PDA

View Full Version : DC comic-movies vs. Marvel. The Battle has begun

Alendor
07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
The Last many many years Hollywood has been solely dominated by a string of more or less succesfull Marvel comic-adaptions. It rose with Blade around the fall of the Batman-franchise fell.

It is almost ironic that Batman is also the movie which will be the starting pistol for Marvel's greatest challenge in recent years. Mainly due to a string of flops that Marvel has suffered under....Elektra being the most outstanding flop of them all.

DC has ever since Batman died out been kind of away from the adaption market. It has tried for many many years....all those rumours of another Batman, Superman and even a Batman vs. Superman is now being fullfilled just when Marvel is starting to fail.

We can look at the coming shift in years with a DC-movie each year from this to 2007.

2005: Batman Begins vs. The Fantastic Four.
2006: Super-man Returns vs. X-men 3
2007: Wonder-woman vs. Spider-man 3

The only one Marvel is likely to win is 2007. But I will look at the one by one.

2005:

Sin City has won for most loyal adaption ever. It is hard not to be when the comic's creator has written the script and co-directed the movie. ;)

But this topic situates around the battle between DC and Marvel. So on one end we got Batman Begins with a cast like none other: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Tom Wilkinson, Cillian Murphy, Rutger Hauer. It has just such a wonderful cast.... btw it is directed by Christopher Nolan which is another master-stroke for it.

The Opponent from Marvel is The Fantastic Four. I have not much faith in this one. It doesn't seem loyal to the comic. I don't find the jokes in the teaser and trailers funny. The cast isn't near as good as Batman's....actually none of them is equal to Morgan Freeman alone. We got Jessica Alba, Julian McMahon, Chris Evans and Lancelot(I can not spell his name right now but everybody here should have seen it :icon_wink )

Så this year's round goes to DC.

2006:
Finally(even so I don't really like Super-man) another Super-man movie is on the way but sadly it meant a betrayal from Bryan Singer, when he left X-men 3 for this movie. So on one hand we got here a highly anticipated version of the Man of Steel.

It's opponent is ironically X-men 3, which has gotten its cast back with some new faces Vinnie Jones, Kelsey Grammer, Maggie Grace. But last week it's second director left 9 weeks before shooting. Brett Ratner has replaced him. I have mixed feelings if this will end up being as good as the last two or being that ends the franchise. Nothing other than a miracle will make X-men 3 win over the Man of Steel.

2007:
DC's candidate is Wonder-woman directed and written by my man, Joss Whedon(Buffy, Angel, Firefly). Nothing beside this is known, because he will first start writing....even thinking about it when he is completely done with Serenity. But no matter what this is going to be goooood. :icon_popc

But I still doubt it will win over Spider-man 3. How do you beat one of the most succesful adaptions by Marvel? Other than if you somehow have gotten its director to quit it and join your side(Singer...anyone?)

pheeew......my first written topic....mostly because of a lack of movie topics.
This is of course just how I view, if you guys think anything differently please say so

frodo1511
07-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Batman Begins will kick the shit out of F4
X-Men is the best comic book/movie adaptation series so far IMO.
Spider-Man will bring in huge moolah.

Marvel is in business. My 2 favorite comic book movies(X-men 2 and Spidey 2) are from Marvel. Not that the first Batman was bad, I just didn't prefer Michael Keaton as the bat.

Hazzle would love this thread.

Alendor
08-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Jep but remember that your beloved X-men franchise has lost its director and the next X-men movie is going up against the movie, he dropped it for. So I think that X-men 3 won't win that battle without a fight.

frodo1511
08-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Jep but remember that your beloved X-men franchise has lost its director and the next X-men movie is going up against the movie, he dropped it for. So I think that X-men 3 won't win that battle without a fight.

That's because the bastard is going to do the new superman movie. We've also lost Cyclops to that damn movie.

Alendor
08-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Acutally not. James Marsden has said that he is willing to do X-men for free(last I heard)just to get a small part in it. Super-man is filming right now while X-men first will begin in August, so if there is a part then he'll probably be able to get it.

Thereby he'll be a certified winner next year no matter which movie turns out to be the best.

But that darn Super-man movie is the very problem. X-men 3 might end up being a good movie but it will go head on with the Man of Steel next may. X-men the 26th.....I just know that Super-man also has a May-premiere. An epic showdown like none other..... for someone like me......

Renegade
09-06-2005, 01:47 AM
The new Batman looks pretty awesome. It looks more darker and serious compared to the last one, which was really horrible. Fantastic 4 looks great too. Though it doesn't seem as compelling as Batman Begins, it still looks to be an awesome summer movie.

P.S. I'm glad Chris Evans was chose over Paul Walker to play the Human Torch.

frodo1511
09-06-2005, 04:44 AM
Only reason I'm seeing Fantastic 4-Jessica Alba.

Spire
09-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Batman Begins > F4, no contest.

As for the rest, who knows? X-Men 3 is probably going to suck, sadly enough. Bryan Singer left to do the next Superman movie and the director they had pegged for it walked out 9 weeks before production started. Now they've got Brett Ratner directing (Not good at all) and a script that apparently blows. Three of the main characters die, one of the female mutants loses her powers permantly and one of the main plots is about the father of the one of the mutants trying to "unmutate" his daughter. Sounds like shit, and with so much turbulence in pre-production I think we're looking at a super shitty film.

And the Spiderman films have all sucked, I don't expect them to change.

frodo1511
09-06-2005, 02:28 PM
^As long as Wolverine is still a badass, it should at least be watchable.