PDA

View Full Version : What's your summer job?

Leonie
26-05-2005, 09:09 AM
In a few hours, I'll be out job hunting. I'm pretty desperate, and will take pretty much anything (legal) that comes along. (I'll let you know how it goes :icon_bigg) Care to inspire me?

Have you got an awesome summer job? Are you earning heaps and/or having lots of fun? Or are you wishing the summer was over, because even uni/school is better than your current job? Or, and this is probably the best option, are you doing absolutely nothing for a few months?

Kendorjia
26-05-2005, 09:39 AM
i'm doing nothing :P but i NEED a job asap... as you i am on the look out for pretty much anything legal and worth doing (=the paycheck is phat :P)

I used to work at a company which payed heeps, but they are bankrupt (becoz of that prob :P) So i need something new... prob is i'm too lazy to go look for one hmpf

Foeni
26-05-2005, 10:23 AM
What is that? Is Liam not man enough to provide for his woman?

Liam
26-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I'd provide, but she is a raging feminist and thinks she can look after herself. Or something.

I'm currently 'between jobs'. I'm doing some handyman work as a diversion but its obviously not going to be paying for my housing. I'm on the hunt for something as well.

apoggy
26-05-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm on the hunt for something as well.

Wild Goat? Meat and Milk mmmmm

Digital_Ice
26-05-2005, 01:29 PM
tis pissing me off...

i'm lookig for a job job, not just a summer job... no one blimmin well even asks me for an interview......

so the only source of income i have at the moment comes from the websites im making for various companies... which isnt very much...

/me has such high self esteem now...

deviljet88
26-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Omfg checkout chick.

Kendorjia
26-05-2005, 01:53 PM
tis pissing me off...

i'm lookig for a job job, not just a summer job... no one blimmin well even asks me for an interview......

so the only source of income i have at the moment comes from the websites im making for various companies... which isnt very much...

/me has such high self esteem now...

maybe you should ask more money for the creating of those sites.....

Spire
26-05-2005, 04:23 PM
I throw rocks at people.

hasselbrad
26-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I throw rocks at people.

Coolest summer job...evar!

marine
26-05-2005, 05:59 PM
last year I was a cashier at a supermarket. It wasn't well pay, cause I had go the job from a governmental agency.
Leonie, remenber when you were telling us how you had a little revenge on the one who bullied you and who was working in a supermarket or something.
Guess what, you don't even need to have bullied someone at school, for people to get on your nerves. Working in a supermarket takes a lot of patience and a lot of hypocrite smiles. But don't worry everyone doesn't behave like a jerk. Just one or two a week. But as I said last year, when you're desperate :icon_razz

This summer I'm working in a bank. I don't know what I will do, but as the pay isn't bad, I don't really care.
Once, I found a job, by going to almost every shops downtown and asking if they needed someone for the summer. But downtown where I used to live isn't that big.

Leonie
26-05-2005, 06:50 PM
last year I was a cashier at a supermarket. It wasn't well pay, cause I had go the job from a governmental agency.
Leonie, remenber when you were telling us how you had a little revenge on the one who bullied you and who was working in a supermarket or something.
Guess what, you don't even need to have bullied someone at school, for people to get on your nerves. Working in a supermarket takes a lot of patience and a lot of hypocrite smiles. But don't worry everyone doesn't behave like a jerk. Just one or two a week. But as I said last year, when you're desperate :icon_razz

Heh - I've worked at a supermarket. A nice little town one. For three years, on Wednesday nights, and the pay sucked. Trust me, I know allll about the supermarket experience :icon_bigg

As for my job... I've got three companies getting back to me, so I'll call them again in a few days and ask them what's going on. One of them said they might be able to blag me a job at the local massive library, which would be rather perfect, so fingers crossed for that one :)

Ashley
26-05-2005, 07:29 PM
I work at a bakery when I'm needed. They pay very well... more than they should really.
And I keep my university job during the summer as well. Of course that doesn't start up again until the 7th of June, so I'm enjoying some time off.

Jacoby
26-05-2005, 07:49 PM
I landscape with my father. DiLucia and son landscaping business. He says "son" because he never bothered giving me a real name.

There's actually no name for our business, because we're so small, but we do scape one hell of a land.

Richard
26-05-2005, 08:58 PM
I have the opportunity to work at Boeing as an AutoCAD programmer, or something like that. It's a summer job offered to students who already have prior experience with the program, and they also offer a couple weeks of training. The pay is nice, higher than minimum wage, but I haven't decided yet.

I might just try Circuit City. Those red shirts look great.

acliff
26-05-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm going to work as a part time contract killer.
To fuel my blood habit.

Timmy
26-05-2005, 10:34 PM
well i'm a chef, i'll just get more shifts when i stop college

frodo1511
27-05-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm a professional spy. I wear cool goggles and spy on people.

Renegade
27-05-2005, 06:09 AM
I want a low-skilled job in a movie theater. Ripping ticket stubs and cleaning floors doesn't sound so bad if I get to watch free movies.

Jacoby
27-05-2005, 03:33 PM
I want a low-skilled job in a movie theater. Ripping ticket stubs and cleaning floors doesn't sound so bad if I get to watch free movies.

What about projection crew? It is your job to watch movies.

Digital_Ice
27-05-2005, 05:58 PM
or how about joining a film pannel... you get paid to watch films before anyone else, and get to winge if you dont like it direct to the creators

Richard
27-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Screw Boeing. I second Ren.

KRev
27-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Pimpin' out trick ass hos.

And that ain't easy...

JackYang
28-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Hmm, I haven't decided. I'm do web design jobs from time to time. I might just get a cashier job or a store management job somewhere this summer.

