PDA

View Full Version : Classes You've Dropped

Richard
01-03-2006, 02:12 AM
What classes in school have you dropped and why?

ryan
01-03-2006, 02:40 AM
none.

Jacoby
01-03-2006, 02:47 AM
Astronomy.

First Day of Class...
Professor: "This isn't an easy course... you better have a background in Physics."
Me: "Bye..."

Richard
01-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Astronomy.

First Day of Class...
Professor: "This isn't an easy course... you better have a background in Physics."
Me: "Bye..."

The purpose of this thread was because I dropped Astronomy not more than an hour ago. :icon_surp

Jacoby
01-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Haha, yeah, I thought I'd take it because stars are pretty and I am stupid. But then someone told me it's one of the hardest science courses at the school...

Richard
01-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Haha, yeah, I thought I'd take it because stars are pretty and I am stupid. But then someone told me it's one of the hardest science courses at the school...

I had to find out the hard way. The class was called Elementary Astronomy but somehow I was convinced at the time of enrollment that elementary meant elementary level, when in fact it's an introductory course. My professor didn't say anything about needing background to advance in the class either. The first day he jumped straight into the book covering three chapters and tonight there is a 3-4 page essay exam on the material covered. No notes. I panicked, so I dropped.

I think Astronomy is interesting, important too, but I can't possibly learn anything from that man's lectures.

Jacoby
01-03-2006, 03:23 AM
My professor was extremely nerdy and quiet, so I already didn't like the class. And it was a night class, since we'd go out and look at the stars and shiz, i 'spose. Which hella conflicted with my schedule. Hella. And also all the other reasons I mentioned before.

michael22
01-03-2006, 03:40 AM
none I find myself passing even when trying to fail

I am a failure

Kelsey
01-03-2006, 04:08 AM
I dropped a french class my senior year to take pre-cal as a last ditch effort to get into my dream school. I seriously should have stuck with French.

Liam
01-03-2006, 04:27 AM
I dropped Partial Differential Equations cause I foolishly assumed my scientifically geared mind would get me through despite not having completed one of the 3 prerequisite courses. Oops.

Also dropped a philosophy course back in first year cause it was fucking boring and wasn't going to teach me anything.

deviljet88
01-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Latin after year 9: Couldn't be screwed remembering every single declension, conjugation, grammatical bulldust, etc. And it's a dead language. All I need to know is how to call someone a donkey (Asinus es!)

Every other subject I've dropped was due to not being able to fit them into a 7 subject timetable. All I've got left is Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Double Maths, English and Ethics.

Ashley
01-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I was ignorant and dropped Abnormal psych the last day of classes, which really that just amounted to me not taking the final because I failed. I dropped because I never went to class and slept in instead... Don't do that. I've learned my lesson. 4.0 GPA last semester!

Leonie
01-03-2006, 07:55 AM
I dropped Latin in high school because the bloke teaching us wasn't qualified to, and it showed. The real teacher, who was about 80, had died over the summer, so they got him to teach us. If first time Latin students have to correct you, you aren't fit to teach.

I also dropped mathsb2 in high school, which is supposed to be the hardest maths course they have. It would have helped had the teacher actually taught us. I ended up quitting that class and swapping to biology half way through the year. I figured catching up to biology (i.e. doing a whole book on my own) would be easier than staying in that stupid, demotivating maths class any longer.

I'm happy to say I passed Maths100 at uni :)

ryan
01-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I dropped Partial Differential Equations cause I foolishly assumed my scientifically geared mind would get me through despite not having completed one of the 3 prerequisite courses. Oops.

Also dropped a philosophy course back in first year cause it was fucking boring and wasn't going to teach me anything.

differential equations are fun

Liam
01-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes, first and second year ones are. Got distinctions for those courses.

