PDA

View Full Version : What movie have you seen today?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Richard
19-07-2005, 07:50 PM
As promised, at least I can count on myself to keep this thread alive. That also means I'm going to double post sooner or later. This should be a cool topic (I see no reason why it won't be), and it let's us know which movies to avoid. Give your opinions as well as your rating for each film you see and care to mention.

Ranman
19-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Fantastic Four

What a stinker

hasselbrad
19-07-2005, 09:09 PM
I haven't seen any movies today, but I watched The Hole Sunday night, starring some girl named Keira Knightley...maybe you've heard of her? The "holes" in the story were sort of distracting.

****Warning****Spoilers****Warning****Spoilers**** Warning****

-Liz would have never been allowed to go home after her stay at the hospital. There were three dead bodies in the bunker, one of which was an obvious homicide and another who was impaled on the ladder Liz used to escape. I'm not a detective, but I'm pretty sure they would have had their suspicions and would probably have charged her with at least an accessory.

-Mike kills Jeff when he hears him open a soda that he's been hording. This is after Jeff has complained of severe dehydration (and drank urine). That doesn't make sense. Was he going to wait until he died to drink them?

-Skeleton key? WTF? That lock could have picked with Keira's pinkie. Faced with the prospect of death by dehydration, I doubt that lock would have stood up to much picking before popping open.

-Martyn goes to his accusers house, winds up in the river and nobody thinks that odd? They just chalk it up to suicide? Seems like pretty shoddy detective work to me.

-Somehow, I doubt that a girl who was so obsessed with a boy could pull off such a cunning crime. She seems to go from pathetic obsession to calculating criminal pretty quickly. Cursory knowledge of the delusional mind reveals their inability to see a plan to fruition, which is what happened when Mike died. If she hadn't been delusional, she could have played off beating on the hatch and then...omigosh, it opened...rather than telling him that she had the key. However, the delusional mind is also incapable of the calculation needed to pull that sort of deception off, which, in turn, makes it all the more unlikely that she would have been able to get away with the crime as she did.

I know I'm thinking too much, but it felt like they were trying too hard to pull off a Usual Suspects type of mystery; where the real killer gives misleading clues to derail the investigation.
They failed.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone who hasn't seen it.
I have it on tape if anyone wants it.

Ashley
19-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Moulin Rouge - I could watch that movie everyday

Finding Neverland - Wonderful movie

Million Dollar Baby - Good movie, pissed me off. But it was about to get a good, strong reaction out of me, which is the key point to all movies. Not something I could watch over and over again though

A Very Long Engagement - It took me two times to fully take in this movie. The first time I was confused, the second time I loved every minute of it.

Amelie - A Godsend of a movie

Empire Records - I love this movie, it's hilarious. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

acliff
19-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Fight club
Princess Bride

Totally different films, both totally awesome

Mandy
19-07-2005, 11:00 PM
The Other Sister...pretty much the only way anyone knows who Juliette Lewis is.

acliff
19-07-2005, 11:03 PM
The Other Sister...pretty much the only way anyone knows who Juliette Lewis is.

I've seen her in loads of things..... old skool, starsky and hutch, from dusk till dawn, natural born killers....

Although some of them were when she was really young.

Spire
20-07-2005, 12:40 AM
The five most recent movies I've watched (all within the last 4 days):

Platoon - I'm sure you've all seen this, good Vietnam movie. Full Metal Jacket is better though.

Wedding Crashers - Fairly funny actually, not great, but has some good laughs in it.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Pretty good interpretation of the book, worth a viewing I'd say. Surprise surprise, Johnny Depp is weird.

Howl's Moving Castle - Not Miyazaki's best, but I'm not a huge Miyazaki fan to begin with. This film suffers from a lack of focus and very slow pacing. There is no villain in the film, no real antagonist. The film is really about saving Howl from destroying himself, but that isn't made clear until the final 15 minutes or so. The rest of the film is meandering and, while very interesting, ill-paced. Still better than most of the crap out there though, a truly gorgeous piece of animation.

Zulu - British film about a small group of soldiers holed up in a tiny outpost surrounded by angry natives. A decent film, you'll probably only be able to find it on VHS.

Jacoby
20-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Just saw Sideways. Really great, lots of meaningful lines and some good humor. It had a really good ending, too. Something happy, but not sappy...it's all about interpretation, I guess.

I also saw Charle and the Chocolate Factory this morning. Still thought it was good.

bob
20-07-2005, 03:41 AM
i only just woke up, but the movies i've seen these holidays:

lost in translation - jury's still out on this one, but i still think it's definitely worth watching. if only to see what others' reactions will be =P

a very long engagement - lovely.

ella enchanted - forced to watch this by others. do not watch it unless you're feeling particularly braindead/ditzy. although there are some funny characterisations.

star wars ep i - the only prequel i could somewhat forgive... suddenly not so appealing :( the re-incorporated cut scenes were just unnecessary and stifled the flow. why does everyone say "yippee"?. midichlorians suck... but still better than the latter two, due to the lack of hayden christensen and the poor poor poor poor poor scriptwork.

saved - as shabby as the reviewers make it out to be. gets very boring and sterile after the halfway mark (preachy, too). doesn't even send-up religious fanaticism as well as others have done before it.

Richard
20-07-2005, 04:46 AM
I loved Sideways. That bit with Jack and Miles coming up with the plan to explain how Jack got his nose broken... the car completely misses the tree and drives off into a ditch. That was good humor, and the movie is full of them.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) What a odd little movie. This is one of Roman Polanski's early films and one of many in which he also starred in. It has the unbalanced mixture of both horror and comedy---however, it's more of a comedy than anything else. I suppose it was never the director's intent to make it a serious film. Thank God for that. I couldn't find a single scene in this movie that was even remotely close to horrific, but the actors in this movie along with their comedic timing gives this flick the label of a comic treasure. Co-stars Jack MacGowran and Sharon Tate.

