PDA

View Full Version : End of the Box-Office Dry Spell?

Kelsey
09-11-2005, 07:31 PM
I was rather pleased when the site I set as my home page (www.scriptsales.com) popped up today. Unlike most days where I see that the latest Hollywood scripts sold are video game/book/article adaptations, the list of scripts sold today seem to have taken a turn and actually look interesting - like studio execs are actually *reading* the scripts before they shell out two mill.
Because this forum knows how to have an interesting conversation about films, I thought I'd post a few of the interesting ones that we may be able to look forward to in the next 12-15 months. I've added my personal comments in CAPS.

Title: Cockblockers
Log line: A new couple has but one problem, the woman's ex-boyfriend keeps blocking the advances of her new beau.
Writer: Greg Coolidge
Agent: Emile Gladstone of Broder Webb Chervin Silbermann Agency, mngr. Walter Hamada of H2F Entertainment, and atty. Karl Austen of Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum & Morris
Buyer: Paramount Pictures
Price: $1.2 million against $1.8 million
Genre: Comedy
Logged: 11/4/05
More: To be based on a pitch from idea by Greg Coolidge and Walter Hamada. Topher Grace, Michael De Luca, Identity Films' Seann William Scott & Graham Larson and H2F's Walter Hamada & Chris Fenton will produce. Scott and Grace will also star.
NOTE: GLAD TO SEE TOPHER PICK SOMETHING UP. I WAS QUESTIONING A BIT WHEN HE LEFT THAT 70S SHOW WITH *NOTHING* TO DO.

Title: Butterfly on a Wheel
Log line: A happy couple with the perfect life is torn apart when their daughter is abducted. Over the course of a day, the kidnapper dismantles the family's lives with brutal efficiency.
Writer: William Morrissey
Agent: Brian Kend of CAA
Buyer: Icon, Irish DreamTime and Infinity Feature Canada
Price: n/a
Genre: Thriller
Logged: 11/4/05
More: Icon, Irish DreamTime and Infinity Feature Canada will produce. Mike Barker will direct. Pierce Brosnan will star.
NOTE: GOOD THRILLERS ARE PRETTY HARD TO FIND THESE DAYS...SINCE THIS IS WHAT HE TRADED BOND IN FOR, LET'S HOPE PIERCE KNOWS ONE WHEN HE SEES IT.

Title: Unaccompanied Minors
Log line: A young girl is snowed in at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport the day after Christmas, and is stranded with other kids from divorced families who spent the holidays flying from one parent to the other. The kids end up bonding and create a makeshift holiday for one another.
Writer: Paul Feig
Agent: Alan Blanchard of William Morris Agency
Buyer: Warner Bros. Pictures
Genre: Drama
Logged: 11/8/05
More: Polish deal. Based on a Jan. 6, 2001 Susan Burton radio essay on "This American Life." Maya Stark and Jacob Meszaroswere were the original writers on the project. Kate Kondell wrote the most recent draft. Michael Aguilar and The Donner Co.’s Lauren Shuler Donner will produce. Ira Glass and Julie Snyder will executive produce. Feig will also direct. Rights to essay were acquired in December 2003.
NOTE: I GET TEARY EYED JUST THINKING OF THE HOLIDAY BOX OFFICE POTENTIAL THIS FAMILY FILM CAN HAVE.

Title: SantaKid
Log line: The 10-year-old daughter of the billionaire who's acquired ownership of Santa Claus, decides, after receiving an imperfect doll as a gift, to save Santa and make Christmas more perfect.
Writer: Seth Bass and Jonathan Tolins
Agent: Alan Gasmer of William Morris Agency and mngr. Jeff Field of Field Entertainment
Buyer: New Line Cinema
Genre: Family Comedy
More: Based on James Patterson's children's book. David Kirschner and Corey Sienega will produce.

Title: Schooled
Log line: A high school movie told from the point of the teachers, who have their own friendships, love lives and cliques.
Writer: Walt Becker and David Gallagher
Agent: Nicole Clemens of ICM, mngr. Matt Luber of Nine Yards Entertainment, and atty. Warren Dern of Sloane, Offer, Weber and Dern (Becker)
Buyer: Touchstone Pictures
Logged: 11/9/05
More: Tapestry Films’ Peter Abrams, Robert Levy & Andrew Panay and Dark Trick Films’ Ryan Reynolds & Jonathon Komack Martin will produce. Becker will also direct.

