PDA

View Full Version : Books to Film

Ashley
23-06-2005, 10:06 PM
So after reading The Da Vinci Code... which I seem to be in the majority on the board here in saying that I thought it was brilliant.... anyway, I am stoked for the movie to come out, unfortunately I have quite a wait...May 19th 2006 to give an exact date. Thinking about this movie and my antcipation I thought what if it turns into a huge disappointment and the screen writer completely effs it up? Months of waiting could be in vain as the movie could, frankly... blow. Even though the cast to me seems near dead on.
With that I ask you, what do you guys think? Not just about this, even though that seems to be the most prominent adaptaion right now.
But past books, Lord of the Rings did okay.

Jacoby
23-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Movie adaptations are odd things. I always wish that the screenwriter doesn't change anything to the story. Sometimes the alterations work, but most of the time they don't.
I hate when they change around dialogue or the action of the story. The stories that are usually adapted are acclaimed, and they're praised for a reason. For example, I was looking at the Sin City comics recentely and I noticed that the movie follows the comics (at least the few pages I looked through) dead on. "She smells like angels oughta smell" is in the comic, and they didn't change it for the movie. That's a good adaptation. Sure, if you do it word for word, it's no fun for the writer, but they should have their fun with original screenplays.
I can understand when a writer would change something that wouldn't work on screen. Richard Matheson's What Dreams May Come has so much information and content that can only be described in words, it would have been impossible to present that on the big screen. They would have had to spell out everything that was going on in the film, and that wouldn't have been great. What Dreams May Come's ending was very close to the book, by the way.

As for Da Vinci Code, I think it could go either way when it hits theatres. I could see them cutting short the cultist's story, and focusing on Langdon. I hope they do that because Audrey Tautou plays Sophie and I'd like to see her on the screen as much as possible. As long as they keep the puzzles in the novel interesting, I don't see how they can fuck this one up. I can be surprised, though, that's for sure.

Ashley
23-06-2005, 10:54 PM
I get nervous when I read reports of a guy cast as a "tech-wiz" who helps Langdon with a palm pilot.... I read of no such palm pilot.
There's been a lot of crap for the casting of Tom Hanks as Langdon and Audrey Tautou as Sophie... although I don't know why. I didn't have to stretch too hard to imagine them in their roles. The casting of Audrey made me happy, she rocks, and I've always had a little crush on Tom Hanks. Although Teabing played by Ian McKellen... don't think of him as portly.

Anyway, as much as I trust Ron Howard.... I'm hoping this isn't like The Shining. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie but it did NOT follow the book. Except that they were in a hotel and Jack goes nuts.... that's about it. Then you get the made for TV movies which go by the book and it's just not the same... God that kid had big lips.....am I the only one who has seen that? Oh Christ and It! For Gods sakes It... what a LET DOWN!

deviljet88
24-06-2005, 12:35 AM
It'll be a success and that's all they care about.

Dionysus
24-06-2005, 01:57 AM
it can sometimes work well, and sometimes it is just shit

LOTR was OK, but too much was left out, i think they should have made 6 movies instead of 3, and each going for about 2 1/2 hours or something, then they could get more info in

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a VERY good adaptation from book to screen, it is Johnny Depp's best role IMO, and it keeps to the book well and if anything, enhances the book, and Terry Gilliam does a great job to make itseem so real

The Great Escape is an example of a BAD adaptation, most of it is pretty good but Steve McQueen RUINS it, he made them change the story to make him a big star, and he also SURVIVED obviously
and they make it out like they couldnt have made the tunnel without the americans but by the time the tunnel was finished, the few americans that did help on very simple levels were transfered from the main compound. if they'd made a movie strait from the book, t would have been more exciting, the real story is far better than theyre hollywood version

Jacoby
24-06-2005, 02:42 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention the best ever adaptation. Stir of Echoes is probably the best I've seen. Like Dionysus said about Fear and Loathing, I think the adaptation perfected the story. The book was very good, I mean, I am a Matheson whore, but the movie slightly altered the story to create more tension, and added a few events as well. For anyone who has seen it -and you all should see it- the part where the main character sees "DIG" on the screen was not in the book. That was my favorite part of the story, and it wasn't even in the novel! But yes, I believe Matheson worked on the film. It was still the author's ideas and changes, but it was beautifully adapted.