None But The Lonely Heart (1944) This is a pretty dull movie. I love Cary Grant, but there were too many weak moments in the script and just weren't good enough for my liking. Co-stars Ethel Barrymore.

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) Without a doubt, one of the best sci-fi films of the 1950s. Along with "The Thing From Another World", it's a must see from the genre. Co-stars Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal.

Liam
20-07-2005, 06:40 AM
I watched 'Tora Tora Tora!' yesterday, and it would have been fantastic aside from a few small facts:

- It was overdubbed in French. Stupid french housemates.
- The P-40E that was in the movie did NOT have nose mounted guns as depicted, nor could it turn with a Zero.
- It was overdubbed in French.
- It was overdubbed in French.

frodo1511
20-07-2005, 01:40 PM
"Wedding Crashers - Fairly funny actually, not great, but has some good laughs in it."

This movie made my side hurt for 3 hours. I thought it was great, and with the inclusion of Coldplay's "Sparks", it makes it that much better.

Keyser_so_so
20-07-2005, 03:37 PM
After loving it in the cinema, I purchased Closer on DVD the other day, and watched it. I'd forgotten how brutally straight foward and open it is sometimes! Excellent film.

Err... Recently (and by recently I mean in the past month) I've also seen Sin City, which I was blown away by. It's fantastic, and worth checking out, for anybody!

Last weekend the BBC showed The Royal Tenenbaums, which I thought was (again) incredibly good. Very inventive and atmospheric. Last weekend a newspaper also gave away a DVD of David Lean's 1946 adaptation of Great Expectations- which is very good, the definitive version, I'd say. John Mills and Alec Guiness are especially joyous to watch in it, and the direction is very much worth noting (hence the name check before the title).

That's it (I think) for the past month.

Richard
20-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Swimfan (2002) Fatel Attraction it is not. Though I've seen worse, it's best left forgotten. If you ever find yourself wandering around aimlessly at your local videostore... still avoid it. It's nothing but a below average teen flick.

Digital_Ice
20-07-2005, 08:13 PM
i saw madagascar today... funny in places... other bits (like Morts crying bit) were just recycled shrek 2 animations (puss in boots anyone??)

Renegade
20-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Zulu - British film about a small group of soldiers holed up in a tiny outpost surrounded by angry natives. A decent film, you'll probably only be able to find it on VHS.

Zulu was a pretty good action film. It got kind of tedious as it progressed, but overall, it's a solid film.

I saw Hitch, The Jacket, and National Treasure yesterday. Hitch was really funny. I recommend it. National Treasure could've been an intelligent thriller but I guess Bruckheimer always gets what he wants. The Jacket was terrible. It gets interesting at points, but the idea has been done before (and much better at that).

Richard
20-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I saw Hitch, The Jacket, and National Treasure yesterday. Hitch was really funny. I recommend it. National Treasure could've been an intelligent thriller but I guess Bruckheimer always gets what he wants. The Jacket was terrible. It gets interesting at points, but the idea has been done before (and much better at that).

I thought National Treasure was great. It's a shame I never saw it in theaters. Although, they kept saying "The Declaration of Independence" too much and it irritated me, like the audience is so stupid we'd forget what it was called. I didn't think The Jacket was terrible per say, but time passed quickly when I watched it... which is usually a good sign. I have yet to see Hitch.

Keyser_so_so
21-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Having not seen Hitch, the only thing that could possibly attract me to it is the dude (Kevin James) who's in the excellent King of Queens TV series... And Will Smith is always worth watching.

Ranman
21-07-2005, 03:07 PM
If you enjoy Zombie films (like me) Then you should
like Land of the Dead. Lots of gore. Silly plot.
Fun to watch.

Richard
22-07-2005, 12:46 AM
If you enjoy Zombie films (like me) Then you should
like Land of the Dead. Lots of gore. Silly plot.
Fun to watch.

I hope it's just as good as Night, Dawn, and Day.

Breakfast At Tiffany's (1961) Amazing, simply amazing. Not only is this one of Audrey Hepburn's best films (the worst being Green Mansions, which was directed by her hubby at the time Mel Ferrer) but it is also, now, one of my favorite romantic comedies. For those who have seen this... c'mon, you gotta admit the ending was great. George Peppard's character Paul and with Audrey Hepburn as Holly, with The Cat in the middle. Who knew I'd care so much for a chick flick. Co-stars Mickey Rooney, as a japanese painter. :eek:

Charade (1963) Another great movie. Good day I'm having I'd say. Very Hitchcockian, with many suspenseful and comic moments. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn are a dynamic duo on the silver screen, and it's a shame they didn't do another picture together. Nice twist in the end as well. Co-stars James Coburn, Walter Matthau, and George Kennedy.

Woman Of The Year (1942) The first of the many Tracy-Hepburn films they would end up making together. What's so great about this movie is that you can just tell they had a fling going on (which they obviously did). Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn are just two of the greatest actors of our time, so their performances in the film go without saying. It's a nice little movie, check it out if anyone is interested.

Spire
22-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Land of the Dead was a disappointment.

Jacoby
22-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn are just two of the greatest actors of our time...

Yep, seeing as you were born about 45 years after this movie was made. :)

I saw Fargo. You know the acting is amazing when you forget you're watching a movie. Macy and Buscemi are probably the best actors out there, and they don't get much credit for it.

