3. Waste Ur Life Anyway possible
a. On KK
b. On Money/Job
c. Nothing In Particular

Just messing around, post whatever u want
-MK4 ;)

Renegade
01-09-2005, 05:10 AM
Spam or intelligent thread in disguise? Hmm...

Well I think the meaning of life is to live it so that when you grow old and ugly, you have something worthy to reflect on while you await your death.

deviljet88
01-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Making others laugh.

acliff
01-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Making others cry... when you're gone

Keyser_so_so
01-09-2005, 12:56 PM
What we do in life echoes in eternity, so I guess our main goal is to do something good- whether it is bring joy, or help needy, or save the planet, something- anything good.

The other thing to life is to just remember not to worry about death. We all must die, and whatever happens to us after we die will just be another chapter in our existence... Life is for living, so worrying about the enevitable event of death is not worth wasting your precious time on earth with.

Digital_Ice
01-09-2005, 05:33 PM
42 .

Ardnax
01-09-2005, 05:59 PM
42 .
Yes, you are so right. The ultimate answer to everything, including the meaning of life, is indeed 42.

barrington
01-09-2005, 07:27 PM
If I see one more thread on the internet with "42" im going to choke someone. It was old in 1993 and even more stale now. Don't do it again.

acliff
01-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Wouldn't it be totally ironical if this thread got to 42 replies? Eh EH!?! *hint*

Digital_Ice
01-09-2005, 10:14 PM
If I see one more thread on the internet with "42" im going to choke someone. It was old in 1993 and even more stale now. Don't do it again.heh, sorry baz, not funny i know, but somebody had to do it!

Ashley
01-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I don't get it.

Spire
02-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Who cares.

deviljet88
02-09-2005, 06:43 AM
I don't get it.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Ashley
02-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Never read/saw it. Mags clued me in though.

a ring in return
02-09-2005, 02:52 PM
My friend actually wrote 5 pages on the meaning of life, while he was high in chem class. Basically, the idea was that the meaning of life is to make babies.

Dionysus
02-09-2005, 03:23 PM
What we do in life echoes in eternity

someones seen "Gladiator" recently :D
just kiddin'

why do people think there is some big meaning to life, there isnt
is there meaning to a kangaroos, barn-owls, gazelles or earth worms life, i dont think so, so what makes humans think that we are so special thatwe must have more meaning to our lives than other animals
silly creatures we are :D

Kelsey
03-09-2005, 10:14 AM
The meaning of life better not be to reproduce.

You die three times in life: when you physically die, when the last person who knew you dies, and when the last person who has heard of you dies. Do all you can to achieve your wildest dreams, never stop, and you will live forevor.

Alendor
03-09-2005, 11:25 AM
The meaning of life?

That is some heavy-weight philosofically question we got here with absolute no chance of answering with anything other that our own idea for the meaning of life. But we can all find som similarities or things that only very few will disagree on.
Wouldn't the meaning of life be living? If you aren't living then you are dead and therefore your life will be forfeit(spelling?). So my answer in all its vagueness is that a person is suppose to live life.
That would probably mean the same as fx Kelseys answer to live out ones dreams or as somebody else said(who I have forgotten) that you should at old age be able to look back at your life with no regret.

I must sadly admit that I already am regretting several things that I now try to make amends for.

Kelsey
04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Be aggressive, Be-e aggressive. Live strong, party hard. Baby.

Jacoby
04-09-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a rhetorical question.

Neras
05-09-2005, 12:31 AM
You die three times in life: when you physically die, when the last person who knew you dies, and when the last person who has heard of you dies.

We're roaming into Achilles' territory here. :p Immortality lasts as long as your name does...

In my opinion, there is no point to life. We live, we die. Do what you can inbetween.

Liam
05-09-2005, 11:15 AM
There is no meaning to life, unless you define it as a constant stream of putting up with other people's shit and slaving away at a job you dont like.

You get used to it though. Don't worry kids.

acliff
05-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm going to spend my life making loads of money in the hope that it will make me happy. After which I will blow all of the money on expensive cars, houses, food, hoildays. Then my wife will divorce me for the gardener, I'll call her a cheating whore, ruin her, and then find enlightenment as a kung fu master.

And my children will all be movie stars/world class athletes, in case I run out of money. And they'll be bulletproof.

Kelsey
05-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm going to spend my life making loads of money in the hope that it will make me happy. After which I will blow all of the money on expensive cars, houses, food, hoildays. Then my wife will divorce me for the gardener, I'll call her a cheating whore, ruin her, and then find enlightenment as a kung fu master.

And my children will all be movie stars/world class athletes, in case I run out of money. And they'll be bulletproof.

Thing is, money can buy happiness. Even if all that shit happened to you, you wouldn*t be horribly depressed because you*d still have all the cool shit you bought.

