PDA

View Full Version : Advice Desperately Needed!!!

Kelsey
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
First off, can anyone speak French and tell me how to say the following:
"Trust me, I know it's not my house."
"I've been watching it for twenty minutes, you just walked in. Therefore the show stays in English."
"I'm not your personal slave."

I'm having serious problems with one of the little girls I am living with. I'm fine doing the occasional babysitting, the occasional group activity with the girls, etc. But I have no idea how to handle the middle, and most confident one. First off, let me explain, these girls are absolutely spoiled. They don't brush their own hair, they don't clear their dinner plate, they sit around all day watching TV. Their nanny does everything for them. The little girl is seven, and very bossy and self confident. She hands me her trash or anything else she wants me to hold on to randomly, and when I try to give it back to her, she firmly tells me "no." (This is my first problem, as I was always taught to treat your elders with respect, the idea of a seven year old telling me "no" really upsets me.)

Maybe this is a dumb problem, but I feel like as basic as it is, it's a big deal. I'll be in the living room watching That 70s Show while the girls are off beating up on the two year old, or hitting each other with balloons or something. Now, I never watch TV on their television except for the this show. I let them watch all their little shows that add nothing valuable to the mind all day. I brought DVDs with me and when they turn those on, I don't mind if they're in French. Hey, I'm here to learn French right? So I'll be watching the show in English for nearly the entire episode. Then Paloma traipses in, orders me to put the show in French, then stands threateningly over the power button if I don't agree. Then she'll inform me that it's not my house. "Trust me darling, there's no one who reminds me more of that than you." Her older sister is really sweet and if I've been watching it in English, she is perfectly content reading the French subtitles.

For Christmas, I asked my friend on the show to get me signed pictures for each of them, but because this is really pissing me off, I'm thinking of getting the 7 year old something else. I know this will upset her because she really likes the show, but when I can't communicate with her, my first instinct is to fight immaturity with immaturity.

I've resorted to posting this problem on a parents board too (lol, I just want to get rid of this problem quickly, otherwise it's going to be a loooonng year), but I'd like to hear what people have to say. Please don't tell me that you hate kids, or that I should knock them around or something, without giving a serious suggestion too.

Ashley
10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Je sais n'est pas chez moi. Maybe something close to I know it's not my house.
J'ai regarde pour vingt minute, il loge en Anglais... That nearly sounds right... the j'ai regarde is past tense, so that part is wrong, but I'd say close enough.
Je ne suis pas ta esclave.

Now, if I'm wrong, which I probably am, I'd just like to put a disclaimer stating that I'm only on level 4 french and not good at it at all. I'd know what you were saying though.

And as for what should you do. If the little one hands you something, put it down. Don't let them boss you around. That's not what you'e there for. It's like having a little brother, sister, or ever a neice or nephew. Just be firm and lay it down that although it's not your house you are older and for the time being it is partly your house, and if you're in a room doing something common courtesy says that you control that room.

hasselbrad
10-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like she is a grade A, spoiled little brat. Do her parents not see this behavior, or do they just not care? My grandmother used to care for three little brats years ago. She managed to get them to eat, stop shitting their pants and go to sleep at a reasonable hour by exercising authority (which their idiot mother was incapable of doing) but it doesn't sound like you are in a position of authority with these kids.
The only thing I could see to do is enlist the older daughter's help in dealing with Paloma. Maybe if she intervened on your behalf, the mother could lay down some sort of law to her. Otherwise, you could duct tape her to some furniture under the guise of it being an "American Game". ;)

Kelsey
10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
You asked whether her parents see her behavior... Just tonight we were discussing how their nanny had kind of complained about them always beating up on each other, and their mother said this: "If I wanted my kids to be organized and clean up after themselves, then she wouldn't have a job."

Thanks Ashley for the french, and both of you for the advice. I'll be using your suggestions. Keep them coming!

hasselbrad
10-10-2005, 08:35 PM
You asked whether her parents see her behavior... Just tonight we were discussing how their nanny had kind of complained about them always beating up on each other, and their mother said this: "If I wanted my kids to be organized and clean up after themselves, then she wouldn't have a job."

Thanks Ashley for the french, and both of you for the advice. I'll be using your suggestions. Keep them coming!

Wow. Just fucking wow. I hope these people are really loaded, because that kid is in for a rude awakening.

Ranman
11-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Wow, impressive Julie

Translate this for me

I'm glad your cat is dead, And If you bother me again
I'm gonna stick my foot in your arse

deviljet88
11-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Do something suprising that impresses them greatly. Boasting about connections and getting them the signed 70's cast member photo might be a good one.

Kelsey
11-10-2005, 08:19 PM
That doesn't get me to watch the show in English. I haven't even bothered telling them I know her. I have, however, made Halloween cookies and Kool-Aid with them.

hasselbrad
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
That doesn't get me to watch the show in English. I haven't even bothered telling them I know her. I have, however, made Halloween cookies and Kool-Aid with them.

Spike the Kool-Aid with liquid Benadryl. Out like a fuckin' light. :D
Then you and the other two can work her over with a Sharpie like they did Large in Garden State.