PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Albums

DragonRat
10-10-2005, 05:40 AM
It's like I'm Jack Black, and you're John Cusack, and we're in a Nick Hornsby novel. In alphabetical order, mine are...

Beatles - White Album
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Pinback - Pinback
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

Honorable Mentions: Either/Or (Elliott Smith); Grace (Jeff Buckley); Blue Album (Weezer)

deviljet88
10-10-2005, 06:58 AM
One from each band for me...

Muse - Absolution
Radiohead - The Bends
NIN - With Teeth
Audioslave - Audioslave
Coldplay - Rush of Blood

Scott
10-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Brides of Destruction - Here Come The Brides
Murderdolls - Beyond The Valley Of The Murderdolls
Disturbed - The Sickness
Metallica - Ride The Lightning

DefyingGravity
10-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon (I've heard wonderful things about Blue, but sadly, I haven't gotten it yet.)
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
The Who - Who's Next
Almost anything Bob Dylan (I couldn't pick just one, sorry.)
Songs for a New World - Jason Robert Brown (It's a lesser-known musical.)

hasselbrad
10-10-2005, 01:25 PM
The Beatles...Revolver
The Who...Who's Next
The Violent Femmes...The Violent Femmes
The Beastie Boys...Paul's Boutique
Run DMC...Tougher Than Leather

Ashley
10-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Songs for a New World - Jason Robert Brown (It's a lesser-known musical.)

I had Steam Train stuck in my head for months after helping on a production of that.

no particular order.... and as always I'm sure I'll change my mind.

Garden State soundtrack... does that count?
Coldplay - Rush of Blood
Dave Matthews Band - Crash... or Under the Table and Dreaming. I can't make up my mind.
David Gray - White Ladder
U2- The Joshua Tree

Kelsey
10-10-2005, 06:20 PM
The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks
The Best of Andrew Lloyd Webber
Avril Lavigne - Let Go
Spice World - Spice
Garden State Soundtrack

I sound like a gay man. My fave is definatly Rolling Stones though.

Liam
10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Slayer - Reign in Blood

and 5th is either:
Rammstein - Reise, Reise
Opeth - Damnation

Jacoby
10-10-2005, 08:02 PM
No order:

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Neutral Milk Hotel - Aeroplane Over the Sea
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Vertigo
11-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Libertines - Up The Bracket
The Strokes - Is This It
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Nirvana - In Utero

Digital_Ice
11-10-2005, 02:47 AM
erm

The Bluetones - Luxembourg
The Bluetones - The Singles
Coldplay - X&Y
Greenday - Dookie
Muse - Absolution

or something like that
no particular order

tha_saint_83
11-10-2005, 05:34 PM
1. Our Lady Peace-Clumsy
2. The Offspring-Ixnay on the hombre
3. Misfits-famous monsters
4.MXPX-Ten years and running
5. Lords of Dogtown-Soundtrack:fencing:

tha_saint_83
11-10-2005, 05:41 PM
1. Misfits-Famous monsters
2. The Offspring-Ixnay on the hombre
3. Rancid-Lets go
4. The Ramones punk cover-Various artists
5. SLC Punk-Soundtrack

chewwie
11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
1) Five for Fighting - American Town
2) Counting Crows - Hard Candy
3) The Calling - Calmino Palmero (or sumit)
4) Queen - greatest hits (3CD)
5) Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy

Ok thats cheating that 6 - but hey! :)

Hazzle
11-10-2005, 06:50 PM
The Beatles: Revolver
Metallica: Black
Nirvana: In Utero
Green Day: Dookie
Radiohead: The Bends

Some of you seriously need to be shot in the face...

Richard
11-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Do greatest hits or compilations count? I've never been much for buying albums... or are they the same thing? :icon_conf

1. The Beatles - Help!
2. My Fair Lady (Broadway Cast) Soundtrack
3. The Buddy Holly Collection
4. Elvis 1

I can't think of anymore. I should be shot in the face...

Hazzle
11-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I can't think of anymore. I should be shot in the face...

Heh. I wasn't referring to you...by comparison your choices aren't too bad...

