PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are rooting for Maria Sharapova?

Meteora
27-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I know I am. And I don't even like to watch tennis. Hell, I don't even know what's going on at Wimble right now.

Andy Roddick is cool on the men's side because he has something to do with Omaha, which I have a distant association with. I it's Roddick I'm thinking of, anyway.

Back on topic, go Maria.

And since we're talking about boring sports, we should go ahead mention that Wie chick in golf. Fifteen years old and kicking ass? How crazy is that? And there are two other teenagers playing well too, if I remember correctly. Poor Annika 'Tiger' Sorenstam.

Haha, no I can't really feel sorry for her. She's dominated a lot previously.

frodo1511
27-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I AM!!!

Women's tennis: Maria all the way

Men's tennis: A-Rod

Women's golf: Michelle Wie

acliff
27-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I AM!!!

Women's tennis: Maria all the way

Men's tennis: A-Rod

Women's golf: Michelle Wie

Maria Sharapova, because I can't stop imagining how loud she would be in bed.
And that, my friends, is an engaging thought.

It would be a travesty is Roger Federer didn't win, as he is perhaps the greatest all round tennis player the game has ever produced, he is a tennis god, and deserves to win 3 in a row, if not more. He's much more fun to watch than Sampras, and therefore on those grounds alone he should rule the tennis world.

Andy Roddick is an upstart with a huge serve. Then again, Federer is one of the best serve returners I have ever seen. That would be an interesting final.... Federer's serves, while not as fast, are just as deadly....

And in golf, anyone Korean.

In Football (or soccer) I am now die hard fan of Manchester united, on the condition that Park Ji-Sung gets his work permit. And they will win.

duckula
28-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I'd like to be rooting Maria Sharapova. Tall, blonde and talented, if she was funny she would be perfect.

Charlie
28-06-2005, 12:53 AM
I would be there to watch here live if i could.

frodo1511
28-06-2005, 04:12 AM
Maria Sharapova, because I can't stop imagining how loud she would be in bed.
And that, my friends, is an engaging thought.

You, Cliff, just moved up a notch.

Leonie
28-06-2005, 06:41 AM
Hee. No I am not. I'd be rooting for Davenport who I'm sure you'll find less attractive. She's a heaps better player though, and guess what, she didn't break the 100dB barrier, thus officially screaming louder than a police siren. Heh. Anastasia Myskina will do too.

As for the men, Andy Roddick is an arrogant, childish prick of a tennis player, who I hope will get a severe beating very soon. Whether that's on court or off court, I don't care.

Hopefully by Sebastien Grosjean though, because it would be awesome if he made it to the finals, or at least past that pathetic inflated ego of Roddick. Realistically, unless Hewitt invents supertennis, Federer will win. Lleyton would be the only one I see capable of stopping Roger this time.

And I don't watch golf.

Liam
28-06-2005, 07:14 AM
The sad fact of the matter is that most tennis matches these days are completely unwatchable, and the womens is worse than the mens. This horrible screaming, grunting and showboating means that I can only watch most games with the sound off. Yes, Sharapova is nice to watch with the sound off. As long as one of the Williams monsters doesnt win, I'm happy.

I don't have that big a problem with Andy Roddick. I watched his last game and the way he dug deep and produced top class tennis when he really needed to was admirable. Unfortunately for him, apart from his service game he really isnt that far above average - and sooner or later he will go the way of other big servers, like Mark Philippoussis. Capable of beating anyone in the world on his day, but injury keeps him out of the game.

I *do* however, have a problem with Federer. Cliff is right - he is a tennis God - but he has an ego as big as his trophy cabinet and has a whopping great attitude problem to match. I'd like to see him get to the final and be whipped senseless in it, but its unlikely. Who can beat him? Lleyton Hewitt could possibly beat him - he has incredible stamina and willpower and refuses to give up. He is also lightning quick around the court and is one of the best returners in the game. I don't think Roddick has the all round class to beat Federer - He won't be terribly troubled by the Roddick serve and holds all the cards in the other areas of the game.

Guess I'm cheering for Hewitt, then.

barrington
28-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Sharapova can wrap those legs round my face any time.
That's the general vibe in my all-male IT department. We watch Wimbledon instead of doing work.

hasselbrad
28-06-2005, 12:52 PM
I'd like to root Maria Sharapova. Does that count? :D
In women's golf, I'd take Morgan Pressel over Michelle Wie. She is nails, and if not for a lucky birdie by Birdie, she would have won the U.S. Women's Open...at seventeen!

Renegade
28-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't watch much tennis but when I do, I root for that left-handed european guy (Nadal?). I think he won some title some time ago. Plus, I think he's still a teen which means we'll be seeing him for a long long time.

Maria Sharapova is gifted in so many ways. Does she scream and groan when she plays?

