PDA

View Full Version : Get in Manny or you're gonna die...

frodo1511
07-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Who else is excited for War of the Worlds? IMO, the summer blockbuster of the year.

Atvar
07-06-2005, 01:45 AM
when is it going to come out. I was just wondering how much time i have to read the book, before i see the film.

apoggy
07-06-2005, 01:48 AM
the summer blockbuster of the year.

that makes no sense.

frodo1511
07-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Movie comes out June 29th in the states.

Poggs: Tell that to the film industry, they come up with that shit all the time.

Foeni
07-06-2005, 04:49 AM
It's june 29th in Denmark, too. Looking very much forward to seeing it.

Elijahfan
07-06-2005, 04:54 AM
i'm so excited i'm going to jump up and down on my couch screaming "I'M IN LOVE" YES! and frantically acting like a moron doped up on scientology, that's how excited i am.

Atvar
07-06-2005, 08:30 AM
good good. I think i can get through a 120 page book in just less than a month.

Keyser_so_so
07-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I do recommend reading the book. H G Wells is an excellent writer, and the fact that it's a short book is fantastic.

When I read the thread title, though, I thought someone was talking about Black Books (TV show in the UK, for our global friends).

This is black books' Manny, by the way:
http://www.alivenetwork.com/images/suppliers/billbailey_large.jpg

Leonie
07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Wooooo! It's Bill :icon_bigg

frodo1511
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm gonna read the book hopefully before the movie. But before that, I have to finish a beast known as "Rainbow 6". Perhaps you've heard of it?

Richard
07-06-2005, 10:05 PM
I plan to see it in theaters. It's a big deal to me because the last movie I saw was The Day After Tomorrow.

frodo1511
07-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I plan to see it in theaters. It's a big deal to me because the last movie I saw was The Day After Tomorrow.

As big a movie buff you are, Richard, I laughed so hard at that remark. TDAT was an amazing movie(Me loves Rolland Emmerich), and War of the Worlds shouldn't dissapoint.

Jacoby
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't read the book first.

To not be dissapointed, I would watch the film, then read the book. You already know the characters, you can visualize them easier, and it will explain things you were confused on.

If it were a suspensful, twisting story, then I would read the book first. But I think we all know the story of War of the Worlds.

hasselbrad
07-06-2005, 10:48 PM
All of the CGI in the world can't/won't compare to the Orson Welles radio broadcast.

frodo1511
08-06-2005, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't read the book first.

To not be dissapointed, I would watch the film, then read the book. You already know the characters, you can visualize them easier, and it will explain things you were confused on.

If it were a suspensful, twisting story, then I would read the book first. But I think we all know the story of War of the Worlds.

That's what I did with The Lord of the Rings. I knew who all the characters were before hand, but I wanted to see them on-screen before I read the book.

From hassebrad:
"All of the CGI in the world can't/won't compare to the Orson Welles radio broadcast."

That's because everyone thought it was REALLY HAPPENING. In this day and age, even a nuclear bomb going off inside a big city wouldn't make us cringe(just go with it).

Spire
08-06-2005, 06:30 PM
If you haven't read the book or seen the 1953 version, you're just a total nub.

frodo1511
08-06-2005, 07:56 PM
If you haven't read the book or seen the 1953 version, you're just a total nub.

I've read bits and pieces of the book, and I've seen the '53 movie 3 times. It was actually good if you think about it, I mean, for a 1953 movie.

Spire
08-06-2005, 08:31 PM
I liked it.

Richard
08-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I didn't like the 1953 version. I actually think the remake will be better.

frodo1511
30-06-2005, 02:17 PM
This movie slapped my ass sideways for 2 straight hours.

Amazing movie.

Spire
01-07-2005, 01:44 AM
I didn't like the 1953 version. I actually think the remake will be better.

It's not a remake.

It's based purely on the book, it has nothing to do with the '53 version.

Sarah
01-07-2005, 07:17 PM
When I heard there was going to be a new War of the Worlds movie (early last year) I was so excited. Slowly, I've become more and more depressed about it as the facts slowly began to emerge...

* When I hear it had been taken over the pond to America. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO! PLEASE no! What are you doing!? If you want to modernise it, at least keep it in this country!

* Tom Cruise. Oh Lord, not Tom Cruise.

Congratulations, Mr. Steven Spielberg, you clearly love to drestroy works of art.

Digital_Ice
01-07-2005, 07:29 PM
i must say.. those two facts are the same doubts i had over it, but im a big WotW fan.. so im going to give it a chance to redeam itself.... it better be good....

Kelsey
01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
It was taken over here because according to the screenwriter, he didn't know anything about London (the original setting). So he thought he would set it some place where he was familiar with, and he thought working class New Jersey was an interesting location. Weak excuse. He knew he was writing as a vehicle for Tom Cruise, why doesn't he just Tom Cruise wouldn't be able to pull off the English thing?

