PDA

View Full Version : Books

Atvar
08-06-2005, 01:22 AM
I was looking through my book collection tonight (trying to find my war of the worlds book), and i found an obscure book i forgot i had. The full title being "The Eco Wars A Laymans Guide To The Ecology Movement", i read it when i was 8 and i have just found it. That probably explains my liking of the Centre for Alternative Technology.

frodo1511
08-06-2005, 03:13 AM
uhhh, I bought "The Chronicles of Narnia" the other day...

Digital_Ice
08-06-2005, 05:30 AM
i havn't read a book in bloody ages.... maybe i'll read "the salmon of doubt"... its been sitting on my shelf for ages... and i've never read it

Leonie
08-06-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm reading Juno & Juliet by Julian Gough. Again. It's one of my favourite books ever. I've also started Elizabeth Costello by J. Coetzee. In addition to those two, I'm halfway through Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. Leonie likes books, yes.

frodo1511
08-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I pre-ordered the new Harry Potter book-going up @ midnigt to get it with a couple friends.

Liam
08-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Currently reading: The Most Dangerous Enemy by Dr. Stephen Bungay.

Must reading for aviation enthusiasts like myself.

Richard
08-06-2005, 07:03 PM
'The Private World of Katharine Hepburn' by John Bryson.

This is my third book I've read on Hepburn.

Jacoby
08-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Just finished Michael Crichton's Sphere. It was really awesome. I'm starting I am Legend tonight. Another book by Richard Matheson, yes. He is dear to me.

Atvar
08-06-2005, 10:21 PM
I got another book to finish before i read the echo wars one. "Planet Simpson How a cartoon masterpiece documented an era and defined a generation". It may take me a while its about 500 pages long.

Dionysus
09-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Im reading a book on Stalingrad
its not bad, fucking nazis, fucking commies

frodo1511
09-06-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm halfway through "Rainbow 6". Fucking awesome book if you like swearing, guns, killing terrorists, guns, MOUT exercises, more guns, and deadly virus'.

Did I mention it has lots of guns?

deviljet88
09-06-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm halfway through "Rainbow 6". Fucking awesome book if you like swearing, guns, killing terrorists, guns, MOUT exercises, more guns, and deadly virus'.

Did I mention it has lots of guns?
Odd, you read books I read last year...

Currently reading sections of an Oxford classical music history book, need to study for my piano exam ekk.

frodo1511
09-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Odd, you read books I read last year...

It's my dads, and it has been in his office for the longest time. I probably would've read it earlier, but he always forgot about it.

Mags
10-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Ssshhh...I'm re-reading the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants trilogy.

Other than that...stuff I've been reading. I started reading Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk, but I kept reading it while I was eating meals, which was a horrific combination. I re-read two of the Anne of Green Gables books, because they're classic. Um...the new Ruth Reichl...she's the editor in chief of Gourmet magazine...a book by Pamie called Why Girls Are Weird...and...random stuff. I have a lot of time to read at work sometimes and that's what I do between calls.

All mostly light summer reading. I'm considering re-reading Trinity by Leon Uris, but I think I left it up at school in storage. Oops.

Renegade
10-06-2005, 03:06 AM
I read Albert Camus' The Stranger for school and I ended up really liking it. I liked it cus it drew some comparisons to American Beauty, one of my favorite films. The first half is a bit boring but the last 20 pages are really thought-provoking.

Ashley
14-06-2005, 01:43 AM
I read The Five People You Meet In Heaven a few months ago that was a really good book. It made me think about who I have affected and not known it or who has affected me.
Also, I read All But My Life which was AMAZING. It was extremely moving... fantastic book.

Richard
14-06-2005, 09:31 PM
I didn't know 'The Private World of Katharine Hepburn' was a picture book. It's nice though. Big too.

marine
16-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm reading zadie Smith's "the autograph man", which is not bad, but for the first time in ages I actually have to forced myself to end a book.