Leonie
28-06-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't watch much tennis but when I do, I root for that left-handed european guy (Nadal?). I think he won some title some time ago. Plus, I think he's still a teen which means we'll be seeing him for a long long time.

Maria Sharapova is gifted in so many ways. Does she scream and groan when she plays?
Yes, Rafael Nadal would happen to have won 'some title' a while ago. It's also known as Roland Garros, one of the four Grand Slams :icon_razz

Does Maria scream and groan? Does the earth rotate? Yes. She screams louder than police sirens, and that is a fact. At Wimbledon, a few days ago, she managed to get to 101dB. A police siren gets to 100dB.

As for Federer... I can't say I met the guy, but I was sort of.. in the players' lounge when he walked past after losing a match to his later that day doubles partner, and all I can say is that Max Mirnyi was a very brave man, turning his back. Federer keeps a neutral face until the doors shut behind him, and then he turns into a little prick who can't deal with losing. Seriously, the facial expression change is.. amazing. If the tennis thing doesn't work, he could always try acting. In fact, it was so bad Max Mirnyi didn't have the guts to sign my shirt (nor that of the other guests there), for fear of incuring Federer's wrath. This in itself makes him a wanker: not only did he not give me an autograph, he also cost me one. Wanker.

acliff
28-06-2005, 10:33 PM
To be honest, if I was a world class tennis player I'd be an arrogant prick and I wouldn't be ashamed to be so. You won't get to the top unless you push your weight. You won't get to the top if you're not intensely disappointed by losing games. You won't get to the top if you don't have utmost, unerring confidence in your own abilities. Which makes you arrogant.

If I was at wimbledon, I wouldn't concede defeat gracefully. I wouldn't say 'he was better than me' and put myself into that frame of mind. In a game when mental power and endurance is just as important as skill, I wouldn't be satisfied with losing. Federer, arrogant after winning 2 wimbledons and being seeded number 1 in the world? Say it ain't so!! Especially in non team based sports, there isn't anyone but yourself to rely on. Tennis is therefore undoubtably full of arrogant twats. Its the ones who deserve to be arrogant that I have respect for.

I would dearly love to see Sampras in his prime, vs Federer now.

On the topic of sharapova, she's cute as a button. She screams, grunts and moans louder than anyone else. She has legs to die for. From the sounds of her she could hold up a fairly intelligent conversation. And shes talented. Very talented. And the grunts are a very sneaky, although apparently subconcious way of putting off your opponent. We all know that shouting makes you hit harder. Shes getting loads of stick because of the noises she makes while in action (from my 'stick' if you catch my drift)
*shrugs*
At the very least, she is a fresh injection into the stagnant world of women's tennis. And counters the fact that Mauresmo, and the William's sisters look like men.

Federer plays beautifully. Awe inspiring play.

On another topic, Andy Murray is really impressing, but he needs to get rid of them chicken legs. Needs to do more interval training, pack on about 10-20 lb of muscle, and practice his rally closing skills. 40 stroke rallys for a point get tiring after the 10th one.

frodo1511
29-06-2005, 03:12 AM
I liked it when NBC had highlights of John McEnroe playing in a double's match. He can still serve over 100mph.Easily.

Leonie
29-06-2005, 06:39 AM
If I was at wimbledon, I wouldn't concede defeat gracefully. I wouldn't say 'he was better than me' and put myself into that frame of mind. In a game when mental power and endurance is just as important as skill, I wouldn't be satisfied with losing. Federer, arrogant after winning 2 wimbledons and being seeded number 1 in the world? Say it ain't so!! Especially in non team based sports, there isn't anyone but yourself to rely on. Tennis is therefore undoubtably full of arrogant twats. Its the ones who deserve to be arrogant that I have respect for.

Actually, me 'meeting' him was two years ago, before he'd won Wimbledon at all :icon_razz He was just an up and coming player, who was likely to beat Max Mirnyi. Only then the crowd decided to support the underdog. Which was much fun, because the blokes sitting next to me were all "Go Federer!", and me and my friend would clap for Mirnyi. The look on their faces when I was allowed to go 'backstage'... Muahahaha. Priceless.

Federer? I just don't like him. I'll admit he's good, perfect almost, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. He's got no sense of humour on court, and occasionally behaves like a four year old. Sure, his tennis is worthy of respect, but his attitude isn't always. He sometimes 'pulls a Roddick' :icon_razz

I'm stubborn and competitive, but I try not to get carried away too much. Being a good sport includes being a good loser. You don't have to like it, but is it too much to ask to just bear it like a man? (or woman in my case :icon_bigg) I *hate* losing, but it happens. Get over yourself and focus on the next thing.

As for Sharapova... from a totally straight perspective, I don't find her all that pretty. Which makes the f*cking noise even harder to bear. Go go Davenport.