At least one of the changes was good. These aren't martians. That would have sucked since we've, uh, been to Mars.

I was entertained throughout the movie. Glad to see the script didn't depend entirely on visual effects, but really tried to make it character driven. For the first time *ever*, I was actually impressed by Tom Cruise's performance, especially in the scenes with him and Dakota.

I'm really getting tired of Dakota Fanning. She's a good actress, there is no denying that, but the term over-used comes to mind. Where's Jenna Boyd these days?

I thought that there were a few plot holes and unfinished setups throughout the film. Those spider web vein things, why did they blow us up if they needed our blood, etc. My screenwriters website sparked a debate a few minutes ago about Rachel's splinter and whether it was an event that didnt pay off, exposition, etc...? Quite interesting, actually.

Elijahfan
01-07-2005, 08:20 PM
the movie made 34 million world wide i think, its good but not as good at starwars opening

Kelsey
01-07-2005, 08:26 PM
One more example prodcos and distributers will have for their ideas on why the box office is failing more than ever. "People don't want to see destruction movies right now." Nah, people don't want to pay ten bucks a pop to see a movie that (1) every one knows the ending to already, (2) they can illegally download, and (3) they can watch on DVD in just a few months because it is the new trend to release all these mediocre remakes and adaptations faster than ever on DVD.

Jacoby
01-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I thought that there were a few plot holes and unfinished setups throughout the film. Those spider web vein things, why did they blow us up if they needed our blood, etc. My screenwriters website sparked a debate a few minutes ago about Rachel's splinter and whether it was an event that didnt pay off, exposition, etc...? Quite interesting, actually.

SPOILER! Kinda! Well, yeah, spoiler...

Gar. Some of the events didn't really make sense. For example:

Robby left his father at that one part and you see him go over the hill to fight. "I have to see this!" or whatever he said. Then, four seconds later, you see a giant alien ship on fire sweep over the hill and come toward the Cruise. Now, we're lead to believe that Robbie has perished. But no, he found a secret trail that lead to Boston. I found it so completely against Robbie's character to not fight and die against the aliens. Maybe they just poorly portrayed Robbie and wanted to focus on the father's story. I dunno. It just didn't sit well with me.

Another thing is when Cruise is getting sucked up by the alien ship's asshole. First of all...that was disgusting to watch, i was cringing the whole time. They could have made it look more mechanical and less like a sphincter. But what really bothered me was how it took about, oh, four humans to pull him out of the alien's rectum-thing. These things are destroying buildings and throwing people around like rag dolls, but four fatigued humans can beat it in a tug of war. Weird.

In the beginning, when people were first starting to be vaporized by the laser, the alien would shoot around Cruise. Which was weird.

The whole part where the village fought over the car was ridiculous. Maybe I missed something, but wasn't the ferry FOUR miles from the town? All those people couldn't have fucking walked the rest of the way? Instead they killed eachother and acted very zombie-like (when the black guy tears the windshield open.)

End spoiler.

I enjoyed the film. I believe Tom Cruise did well, and the other cast also. I read an interview with the screenwriter and why some of the story was laid out in a certain way, and it made sense. Not as good as I was hoping, but definitely fun to watch.

Kelsey
02-07-2005, 12:10 AM
SPOILERS

I had a problem with Robbie's survival simply because when everyone thought he was dead, that was Ray's new motivation to completely commit himself to his goal of saving Rachel and a crucial turning point in this character driven story. When Robbie comes out of the building in Boston (Which I also had trouble believing their entire family survived...why is Hollywood so afraid of sad endings?), I thought it made Ray's accomplishment from the point when they go in that guys basement onward less meaningful.

Anyways.... Fun to watch, which is the point right? My favorite summer flick so far is still Mr. and Mrs. Smith, though I have big hopes for The Island, as much as I'm dreading it.

Dyce_Blue
02-07-2005, 06:43 AM
The clothes they wore were quite durable...

...are we led to believe that you really can't break Lee Dungarees?

Also notice that no underwear came falling from the sky.

That says a lot about New York City right there.

frodo1511
02-07-2005, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jacoby]SPOILER! Kinda! Well, yeah, spoiler...

Gar. Some of the events didn't really make sense. For example:

Robby left his father at that one part and you see him go over the hill to fight. "I have to see this!" or whatever he said. Then, four seconds later, you see a giant alien ship on fire sweep over the hill and come toward the Cruise. Now, we're lead to believe that Robbie has perished. But no, he found a secret trail that lead to Boston. I found it so completely against Robbie's character to not fight and die against the aliens. Maybe they just poorly portrayed Robbie and wanted to focus on the father's story. I dunno. It just didn't sit well with me.

Another thing is when Cruise is getting sucked up by the alien ship's asshole. First of all...that was disgusting to watch, i was cringing the whole time. They could have made it look more mechanical and less like a sphincter. But what really bothered me was how it took about, oh, four humans to pull him out of the alien's rectum-thing. These things are destroying buildings and throwing people around like rag dolls, but four fatigued humans can beat it in a tug of war. Weird.