Renegade
22-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Fargo was awesome. My favorite scene is when the hitman (not Buscemi, but the main one) kills the policeman, realizes a car passing by witnessing the murder, and then chasing that car and killing the people inside it. I think that's how the scene went.

I just saw Assault on Precinct 13. It was okay.

Ashlyn
22-07-2005, 05:48 AM
haha i saw Fargo last week, i loved it. their accents are especially awesome, i want one like that.
today we watched bowling for columbine in english, but i suppose everyone has seen it.. its so incredibly sad

hasselbrad
22-07-2005, 12:53 PM
I have a friend from Fargo. She says they don't really talk like that, but she's wrong. They do. She doesn't say "you betcha" after everything, but she has that same accent.
Speaking of accents, I watched Troy last night. I wasn't particularly impressed, especially with the one character who had a Scottish accent. I can get my head around everyone having a crisp, British accent so long as no one is called a 'bloke', but when I close my eyes and see Mike Myers doing his "if is nah Scottish is craap" routine...that's a bad thing.

Richard
22-07-2005, 07:39 PM
I just saw Assault on Precinct 13. It was okay.

The original? Probably not. I still haven't brought myself up to see it yet.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) Decent. I've never seen Rene Russo look so sexy like she was in this film. I still prefer the original though. And I still prefer Noel Harrison's version of 'Windmills of Your Mind' rather than Sting's.

Dial M For Murder (1954) I love Hitchcock, I really do. How he manages to keep the setting of this film as limited as possible and the characters confined in such a small area, which in this case, is an apartment is just amazing. The characters are well-developed too, especially the character of Tony who is so charming he can almost get away with anything---like sealing a business deal, and I love how he's always ahead of the game. The is one of my favorite's done by Hitchcock. Co-stars Grace Kelly, Robert Cummings, and John Williams.

The Sixth Sense (1999) It's good, but surely nothing special. Considering this was M. Night Shyamalan's breakout film, he did a great job. I was amused.

Ashley
23-07-2005, 06:16 AM
The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) Decent. I've never seen Rene Russo look so sexy like she was in this film. I still prefer the original though. And I still prefer Noel Harrison's version of 'Windmills of Your Mind' rather than Sting's.

I thought she looked old in this...
Anyway...

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle ...uhhh.... hehehe....uhhh....

Keyser_so_so
23-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Yesterday I got home tired and bored and couldn't be arsed to go to the cinema to see the shit-fest of Fantastic Four. So I rented Constantine instead, and had a very enjoyable time.

It's a film that will annoy very strong Christians/Catholics/etc., but I heartily recommend it. The whole type-of-legend and atmosphere is spot on to fit right in place with the actual Bible's stuff, and it does nicely to avoid just being John Constantine walking around 'kicking demon ass! And shit! WOOOOOH!'. Oh, and only the really squemish among us will find it horrifying.

Ranman
23-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I just watched a movie called "Let it Ride" on HBO.
I never heard of this movie and wasn't expecting much.
The movie is about horse racing and a couple of losers.
This movie was great. Alot of laughs all the way thru.
It stars Richard Dreyfuss, David Johansen and Terri Garr
none of which are favorites of mine, but all put in fine performances.
The movie has been over for half an hour and I find myself
still laughing at it.

marine
23-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Birth (Nicole Kidman)

Richard
24-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Platoon (1986) If this isn't at least a good war film, than I don't know what is. Like Spire said, a very good Vietnam movie. The death of Sgt. Elias Grodin is one of most moving scenes I've ever seen in a war film.

Panic In The Streets (1950) Another great movie by director Elia Kazan (A Streetcar Named Desire, On The Waterfront, East of Edan, etc...). It's about a fatel plague which is found on a man who hopped a free ship ride into the country. He is murdered towards the beginning of the movie as a result of a bad poker match, but no one knew about the contagious virus he was carrying. Now it's up to a small town doctor to help cure everyone who made direct contact with the victim(s). It's a nice little epidemic film. **Highly Recommended**

Crime School (1938) My second 'Dead End' kids movie I've seen (the other being Dead End, the exact film where they originated from). Like Dead End I enjoyed this movie very much. It's about a group of boys sent away to a school as the result from keeping quiet after just one of them hits and knocks out a man unconscious, almost killing him. It co-stars Humphrey Bogart, who gives another good performance (he also starred in Dead End, but as a different character, in fact, a villian). In my opinion, the Dead End kids are pretty entertaining actors, especially my man Leo Gorcey. It's a shame they're all dead.

Virginia City (1940) A noticed a similarity in this film that matched exactly to a scene in Raiders Of The Lost Ark, I think it's that film, where Indiana Jones sort of skids under a wagon. Perhaps that's where Spielberg and Lucas got that idea from? I'm sure it's been done a few times before elsewhere, I just haven't seen it yet. Oh, and another from Van Helsing but I don't wanna get into that. This movie also stars Humphrey Bogart, in a role I just don't get. This could be the worst Bogart film I've seen. Co-stars Errol Flynn.

frodo1511
24-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Bought Independence Day on DVD yesterday.

Quite possibility the biggest summer movie of all time, even though it's very chessy by todays standards. I guess back in 1996, the Apple notebook was considered uber-powerful, and able to corrupt anything.

Spire
24-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Bought Independence Day on DVD yesterday.

Quite possibility the biggest summer movie of all time, even though it's very chessy by todays standards. I guess back in 1996, the Apple notebook was considered uber-powerful, and able to corrupt anything.

Jurassic Park was a much bigger, much better summer movie.