Leonie
24-06-2005, 06:35 AM
There is one book of which the movie adaptation is actually tonnes better, and that would be Madame Bovary. Originally written by Gustave Flaubert, it is written with minute details that drive the reader absolutely nuts. Someone asked me what I thought of the book at the bookshop I work at yesterday, and I sorta... had to politely say that I thought the story was beautiful, but the writing was crap. Want to know the story, but not go through boring descriptions of hats and hats and hats? Watch this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102368/) film.

Kelsey
24-06-2005, 08:51 AM
I thought the DaVinci Code was unbelievable overrated, which a hugely disappointing ending. With the exception of Ron Howard and Brian Grazer working at the helm, I find Tom Hanks (as much as I like him) all wrong for this character. All wrong. Akiva Goldsman is attached to the script, and since he*s a hit or miss, could be either way with the film also. I don*t know why I*m bitching though...If I were the producer that somehow managed to get a hold of these rights, I would probably at least considered Tom Hanks request to be a part of this film, and then I*d be happy as I rqked in the billions of dollars this film is going to make.

Scott
24-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I'll wait for the DVD, not a Tom Hanks fan at all and I'll be damned if I'll fork out $10 to see a movie with him in it.

I also think that Hanks wasn't a very good choice for Langdon, if they want to be stupid with the casting they should get Sylvester Stallone.

hasselbrad
24-06-2005, 12:15 PM
There is one book of which the movie adaptation is actually tonnes better, and that would be Madame Bovary. Originally written by Gustave Flaubert, it is written with minute details that drive the reader absolutely nuts. Someone asked me what I thought of the book at the bookshop I work at yesterday, and I sorta... had to politely say that I thought the story was beautiful, but the writing was crap. Want to know the story, but not go through boring descriptions of hats and hats and hats? Watch this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102368/) film.

Ditto Forrest Gump. The book really got to be tedious, and if you think Forrest did a lot of things in the movie...read the book.

Keyser_so_so
24-06-2005, 12:38 PM
May the 19th? That's a bit pretentious and self-assured, releasing it on the general-Star Wars release date. I guess they reckon now that the saga has finished in the cinemas (till 3-D, apparantly), they can come and squat in the date that has been very much Star Wars-odoured for a long time.

Or perhaps it's just because the 19th is the Friday, rendering the above shit enitirely stupid. Yes, that will be it.

Kelsey
24-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I doubt their chosen release date has anything to do with Star Wars. Mid May kicks off the summer release season. Plus, it*s just a tentative release date. I don*t think they*re even done filming yet; anything can happen or need to be reshot between now and then.

Leonie
24-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Ditto Forrest Gump. The book really got to be tedious, and if you think Forrest did a lot of things in the movie...read the book.

I suppose there's still hope for the Da Vinci Code movie then. Go go Tom Hanks :icon_bigg

hasselbrad
24-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I suppose there's still hope for the Da Vinci Code movie then. Go go Tom Hanks :icon_bigg

My mama always said solvin' internashynull mysteries was like a box of chawklits.

Ashley
24-06-2005, 05:16 PM
I doubt their chosen release date has anything to do with Star Wars. Mid May kicks off the summer release season. Plus, it*s just a tentative release date. I don*t think they*re even done filming yet; anything can happen or need to be reshot between now and then.

Actually they haven't started... they start June 30th. Anyway, the only thing they got so far is a teaser trailer that sony made.

Mags and I had a conversation on the casting last night. I was trying to fully convince myself that Hanks will do a good job... I think I did it somewhat well... mental images of the last well... chapter of the book are disturbing to say the least. Otherwise, I think he'll do fine. He's a fantastic actor who nearly morphs into his roles. I have faith.

On a non Da Vinci related subject:
Who's excited for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? I read that book a long time ago but I can't really remember details.

frodo1511
24-06-2005, 08:04 PM
On a non Da Vinci related subject:
Who's excited for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? I read that book a long time ago but I can't really remember details.

I'm seeing it on the 15th of July, then getting in line for the next Harry Potter release.

I'm very excited for War of the Worlds. The book was great, and from what I've heard, the movie is truly overpowering.

Kelsey
25-06-2005, 09:49 AM
See, they haven*t even started filming yet. The last issue of The Hollywood Reporter I saw was before I left which was...holy shit, almost a month ago! Anyways, I*ll be surprised and impressed if they can get that out by May 19 and it*s still a good movie. Though if Spielberg thinks he*s going to get his Munich project done for a Christmas release and the upcoming Oscar season then I guess anything is possible.

Meteora
27-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Bourne Identity.

Awesome film adaptation. The movies were awesome, and the books were good too.