PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination

Leonie
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Every student on here knows what I mean. I'm the Queen of Procrastination, I really am. And I need a good GPA, so I need to stop being the queen and become like... the second in command in the castle's kitchen or something.

Any advice on how to stop yourself from postponing coursework till the very last minute? Any horror stories of doing all night-ers in order to get stuff done in time? I'm all for the tu quoque argument here to make my procrastinating habit seem less bad.

hasselbrad
01-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I'll get you an answer...

...later. :D

Leonie
01-03-2006, 01:59 PM
That's like what Mandy said, "Procrastinators of the world unite.... tomorrow or something." :icon_bigg

Mandy
01-03-2006, 02:03 PM
haha yeah, I was just about to post that. I saw it on a t-shirt.

Leonie
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh dear. See, this is what I mean. I'm supposed to be presenting on the region of Aragón in Spain on Monday. I've done most of the PowerPoint presentation, and decided I needed a few pictures to show the class why it's so gorgeous. Guess who spent the last fifteen minutes just staring at pictures and wishing she were there again? Hopeless I tell ya, hopeless.

Kelsey
01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Use a rewards system. If you're obsessed with chocolate bars, buy yourself a chocolate bar, and tell yourself you can't have it until you've finished all that you need to finish. This won't work forevor, because it's easy to get bored with whatever you are rewarding yourself with, but it takes 21 days to break a habit, so use that as your focus, and break the habit. Good luck.

Miss_Swann17
01-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Don't get me started on procrastination....I kind of...'forgot' to do an essay once, not realising it was due in like..2days time? And so i sat there with my laptop and a bowl of noodles, thinking...'I haven't even read the book I must read this book...oh but Coronation Street is on, I'll do it after that.' After that I decided that making more noodles and looking up a recipe for vegetable stock was a better use of my time. Im procrastinating now, i should be making a poster thing, and making my friends birthday card. for tomorrow...

The best thing you can do is not go on the internet. Because if you're anything like me, you'll just check your emails, and then check them again...and look up random stuff....if you can help it, just stay away from the computer all together. I like the idea about the chocolate bars though. I never thought of that.

michael22
01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I cant help you as we speak I am procrastinating

mabye go murder somone then get back to work

deviljet88
02-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Convince yourself your arch-rival's mark will absolutely kill yours if you don't get a move on.

acliff
02-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Never ever ask me for advice.
Not only will you not get an answer until later, it is likely that it will be in the form of a pat on the back, congratulating you on doing the team proud.

Leonie
02-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Hmmm, I've just discovered that getting a good mark makes me hyper and all study-minded. Quite counterproductive cause really, it would be a lot better if I felt the need to study after a bad mark. Got my first essay of the year back. Let's study! :icon_bigg

marine
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Hmmm, I've just discovered that getting a good mark makes me hyper and all study-minded. Quite counterproductive cause really, it would be a lot better if I felt the need to study after a bad mark. Got my first essay of the year back. Let's study! :icon_bigg

so I assume that congratulations ,for a well done work (or at least a good grade), are in order ?

Bait
02-03-2006, 11:38 PM
procrastination is like masturbation...in the end you are only fucking yourself

i am trying extremely hard to break this habit. i had a report due 2 weeks ago and i havnt turned it in. i talked to my teacher and he said i could but i havnt done it. i dont know whats wrong with me i always have an excuse like doing other work thats due the next day and i justify that by saying its already late might as well do recent work so that isnt late too.

i'm turning it in tomorrow though hopefully he still remembers it :\

sometimes i'll stay up to 1 am thinking about doing homework and then i'll say alright i'll start but then i get this feeling of being really tired every time i try to start...and i go to bed and in the morning instead of thinking wow i'm fucked i just dont even care...and turn it in late and get points off and make my parents dissapointed in my grades :(

gracie
03-03-2006, 10:02 AM
speaking of procrastination. supposed to be carrying on with my art history final paper for my netherlandish masters class. anylizing setting, composition and the relationship between pannels in bosch's triptychs. which is about as fun to write about as it sounds. bah its 15 pages and im about 2/3ds done. course it is due in twelve hourse and im on no sleep. yay adderall.

Leonie
04-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Use a rewards system. If you're obsessed with chocolate bars, buy yourself a chocolate bar, and tell yourself you can't have it until you've finished all that you need to finish. This won't work forevor, because it's easy to get bored with whatever you are rewarding yourself with, but it takes 21 days to break a habit, so use that as your focus, and break the habit. Good luck.