Kelsey
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
It was probably my Avril Lavigne and Spice Girls, lol. But I felt funny posting only Andrew Lloyd Webber, Burt Bacharach, and the Annie soundtrack....

Ranman
11-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Black Sabbath .......Paranoid
Pink Floyd ........Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd ..........Wish you were here
The Who .........Who's next
Led Zeppelin .......Physical Graffiti
The Rolling Stones..... Hot Rocks

Hazzle
11-10-2005, 08:36 PM
It was probably my Avril Lavigne and Spice Girls, lol. But I felt funny posting only Andrew Lloyd Webber, Burt Bacharach, and the Annie soundtrack....

Actually there were worse...well...one:

3) The Calling - Calmino Palmero (or sumit)

Oww, my poor ears. My sister blares that crappy album out and I LOATHE it. It makes the two you mentioned sound decent by comparison. At least The Spice Girls were a marketting phenomenon (even if they were no-talent crap) and Avril's not that bad...

Ran that's 6. Would people please stop cheating? :p

chewwie
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
AHHH! That is a great album! But thats my chilled out selection! I DJ so love all kinds - chemical bros, prodigy, all rock, dr dre etc...

hasselbrad
11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Actually there were worse...well...one:

Oww, my poor ears. My sister blares that crappy album out and I LOATHE it. It makes the two you mentioned sound decent by comparison. At least The Spice Girls were a marketting phenomenon (even if they were no-talent crap) and Avril's not that bad...

Ran that's 6. Would people please stop cheating? :p

He can't count. ***shakes head*** But he does have pretty good taste in music. On another board I whore up someone did one of these for "Top 5 Artists" which was muy difficulto to do too.

ryan
12-10-2005, 04:46 AM
death cab for cutie - transatlanticism

each song is pure genius. brillance, i tell you.

Hazzle
12-10-2005, 05:45 AM
That's 4 short Ryan. Are you donating them to Ran and the other cheaters? :p

Renegade
12-10-2005, 06:06 AM
The Beatles- 1
Death Cab for Cutie- Transatlanticism
The Postal Service- Give Up
Jack's Mannequin- Everything in Transit
Damien Rice- O

chewwie
12-10-2005, 07:14 AM
He can't count. ***shakes head*** But he does have pretty good taste in music. On another board I whore up someone did one of these for "Top 5 Artists" which was muy difficulto to do too.

Thankyou!!! :)

hasselbrad
12-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I sound like a gay man. My fave is definatly Rolling Stones though.

Kelsey?!?!
http://www.forumspile.com/ASL-Tranvestite.jpg

:icon_rofl

deviljet88
12-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Fuck, disturbing, someone, delete, it!

chewwie
12-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Ahhh! my eyes - it burns my eyes!

Hazzle
12-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Thankyou!!! :)

I think he was referring to the same "he" as me. As in Ran. I could be wrong but I doubt The Calling are Brad's cup of tea. He's a man of discernment...

...although if that's his taste in sexual partners I might need to review that :p

chewwie
12-10-2005, 10:19 PM
lol - ok i see your points on the calling! But i love many other bands and your opinions on me should not purely be based on that band :D i mean we all have one thing in common - KK! PLus how can you not love the talent of bands such as counting crows or a more upbeat - the progidy!

DragonRat
13-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Perhaps Haz just has a problem with the youth of the world isolated from the music of the past - the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc. - you know, the REAL music, heh.

Unfortunately, I'm not really asking for one's favorite artists, per se. Rather, I'm asking for one's favorite albums - completely different. Albums have a character and depth all their own. Listening to Nick Drake's three separate albums - Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter, and Pink Moon - are experiences in themselves; though buying Way to Blue: An Introduction is a good way of literally introducing oneself to Nick Drake, it doesn't sum up his music, as how it was meant to be heard. The way artists attempt to craft their albums, is similar to the way Mozart or Beethoven attempted to craft their movements.

Hazzle
13-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Perhaps Haz just has a problem with the youth of the world isolated from the music of the past - the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc. - you know, the REAL music, heh.

Hehe. Ain't that the fucking truth. Meh, just messing with you Chewie...apart from that one album it's not a bad selection...