Richard
24-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Jurassic Park was a much bigger, much better summer movie.

And Jaws. But in terms of box-office results, Jurassic Park was bigger.

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) This is a pretty funny movie. Nice performances done by Cary Grant and Myrna Loy.

frodo1511
26-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Saw "The Island" last night.

Good for a summer movie, that's about it.

Jacoby
26-07-2005, 03:25 AM

Yeah, don't watch this movie in the Winter.

Wedding Crashers was pretty funny. And I can't believe we saw that red-head's breastesises. I loved the cameo from a certain special comedian at the end, too. "Mooooom, can we get some meatloaf!?" Haha. I'd watch it again, but I wouldn't pay for it again.

Mags
26-07-2005, 03:42 AM

Um...I most definitely had nightmares about that movie last night. Not really the same thing as the movie, but futuristic people chasing me all night in my dreams.

Then again, I also most definitely had food poisoning from some dodgy BBQ too...so who knows.

frodo1511
26-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Um...I most definitely had nightmares about that movie last night. Not really the same thing as the movie, but futuristic people chasing me all night in my dreams.

Then again, I also most definitely had food poisoning from some dodgy BBQ too...so who knows.

come to think of it, I had a drean about many people in white taking over my city. That, and I drove the CIEN around town, hitting them, but suprisingly, missing Scarlett everytime. Dunno how that happend...

Jake-Wedding Crashers is one of the funniest movies I've seen in recent memory. Isla Fisher is uber-hot, and the "cameo" was great.

a ring in return
26-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Watched Pulp Fiction this morning, which was then followed by every other Tarantino movie I own, ie. all of them. On another note, I mangled the Matrix Reloaded case, and the dvd in an act of frustration, its now sitting in my closet in pieces. Oh well, horrible movie anyways.

hasselbrad
26-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Shaun of the Dead...again. Jeebus that's a funny movie. I love the way it's intercut at the beginning. I really need to get the DVD although watching it on Cinemax is cheaper. I watched a little of Love Actually. I have it on DVD, but I've never watched it. That, my friends, is lazy.

frodo1511
26-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Watched "Lost in Translation" Sunday morning @ 2am. Either I need to see it again, or this movie is basically a vacation video. Performances were nice(Bill Murry is still the man, while Scarlett is still the woman), but I'll definatley need to see it again at an earlier time.

Keyser_so_so
26-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Lost in Translation is awesome, but be warned it's a bit of a marmite movie- you'll either love it or hate it... And yes, not much really happens. I love it, it's a nice chilled out movie.

frodo1511
26-07-2005, 10:16 PM
This is what I remember: A Brachiosaurus on a giant tele screen, cars on highways, Bill Murray drinking scotch(I think it was scotch), Scarlett Johansson in underroos for most of the movie, and laughing a couple times.

I don't normally see movies like LiT, but I'm considering broadening my horizons. It's going to be on again tommorow on Starz(at a MUCH EARLIER time), so I'll re-review it when I can fully remember everything.

Richard
27-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Honeymoon In Vegas (1992) I liked this movie. I guess I don't have too much to say about it, except that Sarah Jessica Parker who looked oh so incredibly sexy. Co-stars Nicolas Cage and James Caan.

Beyond The Poseidon Adventure (1979) Is this a TV movie? I suppose it doesn't matter, it was so desperate in a way that I just couldn't take the film seriously. I can understand the whole salvage idea they had going on but the characters were just dumb, and it was poorly written if you ask me. A lot of wasted talent in this film. Co-stars Michael Caine, Sally Field, Telly Savalas (Kojak), and Peter Boyle... with hair.

The Vanishing (1993) I liked it and evidently most people didn't. I was interested in what this film had to offer, and it kept me on the edge of my seat (or I rather should say bed). I thought Jeff Bridges did a nice job. Co-stars Kiefer Sutherland and Sandra Bullock.

Darkness Falls (2003) What a stupid movie.

a ring in return
27-07-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm guessing you saw Darkness Falls today on FX?

Richard
27-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm guessing you saw Darkness Falls today on FX?

I did. And the extras didn't help either. What's really funny about that movie is the fact that the creators had the nerve to believe this film was going to be remembered like Jaws and Alien... it's pretty sad.

a ring in return
27-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Yea, it was a pretty bad movie.

Kelsey
27-07-2005, 02:57 AM
On Saturday, I saw The Island, and on Friday I saw Wedding Crashers. Loved both.

EDIT: Since I just saw a few of you watched Darkness Falls on FX, I thought I would mention that I watched Slackers on TV over the weekend. OMG, that movie sucks...I don't care if Laura Prepon is in it, it sucked.

frodo1511
27-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Saw the Island again this evening. It'll probably be my Dark Horse of the summer(since I don't know many who've seen it yet). Pains me to find out that the CIEN was not the real deal-just a body kit molded around a Ferrari engine:(

Watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre(2003) on Starz this afternoon. Not as good as the original, but still had me jump a couple times. Mainly watched it for the Jessica Biel factor.

Ashley
27-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre(2003) on Starz this afternoon. Not as good as the original, but still had me jump a couple times. Mainly watched it for the Jessica Biel factor.

I watched that last year with some friends, it turned into the three of us talking about what we would do if put in that situation. I said I would have left them a long time ago, and I wouldn't have picked up the freak off the side of the road in the first place.

frodo1511
27-07-2005, 01:03 PM
I watched that last year with some friends, it turned into the three of us talking about what we would do if put in that situation. I said I would have left them a long time ago, and I wouldn't have picked up the freak off the side of the road in the first place.

I probably wouldn't even have gone to Texas in the first place.

