PDA

View Full Version : Cricket, anyone?

Sarah
01-07-2005, 07:11 PM
OK so I'm being dragged to a cricket match soon... erm, the ashes or something like that?

I've tried countless times to understand the rules, could anyone give me some idea how it works?

Liam
01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Lucky girl. I havent been able to follow cricket and/or the lead up to the ashes so I wouldnt be able to predict a winner. I still think that England will struggle to match Australia, but it definitely wont be as one sided as before.

The Ashes is the best known Test series. Its a 5 day game; each side bats twice and faces a technically unlimited number of overs (6 deliveries). A test game is much more strategic - the batsmen generally won't attempt any shot that is risky. Instead they will wait until the bowler gives them a dodgy ball that they can slam through the field without any significant risk.

At the same time, the bowlers try to bowl a certain line, which cramps the batsman and forces him to play. In that situation the batsman will often clip the ball with the edge of the bat and be caught by the wicketkeeper or one of the slips fielders. A batsman can also be out if the ball strikes his body and the umpire rules that the ball would have gone on to hit the stumps.

There are a few less important rules: the bowler may not bowl more than two balls per over which bounce above the batsman's head, that sort of thing.

A good score to be competitive against Australia in a test match innings (one team's batting score) would be around 400-450. Anything less than that will be chased down quite easily, allowing Australia to build a lead. The opposition will get a second shot at batting, but they are on the back foot because they have to overhaul the Australian lead, then build a lead big enough to defend.

It should be a bloody good series anyhow. I'm hoping the BBC broadcast it, or I'll miss it.

duckula
01-07-2005, 09:55 PM
The coverage is on Channel 4, unlucky mate. Should be on the radio though.

Liam
01-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Fuck.

Eurosport, be my saviour.

Digital_Ice
01-07-2005, 10:47 PM
can you not get ch4?

Liam
01-07-2005, 10:49 PM
No, just BBC1 and 2 and BBC World.

Cruel world.

Digital_Ice
01-07-2005, 10:51 PM
thats a bitch... you not got sky or anything??

you'll get to see the highlights on the bbc (ooh fun!)

PhoeniX
02-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm going to the Ashes too

Day 3 England Austalia at Lords and I'm trying to go to the Oval aswell.

deviljet88
03-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Whoohooo, I get to watch the Ashes on SBS... Good on Channel Nine. England drew Australia one day last night I think at 196 runs. Australia's doing shit, hoping their test form is better for The Ashes.