PDA

View Full Version : Youth’s Death Linked to Game

Flightfreak
21-11-2005, 04:25 PM
deleted

Asudai
21-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Well if the kid thought he could fly i'm gonna have to blame the parents...

when I was about 5 my parents had "The Talk" with me. They sat me down and explained to me that no I cannot fly...

Seriously though, the game seems like the smallest factor here, if you don't have common sense then that can't be blamed on a video game. I hate how because he "jumped to his death while reenacting a scene from the game" it's the games fault, and has something to do with his addiction to the it. He could have watched a movie, and tried something just as stupid.

Bottom Line, if he can't distinguish Fantasy from Reality, then either his parents screwed up somewhere, or he has some kind of disability, in which case I would still think the fault lies on the parents for not monitoring him enough.

hasselbrad
21-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Parents. Period.
While I wish makers of movies, music and video games would exercise a little responsibility when it comes to the garbage they put out, ultimately the responsibility lies with the parents. If a child's reality is skewed to the point where they cannot discern reality from fantasy, the parents have failed miserably. All too often, television and/or video games serve as a babysitter for children whose parents lack the skills and/or common sense to be raising a child in the first place.
As far as the software maker's responsibility to warn parents that the game is addictive, I disagree. It's not a company's job to do the parenting.
Nor is it the government's.

Digital_Ice
21-11-2005, 05:47 PM
what a load of bollocks, its like the twats in the army, sueing the government because they got shot at.... what pricks.

why has someone allways got to be blamed. argh..

I shall leave you, before i start ranting, with the words of genius from mr hicks (refering to drugs.. but it applies pretty well anyway)

What a dick, fuck him! He's an idiot. If he thought he could fly, why didn't he take off from the ground first? Check it out. You don't see ducks lining up to catch elevators to fly South. They fly from the ground, you moron. Quit ruining it for everybody. He's a moron, he's dead, good. We lost a moron, fucking celebrate. Boy I just felt the world get lighter - we lost a moron. Put on the Hammer album, I'm ready to dance! [dances] "We lost a moron." I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out. Professional help is being sought.

Jacoby
21-11-2005, 11:01 PM
SUE BLIZZARD AND ALL OTHER VIDEOGAME COMPANIES! THEY'RE TO BLAME! WE MUST BAN ALL VIDEOGAMING FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC TO ENSURE THE SAFETY AND REPUBLICANESS OF ALL HUE-MANS.

BAN VIDEOGAMES FOREVER!

I can't say much, because I recreate mario kart actions whilst i drive. Well, I don't really do anything dangerous, it's just idiotic becuase it makes me look like a child. I wouldn't jump to my death, though, to recreate a scene. That's slightly retarded.

Bait
21-11-2005, 11:58 PM
darwin award candidate? fucking idiot i'm glad he's dead. If someone is that stupid they couldn't possibly contribute to society in a positive way anyways, making them useless. The parents are about 50% to blame for giving the child shitty genes to work with and possibly being retarded but in the end it was the child's choice to do it.

deviljet88
22-11-2005, 02:44 AM
He was from Tianjin, what'd you expect.

DragonRat
22-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Humans never want to hear (nor say) it's their fault, so they demonize the closest entity - whether it's Marilyn Manson or Everquest. I would hold the parents responsible: a 13-year-old should have some common sense, enough not to defenestrate oneself in vivid fantasy. And where does he learn that common sense? Guess. Certainly not from television.

Liam
22-11-2005, 04:27 AM
I guess he was willing to sit through 10 minutes of resurrection sickness and cop the durability decrease.

Tool.

Scott
22-11-2005, 09:17 AM
LOL @ Liam.

Almost fell off my chair

hasselbrad
22-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I can't say much, because I recreate mario kart actions whilst i drive. Well, I don't really do anything dangerous, it's just idiotic becuase it makes me look like a child. I wouldn't jump to my death, though, to recreate a scene. That's slightly retarded.

Hey...who among us hasn't uttered the phrase "I saw this in a cartoon once...I think I can do it!" (Or in you're case, a videogame)

Foeni
22-11-2005, 02:53 PM
If he's stupid enough to do something like that, he deserves to die. Well actually he's parents deserve to die. They didn't teach the kid that he couldn't fly.

marine
22-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Thing is at 13 you should know enough not to jump, unless you actually want to die.
Now are the parents to blame? I don't know, my brother spends a lot of time on the net for his school and playing games: I'm pretty sure it would never come to his idea to take a sword and kill somebody.
That's why it's kind of difficult to blame it on the compagny since there are millions of people who actually make a difference between what they're playing at and reality.
I guess the parents might have been able to do something to prevent it, have they known to what extent these games affected their son.

hasselbrad
22-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Thing is at 13 you should know enough not to jump, unless you actually want to die.
Now are the parents to blame? I don't know, my brother spends a lot of time on the net for his school and playing games: I'm pretty sure it would never come to his idea to take a sword and kill somebody.
That's why it's kind of difficult to blame it on the compagny since there are millions of people who actually make a difference between what they're playing at and reality.
I guess the parents might have been able to do something to prevent it, have they known to what extent these games affected their son.

The fact that, at 13 years of age, their child didn't understand the consequences of his actions, points to a real lack of parental involvement. As is almost always the case, when a kid dies because of a stupid stunt or is influenced to off themselves because of a song or movie, investigation leads to the discovery that the child spent inordinate amounts of time in front of TV and or videogames.

Jacoby
22-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey...who among us hasn't uttered the phrase "I saw this in a cartoon once...I think I can do it!" (Or in you're case, a videogame)

The only thing I remember mimicking were a few Mortal Kombat moves and maybe a Triple jump or two. I thought it was fun to watch Wile E. Coyote fall off cliffs but I was never stupid enough to jump from a great height because of it. So for this case I'm going to blame...German people. This is Germany's fault.

Digital_Ice
22-11-2005, 08:07 PM
heehee...

http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~bbrown1/roadrunner/5.gif

meep meep