BTW, what concert were they going to? I can't remember if they said it or not.

Charlie
27-07-2005, 02:37 PM
I just saw The Princess of Thieves last night and didn't notice until now that the scene in the POTC where she was cutting her hair at the beginning of the movie was taken from it.

Richard
27-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Shadow Of The Thin Man (1941) This is my least favorite entry in 'The Thin Man' series, after this sequel I've now seen them all and I can safely say that the entire 'Thin Man' series are an extraordinary achievement in the murder mystery genre... at that time, at this time, of any time, of all time. Co-stars William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Donna Reed.

seventhson
28-07-2005, 12:07 AM
I thought I would take my 10yr old daughter out to the shopping mall in the big city for a day of fun with dad. First we ate at the Rainforest Cafe and all was groovey. Then we found "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" with Johny Depp. I saw the original Willie Wanka when I was a kid & new Depp from Scisors Hands, etc. I enjoyed the flick. Great for kids and even old farts like me. Before the feature started, I was well pleased to see Keira in her new trailer for "Pride and Prejudice"...COMING TO THEATERS SOON.
Wow, Keira is so gorgeous in the clips I saw!
Anyway, my daughter & I had a great time watching Charlie & the Cchocolate Factory after .

Candy will rot your teeth out kid, but this movie is sweet.

Peace,
(-: SeventhSon :-)

Jacoby
28-07-2005, 12:21 AM
I watched Magnolia this morning. Well, morning into afternoon since it's such a damn long film. But it's really great, I liked it a lot. The ending was...weird...but it makes sense if you really think about it religiously.

Ranman
28-07-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't know Jake

Tom Cruise saying " Worship the Cock"

Doesn't quite cut it for me.

Richard
28-07-2005, 02:46 AM
The Little Minister (1934) I absolutely hated this movie. I just couldn't figure out what this film was about, plus the sound was really bad on the VHS tape I was watching it on and everything the characters said was muffled. I finished it alright, but it was achingly long even though it's runtime was only 110 minutes. Horrible experience on my part. Although Katharine Hepburn looked good-- even as a gypsy, that wasn't reason enough for me to like this movie. Maybe I'll watch this film again, but definitely not in the near future.

A Woman Rebels (1936) Thank God for this film. This was on directly afterwards (but on a different VHS tape) and everything was good. I liked the movie, but unfortunetly nothing special. The story is pretty mediocre, and Katharine Hepburn did great as far as I could tell. It wasn't too bad, though a little weak at some points.

You see, with me, when something's weak in a movie my mind starts to wander. For instance, I remember watching 'The Little Minister' and at some point I was thinking about 'Singin' In The Rain' and how awesome Gene Kelly is. :icon_err:

hasselbrad
28-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Good Will Hunting
How I've managed to not see this is beyond me. Since I'm sure I'm the only one who hadn't seen it, I'll save the review and just say that I liked it.

frodo1511
28-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Ok, I saw "Lost in Translation" at a much earlier time, and I have to say, I loved it. I originally dismissed this movie because, in 2003, I was on my Return of the King high-horse, and thought everything else sucked majorly. Now, after seeing this with an open mind, I thought it was a great piece of film. I laughed, I almost cried, and I thought the Tokyo skyline backdrops from the hotel were amazing. I'll have to buy it on DVD later, but this turned out to be a better movie then I expected it to be.

9.4/10

Keyser_so_so
29-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this morning and loved it. Johnny Depp and co were all great in it, Tim Burton did another great job on his directing and it is very much recommended.

Richard
29-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Always (1989) Pretty good. This aired on TCM as the last movie to be shown in honor of Audrey Hepburn as star of the month. It's a nice romantic drama with a good blend of comedy which Spielberg has been known to do so well. Co-stars Richard Dreyfuss, John Goodman, and Holly Hunter.

Constantine (2005) Bad, but surely entertaining. FX overload is what it is. The director relied way too much on how "cool" every scene should look I don't think he gave much thought to anything else. Just how many times do we have to see Keanu walk towards the camera? Did I mention he's one of the greatest actors of our time? I can easily imagine the vast amounts of storyboards this movie must've went through. As for the film itself... the story just sucks. Why did this movie even get made? It took me a long time to figure out the plot I decided to think smart and give up. Rachel Weisz is great eye candy though.

Play Misty For Me (1971) Clint Eastwood's directorial debut, though it's not great, I found the film to be very effective storywise, and in my opinion, it was executed very well. It's been a while since I've seen Fatel Attraction, but Jessica Walter is freakin' scary. Although I thought the ending was a little rushed, I found it reasonable enough. You guys should check this movie out. Co-stars Clint Eastwood and Donna Mills.

The Apartment (1960) I don't have much to say about this film except that I liked it. It was nominated for 10 Academy Awards in 1960 and won 5 including Best Picture. Co-stars Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine.

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory (1971) Great movie, and the music was nice. I can totally sing along to it. I forgot how great this film was and it's now one of my favorite musicals. In high school, I remember someone having the nerve to tell me that I remind them of Charlie. Just absurd.

frodo1511
29-07-2005, 11:00 PM
2 Fast 2 Furious-what a waste of film. The entire movie was all about having the camera do a close-up of someone shifting gears. Hell, most of the time, the cars were CG. Performances were laughable, but Eva Mendes was good to look at. I don't even know why I watched this movie.

4.3/10

Atvar
30-07-2005, 12:54 AM
I watched Men In Black today. To cut a long story short. The acting was good, the acasionly funny but still made me laugh, and had some nice ideas.

Ranman
30-07-2005, 02:11 PM
I went to see the Island yesterday

I liked it alot. It was cool.

