PDA

View Full Version : On my iPod

Hazzle
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
There's a regular bit in the Metro (a free newspaper that's distributed in all the major cities in the UK) called "On my iPod" where celebrities have to pick 6 tracks that are on their iPod for a "six track mix" and say a bit about each song, why they chose it, why they love it, etc...

So I propose that we play a similar game...pick any 6 tracks from your iPod (and ONLY 6) and say a bit about each. I'll do mine later when I've had a chance to think about it :p

apoggy
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Note: You dont have to own an iPod to contribute to this thread, that would be discriminatory.

Kelsey
02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Cliff saw my measly iPod selection, so picking only six shouldn't be too difficult.

(#1) Yellow by Coldplay. For the lyrics "Look at the stars. Look how they shine for you. In everything you do."

(#2) What You Waiting For? by Gwen Stefani. For the lyrics Look at your watch now. You're still a super hot female. You've got your million dollar contract. And they're all waiting for your hot track." Plus, I *love* Alice in Wonderland, and the wierd twist on it in this video is totally cool.

(#3) The National Anthem. My favorite song in the whole world.

(#4) Those to Come by The Shins. I absolutely love this song. I still associate it with Topher Grace and Scarlett Johansson, but that's okay. The music and lyrics of this song are gorgeous.

(#5) Home by Michael Buble. Downloaded this song in June when I was "stuck" in Europe, and the only place I wanted to be was home, playing pool with my dad, eating dinner in between shots.

(#6) We're All Alright by Cheap Trick. A fun song, plus it's inspiring in that it reminds me of what I'm working towards.

apoggy
02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Oasis - Live Forever - Well what to say, I couldnt do a 6 track and not include Oasis, and I have to say narrowing the list down was hard, I went for the timeless classic, the song that when released showed that Oasis didn't merely have one string to their rather impressive bow (at the time of course ;) )

Coldplay - Don't Panic - Was a toss up between this and Amsterdam, I do like that song, but it is a tad depressing to be only one of 6. Don't Panic, I don't know why, its just one of those songs.

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now - Upbeat, uplifting, and Queen rock. Simple

The Coral - Dreaming of You - Anyone who has heard the intro to the song will know why, a must if you have never heard it.

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony - Cheese.

Athlete - Tourist - I like Athlete, I find them refreshing, they do their own thing, and it seems to be working well for them.

Liam
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Opeth - Reverie / Harlequin Forest: Opeth never cease to amaze me, blending acoustic harmonies and clean vocals with heavy as fuck riffs and death growls. Making a song 11 minutes long is difficult. Making a song thats 11 minutes long and not boring is even harder. These guys are special. This song is one of the few with clean style vocals and heavy riffing. Brilliant.

Rammstein - Mein Teil: If you understand the German, the lyrics are both amusing and very disturbing. If you don't, then its still a fantastic riff-fest.

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill: Read the lyrics online somewhere. Its terrible, but I know a lot of people this song could be written about. Heavy and fast...and Pantera. Hard to go wrong really.

Coldplay - In My Place: Always was my favourite Coldplay song, and its still holding the top spot despite some stiff challenges from some of the stuff from X&Y.

System of a Down - Aerials: Makes me want to jump.

Slayer - Raining Blood: Best. Song. Ever.

apoggy
02-10-2005, 03:15 PM
In My Place? That wouldn't be on my top ten Coldplay songs to be frank, but as we all know a person is entitled to their own opinions :p

Liam
02-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Yeah...dunno. Musically, its not that spectacular. It just sort of...works :)

They have better songs, but its still my favourite.

Jacoby
02-10-2005, 04:14 PM
In no particular order:

Wolf Parade - Shine a Light
The song motivates me, and I've been in such a lack of motivation lately.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Two-Headed Boy
A beautiful song with thought out lyrics that read like a novella.

Wilco - Someday, Some Morning, Sometime
I guess I just really admire the message. I'd like to sing this song to someone.

Badly Drawn Boy - Another Devil Dies
I've always liked all of his stuff, but this one stood out.

Bright Eyes - Bowl of Oranges
It's not my favorite Bright Eyes song, but it's the most uplifting, and it gets the best reaction out of others, and I like that.

Death Cab for Cutie - Death of an Interior Decorator
Possibly my favorite of theirs.

Hazzle
02-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Note: You dont have to own an iPod to contribute to this thread, that would be discriminatory.

Yeah, it was just a reference to the segment that I based the idea on :D I should've made that clearer.

I, however, AM sticking to what's on my iPod because it's a lot easier than picking from my entire music collection :p

Creeper Kamikaze by The Exies:

The strings on this song are amazing, absolutely haunting and then the song builds up to a really emotional crescendo where Scott Stevens' vocals just shatter your heart into a multitude of pieces with their raw power.

Sonny by Funeral for a Friend:

The intro to this song is awesome, very atmospheric with synthesisers and a drum machine making it very unlike a typical Funeral song. Matt Davies launches into the opening verse with characteristically raw emotion. The lyrics are really amazing and the anguish is translates perfectly to the listener, you can't help but be moved by it. It’s as far away from stereotypically Emo song as you can get and that’s its beauty.