3rd year ones are an entirely different kettle of fish, trust me.

hasselbrad
01-03-2006, 01:10 PM
In seventh grade (yes, long before most of you were born) I dropped Algebra 1. Actually, I didn't drop it as much as it dropped me. I made a -54 on the first test and the teacher decided that I lacked the math skills to dig my way out of that hole. And yes, you are reading that correctly. A negative 54. It was some sort of contrived scoring system that included extra credit, but it wasn't really extra since it counted against you. :err:
In college, I dropped a computer class, Greek mythology class and an African-American Literature class. Much like Jake's Astronomy professor, the professor made it clear that if you were white, you wouldn't pass the class. Not in so many words, but during the second class he lit up a white kid for asking a question about dialect differences with an answer that had more to do with the white kid's suburban upbringing and lack of experience being discriminated against than it did with differences in dialect.
Then, I dropped two semesters (not classes...entire semesters) in a row, and that was pretty much the end of my college experience.

EmotionSickness
01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Microbiology and a sociology class focusing on social problems, because one was boring and I don't care about social problems.

Ohh, and I dropped a philosophy class last semester because it was a gross waste of time.

ryan
01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Yes, first and second year ones are. Got distinctions for those courses.

3rd year ones are an entirely different kettle of fish, trust me.

i've a minor in math, liam. i've taken it all :P

gracie
02-03-2006, 01:11 AM
an easy biology course. something like global energy systems...yeah. i wanted this upper level audio production course so i banked on it and skipped the bio. luckily it worked out. french 204. i had failed it the previous semester and decided to take time off before tackling it again. dropped it second week. observational drawing- 830 am. take two on that next term- hope i can wake up for it. An art hisory class freshman year of college- Ritual and Rhetoric in Ancient Chinese Funerary Art. too specific when i hadnt officially declared art history as my major- took modern european history instead- wicked easy and boring. Missed out on a great art history class, so Ill come back to it next year when its offered again.

Liam
02-03-2006, 04:19 AM
i've a minor in math, liam. i've taken it all :P

And I have a major in it, so I know what I'm talking about.

ryan
02-03-2006, 11:58 AM
And I have a major in it, so I know what I'm talking about.

but you didn't have one of the prereq's for a partial DE class? :icon_conf

Liam
02-03-2006, 05:09 PM
No...my uni only offers it in even years and I had spent the last even year overseas, so I missed it. Not a big deal, I'll take the prerequisite later this year and do partial DE next year.

Scott
03-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I dropped maths, purely because I was hopeless at it. I know all the fundamental stuff, but anything beyond that will only get you a blank stare.

DragonRat
03-03-2006, 06:18 AM
I dropped my Later Wittgenstein class. It would've been a treat to hear my professor talk about the meaning of words, but I had to make time for other stuff (like lazing around).

Rob The BLack Douglas
04-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I've dropped various math courses because the teacher's obviously should not of been teaching. Funny thing ,I use myliberal arts degree alot as a cook.

once_dreaded
30-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I should've dropped my economics class 1st semester of college but didn't...received an F, had to make it up this past semester using a telecourse, frickin hard as hell to learn econ from a book cuz the "tele" part of the course had NOTHING to do with what the professor was quizzing you on.

I've dropped an English Comp class for business memo writing...not my bag, baby. Ummm....I don't think I've dropped anything else. I helped my friends last semester in Marine Bio, cuz I kick ass, our professor couldn't teach worth a damn & kept contradicting info she was giving the class. My table all scored As because I'm such a Marine Bio smarty and taught Liz & Travis the course LOL.

KaBeth
30-03-2006, 06:58 PM
I dropped Anatomy and Physiology the first time I took it because I changed majors didn't need it so I thought I'll drop it. Now that I'm a nursing major and need the class it doesn't look to good on my transcript that I dropped it earlier but oh well.

DefyingGravity
30-03-2006, 07:37 PM
AP American History-I basically dropped it so I wouldn't fail, because I had an F in it, and I was also taking another class at the time that counted as a history credit.
AP Senior English-This was kind of necessary for me to drop. I couldn't do the summer reading because I was new to the school, and wasn't there for the summer. So I had to do the summer reading during the fall semester(AP Senior English was in the spring), but during the fall semester I was taking a really difficult class(don't get me wrong, it was an amazing course) that required a lot of essays, so I couldn't catch up with the English reading.

Arbery
30-03-2006, 07:42 PM
i dropped out of my second year of 6th cause it was rubbesh! Bummed about for a year and then went to music college and am now in my last year...so all was not lost! :)