In the beginning, when people were first starting to be vaporized by the laser, the alien would shoot around Cruise. Which was weird.

The whole part where the village fought over the car was ridiculous. Maybe I missed something, but wasn't the ferry FOUR miles from the town? All those people couldn't have fucking walked the rest of the way? Instead they killed eachother and acted very zombie-like (when the black guy tears the windshield open.) [QUOTE]

1. Yeah, that was the one thing I didn't like. I mean, when Spielberg was filming this shot, he created the biggest explosion in the history of filmmaking. I mean, people even called in to say that they saw something blow up miles away.

NO ONE COULD SURVIVE THAT.

2. The aliens(Martians in the book, but no one says what they are in the movie) are not all that strong physically. I mean, when you actually see them out of the tripods, they look pathetic. I don't know how strong that "hole thing" was/is, but with adrenalin and 4 tough, strong guys pulling you, you'd be amazed as to how much can be pulled.

3. He's the star of the movie. No way he'd die that early. Just like in Saving Private Ryan, Spielberg likes to keep his main man in the action, and show the audience what's happening around him.

4. Humans are a very deadly species. We always want what the other guy wants. I was not suprised one bit about their behavior. Hell, if the ferry was 4 miles away, I'd sure as hell get in that car and drive as fast as possible. The tripods may be slow, but they cover large amounts of ground with one stride.

Dyce_Blue
03-07-2005, 06:57 AM
-MINOR SPOILER-

OK, two questions...

1. If the tripods were buried millions of years before, why didn't the aliens die when they came to earth to plant them?

2. If the aliens were so far advanced with their technology, why would they need such an inferior and unpractical contraption as the space-anus?

2 1/2. (this one is a stretch) If the aliens knew so much about our planet, then they would know not to let the tripods mulch up little girls. They are obviously filled not with blood but instead with sugar and spice, which would severely gum up the plumbing.

Jacoby
03-07-2005, 01:10 PM
2. The aliens(Martians in the book, but no one says what they are in the movie) are not all that strong physically. I mean, when you actually see them out of the tripods, they look pathetic. I don't know how strong that "hole thing" was/is, but with adrenalin and 4 tough, strong guys pulling you, you'd be amazed as to how much can be pulled.

More Spoils

It was the ship that pulled him, not the alien. The tentacle was smaller than others, but it just didn't seem right. And they didn't try to save the guy who got sucked in before Tom. He was less pretty.

Digital_Ice
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
i'm off to see War of the Worlds.... if its worth it... is it???

i hope it does the book justice.

frodo1511
04-07-2005, 03:30 AM
More Spoils

It was the ship that pulled him, not the alien. The tentacle was smaller than others, but it just didn't seem right. And they didn't try to save the guy who got sucked in before Tom. He was less pretty.

I knew it was the ship-I'm just restating that the aliens themselves are physically weak. Sure, they can hang on things, but I bet Tom could punch one to death. That tentacle thing probably wasn't on full suction at that time.
And, that other guy who got sucked didn't deserve to live. He killed his wife the night before.

Ice: the movie's worth the moolah.

Kelsey
05-07-2005, 10:38 PM
You know what is worth the moolah? ...Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Lol.

Going to see War of the Worlds again tonight, because my sister didn't see it. I'm looking forward to seeing it again, maybe it will help fill in some of the wtf blanks.

frodo1511
05-07-2005, 11:43 PM
The foghorn gives me goosebumps.

Kelsey
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Nope...I still think it's random.

I actually think Dakota Fanning's character was flawed. Tom's was solid though.

hasselbrad
06-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Is it true, that during the mass exodus of people, that there wasn't a single dog?
:icon_conf

frodo1511
06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Is it true, that during the mass exodus of people, that there wasn't a single dog?
:icon_conf

I didn't see any on screen. Maybe Steven is allergic or something...

Kelsey
06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Can't remember dogs. There was a horse though. And a dead cow.

Digital_Ice
13-07-2005, 08:40 PM
i went to see WotW yesterday, twas very good.... though christ there were many plot holes!!!

frodo1511
14-07-2005, 02:24 AM
^True, but at least it made more sense then Independence Day.

I was completly taken out of the story when I found out the motherships' systems were compatable with a Mac OS.
However, this WAS 1996, when people thought PC's were god's gift to man.
I still love ID4, I just think WotW was a bit more serious then ID4

Gunner
14-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Well, I dunno why but I haven't really liked any movies for the past two years. Very odd, and I don't like the fact that I haven't enjoyed them much. It seems to me it's down to the fact that they are all too predictable. I knew that Tom Cruise son would survive, he would save his family and the aliens would be beaten. Despite the fact I hadn't read any spoilers or anything. It just seems to be getting to me of late. The last movie I enjoyed enough to actually LIKE it was ROTK