PDA

View Full Version : Liam's Renders

Liam
12-07-2005, 03:59 PM
This thread is for me to put some renders I have done in various programs for public viewing. Unless otherwise noted, the renders have not been touched up in Photoshop.

First - my very first Mojoworld render:

iwilltrashyou
12-07-2005, 08:04 PM
schweeeet. don't know much about rendering, but that image looks rather badass.

JackYang
13-07-2005, 05:19 AM
looks petty realistic to me. haha good job!

barrington
13-07-2005, 09:32 AM
S'allright mate, but I much prefer Terragen over this!

Liam
13-07-2005, 10:00 AM
To be honest, so do I. So far.

I've been having a look at the kind of things you can achieve with Mojoworld and the results are stunning. You can add 3D models to your world - giving you trees, boulders etc without having to photoshop them in.

What really makes me love Mojoworld is that rather than creating a single scene like terragen, it creates an entire planet to your specifications. You then add sunlight etc with more scientific parameters - orbit distance and azimuth, for instance. Once you have what you want, you can use a GPS-like lat/long system to go anywhere on the surface of your planet, set a camera, and render. You can even walk along the surface.

Apparently, the planets can be up to 66,000 kilometres in diameter, but that's something I wont be trying on this little old P500.

More renders to come. Might even reinstall terragen.

barrington
13-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Isn't the entire thing just a random fractal renderer though, or can you sculpt stuff or do procedural terrains like TG and Worldmachine? Might have to give this a bash.

Liam
13-07-2005, 12:13 PM
You can do procedural terrains with that flow-chart sort of thing thats in World Machine. I'm just fucking around at present so I'm using whatever random fractals the generator pisses out for me.

If you have a powerful machine (and you do) then try it.

Liam
14-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Fuck - I deleted the post :(

Repost:
@flightfreak: About 3 hours on a P500 with 128MB of RAM. Admittedly I was on IRC etc at the same time, but that shouldnt effect render time too much.

barrington
14-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Shiny, I like that one.
It's a very polished rendering engine, but looks a bit more "plastic" compared to Terragen's often gritty outputs. If we could find a halfway house between the two then its gold.

Liam
14-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Maybe running it through photoshop, sharpening the image and cleaning the edges up a tad would go a little of the way to that holy half way point. I'll fire up photoshop and have a look around.

Edit: Thought I might post this work in progress photoshop only render of Mars.

Keyser_so_so
14-07-2005, 05:13 PM
The last one has a certain brooding evilness about it. Like Anakin in Star Wars Ep.III.

Liam
14-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Latest Mojoworld render. Took 6 hours to complete on high detail with shadows.