Bait
06-09-2005, 04:02 AM
the meaning of life is to achieve randomness all the time. the only constant in the world is change/randomness.

acliff
06-09-2005, 06:13 AM
^^ How random ^^

Thing is, money can buy happiness. Even if all that shit happened to you, you wouldn*t be horribly depressed because you*d still have all the cool shit you bought.

At that point you'd hope that one of those cool things wasn't a shotgun :P

Alendor
07-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Money can't buy happieness. Only the illusion of happieness. So for that illusion to be effective your whole life you have to be slightly dim. But if you are one of the persons who aren't that dim then you will at some point see through the illusion and be left with wath is really there. An empty and hollow life. At THAT point Acliff's shotgun might be looking awful attractive....

I can't see any reason to be more suicidal than realizing ones life was an illusion.

Of course there are the happy endning where the illusion breaks and you can suddenly see all the real things in your life that provides happieness....... that requires that those things are already in your life

acliff
07-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Money can't buy happieness. Only the illusion of happieness. So for that illusion to be effective your whole life you have to be slightly dim. But if you are one of the persons who aren't that dim then you will at some point see through the illusion and be left with wath is really there. An empty and hollow life. At THAT point Acliff's shotgun might be looking awful attractive....

I can't see any reason to be more suicidal than realizing ones life was an illusion.

Of course there are the happy endning where the illusion breaks and you can suddenly see all the real things in your life that provides happieness....... that requires that those things are already in your life

Of course, you can't make that judgement until you're impressively wealthy... and I'm assuming that you'd have better things to do than come here if you were a multi million/billionaire...
That 'money can't buy happiness' idea is idolised by people who do not believe that they will ever make that kind of money, and have to find an excuse to be content with what they have. In my opinion it is an unhealthy way to stunt ambition, drive, and general self improvement.

'The money can't buy happiness' idea is bullshit. While money in paper/coin form can't make you truly happy, money can be used to create opportunities to be so. Who's happier, someone who's having fun in the sun in say, Barbados, or someone who has always wanted to go but cannot afford to go? Who's happier, the person who can afford to do the things when they want to, or the one who scouring the street for pennies, wondering for the rest of their lives what it would be like to do what they want to do, rather than what they have to do to survive? If you consider love to be a source of true happiness, having money makes it easier to get into the position to find it, and from then on keeping it. Naturally thats simplifying the issue, I'm not implying its just money which holds a family together, but it sure cuts out a lot of achingly painful arguments, disputes and stresses.

The reason why rich people get fucked up and depressed while having money, is because they are fucked up and depressed in the first place. Poor people are fucked up and depressed too, perhaps even more so as they don't have the monetary means to alleviate the situation. It just seems all the more tragic that someone can be depressed when they have lots of money. You'll find that they're probably more depressed people amongst the poorer of us, but they're not quite as high profile. And can't afford shrinks.

I'm going to make money. I'm going to earn my money, I'm going to deserve it, and everything I buy will be a satisfaction that it confirms what I've done to get it. And that in itself would make me happy. As would the newfound ability to share it with others, and give to those who have given to me in the past.
I've been poor. I don't like being poor. Its caused me far too much stress. If having lots of money would merely give me contentment and not true happiness, I'll take it tbh. The happiness is down to my brain to sort out.

acliff
07-09-2005, 12:46 PM
The chance of becoming a millionaire at all is very small. Partially due to human incompetence, the relative few who are skilled/clever enough to warrant getting paid that much and huge competition for jobs which might require such reward such money.

The chance of becoming a millionaire while not deserving it is even smaller. There are far more millionaires in the world than there are millionaire actors, musicians. Most of them have worked hard for such.

fyi, the people who I consider not deserving it are those who inherit, lottery winners, etc.

To be honest although I don't condone what they do, even drug barons in part deserve what they get for the amount of danger they are in, and the amount of work they have to do to rise to such position.

Kelsey
09-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Actually, I can pretty much guarantee everyone here will be a millionaire. It won*t mean what it does today, but you*ll be one.

I myself am going to be a billionaire. Say the chances are small if it makes you feel better, but it doesn*t change the fact that I will.

hasselbrad
09-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I Turkey someone who lives on the street is a millionaire, because of the currency...
The chance that someone in Europe will be a millionaire in Euros is a lot smaller.
The day you're a Billionaire in dollars you can give me a call, and I will congratulate you. I don't say the chance is small to make myself feel better, how my chances are is no one's business.
It’s just a fact that people who have to start from zero, have a very small chance to become millionaire/billionaire in dollars or Euros.

Not here they don't. Capitalism for the muddafuggin win!
Bill Gates, anyone? Kelsey's going to be the Bill Gates of the entertainment industry!