Renegade
30-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I saw Troy and Meet The Fockers. Troy was good, I liked it. Meet The Fockers sucked more than it's prequel.

frodo1511
30-07-2005, 06:25 PM
The Day After Tommorow-nice to look at, but the performances were nothing special.

8.1/10

Richard
30-07-2005, 11:12 PM
It Happened One Night (1934) This is a magnificent film. I actually had low expectations because I wasn't really a Clark Gable fan and I've never even heard of this Claudette Colbert before until now, but it was great. She was great. He was great. Every frame of it. I've enjoyed several Frank Capra films already---Mr. Smith Goes To Washington---Arsenic And Old Lace---It's A Wonderful Life, and now this.

How To Marry A Millionaire (1953) I liked it. It stars two of my favorite actresses Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall. Although not Monroe's funniest film (I'd say Seven Year Itch or maybe, Gentle Prefer Blondes) she does really well playing a simple-minded gal. And she doesn't look to shabby with glasses either. Good film. Co-stars Betty Grable and William Powell.

The French Connection II (1975) Not quite as great as the first one, it does rank as one of my favorite and very well done sequels. We don't find too many of those. Too bad they couldn't get back Roy Scheider for this deal, but an okay film nonetheless.

The African Queen (1951) Great movie. It's so odd to see Humphrey Bogart do the crazy things he does in this film. Quite funny too. Katharine Hepburn is amazing as ever.

frodo1511
31-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Batman Begins-best Batman movie ever(although Mask of the Phantasm is a close second). Everything was great.

9.7/10

Richard
31-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Love Crazy (1941) Another one of those William Powell and Myrna Loy films the two made together, and it's great. It's about a couple who, while celebrating their first anniversary together, start to become a bickering couple after Myrna's character's mother comes to visit. As the film progresses, a divorce is considered after she starts to suspect he's having an affair with a past-time lady friend. Pretty funny movie. IMO

Girl Happy (1965) It's an Elvis movie. It's mediocre. One good song, the rest were forgettable.

The First Traveling Saleslady (1956) I don't think this film is getting the recognition it strongly deserves. It's about a corset designer who takes up a job selling barbed-wire in the west. It has many funny moments as well as a good performance by a young (27, in fact) Clint Eastwood. Co-stars Ginger Rogers.

frodo1511
01-08-2005, 04:31 AM
Ice Age

My favorite non-Pixar 3D movie. I have no idea why so many people hated it.

8.9/10

Scott
01-08-2005, 06:23 AM
I saw The Island the other day, not a bad flick and Scarlett Johanson looked pretty hot throughout the entire movie, and because of that I'll give the movie 8/10

frodo1511
01-08-2005, 02:47 PM
I saw The Island the other day, not a bad flick and Scarlett Johanson looked pretty hot throughout the entire movie, and because of that I'll give the movie 8/10

Thank god someone else has seen this movie.

I enjoyed it immensly.

Richard
02-08-2005, 03:59 AM
Lauren Bacall marathon on TCM... I watched a few.

The Cobweb (1955) It's not about spiders, it's about drapes. Drapes!! Drapes in a psychiatriatic ward no less. Not even Lauren Bacall could save this, but I found it as a nice way to waste 130 minutes of my time. Co-stars Richard Widmark.

Confidential Agent (1945) Decent movie. One of Lauren Bacall's early films and she looks lovely. It takes place during the Spanish Civil War as a man travels to England where he meets quite a few people that prove to be a threat to him. Stupid story really, but I got the basic jest of it and somewhat enjoyed what it had to offer. Co-stars Charles Boyer.

Bacall on Bogart (TV - (1988)) A nice little tribute to Humphrey Bogart hosted by Lauren Bacall. Includes many interviews from people who are dead now.

Private Screening's: Lauren Bacall (2005) Hosted by my TCM mentor Robert Osbourne. He sits down with Bacall discussing how she got her start in Hollywood, her marriage to Bogie, and what she's been doing since.

Spire
02-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Ice Age is the most unoriginal piece of garbage I've ever seen. It's success astounded me.

frodo1511
02-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Ice Age is the most unoriginal piece of garbage I've ever seen. It's success astounded me.

I fucking loved it.
Scrat is worth the price of admission alone, plus, I kinda have a thing for prehistoric animals.

hasselbrad
02-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
It's not like you can go wrong with Kevin Spacey and John Cusack. 7/10

Richard
05-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Obviously I didn't watch all these movies today. Everything I've seen this week, actually.

Young Man With A Horn (1950) Very good. Kirk Douglas plays a man with a passion for the trumpet. I could've swore I had more things to say about this film. Co-stars Lauren Bacall.

The Oklahoma Kid (1939) One of my favorite westerns. James Cagney plays a man who casts revenge on those who hanged his father. Really quick movie. Short too. It also bares some similarity to the conclusion of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. Co-stars Humphrey Bogart.

All The President's Men (1977) Here's the deal. Anyone who paid attention to anything at all relating to the Watergate Scandal during their history classes in high school should at least remember the few basic facts. Which is all I knew. Anyone who previously read books regarding Watergate should've been able to follow this movie quite easy, which doesn't mean I didn't. This film put me right smack down into the start of it all, and it never slowed down, not even when I hoped it would. I had no idea who this Howard Hunt was, and half of the other dozen people mentioned in this movie. Many names, many dates, and "committee this, committee that". But after many moments of confusion (and many rewinding), I finally got the jest of it all. It's a great movie, in my opinion, and it kept me informed. Co-stars Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford.