DragonRat
18-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Currently reading Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City and David Sedaris' Barrel Fever. Perhaps I should also try and finish up Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being while I'm at it.

frodo1511
18-06-2005, 03:48 AM
How's the Da Vinci Code? I've heard mixed reviews, and mom has the book.

Jacoby
18-06-2005, 04:22 PM
How's the Da Vinci Code? I've heard mixed reviews, and mom has the book.

Worth the read, I think. I enjoyed it. Then my sister lent me her copy of Angels & Demons and I had to stop reading because it was the same exact story. Just different setting and different characters.

doubly
19-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Jacoby, I am Legend was my favorite Matheson book. Hunted Pat Reason was another of his books that's totally crazy.

Rainbow Six is good, but my favorite Clancy novel was The Cardinal of the Kremlin.

Currently, I'm reading The Oligarchs about the Russsian billionaires who got rich quick following Communism's collapse. It's really interesting. I think that one of them even owned Manchester United.

Da Vinici Code is good, but so overhyped. People take it for so much more than it is, which is fiction.

For those wanting a taste of homegrown American uprightness, Gilead slows you down to enjoy life, and is the best book I've read in awhile.

frodo1511
19-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Worth the read, I think. I enjoyed it. Then my sister lent me her copy of Angels & Demons and I had to stop reading because it was the same exact story. Just different setting and different characters.

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Bought 1776 yesteday, should be a good read.

Charlie
20-06-2005, 03:49 AM
I just read Michael Crichton's State of Fear last week. Like all of his novels, quite suspenful and full of hyped-up science. But it was still good book, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it into a movie.

Ashley
20-06-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm reading The Da Vinci Code now. True it's "fiction" but all the stuff it's based on is true. I've now watched countless history channel docs on the book and if it's real. I have Angels and Demons but my roommate wants to read Helter Skelter after I finish this and she will only read it if I read it at the same time.... that book is crazy and true.

Jacoby
20-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm reading The Da Vinci Code now. True it's "fiction" but all the stuff it's based on is true.

Dan Brown is only proving Da Vinci's beliefs. He's proving someone's opinion.

Leonie
20-06-2005, 08:22 PM
The Da Vinci Code? It was entertaining enough, but I figured out half the plot by the time I finished the first few introductory chapters, which was a little disappointing (especially considering the fact I generally don't read detective-y books and am hopeless at Clue). It isn't incredibly well-written, but the story is interesting enough to be worth turning the pages.

In my opinion, it isn't the hype-worthy masterwork everyone makes it out to be, but it's a good summer read you'll enjoy and finish in aproximately two days.

marine
10-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I just finished Dancer by Colum Maccann, which is a novel based on the live of Rudolf Nureyev. It was pretty good. I'll read Emma Brown by Clare Boylan next.
Then I'll buy a book in french. I haven't read a book in french in months and where I am you don't really find books in english apart from those for school.

Keyser_so_so
10-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I recently finished Dr. Zhivago (by Boris Pasternak if you wondered), and I'm currently loving The Divine Comedy by Dante.

On order wise, I'm saving to pre-order the rather beautiful hardcover Sin City boxset- not all of them are included, though, just The Hard Goodbye, A Dame to Kill For, The Big Fat Kill, and That Yellow Bastard (i.e.- the ones the new movie was spawned from). But it looks wonderful, it's in lovely big form... It's got me drooling, basically. The full title of the set is 'Frank Miller's Sin City Library I'.

Pygmalion
11-07-2005, 01:55 AM
I'm halfway through Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. Leonie likes books, yes.

We had to do that book for school. It seems like Austen HATES the main character she's set up and finds its too late to change.

Leonie
11-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Jane Austen generally hates the main characters in her books, except for the heroines like Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice, Anne something something in Persuasion and Fanny in Mansfield Park. I think she is one of the more unlikeable heroines, but that probably also has to do with the theme of the book. Adultery wasn't something Jane Austen normally wrote about, or encouraged, so for Fanny to be as likeable as Elizabeth would contradict her point.