Leonie
09-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Just out of curiosity - which currency is worth the most per unit? Like... of which country's money do I want to have a million and be wealthier than all other millionaires? Biggest money unit I know right now is the English pound stirling - it'll do for now :icon_razz

hasselbrad
09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Just out of curiosity - which currency is worth the most per unit? Like... of which country's money do I want to have a million and be wealthier than all other millionaires? Biggest money unit I know right now is the English pound stirling - it'll do for now :icon_razz

I think you are right. The Pound is pounding the dollar.

Pound>American Dollar>Canadian Dollar>Peso

That's all I know.

mark_simpsonsfan
09-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Basically, the idea was that the meaning of life is to make babies.well it is really. but there's lots of other fun st00f to do in between all that.

Kelsey
09-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Alexis Bledel, heh. I spoke with her camp today.

I think it*s easier to start with nothing and become a millionaire. You want it more.

Alendor
09-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Well I'll not be quoting acliff's response to my previous post because it'll just be one very big quote. So this should be enough so people know what I'm referring to.

I will start be saying that I did say something that wasn't exactly what I meant. I said that money could only buy the illusion of happiness. That was an exageration(that word is definetely not spelled right). It is more like(for some people....explained in a moment) a lesser happiness. But a still a certain kind of happiness.

You can roughly say we have to groups of people plus all those who doesn't fit in one of these groups. There are does who believe that there exists some kind of happiness greater than the kind money can buy. You can call them romantics or optimists...whatever.
Then there are the obvious opposite. The one who believe in happiness due to material gain. More money = more happiness.

I'm not rich nor am I poor. I have enough money but could of course use more. I have everything that I need but I could also still use a lot more. There are a lot of things I would like. A bigger tv. More dvds. A better computer. A nice car etc.
But none of that would exactly fill me with some kind of joy. They would just get a mark beside my mental list of things I would like to have.

I do actually agree with a lot of things you point out. Money do help to have a happier life and the lack of money do damage to such a life. But money is still just one factor i a big happiness equation. I think the point I'm trying to make here is that money just make it easier to be happy but it won't make you happy on your own.

I really don't want to be the one claiming that love is the only source for happiness. But I'm a romantic so I kind of have to. Love does equal happiness. The problem is achieving the needed love and sustaining it there lies our money thing again. You have already mentioned the importance money can have on such things like economical arguments etc.

Now what makes a person happy is of course different from person to person. It also varies how easy it is for some. Money is enough for someone while nothing can make somebody else happy. I have things I would think you make me happy but a part of me fears that if I ever obtain that I'll just be wanting something else. Basically I am uncertain of what could make me happy

hasselbrad
09-09-2005, 11:00 PM
sorry, but thats crap.

No. She's right. Most millionaires in this country did it on their own from ground zero.

80 percent of today's American millionaires are first-generation rich.

Drs. Stanley and Danko listed other characteristics of these 8.2 million millionaire households. Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth. More than half never received as much as a dollar in inheritance. Fewer than 25 percent received "an act of kindness" from a relative greater than $10,000, and 91 percent never received, as a gift, as much as $1 from the ownership of a family business.

Being first-generation rich is not new for Americans. Drs. Stanley and Danko say, "More than 100 years ago the same was true. In The American Economy, Stanley Lebergott reviews a study conducted in 1892 of the 4,047 American millionaires. He reports that 84 percent were nouveau riche, having reached the top without the benefit of inherited wealth."

This points to one of the most unique features of our nation. Just because you know where a person ended up in life is no guarantee that you can tell where he started. In other words, there is so much economic mobility in our society that starting out with modest means or even being dirt poor does not prevent one from ending up at the top.

According to IRS tax data, 85.8 percent of tax filers in the bottom fifth in 1979 had moved on to a higher quintile, and often to the top quintile, by 1988.

Leonie
10-09-2005, 05:40 AM
Alexis Bledel, heh. I spoke with her camp today.

Alexis Bledel indeed. Say hi for me next time :) Edit: Oh, and while you're at it, can you ask her to get the writers to skip all the Rory teen angst bullshit?

As for money buying happiness? It can certainly contribute to happiness, but if you haven't got any family, no friends at all, then I doubt your sixteen bedroom house will make you happy.

Money does not create happiness, it just makes life easier. Which means that yes, it will save you worries. At the same time, the fact that everything is so easy to obtain means it loses its value. If you've been longing for something, saving up every penny and then finally get to buy it, it will be much better than if you just pull out the Mastercard and go for it.

Liam
10-09-2005, 05:44 AM
If you've been longing for something, saving up every penny and then finally get to buy it, it will be much better than if you just pull out the Mastercard and go for it.

Fucking true that. Periods of agonising saving followed by spending on something you have wished for for a long time is bliss. I can think of a few examples. :)

Kelsey
10-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Sure thing Leonie.