The Trojan Women (1971) Horrible. But I say that because I wasn't at all familiar with the play or it's history. I doubt anyone who has zero knowledge of it's setting or story will be able to understand the words that come out of these women's mouths. They sound magnificent, but I have no idea what the hell they're saying. It probably is a good movie. Co-stars Katharine Hepburn and Vanessa Redgrave.

The Village (2004) I liked it. Yep, that's right I did! It's a great film to look at too, and it's story is decent. The twist (as so many people hated) was a nice touch, in my opinion. No complaints. Co-stars Bryce Howard and Joaquin Phoenix.

Ladder 49 (2004) Good. It has some pretty intense fire situations. Co-stars John Travolta and Joaquin Phoenix.

frodo1511
05-08-2005, 11:28 PM
The Village (2004) I liked it. Yep, that's right I did! It's a great film to look at too, and it's story is decent. The twist (as so many people hated) was a nice touch, in my opinion. No complaints. Co-stars Bryce Howard and Joaquin Phoenix.

Glad we have something in common.

War of the Worlds for the third time. Can't get enough of this movie.

Scott
06-08-2005, 02:36 AM
I saw Land of the Dead last night, it was average at best

hasselbrad
06-08-2005, 11:57 PM
The Wedding Crashers
Fucking hysterical. That is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Vince Vaughn is really good with the subtle, while being really good with the over the top.
Saw the trailer for Domino beforehand, and I am less apprehensive about it than I was. It's going to be stylish and over the top, but I don't think it'll suck. Certainly not as much as The Transporter 2. Enough with the wires and crazy stunt kicks already, okay?
Also saw the preview for My Name is Earl...coming to you Tuesdays this fall on NBC. Watch it. It looks like it will be hysterical. Jason Lee will make you laugh. I promise.

Keyser_so_so
07-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Try out The Transporter, because seeing the quite fun original will make the imminent sequel seem interesting, that said it all brings back memories of another action franchise gone wrong by number two (xXx, quite fun original, xXx2... well, let's just say the most interesting thing about it is that Ice Cube used to be in NWA).

Off to see The Island on Friday (or Thursday if my local cinema is doing a special preview day for it)...

frodo1511
07-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Independence Day on a brand-new 64'' Widescreen television.

Except for horrendous facial blur in spots, the movie looked amazing.

frodo1511
08-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Dukes of Hazzard

Terrible movie but with some good shots of a Dodge Charger drifting like crazy, and flaming arrows.

Oh, and moonshine.

Richard
08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
From the weekend.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) This film is more popular than I thought. It kinda makes me feel bad when I say it was just ALRIGHT, and I didn't really think of it as anything even remotely special. It started off a little dull but quickly started to get interesting. Some scenes were exhilarating to watch considering when the film was made and how efficient it was shot by director John Frankheimer. I'm gonna watch this movie again, with the hope of catching up with the rest of the world and realizing that 'maybe' this could be one of the best films ever made. Co-stars Frank Sinatra and Laurence Harvey.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) A nice little british comedy starring Alec Guinness. I liked it. Co-stars Stanley Holloway and Sid James.

Murder By Death (1976) A really good black comedy starring Peter Sellers, Alec Guinness, David Niven, Peter Falk, and Truman Capote. It's a spoof on some of the most popular detective films ever made. Such as The Thin Man series with Nick And Nora Charles, but this time, it's Dick and Dora Charleston... getting it now? The comicalness this movie has is so genuine you really have to pay close attention to everything being said to fully understand and appreciate it. **Highly Recommended**

Naked Gun 33 1/3 : The Final Insult (1994) Really bad. Almost forced comedy and really is the last straw for the Naked Gun series. Although pathetic, it does have some nice comic bits, but overall... it just doesn't work. The original is classic.

Christopher Strong (1933) Good. Mediocre at best. It's the first film I've seen Katharine Hepburn die in, which is sad. Not much to say really, she looked great.

Undercurrent (1946) Really good, much better than the above. It offered a different role I wasn't too familiar in seeing someone like Katharine Hepburn play in. Good movie, with good suspenseful moments. Vincente Minnelli made them very effective.

The Lion In Winter (1968) Amazing. Magnificent. I don't care if it was inaccurate or not. I was, at times, laughing more than anything else. It was so witty in a way I wasn't expecting. I really enjoyed it, even when at first I thought I wasn't going to understand a word of it. Hepburn deserved that Oscar.

Dragon Seed (1944) One of my favorite films starring Katharine Hepburn, but it does have a flaw. It's not her appearance that bothered me, but her attempt to sound like a Japanese woman... she didn't really. At times it showed, but I sensed her American accent more times than I should. In one particular scene, when she and her husband are in her room and she blows out a candle, everything is dimmed except a silhouette of both her and her husband. Now, if anyone were to tune into this movie at exactly this point in the film, the viewer will have no idea that Hepburn's character Jade is Japanese. She sounded even like an American during that scene and it bothered me. Although, I may be wrong. For all I know, some Japanese women could sound more like Americans. It's still a great movie, in my opinion. Decent story too.

a ring in return
08-08-2005, 09:27 PM
I saw The Five People You Meet in Heaven on sunday. Pretty good movie, might have been better if I hadn't already read the book though.

Renegade
09-08-2005, 01:36 AM
I saw Better Luck Tomorrow. Well, atleast an hour and 27 minutes of it. This bootleg won't play any further. Anyways, great movie. Speaks a lot of truths about college applications and high school perfectionists.

