PDA

View Full Version : Racial slurs, innuendo and comic timing

acliff
12-11-2005, 12:02 AM
In a recent trawl through what the internet had to offer, I stumbled across this thread on an inconsequential film board where the members were discussing British humour. The general tone was that most of the Americans participating in the discussion didn't understand British humour, and said every American comedian was better. Except Monty Python. The more I was reading, the more I was losing faith in the human race. Partially because I don't trust opinions on comedy by people who aren't funny themselves. Much in the same way I'd trust a good cook on the taste of food. These people were not funny. One particularly immature redneck was trying to be funny, shitting all over the British comedy heritage and saying how his favourite comedians were the ones 'who did racist jokes'.

Anyway, make this a discussion of comedians, comedy films, sketch shows, comedy TV series, and the like. Only the funny need apply.

Jimmy Carr, Bill Bailey, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, Steve Coogan come to mind.

duckula
12-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Bill Hicks. Dude was funny, then he died of cancer.

Bill Watterson. Genius, then he gave up like a pussy bitch.

Pretty much anyone called Bill really.

deviljet88
12-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Chris Tucker, Umbilical Brothers, Dave Hughes.

Digital_Ice
12-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Bill Hicks, Comic Fucking Genius.

Richard
12-11-2005, 02:39 AM
I don't really know much comedians, but I like the Marx Brothers and Red Skelton.

Jacoby
12-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Comedy is comedy. There are good comedians from America and there are good comedians from the British scene. There are also shit comedians from both.

The three comedians that come to mind are Mitch Hedburg, Dane Cook, and Jim Gaffigan. I always liked their delivery and style and all that. I always hear small bits from comedians and I can remember their name, just their jokes. I need comedy central back.

hasselbrad
14-11-2005, 01:28 PM
As a very enthusiastic fan of comedy, I feel it is my duty to apologize for the phrase "Git'r done". Really. I'm truly sorry. Please understand that this is not the depth of American comedy.
Bill Hicks was a genius.
As was Lenny Bruce.
Dave Atell, Lewis Black, Eddie Izzard, Patton Oswalt, Jim Norton, Greg Giraldo and Nick DiPaolo are some of my favorite stand-up comedians.
For sketch comedy, it's hard to beat SNL from the 1970s.
For the most part, I think Americans have a hard time with British comedy due to the cultural references. I'll be honest, some things Eddie Izzard says go right over my head, but then so does a lot of what Lenny Bruce said because it was specific to the era in which he lived.