Unfortunately, I'm not really asking for one's favorite artists, per se. Rather, I'm asking for one's favorite albums - completely different. Albums have a character and depth all their own.

I picked albums I consider to be great albums, regardless of if they're my favourite artists. I mean it does happen that my favourite albums are by some of my favourite artists but there's no Chili Peppers album on there (it was a tough choice between Dookie and Californication to be fair) and I'd consider the Chili Peppers to be a better band than Green Day, for example. Not to mention several other better bands who didn't get a mention just because I didn't feel their albums were as tightly woven.

DragonRat
13-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Here's a band that everyone underestimates and forgets to mention: The Velvet Underground. I'd probably say their debut "The Velvet Underground & Nico" is probably overall a better project than their other subsequent releases, but it's simply amazing how melodic Lou Reed's music can be.

Supposedly, the difference between the musical class of such bands as the VU (or the Beatles, the Stones, etc.) is simply on a higher level than many recent bands of note. I'd probably say it's not necessarily the melodies (because almost anyone can make catchy songs), but it's the lyrics that change the whole look. (One of my college friends can write some of the catchiest songs ever, but if he were to write sappy love poems instead of the usual insecure, sophomoric idiosyncrasies, his music would suffer as whole.)

"But I'm gonna try for the kingdom if I can, 'cause it makes me feel like I'm a man, when I put a spike into my vein, and I can tell you things aren't quite the same, when I'm rushing on my run, and I feel like Jesus' son, and I guess that I just don't know - and I guess that I just don't know."

I don't think any band these days will be balls enough to actually talk about such things as drug abuse - and with such an intensity as Lou Reed's off-key voice and John Cale's incessant viola. (Of course, if you would prefer some of the VU's dreamier tunes, check out 'Loaded'. "Who Loves The Sun?", "Sweet Jane", and "Rock & Roll" are three classic tunes.)

But then again, it's not just about the candidness of the musicians, but these days, it would appear as if musicians are more likely to "sell out" to a record contract, rather than keep with the roots of their music - which is about originality, emotional depth, and most importantly, the voice of the musicians themselves.

DefyingGravity
13-10-2005, 10:52 AM
I know I've already put my 2 cents into this thread, but I would like to express my joy at how many times The Who and the Rolling Stones have come up on these lists. I can't believe I forgot the Stones on my list.

I probably need to be shot in the face.

hasselbrad
13-10-2005, 12:42 PM
I know I've already put my 2 cents into this thread, but I would like to express my joy at how many times The Who and the Rolling Stones have come up on these lists. I can't believe I forgot the Stones on my list.

I probably need to be shot in the face.

Including The Who in your list grants immunity from being shot in the face. ;)

Ranman
13-10-2005, 08:40 PM
So I picked 6 ( I couldn't decide which one to leave out)

Who wants to make something out of it :fencing:

DefyingGravity
13-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Including The Who in your list grants immunity from being shot in the face. ;)

w00t.

Maybe just a slap, then.

Ranman
13-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Please Brad, Don't post pics of yourself again
My stomach can't handle another one like that. :eek:

PhoeniX
16-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Bloc Party Silent Alarm
The Who The Ultimate Collection
Pink Floyd The Wall
The Clash London's Calling
Faithless Forever Faithless

Ashley
19-10-2005, 12:04 AM
I just listened to Death Cab For Cutie's Plans album. It's quality. Real quality.

Ranman
19-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Add U2 The Joshua Tree to my list

a ring in return
25-10-2005, 02:08 PM
1. Saosin- Translating the Name
2. Dashboard Confessional- The Places That You Come to Fear the Most
3. Circa Survive- Juturna
4. The Sound of Animals Fighting
5. Coheed & Cambria- In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Anthony Green- best fucking voice ever.

xJellYx
29-10-2005, 07:30 PM
False Smiles - Amy Studt (girl power all the way!)
Don't Believe The Truth - Oasis
Daniel Powter - Daniel Powter (Every song is good)
Employment - Kaiser Chiefs
The Glitterati - The Glitterati

They're mine and I don't care what anyone else thinks!

Love Belle

XxX