PDA

View Full Version : Expecto patronum

frodo1511
11-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Harry Potter @ the Half-Blood Prince.
Saturday
Millions of book sold.
Who's staying up till midnight to get their copy?

My plans:
Catching a matinee of "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" friday.
Waiting in line right after the flick with friends from school.

deviljet88
12-07-2005, 01:38 AM
*drools* I'll read it when everyonelse has , thus freeing up the queue for the book. Don't see much difference in reading it this year or next year before the next book is on sale.

frodo1511
12-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Lately, I've been buying new stuff the day it comes out. Games, CD's, books, you name it. I guess I just don't want to be left out of the loop.

bob
12-07-2005, 05:27 AM
i'll wait for about 6 months when the book is about $29.99 AUD by which time i'll know all the major plotpoints and probably even the ending thanks to everyone else who will undoubtedly be spluttering about it whenever there's a pause in conversation.

i'll be watching the new movie when it comes out though. that doesn't really involve reading.

Liam
12-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Not me.

Scott
12-07-2005, 07:35 AM
I haven't even read the fifth book yet, I'm lazy

Sarah
12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I'll be getting in line at Tesco for midnight on Friday. Cannee wait, man.

Narg
12-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Harry potter sucks balls.

bob
12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
i don't doubt it, but i reckon jk rowling won't provide us with any conclusive evidence til the release of the 7th book.

Ardnax
12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Can't wait!!! I've ordered it, yay!

frodo1511
12-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Well, it got millions of kids reading again, so you have to give it some sort of credit.

Bait
13-07-2005, 06:01 AM
*drools* I'll read it when everyonelse has , thus freeing up the queue for the book. Don't see much difference in reading it this year or next year before the next book is on sale.

haha when you read it can you please read it out loud and record it for me...that way its like the real harry potter (actor anyways) is reading the book to me! :icon_bigg

thanks buddy :icon_beer

Spire
13-07-2005, 06:04 AM
http://www.dspulse.com/images/IGNPIGWHIRL.gif

That's all I have to say about that.

bob
13-07-2005, 07:48 AM
harry potter is as cool as a pig spinning on a bike? cos i don't know about you, but a pig spinning on a bike is pretty damn cool!

frodo1511
13-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Piggy makes me dizzy.

frodo1511
16-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Got the book at midnight-good read. Some good twists, but a bit short.

Ashley
16-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I went and saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night at Kansas City's Country Club Plaza, and apparently there was like a deal where you could go watch the movie and get Harry Potter book right afterwards. I've never seen so many kids dressed as wizard in my life, or Harry Potter glasses either. I tried to get some pictures but there were a lot of people and I think I may have gotten a spell cast on me.

Spire
17-07-2005, 02:14 AM
An interesting article (http://www.kkwavefront.org/burn/spire.htm) on the Harry Potter franchise.

acliff
17-07-2005, 04:00 AM
Just read it, its well dark for a children's book.
Typical penultimate book style, leaves it on a cliff hanger.
Lots of people die.

I have to say, I'm pretty incensed at the ending... I shall remain spoiler free. Unless a spoiler thread is created...

Leonie
17-07-2005, 09:03 AM
I had to disappoint so many Germans who wanted to buy the book yesterday it wasn't funny. The amount of Harry Potters we got in the morning didn't even cover the number of pre-sales the shop I work at had, so anybody hoping to get a copy without having signed up for it somewhere was well and truly screwed.

I haven't read it yet, and I probably won't until the Dutch version comes out (November) or somebody lends me the book. I've got all the Dutch books nicely lined up on a bookshelf at home (except for the Order of the Phoenix, because I'm re-reading that), and I want the 6th copy I buy to nicely fit in there. Unfortunately, I'm not rich enough to buy both. On second thought, I might be. Go go bookshop personel discount. We'll see.

I read this article in... I think it was yesterday's Daily Mail or the Mirror or something, about how J.K. Rowling is actually sick and tired of Harry Potter, which is why it took so long for her to finish this book. It goes on to say that Harry Potter has become a burden, because she has a lot of other book ideas lying in store, but is tied down to writing the seventh Harry Potter book first. This is why she supposedly told her publisher not to hold his breath for the seventh one, as she was going to take her time - a lot of time.

I'm very curious to read The Half-Blood Prince, but I've had to wait so long - I think I can manage waiting till November :) Of course, if anybody feels sorry enough for me to send me a copy, that is OK too :icon_bigg

marine
17-07-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm going to wait until the french version comes out, between fall and winter I guess. I read all the previous ones in French and I'm sure I won't understand the meaning of all the words she invented, moreover the names are different and until then I'll struggle to keep myself away from unwanted spoiler.

Ardnax
17-07-2005, 02:14 PM
I've accidentally already read a spoiler so now I know who dies in the 6th book... Damn!!!! :mad:

Leonie
17-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I've accidentally already read a spoiler so now I know who dies in the 6th book... Damn!!!! :mad:
I know exactly what you mean - thanks Spire. You even put the word wanker to shame.

Spire
17-07-2005, 04:20 PM
You would have found out anyway. Trust me, it's all over the internets, I found it and I don't even check Harry Potter discussions.

Another spoiler (http://pottermilton.ytmnd.com/). (an Office Space joke)

Ardnax
17-07-2005, 04:27 PM
I love that movie! And I've just read an other spoiler... I feel so stupid right now... Damn it.

Leonie
17-07-2005, 05:17 PM
You would have found out anyway. Trust me, it's all over the internets, I found it and I don't even check Harry Potter discussions.

By reading the book, yes.