Title: Amnesia
Log line: The loneliest man in America devises a plan to persuade an amnesia patient that they've always been best friends.
Writer: Jason Mantzoukas and Brian Huskey
Agent: Hannah Roth of Don Buchwald & Assoc. (Mantzoukas)
Logged: 11/9/05
More: Pitch. American Work’s Scot Armstrong and Radar Pictures’ Joe Rosenberg & Ted Field will produce.
NOTE: THIS ONE MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD. I'M HOPING FOR ANOTHER OWEN/VAUGHN TEAM HERE.

There are more, but I won't drown you in them. If people seem to be interested, I'll add as I see them.

hasselbrad
09-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Good to see you aren't being smoked out.

Title: Unaccompanied Minors
Log line: A young girl is snowed in at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport the day after Christmas, and is stranded with other kids from divorced families who spent the holidays flying from one parent to the other. The kids end up bonding and create a makeshift holiday for one another.
Writer: Paul Feig
Agent: Alan Blanchard of William Morris Agency
Buyer: Warner Bros. Pictures
Genre: Drama
More: Polish deal. Based on a Jan. 6, 2001 Susan Burton radio essay on "This American Life." Maya Stark and Jacob Meszaroswere were the original writers on the project. Kate Kondell wrote the most recent draft. Michael Aguilar and The Donner Co.’s Lauren Shuler Donner will produce. Ira Glass and Julie Snyder will executive produce. Feig will also direct. Rights to essay were acquired in December 2003.
NOTE: I GET TEARY EYED JUST THINKING OF THE HOLIDAY BOX OFFICE POTENTIAL THIS FAMILY FILM CAN HAVE.

Gulp. This one hits home. Taylor flies as an unaccompanied minor a lot.

Kelsey
11-11-2005, 05:08 PM
I think this could have a really nice Polar Express feel to it (though it better not be animated).

Liam
11-11-2005, 08:27 PM
What the fuck sort of name is Topher? It sounds like some sort of cheap Middle-Eastern confectionary.

Kelsey
11-11-2005, 09:55 PM
What the fuck sort of name is Topher? It sounds like some sort of cheap Middle-Eastern confectionary.

It's a name. What the fuck kind of name is Liam? What the fuck kind of name is Kelsey? Good for him for choosing to be different, I say.

Liam
11-11-2005, 10:32 PM
He chose Topher? Did he have a choice between that and Indiana Jones or something?

deviljet88
11-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Doesn't sound as pompous as Christopher I guess.

Mags
12-11-2005, 07:28 AM
His name is Christopher Grace. He goes by Topher. Because he's weird. And needed something to distinguish him from the guys who are cuter than him and can act better.

Kelsey
12-11-2005, 11:42 AM
This thread is not meant to be a personal attack, so let's refrain from making it one please.

Kelsey
12-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Here's another interesting script sale. I'm sure a lot of you know Amy Poehler from SNL/Mean Girls fame. Isla Fisher is the crazy one from Wedding Crashers.

Title: Groupies
Log Line: Set in the world of rock groupies.
Writer: Erica Rivinoja
Agent: Matt Rice of UTA
Logged: 11/11/05
More: Pitch based on an idea from Amy Poehler and Isla Fisher. John Goldwyn and Broadway Video's Lorne Michaels & Jill Messick will produce. Amy Poehler and Isla Fisher will executive produce. Poehler and Fisher will star.

Ashley
12-11-2005, 07:49 PM
His name is Christopher Grace. He goes by Topher. Because he's weird. And needed something to distinguish him from the guys who are cuter than him and can act better.

Sorry I can't agree on this one, but I think he's adorable.

And I like Topher as a nick name for Christopher

Kelsey
12-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I like Topher too Ashley.

First Shia and now Topher...we agree on a lot of things when it comes to actors, eh?

Liam
12-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Its not a personal attack if he isnt here to read it.

duckula
12-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Now, now children. Let's keep this civil and on topic. Can we all manage that?

acliff
13-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Francis is a girls name.

duckula
13-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Cliff is a homo's name. Gayboy.

Kelsey
13-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Ugh....never mind.