Demolition Lovers by My Chemical Romance:

The best song by an amazingly talented band, I was absolutely gutted when they didn’t play this when I saw them live. It has it all, soft slow build up, powerful crescendo, then a slow down once more, and Gerard’s vocals go through the full spectrum, showing off all his vocal talents to their fullest. He sounds quite haunting singing “All we are, all we are, is bullets I mean this”. The lyric that stands out, however, is “Like a bed of roses there’s a dozen reasons in this gun”.

Sic Transit Gloria by Brand New:

Not only is the title inspired by Rushmore (what a film!) but the intro is very bass-heavy, inspiring memories of The Clash at their peak. Few rock bands really make use a good bass player and Garret Tierney is one of the best. The song’s about a guy being used by a girl for sex (how rare) and it’s interesting to see the typical scenario thrown upside down. I also like the references to peer pressure making him have sex before he’s ready, and the references to it being the only way for him to “grow up”. The lyrics are amazing all-round but the line “He is the lamb, she is the slaughter” is particularly profound, as is the line “Die young and save yourself”, not, as many might interpret, a reference to suicide, but instead to “saving yourself” and “dying young” in a metaphorical sense. Again, a very un-Emo song, musically, by an Emo band.

Dancing for Rain by Rise Against:

A great intro with acoustic guitar fools you into thinking this might be a mellow song but NO! It’s a typical Rise Against punk anthem, powerful and epic, raw emotion and superlative lyrics. Unlike a lot of American punk acts who lack the lyrical and composition skills, Rise Against show superb promise and I am looking forward tremendously to seeing them live in November as part of Taste of Chaos. Just a great track, deceptively simple, it masquerades as just another punk song, but it’s a lot more than that.

Jenny was a Friend of Mine by The Killers:

Great synths once again kick off a stellar track that I can listen to over and over again. Once again another band really allowing their bassist to showcase their talents. Mark Stroemer and Ronnie Vannucci actually eclipse the talent of Brandon on this song which is rare for any song by The Killers. Easily the best song off of Hot Fuss.

Kelsey
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I *love* the Killers. Talk about gutted, I was depressed for weeks when I found out that some of them are Mormon. (No Mormons take offense, please). Their CD is awesome.

deviljet88
03-10-2005, 06:31 AM
No order.

Nine Inch Nails - Last: "come come gotta let me inside of you". And catchy riff thingy.

Nine Inch Nails - Wish: It's angry. I like anger. Oh and "fist fuck" is really well used.

The Offspring - Can't Repeat: Simple, catchy, easy to jump or sing along to.

Air - Dead Bodies: Like the starting piano bit, nice beat

A Perfect Circle - Pet: Recently got Thirteenth Step, guitar riffy thing again

A Perfect Circle - Passive: "You fucking disappoint me"

Ashley
03-10-2005, 07:15 AM
No order and will change regularly

The Polyphonic Spree - Light and Day It's just light and catchy. It makes me think of a bunch of kids at a God camp or something. But the song is from Eternal Sunshine and I love it.

David Gray - One I Love It's just a good song. And thanks to Mags, I often play it on my guitar.

The Corrs - Would You Be Happier Catchy little number.

Coldplay - Don't Panic I listen to a lot of Coldplay but I listen to this the most being as it's on the Garden State soundtrack and that plays a lot.

Frou Frou - Hear Me Out I love this song. Sadly, sometimes I relate all too well to this song.

Fall Out Boy - Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner The title is genius and sparked my interest of the song, and then I listened and actually like the song. Funny how that works.

It was a little hard to narrow it to six.

Richard
03-10-2005, 07:07 PM
How come I've never heard of more than half of these bands?

Hazzle
03-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Frou Frou - Hear Me Out I love this song. Sadly, sometimes I relate all too well to this song.

NICE choice. On my iPod too!

Jasmine
03-10-2005, 11:56 PM
(#1) Marching Bands of Manhattan by Death Cab For Cutie
I love DCFC... and Marching Bands of Manhattan has such great lyrics as well as instrumental.

(#2) The Razor by Head Automatica
It's a great song... really catchy, yep.

(#3) You're So Damn Hot by Okay Go
Because I've got a huge crush on this girl, and it's based purely on infatuation... because she's sooooooooooooo hot. (And my friends call her a Keira look-a-like so I wonder why I like her. Hmm....)

(#4) Closure by Chevelle
The story of my life... just listen to the lyrics.

(#5) Don't Panic by Coldplay
Because I'd like to think we live in a beautiful world.

(#6) Blue Eyes by Cary Brothers
My other crush (I've only got 2) has amazing blue eyes...and a lot of the things in this song relate to her.

frodo1511
03-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Coldplay-Amsterdam. My favorite song of all time, Amsterdam must be listened to at least twice in succession. Marvelous intro, and Coldplay's best song.

Gorillaz-Dare. A song you need a damn good 'woofer to fully enjoy, Gorillaz fails to conform to society's standards, which I'm thankful for.

Passive-A Perfect Circle. Sure, it's political, but still damn good. APC never fails to dissapoint.

