PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

AureaMediocritas
07-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Poets praise alcohol as a way to reach higher spheres , to gain spirituality and
become distracted from the absurdity of human existence , puritans call it a sin
to abuse of it , Russians love it and doctors pretend it makes you stupid.

What exactly is your opinion about alcohol ? However boring this question may
seem to you , I personnally believe that alcohol creates a certain diversity of
live and prevents us from viewing issues from a limited, almost retarded point of
view. Alcohol does not inhere in my existence that much, yet I do like to become
"pissed" sometimes to alter the way of perceiving my environment. What about
you ? Do you drink often :P ?

(Topic written in an abnormal state of mind... my formal apologies.)

Manticora
07-06-2005, 10:06 PM
I think that alcohol clouds your judgment and makes you ignorant. I grew up with 2 alcoholic parents, and they were only abusive when they were drunk. I hate that crap...

Jacoby
07-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I don't mind people drinking alcohol. It's fine in my opinion. I don't drink, though, because my mom gets drunk a lot and acts like an idiot. I don't want to see myself like that.

Leonie
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Alcohol, like a lot of things, isn't a problem unless you go overboard. I myself enjoy a Malibu Coke every now and then (come on, I'm a student), but know where my limits are. At the same time, I'm sort of lucky (or unlucky, from a more economic perspective). I don't get drunk very easily, and although there may be two or three forum members who'd like to disagree, I generally don't make a fool of myself when I am drunk. The sense of responsibility is there no matter what. When drunk, the only stupid thing I do is try to convince everyone I'm not. But I've only really been drunk once. Sure, I've been well tipsy more often, but nothing major. It was my birthday and everyone else was buying (one of my housemates tried to disprove my statement that I don't get drunk and succeeded, but only because, while being mentally only tipsy, my body decided it couldn't handle the insane amount of alcohol in my system two hours after I'd stopped drinking). The point is that the experience wasn't impressive enough to want a repeat anytime soon.

In my opinion, alcohol isn't all that bad as long as you aren't a nuisance or a danger to the people around you. You just want to make sure you don't cross the line.

Doctors say drinking is bad? I thought a glass of red wine a day was healthy. If you are a woman of about 35. But I like to pretend I don't know the subclause :icon_razz

As for the influence it has on people... Alcohol doesn't do to me what it supposedly does to others. Mags once came up with this theory that might explain why I can drink so much without any real effects. Normally men can drink more than women without getting drunk, and this has something to do with a certain stomach enzyme of which they have a larger quantity. I think the conclusion was that I had a shitload of those enzymes. Basically, I don't get the forgetful bliss that comes with being drunk, I don't act all reckless without caring... Getting drunk, for me, serves no purpose at all, it's a waste of money. Sure, I get a little more bold, but being tipsy will do that too.

As for any artistic value... I haven't noticed any alcohol-related moods of genius, or I should have typed in meaningful prose when I was drunk. If so, I retract all my previous statements, because I would have forgotten all about that then. Anyone owning chatlogs to back this up is welcome to drop me a line - there may be some money there then. I know a publisher you know :icon_razz

frodo1511
08-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Here's my opinion:
If you drink responsively, then go ahead. You know what your limit is: don't exceed it. While I am under-age, I've been in many situations in which I could drink, but chose not to. As with jake, my mom also drinks a lot when she does drink. I've seen what it can do to a person, and I don't want that to be me.

Digital_Ice
08-06-2005, 05:33 AM
Here's my opinion:
If you drink responsively, then go ahead. You know what your limit is: don't exceed it. While I am under-age, I've been in many situations in which I could drink, but chose not to. As with jake, my mom also drinks a lot when she does drink. I've seen what it can do to a person, and I don't want that to be me.

thats my opinion to, i drink as much as i want to, not what peer pressure says i should. i dont like getting drunk, you loose all self control, and people often loose respect for you... plus if your feeling malicious being the only sober person with a camera can be good blackmail material... (joke)

Foeni
08-06-2005, 08:37 AM
When I'm at a party I usually drink alcohol. Whether I get drunk or not all depends on the situation and who's there. I've once been so drunk that I almost fell down on the railway (a friend grabbed me), and I never wanna get that drunk again.
Up to some limit, being drunk is fun. I feel good (though not everybody near me feels the same :p), and I get rather emotionel, and then I practically do whatever people ask me to do (if they know the right way to "ask").. Yes, as you see, I get rather stupid when drunk. I don't do it very often though.