Meteora
28-05-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm going to sell my virginity over the summer.

Liam
28-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Update: I just finished 2 new website designs for myself, and for the first time I'm really happy with my work. I might try and blag some freelance design work, which would pay the bills until such time as I can speak the bloody language here with some degree of competence.

Bait
29-05-2005, 04:48 AM
i'm applying everywhere hiring right now besides fast food (im not that desperate as i can loot off my parents :X) last week i applied at yogurt mill (its kind of like fast food but its yogurt and coffee drinks...not greasy shit food) and i talked to one of the workers afterwards...too bad she wasnt the manager but she said she will recommend me as being friendly or something :P

and my friends dad said if i cant get a job over the summer i can work for him at his house with my friend...i mowed the lawn and swept up his garage with my friend and i got paid $80 for 3 hours of work...so thats a good back up :)

tomorrow i go apply at a grocery store and a retail store so maybe i'll get lucky (i'd rather the grocery store hire me because the retail store i dont shop at so the discount wont matter :P)

Digital_Ice
29-05-2005, 01:21 PM
i share your sentiment bait. i would take any job going.... except fast fod joints.

im not a vegetarian or anything, i just like my maccy d's and ignorance is bliss when it comes to fast food... i'd rather not know exactly how its made!

Scott
29-05-2005, 01:25 PM
I work casual at Kmart and mow lawns

AureaMediocritas
31-05-2005, 08:28 PM
As for me, I am deep in the shits, just as last year : water treatment station
(Australian yobo dialect: "shitfactory") works. With a lot of beer though, as
there is not much to do.

Kelsey
31-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Upon returning from Europe, I will be working with a cardiologist (filing papers, making appointments, and watching open heart surguries). I am thrilled this opportunity arose, because I've really been panicking since quitting my mediocre movie theater job a few weeks ago. But this will work out because the pay is absolutely amazing, guaranteed 8 hours a day, they'll give me Fridays off for "That 70s Show," and I should have enough by December to move to L.A. and pay off the bitch whose car I rear ended and now she thinks it's some kind of reward system where she can upgrade her car. Ho.

Mags
01-06-2005, 03:31 AM
I'm currently having my life-force sucked out of me one caller at a time. I do customer service for an insurance company where 90% of our members are 65 and older. I spend 8 hours a day talking to them and the nurses at their doctor's office. Most calls from members consist of them telling me they're on a fixed income (Social security, and at this point, I almost want to tell them that at least they have it, when I probably won't) and that they don't have enough money to pay for their prescriptions. I amuse myself by scratching the nail polish off my fingers (mostly with thumb tacks) and reading in between calls, mostly while listening to The Killers discreetly out of one earbud of my iPod, or listening for inventive curse words I invariably get called when members realize something they've done isn't covered. The best I've been called so far was a "crooked motherfucker" and that was on my 3rd day of work.

For this meaningless existence, I make $13 an hour...and no taxes are taken out. Haha. And I think if I actually learned Spanish I'd get a raise. Suckers.

*/me backs away and prays fervently that no one she works with will ever view this*

hasselbrad
01-06-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm currently having my life-force sucked out of me one caller at a time. I do customer service for an insurance company where 90% of our members are 65 and older. I spend 8 hours a day talking to them and the nurses at their doctor's office. Most calls from members consist of them telling me they're on a fixed income (Social security, and at this point, I almost want to tell them that at least they have it, when I probably won't) and that they don't have enough money to pay for their prescriptions.

Welcome to my world. I field at least three phone calls a day from angry senior citizens that want us to come pick up some piece of homecare equipment (that I am damn well sure I'm footing the bill for) because their insurance has stopped paying for it. Problem. We're Suncoast Surgical Supply, not Suncoast Medicare Supply. We don't rent beds, wheelchairs or raised toilet seats. We don't fill prescriptions. We don't process Medicare. Imagine explaining that to some angry, addled octogenarian that is off his/her meds. Fuck...it's easier to reason with a toddler.

Leonie
16-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Woo - in about half an hour I'll be off to sign my contract. And for once, I haven't been shafted, I even get properly paid. Awesomeness in a bag.

See, just when I'd given up on ever being employed again, this awesome book/music/lunchroom-shop called me, and offered me a job, in spite of the fact that they didn't really have one. Woo. Three hurrays to sending random letters to shops you like. And did I mention the pay? I mean, I'm not totally money obsessed, but man... I've been kinda poor lately. Did I mention the pay?

frodo1511
16-06-2005, 02:30 PM
I found out yesterday that I got a job at our new golf course club house.
Free golf baby.

hasselbrad
16-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I found out yesterday that I got a job at our new golf course club house.
Free golf baby.

I'm jealous.

frodo1511
17-06-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm jealous.

So is my father. During golf season, I saw our old one get torn down during a match. Right behind it is the beauty known as the "new hotness". I'll take a pic next time I'm out their for you guys if you want to see it.

Charlie
18-06-2005, 01:06 AM
i'm the return's cashier at wal-mart. you wouldn't believe some of the reasons people give me for returning the stuff they just bought. one guy once returned his dvd player so he could get the money to buy some beer for his guys-night out party.

Ranman
18-06-2005, 01:10 AM
That was you?

christy23
18-06-2005, 03:03 PM
i'm the return's cashier at wal-mart. you wouldn't believe some of the reasons people give me for returning the stuff they just bought. one guy once returned his dvd player so he could get the money to buy some beer for his guys-night out party.

I work at the Family Dollar and i know exactly how you feel with people returning things.. some of their excuses are hilarious and then the people that try to return stuff with no receipt.. lol..