PDA

View Full Version : The fur trade

Hazzle
25-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Credit where it's due, Defying Gravity actually pointed out this article (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=874) and it made me think.

What do we all think of the fur trade? I myself am opposed to it, but then, I wear leather and if you take the anti-fur argument to its logical conclusion, I shouldn't. I suppose that makes me a hypocrite I just don't think fur is as much of a necessity as leather.

deviljet88
26-09-2005, 12:00 AM
How many 15 year olds do you see wearing fur? Currently don't give a rat's arse, but I think it's a great trade. Beats shooting animals for no reason besides the fun of it.

Hazzle
26-09-2005, 05:50 AM
Fair point. But ignoring the fact that shooting them senselessly is worse, is the killing of animals for their fur, per se, wrong?

deviljet88
26-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Fair point. But ignoring the fact that shooting them senselessly is worse, is the killing of animals for their fur, per se, wrong?
No. Say if the cavemen were all animal liberationists or whatever they're called now, they'd probably have frozen to death because they weren't allowed to wear animal skin. I don't care how many millennias human kind has advanced, keep it as a tribute to their ingenuity.

Oh and there's the vegetarian argument, but I cbf on that one. The KKW BBQ is good enough evidence to show slaughtering for meat's totally fine.

DefyingGravity
26-09-2005, 08:52 AM
No. Say if the cavemen were all animal liberationists or whatever they're called now, they'd probably have frozen to death because they weren't allowed to wear animal skin. I don't care how many millennias human kind has advanced, keep it as a tribute to their ingenuity.

Well then, let's all make cave drawings, shall we?

deviljet88
26-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Well then, let's all make cave drawings, shall we?
*points at the Australian Aborigines* It's their culture to still do it. Fetches quite a bit as well.

acliff
26-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Fur is warm, and is necessary in some cultures to stop them from freezing to death.

Like who knows how many girls would die if they exposed their ankles to the elements...

Hazzle
26-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Like who knows how many girls would die if they exposed their ankles to the elements...

Wait, don't most girls do that already? The girls around where I live and work are like that anyway...

acliff
26-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I suppose in your area, they also refrain from bonking women over the head with a hammer, and taking them back to your hovel to ravish them?
Way too civilised...

Hazzle
26-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a typical Saturday night out to me...

Kelsey
26-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Don*t wear fur.

hasselbrad
26-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Survival of the fittest. We have large brains and opposable thumbs which make it possible to club furry animals to death for their skin. If they had bothered to evolve, they wouldn't be in the situation they are.
Small brains and valuable pelts doom them to their lot in life.
;)

Ashley
26-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Only bad people wear fur.

Of course if your cultural elements force you to do so. Like... eskimos. Then fur in a necessity. Butnot like J.Ho who wears it strictly for show. Fur is not fashion.

Leather is a whole other story.

duckula
26-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Fur can look cool. Who gives a fuck how many dogs need to be shot to make a coat. They are dogs. Fucking vegan PETA cat fuckers.

DefyingGravity
26-09-2005, 08:07 PM
*points at the Australian Aborigines* It's their culture to still do it. Fetches quite a bit as well.

Oh. That's quite cool, I didn't know that. :)

acliff
26-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Fur feels like murder.
mmmm soft and warm....