Liam
08-06-2005, 09:40 AM
After a particularly rough night on the turps a couple of years back during which I passed out into a rose garden then spent three hours on a cold cement floor with bile leaking from the corner of my mouth, mumbling incoherently, I gave up excessive drinking. I'm 22 now and I'm completely over the whole 'drinking cause it makes me a rebel and fits all the mindless stereotypes' thing - I leave that to the hordes of stupid teenagers who do it religiously every weekend so they can fit in.

These days I stick to beer. Like Digital_Ice, I drink as much as I want to, but never so much that I lose control. I always have cold beer in the fridge for warm days, for drinking after a hard day at work or for when mates drop by. For me, there is little more enjoyable than sitting down with some mates, having a few cold pints and maybe a game of snooker or two.

Sure, getting pissed might be fun - but if you can't have fun without getting pissed you are walking down a dangerous road.

acliff
09-06-2005, 01:07 AM
As for the influence it has on people... Alcohol doesn't do to me what it supposedly does to others. Mags once came up with this theory that might explain why I can drink so much without any real effects. Normally men can drink more than women without getting drunk, and this has something to do with a certain stomach enzyme of which they have a larger quantity. I think the conclusion was that I had a shitload of those enzymes. Basically, I don't get the forgetful bliss that comes with being drunk, I don't act all reckless without caring... Getting drunk, for me, serves no purpose at all, it's a waste of money. Sure, I get a little more bold, but being tipsy will do that too.

I still maintain that you've never had alcohol in enough quantity :)

I enjoy alcohol when I can get it. Its not cheap, its not clever, and makes me do silly things which are extremely funny to watch, participate in, or look back to in hindsight.

Like me going to a atheletics union awards ball, getting awarded half colours, and then ending up drinking approx 4 bottles of red wine, passing out, being ill on the floor, getting taken outside by paramedics, getting given oxygen, because I wouldn't wake up. Then, having regained a small amount of cogency, I managed to get chucked out of the ball by the bouncers for being too aggressive, then being refused taxi rides back because I looked an absolute state. This ended with me being walked home by my mates up a hill, a journey which I increased from the expected 1 hour to almost 4. As you can imagine they were mightily tired by the time we got back at 5:30am.
And i remember almost nothing of this, except for the fact that I got a 6 day hangover from this.

You'll be happy to know that this doesn't happen to me often. But when it does, its pretty darn funny. Stories of jumping out of first storey windows, diving over bins, getting chucked out of beer gardens... the works. All good.

Mags
09-06-2005, 02:21 AM
I'd love to say that after Friday I'm swearing off the stuff, but it wasn't me that was embarrassingly drunk that night...

I'm drinking a pina colada right now, but that's not my normal behavior. I've realized that I don't really need to drink right now, and I'm not legally allowed to for another 6 months or so anyway. For now, I'm with Jake. Seeing what alcohol has done to family lately, I'm ok not drinking, especially if it makes me act the same way.

/me is all cryptic and can think of maybe two people who will understand.

deviljet88
09-06-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't drink, neither do I care to. Only good for stories as Cliff and a few others have given examples of.

Leonie
09-06-2005, 03:47 PM
I still maintain that you've never had alcohol in enough quantity :)

Does that mean you are buying then? :icon_razz

gracie
09-06-2005, 05:08 PM
i drink frequently and often in large quantities. on a noramal night i might have 7/8 shots of vodka or run then drink a 40oz of miller light or 5/6 cups of keg beer. ive been drinking for a long time. i rarely get sick off it and i enjoy being intoxicated. i do act randomly and have recently got into a fight that wouldnt have occured if i wasnt drunk, also drunk crying ensues. basically i suffer from the negative and positive effects of inoxication, but i do it regardless. and i dont drive after more than 5 drinks

Alendor
09-06-2005, 07:17 PM
I rarely drink. But when I do I do it for the sole purpose of getting drunk. I despise the taste of most alcohol therefore I see no reason for me to drink out of pleasure. I drink so I can get drunk.
Now is about a month since last time for me but next week is graduation followed with three days of heavy drinking.

