

I can pop off rhymes like nobody's business...and sometimes come up with brilliant poetry

Ummm...I could go on...I do have a healthy ego that LOVES to express how wonderful I am but I think I'll stop just now.

Rob The BLack Douglas
26-03-2006, 02:00 AM
That some of my writing is actually decent.

Mandy
26-03-2006, 02:30 AM
I was spelling bee champion of my school both years of junior high. :D

kingdumbass
26-03-2006, 03:50 AM
I recovered from Polio to begin a brilliant political career, being elected president three times, and leading my nation through both an economic depression and a World War....

Howard
26-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Getting in the top 2% nationally on the ACT in the Duke TIP program.

Creating my own nicknames and catchphrases that all my mates use.

Gathering disciples and having a facebook club named after me.

Currently on track for acceptance into the U.S. Air Force Academy.

Completing War and Peace in 8th grade and loving all Russian literature I've read since then.

Controlling my time on Keira Knightley websites.

once_dreaded
26-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I recovered from Polio to begin a brilliant political career, being elected president three times, and leading my nation through both an economic depression and a World War....

King...you would be dead because you would be Franklin Delano Roosevelt....who was married to a lessie...and had a VERY controlling mother...and many flings with secretaries....I could keep going but I'll stop.

kingdumbass
26-03-2006, 09:17 PM
It's none of your business what I do with my secretaries....

Jacoby
26-03-2006, 11:19 PM
4.0 at Midterm. As far as I know it's still the same. I was pretty excited when I found that out. Not to mention proud.

Renegade
27-03-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm proud of my college acceptance letter to my first choice university that I got a few days ago. I can't believe I got in.

Jacoby
27-03-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm proud of my college acceptance letter to my first choice university that I got a few days ago. I can't believe I got in.

Congrats!

gotasmoke
27-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Entertaining people with my music.

deviljet88
27-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Awesome Renegade :D Can't wait to experience that day for myself, end of current visible troubles.

Liam
27-03-2006, 10:02 AM
And start of a whole new era of troubles that have been invisible to this point.

ryan
27-03-2006, 02:37 PM
top 15% of my class at my university (about 32,000 persons total)
my corporate acheivements and advancement
my ability to handle stress (very handy come crunch time at the office)

DefyingGravity
27-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm proud that I made the all-state choir for the second year in a row.

I'm proud that I managed to make an A- in a class called Politics of Music last semester, even though I didn't turn in this HUGE research paper on the Concert for Bangladesh that I should have done. The term ended a few months ago, and I'm still working on that damn paper. I still got an A-, though, yay.

Don't forget Social Security, love.

PhoeniX
01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Hopefully the thing i'm proud of will come in August (my GCSE results).

DragonRat
01-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Hopefully the thing i'm proud of will come in August (my GCSE results).

Anything else you might be proud of between now and August? :P