3 more later, my shows are on now.

Mags
04-10-2005, 12:05 AM
6 tracks....

1) Gotta agree with Ashley on this one and put David Gray - The One I Love. Totally fantastic and excellent to play on the guitar.

2) Iron and Wine - Naked As We Came
This song is just great. And not at all like what the title would imply. A tiny bit morbid, but just excellent all around

3) Journey - Midnight Train
Why the hell not. It makes me smile.

4) Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
Something about this song always makes me reminiscent about something I can't remember. It's quite surreal.

5) Rilo Kiley - Go Ahead
This band is awesome. Super duper awesome, and this is one of my favorite songs by them

6) Tegan and Sara - I Hear Noises
These girls are fantastic and I love them way more than any one person should.

DragonRat
04-10-2005, 06:54 AM
1) Nick Drake - "Man In A Shed"/"At The Chime of a City Clock" (From the hopelessly romantic simplicity of the former, to the urban isolation of the latter, Drake can conjure up some heavy feelings with a flick of his fingers.)

2) The Jam - "That's Entertainment" (I first heard this on that Adidas commercial campaign "I Love Football". Though the lyrics have almost nothing to do with footie, the song itself is just classic.)

3) Pinback - "Non-Photo Blue" (If you have not heard Pinback, I demand that you do. If this specific song doesn't get your feet tapping and wonder what in blazes they're singing, then something's wrong. After this song, then download their three albums and prepare to chill.)

4) Third Eye Blind - "The Background" (In my opinion, this is the most brilliant song 3EB have crafted, on their self-titled debut, which is one of the most brilliant albums of the past ten years. Unfortunately, they have so many other great songs on that freakin' album, this one gets little notice. It really shouldn't. Besides, it has a lyric about Haight St. - that's Bay Area representation.)

5) The Smiths - "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" (C'mon. If you don't like this song, then you're just buggered. You can feel the tug of despondency in Morrissey's voice, and the loneliness jingle out of Johnny Marr's guitar.)

I could really go on and write out straight playlists, but someone said top six. :P

Hazzle
04-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I knew there was a reason DR was missed on the forums...

acliff
04-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't have an ipod, because I'm cool and different and shit (Rio Carbon all the way baby) but heres 6 for the moment.
My musical changes as if I have ADHD, so it'll be different in about 30 minutes.

Kaiser Chiefs - Everyday I love you less & less (Very British, very catchy, very retro, I get this urge to bounce up and down when I listen to this)

Jamiroquai - World that he wants (Just like listening to this)

Kasabian - Processed Beats (Possibly one of the coolest songs I've heard in a while)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (A classic, which you never get tired of listening to)

Incubus - Summer Romance(Anti-Gravity Love Song) (I'm not exactly sure why, but it came up on random play on windows media player, and I kept listening to it. Very catchy.)

Jeff Buckley - Lover, You should've come over (Reminds me that there is no other person in the world with a voice quite like his. And I want it. Good song too. The cover by Jamie Cullum isn't anywhere near as good)

Rob The BLack Douglas
06-10-2005, 04:25 AM
THUNDERSTRUCK-AC/DC: Imagine a kilted ogre parting crowds like Moses parting the Red Sea. The shocked looked on people's faces fit this song perfectly.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN-SEX PISTOLS: Lately when i listen to this bit of pure genius I've een changing the lyrics to God Save the King(in reference to our president, King George II).

THE GREEN FIELDS OF FRANCE-DROPKICK MURPHY'S: A powerful song about the meaningless deaths in WWI. Chokes me up every time.

SWEET NEO CON-ROLLING STONES: A blast aimed directly at President Bush that is powerful and damn catchy. I love it.

SPEECHLESS-BEYONCE: The orgasm song, nuff said.

SING FOR ABSOLUTION-MUSE: This song as many meanings to me and works on many different levels. And the the lead singers voice is just perfect.

Rob

hannahjane
06-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Off the top of my head (probably won't stick):

Damien Rice - Sand

Death Cab for Cutie - Title and Registration

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Arctic Monkeys - Cigarette Smoke

Louis XIV - Hey Teacher

Counting Crows - Colourblind

Hazzle
06-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Counting Crows - Colourblind

Oooh, that's on mine too. I LOVE that song. I actually even considered putting it on MY list.

Nice one!

Vertigo
06-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Lately i have been listening to

The Strokes - Juice Box : Completely new direction and sound for them. Great bass part and a catchy chorus.

Stephen Fretwell - Emily : Great little accoustic song of love gone bad.

Babyshambles - Albion : Pete Doherty's finest moment post Libs.

Arctic Monkeys - Mardy Bum : One of the best up and coming bands in britain, with this being my personal fave of there tracks.

Interpol - NYC : The ultimate song of inner city loneliness.

Littleans - Their Way : Amazing songwriting and vocals from britains favourite crack head.

Jacoby
07-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Interpol - NYC : The ultimate song of inner city loneliness.

Easiest song to play on guitar ever.

F F F F F F F F F F F F C C C C

It's such a good song, though, and Turn on the Bright Lights is probably one of my favorite albums ever. It's on the Top 5 list of mine for sure.