Keyser_so_so
29-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Isn't the grunting a lot of tennis players make annoying? I mean, it's alright on shots when you really whack the shit out of it, but on every hit?!?

Still, I'm sure it's nice for all the drooling males out there... And yes, Cliff, that was a rather engaging thought...

deviljet88
29-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Isn't the grunting a lot of tennis players make annoying? I mean, it's alright on shots when you really whack the shit out of it, but on every hit?!?

Still, I'm sure it's nice for all the drooling males out there... And yes, Cliff, that was a rather engaging thought...
Yeah, annoying enough to still turn on a guy and distract the opponent who's a female. Rather useful don't you think.

acliff
29-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Actually, me 'meeting' him was two years ago, before he'd won Wimbledon at all :icon_razz He was just an up and coming player, who was likely to beat Max Mirnyi. Only then the crowd decided to support the underdog. Which was much fun, because the blokes sitting next to me were all "Go Federer!", and me and my friend would clap for Mirnyi. The look on their faces when I was allowed to go 'backstage'... Muahahaha. Priceless.

Federer? I just don't like him. I'll admit he's good, perfect almost, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. He's got no sense of humour on court, and occasionally behaves like a four year old. Sure, he's tennis is worthy of respect, but his attitude isn't always. He sometimes 'pulls a Roddick' :icon_razz

I'm stubborn and competitive, but I try not to get carried away too much. Being a good sport includes being a good loser. You don't have to like it, but is it too much to ask to just bear it like a man? (or woman in my case :icon_bigg) I *hate* losing, but it happens. Get over yourself and focus on the next thing.

As for Sharapova... from a totally straight perspective, I don't find her all that pretty. Which makes the f*cking noise even harder to bear. Go go Davenport.

From a totally straight perspective, I find her totally bangable. You're a girl, and therefore its understandable that you used the term 'pretty'. The difference between attractive and pretty is a world apart :)

Davenport is an ogre. When she plays it looks like a giant lumbering over a field swatting things out of the sky.

Leonie
29-06-2005, 08:39 PM
From a totally straight perspective, I find her totally bangable. You're a girl, and therefore its understandable that you used the term 'pretty'. The difference between attractive and pretty is a world apart :)

Davenport is an ogre. When she plays it looks like a giant lumbering over a field swatting things out of the sky.
Right, so it's "close your eyes and go for it!" then? :icon_razz

Seriously, she's got a body to kill and/or die for, but the face? nah. Davenport? Yes, ugly, but also an awesome sport. And she's quiet. I realise there is a difference between attractive and pretty (or at least, I think I do), but girls can be both, and she isn't is all I'm saying. Now, as I am a girl, and in no way attracted to other girls, the only thing I'd be looking at is the prettiness factor, mostly out of jealousy (come on, that's what girls do) :icon_razz Sharapova? Not pretty.

Also.. Sharapova and a conversation? Have you by any chance watched any of the press conferences? Tee hee. :icon_razz

acliff
29-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Right, so it's "close your eyes and go for it!" then? :icon_razz

Seriously, she's got a body to kill and/or die for, but the face? nah. Davenport? Yes, ugly, but also an awesome sport. And she's quiet. I realise there is a difference between attractive and pretty (or at least, I think I do), but girls can be both, and she isn't is all I'm saying. Now, as I am a girl, and in no way attracted to other girls, the only thing I'd be looking at is the prettiness factor, mostly out of jealousy (come on, that's what girls do) :icon_razz Sharapova? Not pretty.

Also.. Sharapova and a conversation? Have you by any chance watched any of the press conferences? Tee hee. :icon_razz

Well she'd make better conversation, than someone like, lets say Mauresmo. *shiver*

Leonie
30-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Am I the only one who suspects Amelie Mauresmo and Andy Roddick are twins of whom the tags got swapped? Mauresmo looks like a man, Andy is a girl...

http://www.tennnis.com/mauresmo/p_am/passpic.jpg http://www.tennis.info/images/Roddick3/821C5879.jpg

(I'll try and find a better picture of Roddick to go with this, but come on... the jawline, the bush eyebrows, the receding hairline... Bit of a shame that Amelie Mauresmo is a more admirable man than Andy Roddick.)

Kelsey
30-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I was rooting for Sharapova a few days ago when I knew what was going on. Now I have no clue.

Dionysus
01-07-2005, 01:57 AM
she got beaten by one of the williams sisters (wasnt paying much attention to the telly, just saw she got beaten)

i was rooting for her (and would like to root her, obviously :D)
shes quite entertaining to watch

Leonie
01-07-2005, 10:02 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad Venus Williams won. She's as good as it gets, as far as the last name of Williams combined with lady's tennis goes.

The match was crazy. They were both making a racket, though obviously, no one beats Miss Maria in the screaming department. She got beaten quite thoroughly tennis-wise, which was surprising, to say the least. 7-6, 6-1 is quite a severe loss.