Foeni
09-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Only three days? I officially graduate on june 18th (I have my last exam monday, but even if I fail that one, I still graduate), and I expect more than three days of drinking..

Alendor
09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah there will probably come a lot more in the coming months. But after those three days I have 5 days untill a one-week trip to Norway with some friends. I will be preparing for that one in those days.

Then the drinking will undoubtely return when I get back

Ashley
09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I drink. I enjoy. I drink mostly beer now. I go out party with friends go to the bar have a few while talking. I've been known to get a little.... out of control but that's when I do my best kareoke.
If I'm at a party I'll have rum and coke, but usually just beer.
/me drinks a Heineken

Elijahfan
10-06-2005, 02:17 AM
i say just dont drink to avoid your problems, because that does nothing in the need....and know your limits.

acliff
10-06-2005, 02:18 AM
Does that mean you are buying then? :icon_razz

I challenge you to drink a 3 litre bottle of white lightning without becoming intoxicated. There is only one person I know who is barely affected. He's in the 'lightning squad', has something crazy going on with his liver, and I'm pretty sure he's been to at least one alcoholics anonymous meeting. Drunk.

gracie
11-06-2005, 02:18 AM
yeah i always wonder about the kids my age who drink like a half a liter of vodka a night. how soon untill their liver revolts in agony and defeat.

JackYang
11-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Alcohol's a waste of health and money.

PhoeniX
11-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Alcohol is good,I only drink it occasionally but some people at my school in my year get pissed every night and I don't see the point in that if your 15.

AureaMediocritas
11-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I guess as long as the supremely dishonourating point of not knowing whether
to puke or shit first when "attending" the loo has not been experienced once in your life, you are entitled to affirm that alcohol is more or less harmless ;) .

And no, no personal experience makes me say this (except if my memory was
deficient hrhr).

acliff
12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
yeah i always wonder about the kids my age who drink like a half a liter of vodka a night. how soon untill their liver revolts in agony and defeat.

All the tumours give their livers valuable internal surface area, used to continue the ongoing journey the the dialysis machine.

Scott
12-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I drink regularly, and I recently turned 18 a few weeks, which is the legal drinking age in Australia. I rarely go out with the intention of getting smashed, because I become really aggressive if i have a few too many drinks.
These days when I'm heading out to the pub with the boys I only get slightly intoxicated, because I'm going to need to be able to find my way home.

And like Liam, I enjoy an icy cold beer, on a warm afternoon.

Digital_Ice
13-06-2005, 01:06 AM
And like Liam, I enjoy an icy cold beer, on a warm afternoon.

tis the best.. a nice guinness or new found love... grolsch.

JackYang
13-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Well, alcohol's good for your health if you drink it once in awhile but ... regularly, I don't think that does you any good. lol I thought people feel like they're living in a dream world when they drink alcohol daily.

christy23
18-06-2005, 03:07 PM
well seeing as how my dad was an alcoholic and my sisters husband is an alcoholic i am not the type of person that drinks all the time. I do drink once in a while. I actually when i was younger went through sperts where i would go out every weekend and now i barely drink at all.. like once every 6 months or so.

Neras
20-06-2005, 12:29 AM
When I go out, I drink. Sometimes when I stay in, I drink. I never get drunk though... Partly because I can hold my drink, and partly because I can't be bothered. I can have a good time without getting pissed - ends up cheaper too. :D

Charlie
20-06-2005, 03:41 AM
i think alcohol can be quite a nice thing in a social atmosphere drank in moderation. i always find drinking a nice cold beer with some friends quite relaxing.

Dyce_Blue
30-06-2005, 05:51 PM
I have learned this year that in moderation, alcohol is fine.

But I hate drunk people...especially the guy at my party that puked on everything. The man hit everything in my bathroom but the toilet.

Drunk driving isn't good either.