Flightfreak, why so negative. Dream a bit, dude. If things aren*t equally possible in all countries then that*s too bad, move, or accept it, I don*t know. I*m glad I*m American than. Fifty percent taxes is an absolute rip off if you ask me, but still doesn*t condemn an extraordinary person to an average life.

Liam
10-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Around fifty percent tax is normal as a top level taxable rate, no matter where you are.

Kelsey
10-09-2005, 08:20 AM
We don*t pay fifty percent taxes, I don*t think.

Liam
10-09-2005, 08:24 AM
In Australia the top income bracket is taxed 47 cents in the dollar plus a fixed percentage rate for every dollar earned over a certain amount.

The trouble with a lot of the people in this bracket is that they use tax cheats by declaring their income as investments and other assets and as such pay less in tax than an honest, hardworking middle class family - who have children, bills and a mortgage to support.

I think you'd find it would be a similar situation in the US.

Kelsey
10-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Flightfreak, I*m not going to argue with you because that is pointless as you already seem to be under the assumption I don*t know what I*m talking about. Which is fine with me, it won*t make me do or think anything differently than I already do. We all have our preferences, and I respect yours. This issue is cut with many different lines because of the differences in the places we live, I don*t care that much about the issue to argue whether or not it*s possible to become a billionaire and under what circumstances. You want an agument that can relate to any country: the extraordinary person will spend their life working hard and fighting for what it is they want. Their hard work, passion, and dedication will no doubt be paid off in billions, whether in love or assets. That extraordinary person who has achieved his billions can then use it as he wishes.

Keyser_so_so
12-09-2005, 04:54 PM
someones seen "Gladiator" recently :D
just kiddin'

Rumbled... Still, it's a good quote to use.

Another good quote for life is:
'Do or do not, there is no try.'- Yoda. Basically, either do things in life or don't, you won't be like 'oh, I gave it a try.' on your death bed, you'll talk in absolute did or did not.

DragonRat
19-09-2005, 06:46 PM
1. Reproduce
2. Die
3. Waste Ur Life Anyway possible
a. On KK
b. On Money/Job
c. Nothing In Particular

Just messing around, post whatever u want
-MK4 ;)

1. I don't necessarily believe that to be the meaning of life. It could be one of conditions for being a living organism, but that does not correlate to any specific purpose or goal.

2. Well, perhaps death is the end, and so, at the end, one would most likely expect to find meaning. But death in itself is not a meaning, nor is it any real purpose. If "to die" is our purpose, then what is the point in life?

3. In this, I think, it is important to figure in the concept of free will. The three aforementioned examples seem to exemplify a certain type of pleasure or joy in one's life. Of course, one could easily seek the Epicurean path and choose that which is most pleasurable (hedonism). However, not all things that are most pleasurable are always good for you. Then, what about following a weaker principle, and seek that which provides the most utility (most amount of pleasure per time spent, money spent, etc. - or the least amount of pain per).

But, all that really does is split up all of life into two things - pleasures and pains. One could also take into account our cultural and social background, and believe in a set of ethics. In the way of Kant, one could follow the categorical imperative - to follow those rules that would only be universally accepted - but perhaps that is too restricting for us. In a sense, following either one thing or another, or following an altogether too-restrictive categorical imperative, impedes and hinders our very sense of free will.

However, let us assume then, for the sake of argument, that the point of human existence is happiness (or at least, in TJ's words, the pursuit thereof). Happiness, however, is not determined by any single thing; every person - due to their own uniqueness - has their own concept of happiness. (Again, the strange case of free will arises once more.) And, of course, not all people's ideas of happiness correlate to a happier world (e.g., Hitler). Thus, it cannot be that happiness is a determinable factor that can be explained by any one person. And the same would be for anything (not just happiness) that would provide humanity with a meaning to their existence.

Yet, I still proffer the possibility that, due to our circumstances as cognitive beings, we MUST provide a meaning to our existence that cannot be explained in mere biological or evolutionary terms (or even by physical laws). It would seem to most people that, because we have come so far technologically, scientifically, intellectually, linguistically, etc., that there has to be some reason for all of it. (Heck, it is still difficult for people to ponder the very existence of their own consciousness.) Yet, is that really the case? Do we have to have a reason for living? (In my opinion, I believe that living is in and of itself a reason, if that makes any sense.) If one insists that we are works of a higher being (God), then one must still provide a reason for His existence. (I myself do, and I have.) If one insists that we are meant for some certain end, then one must still provide some evidence for that. Looking at the political scheme in the world today, perhaps it would now seem quite plausible for the second option (to die) to be a good reason. (Just kidding.)

Pygmalion
19-09-2005, 11:24 PM
DragonRat, do you do Philosophy? If so, are you for or against the existence of tables? :icon_razz

If happiness (or the search for it) is the meaning of life, then it REALLY bites that three of the six things that make me happy'll end up killing me (alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes) but thats life eh?