Currently using the reward system. If I finish all the stuff I have to do for Monday's classes, I get to buy something for myself. I have a few things on my list that I'd like to have, but that are just a tad too expensive to buy just like that. Now let's hope I actually end up deserving them :)

So far, I've finished a dreadful essay in Spanish, something I've never had to do before. Still have to finish:
- analyse a poem for stylistics
- read 1 chapter for psychology
- do a chapter's exercises (Spanish)
- write out my speech for Spanish
- take part in a few dodgy experiments for psychology. (Edit: Done!)

Joy.

Kelsey
05-03-2006, 04:59 AM
Yay for the rewards system. Good luck to you, I hope you can get whatever it is you are going to buy yourself.

Jessie T
07-03-2006, 03:18 PM
procrastination is like masturbation...in the end you are only fucking yourself

i am trying extremely hard to break this habit. i had a report due 2 weeks ago and i havnt turned it in. i talked to my teacher and he said i could but i havnt done it. i dont know whats wrong with me i always have an excuse like doing other work thats due the next day and i justify that by saying its already late might as well do recent work so that isnt late too.

i'm turning it in tomorrow though hopefully he still remembers it :\

sometimes i'll stay up to 1 am thinking about doing homework and then i'll say alright i'll start but then i get this feeling of being really tired every time i try to start...and i go to bed and in the morning instead of thinking wow i'm fucked i just dont even care...and turn it in late and get points off and make my parents dissapointed in my grades :(

It's not THIS kind of procrastination they are talking about...

Ashley
08-03-2006, 03:44 AM

I'm weak and will just eat it anyway.
I just like sleep a lot so I say when I'm done I can sleep. And the fact that I nearly got put on probabtion for crappy grades helps too.... but I'm procrastinating right now... so that's not really going well.
On a note related to Mandy's saying from the t-shirt, there's a facebook (college computer thingie) group I saw that was "Procrastiators Annonymous (you can join later, it's ok, I understand). I laughed my ass off when I saw that one.
Anyway....

EDIT: I just found this and it is so true.
The Night Before Finals:
Twas the night before finals, and all through the college,
The students were praying for last minute knowledge.
Most were quite sleepy, but none touched their beds,
While visions of essays danced in their heads.
Out in the pub, a few were still drinking,
And hoping that liquor would loosen their thinking.
In my own room, I had been pacing,
And dreading exams I soon would be facing.
My roommate was speechless, his nose in his books,
And my comments to him drew unfriendly looks.
I drained all the coffee, and brewed a new pot,
No longer caring that my nerves were shot.
I stared at my notes, but my thoughts were muddy,
My eyes were a blur, I just couldn't study.
"Some pizza might help," I said with a shiver,
But each place I called refused to deliver.
I'd nearly concluded that life was too cruel,
With futures depending on grades had in school.
When all of a sudden, our door opened wide,
And Patron Saint Put It Off ambled inside.
His spirit was careless, his manner was mellow,
He looked down at me, and started to bellow:
"What kind of student would make such a fuss,
To toss back at professors what they tossed at us?"
"On Cliff Notes! On Crib Notes! On Last Year's Exams!
On Wingit and Slingit, and last minute crams!"
His message delivered, he vanished from sight,
But we heard him laughing outside in the night.
"Your professors have screwed you, so just do your best,
Happy Finals to All, And to All, a Good Test!"
-???

Leonie
29-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Last of the midterms tomorrow and the day after. I have a 300 pages, 9 chapters-covering midterm for psychology tomorrow. It's more like biology in a way, which helps, cause I took that in high school. Then on Friday, there is hell. Linguistics midterms made by teachers who hate your guts and will try to get you to fail at any possible occassion really aren't much fun. Be good if I'd started studying already.

So far, I've done a few chapters of the Psychology (did nothing during the midterm break last week, did nothing yesterday, did nothing on Monday even though I didn't go to any classes), got the main facts stored in my brain. It helps that I've read roughly half the chapters before already.

As for linguistics, I've read almost all of the chapter the test is on, but I haven't really started revising yet. Oh dear.

once_dreaded
29-03-2006, 10:04 PM
<~~~ procrastinator.

I HATE doing reports/research papers so I always leave those until last minute. I have a AWESOME GPA in college even though I write my papers the night before they're due and stumble into class all bleary-eyed. I've had really cool teachers that have enjoyed my integrating humor into my essays. I will confess that I once copy/pasted different parts of papers together to create a Psychology research paper...I got a B+ on the paper and an A+ for my presentation...yay for being Bi-polar and doing a research paper on Bi-polar's link to creativity.

Heck_yeah
29-03-2006, 11:00 PM
im deff. a procrastinator

i think that some ppl work better under pressure when they hold things off i do. an i dont see a diffrence in something i do in 30 mins the a project i do in 2 days. 2 days gives me more time to find errors and i'll drivee myself crazy changing things. see i leave my self no time to do that

but in your case the reward system might work