Perhaps I would have, but why do you think I have avoided any sort of site that could contain spoilers for the last month or so? I've only been going to my regular websites (about five), none of which have anything to do with Harry Potter. If you are going to post something like that, at least warn people about it being a big fat spoiler. Or about it being a big fat spoiler before I meddled with your post :icon_razz

It is not up to you to decide whether I would have found out anyway or not, nor is it funny to ruin something people have been looking forward to for so long, k? I for one am currently unsure of whether I will bother reading it now - I'm guessing the spoilee was the main event in the book, so there's no use, is there?

Here's a big unsincere thank you to Spire.

Ardnax
17-07-2005, 05:20 PM
I totally agree with Leonie. It's nothing funny about destroying things for others.

Spire
17-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Darth Vader is my hero. (http://www.kkwavefront.org/burn/spire.htm)

Ardnax
17-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Damn!!! Now you spoiled the whole damn Star Wars saga for me!!! :p But I ain't clicking that link!

Leonie
17-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Damn!!! Now you spoiled the whole damn Star Wars saga for me!!! :p But I ain't clicking that link!

Oh click away, I wouldn't worry about it :icon_bigg

Haha. See, I laughed at your joke. Now quit it, Spire.

Ardnax
17-07-2005, 05:47 PM
You rock Leonie! :icon_bigg

Jacoby
17-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. And the music was catchy.

My favorite YMNTD thing is the "what's happening at YMNTD right now" one, or whatever.

The only good thing about Harry Potter is watching that girl grow into a beautiful woman. Okay, that was a little gross, sorry.

Ardnax
17-07-2005, 06:19 PM
That girl? Do you mean Emma Watson aka Hermione? Cause she is beautiful.

frodo1511
17-07-2005, 09:51 PM
I was greatly suprised at how dark the series has become since the 4th book. While it has not affected me significantly, I can see little kiddies being affected by the 6th book. I'm glad that the new book is not 1000 pages long, but it's not too short.

Now we just have to wait 10 years for the final book, seeing as how Rowling is getting sick and tired making millions of dollars every year.

Sarah
17-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I finished the book on Saturday. I loved it. Cannnnot wait for the final book. It is going to be incredible.

Everyone here hurry up and finish the book as I want to discuss about it.

Spire
18-07-2005, 04:22 AM
I thought it was pretty funny. And the music was catchy.

My favorite YMNTD thing is the "what's happening at YMNTD right now" one, or whatever.

The only good thing about Harry Potter is watching that girl grow into a beautiful woman. Okay, that was a little gross, sorry.

This (http://linkfindsawtf.ytmnd.com/) is the latest one to make me laugh.

Jacoby
18-07-2005, 04:38 AM
This (http://linkfindsawtf.ytmnd.com/) is the latest one to make me laugh.

Definitely, haha. The audio clip at the end makes it.

Remember when Harry Potter did all that magic and then didn't think he would get himself into trouble, but then did get into trouble, then beat the big bad guy and found out that the bad guy was someone he didn't expect? That was so awesome. Onsombles Ridonkulous!

Leonie
18-07-2005, 07:49 AM
I finished the book on Saturday. I loved it. Cannnnot wait for the final book. It is going to be incredible.

Everyone here hurry up and finish the book as I want to discuss about it.

I suppose you could discuss it as much as you like, in a different thread named "*SPOILERS* Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" or something :icon_bigg
All this to protect the innocent foreigners who are anxiously awaiting their translation. *coughmecough*

deviljet88
18-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Please, let there be a geek out there, who has scanned the entire book (or typed it out) so it is freely avaliable to download. It is morally correct to share literature with even the most impoverished... Yeah lame excuse, but I cbf borrowing it still and chances are, tomorrow being first day of school, its going to be spoilers everywhere...

Sarah
19-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I read this article in... I think it was yesterday's Daily Mail or the Mirror or something, about how J.K. Rowling is actually sick and tired of Harry Potter, which is why it took so long for her to finish this book. It goes on to say that Harry Potter has become a burden, because she has a lot of other book ideas lying in store, but is tied down to writing the seventh Harry Potter book first. This is why she supposedly told her publisher not to hold his breath for the seventh one, as she was going to take her time - a lot of time.

Thats completely untrue. J.K.Rowling loves writing the books, thats clear when you see her in interviews. She refers to it as ''her baby'' and that she enjoys writing them. The things that are slowing her writing are her children. She has a newborn child and has to put them first.

She said she's half happy and half sad about coming to the end of the series. Seems as though journalists are twisting everything that J.K. is saying, which they do with everyone. :(

Leonie
22-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't know... In a few of the interviews I've seen, she seems a little snappy and tired of the Potter craze. To be fair, if it were true, I'd find it totally understandable. Other writers write a bestselling book, and then move on to the next one. She has had to write seven bestselling books on the same topic, making sure they kept exceeding everyone's expectations. Not an easy job. I'd assume that in the mean time, she has thought of other stories she wants to tell, yet all the world seems to want from her is more Harry Potter. Sounds like it could get a little frustrating. Having said that, I'm sure she really does enjoy the whole magic world she's created - the books wouldn't be as brilliant if she detested writing them, would they? :) You can tell a lot of precision and care for detail went into the books, and which bored-of-Harry writer could be bothered with that? :)

marine
22-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm going to wait until the french version comes out, between fall and winter I guess. I read all the previous ones in French and I'm sure I won't understand the meaning of all the words she invented, moreover the names are different and until then I'll struggle to keep myself away from unwanted spoiler.

forget about that. My father and his girlfriend came back from their vacations and they got me the book in English. So I'll be done with it by sunday.