Jacoby
09-08-2005, 03:05 AM
I saw Cinderella Man today and it wasn't bad. Everyone did a pretty awesome job except Renee Zellwhatjigger.

aznkkfan
09-08-2005, 08:06 PM
The March of the Penguins, hehe

i'm such a little kid. i only watched it for the little penguin chicks. it was good

marine
10-08-2005, 03:24 AM
The Sound of Music, I do love this movie.

My Fair Lady
An American in Paris
Fantastic Four (well I didn't watch them today but a couple days ago).

frodo1511
10-08-2005, 05:29 AM
The Last Samurai

So pissed Ken Watanabe did not get best supporting actor in 2003.

Richard
10-08-2005, 11:25 PM
The Last Samurai

So pissed Ken Watanabe did not get best supporting actor in 2003.

I enjoyed The Last Samurai. It was a surprise hit for me.

Blood Alley (1955) Good movie starring John Wayne and Lauren Bacall.

Thoroughbreds Don't Cry (1937) One of Judy Garland's early films starring opposite Mickey Rooney. It's a nice "G" movie, with some good comic bits. It also features a nice song sung by Judy called "Got a Pair of New Shoes". Co-stars Alfred E. Green and Ronald Sinclair.

Listen, Darling (1938) Another one of Judy's early films, and a nice one at that. It's about two kids, Pinkie and Buzz, who kidnaps Dottie (Pinkie's mother) in their family trailer with the hope of finding her a husband both she and Buzz would like. Co-stars Mary Astor.

The Pirate (1948) A swashbuckling gem starring Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. Kelly plays an actor who falls in love with Judy's character who's engaged to be married. As always, great musical numbers performed by Kelly. The movie is weak in some parts, but the acting by both Garland and Kelly and the direction by Vincente Minelli saved this film.

In The Good Old Summertime (1949) Probably one of the best romantic comedies I've seen in my life. The story follows both Andrew and Veronica (played by Van Johnson and Judy Garland) as they display a constant hatred to each other, but secretly engaged in a romantic anonymous relationship through their local post-office. Co-stars Buster Keaton.

Easter Parade (1948) The best film I've seen starring Fred Astaire. Originally, the lead was offered to Gene Kelly but was given to Astaire at the last minute because Kelly busted his ankle. Regardless, he was great in it. And with Garland alongside... you can't go wrong.

The Harvey Girls (1946) The weakest entry of all the Judy Garland films I watched during TCM's 24-hour marathon. It wasn't entirely bad per say, it just simply lacked what the others had. The songs and dance sequences were more or less forgettable, in my opinion, and the role for Judy wasn't particularly interesting to begin with. She looked great, but she could've been used better. Garland has been known to upstage anyone, and she clearly didn't in this film.

Life Begins For Andy Hardy (1941) This is my first Andy Hardy film I've seen, out of order too, but that didn't matter because it was great. Rooney and Garland are amazing together, and these films are the sparkling examples. It's so 'friendly' in a way you can easily see why these movies were always a success at the box-office during that time. Great movie for any age. Co-stars Lewis Stone and the beautiful Patricia Dane.

Firefox (1982) I don't like aerial combat films. I wouldn't say it was boring, but someone who has no interest in the story, like me, will find it kinda lousy. Up until I saw this movie, I strongly believed I can watch Clint Eastwood in almost anything. That was a swift kick in the groan. Eastwood also directs.

Naked -Mole-Rat
11-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Saw a movie called Brotherhood of the wolf yesterday. Having read much about the infamous Beast of Gevaudan and thinking it a pretty cool enigma, i thought the movie totally sucked ass. It could have been done about a million times better. I don't get why they had to use all that crap martial arts (i love film fighting, but not this stuff). This could have been a really scary film, but it sucks. And as for 'based on a true story'....bullshit. There is not a scrap of conclusive evidence for any of that brotherhood conspiracy-type stuff. But even though it was a crap film, i still kinda enjoyed watching it.

Has anyone else seen it, what did you think? (sorry for anyone that liked it).

Jacoby
11-08-2005, 06:18 AM
I saw Me and You and Everyone We Know. It was a pretty good little independent film. There were a few parts that I found really great and inciteful and beautifully acted and written. We missed the first 15 minutes, which pisses me off, but what we saw I really liked. And there's only one thing I can end this reply with...

...back and forth...forever.

))<>((

Ranman
11-08-2005, 10:53 AM
The other day I watched " When Harry met Sally"
I couldn't believe how much I liked this movie.
I really think Its one of the best movie's I have ever watched.

gracie
11-08-2005, 02:20 PM
this morning i watched that fabulous carey ewes (sp?) and alicia silverstone movie, Crush, which is just amazingly terrifying. Alicia silverstone as a crazy stalker awesome. and Carey has always been a favorite of mine since i was like 4 and saw Princess Bride for the first time.

squirrel
11-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
It's not like you can go wrong with Kevin Spacey and John Cusack. 7/10

actually, you can, in this case. one of the worst movies ever made from a great book. and clint eastwood, too.....totally agree with frodo about batman begins, though.

hasselbrad
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
actually, you can, in this case. one of the worst movies ever made from a great book. and clint eastwood, too.....totally agree with frodo about batman begins, though.

I never read the book. More of a Cusack/Spacey fan.

squirrel
11-08-2005, 04:46 PM
so am i, usually. that's what makes it harder for me to watch a movie when i like the cast/director, etc's previous work (king arthur). you ought to give the book a try, especially if you liked the movie.

hasselbrad
11-08-2005, 05:09 PM
so am i, usually. that's what makes it harder for me to watch a movie when i like the cast/director, etc's previous work (king arthur). you ought to give the book a try, especially if you liked the movie.

I have the book, I just can't find it. *shakes head*
Fuckin' Alzheimers. :err: