PDA

View Full Version : Skaterboarding

Boyscout
02-05-2005, 04:21 PM
I wonder if there are a certain people in Europe or America now playing skaterboard still and being fond of it. However I've been practicing skaterboard since this March and I still can't handle the "jump" thing... :(
If there are any people who are experts or fans on skaterboarding, come on and get involved in this thread, talk whatever you want about this sport which was popular in 70s in US(I don't know how is it now).

Jacoby
02-05-2005, 06:54 PM
*Cracks knuckles*

I started skating in 1998. My friend got a board for Christmas and I got more use out of it than he did. I skated about 6 straight years, taking a break during the summer of 2004. I started up again last November. I need a new deck, though, mine is broken.

Where to start? Well, the whole skating fad really pissed me off and made me want to quit. Every kid seemed to own a skateboard and the hobby lost its uniqueness. That's when I stopped dressing in skateboarding company's clothing.

I really missed skateboarding after I took the break. It was one of the few things I could actually dedicate myself to, and without it my life was much more boring. I actually had dreams some nights about trying to grind some ledge or land some trick. I didn't want to go back to skateboarding because my friends were such assholes about it. They would never congradulate you on a tough trick landed, instead they would just be pissed off that they didn't land it first and call your trick "sketchy". I remember trying to land a frontside 180 K down this ledge and I couldn't get it. My friend got it before me - he insisted on trying the same trick I was - and he made fun of me for the rest of the day. "I finally showed you up, Jake! Haha! This is the best day of my life." He actually said those things, too. I prefer to skate alone now.

I need a new deck because I snapped my Habitat in two on a double kickflip. That's what I get for putting on some extra pounds, I guess. I'm not sure what to buy... perhaps a New Deal. Those were good decks.

Anyways, I enjoy skating and taking it easy. It feels so nice when you finally add style to your tricks. It's almost like dancing, you have to be fluent with the maneuvers. Even with simple tricks like the ollie.

It's really fun. The first two years of skating will be frustrating (unless you're some sort of prodigy) but it'll be worth it once you hear someone say "holy crap" when you land some technical trick.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot to put a link to my local skateshop.
www.krudco.com

hasselbrad
02-05-2005, 08:29 PM
I got my first skateboard in 1983. It was a Variflex something-or-another. Actually, I had one of those old decks that were shaped like little surfboards first. It was faded and had the old style skate wheels that looked like Neutrogena soap. I inherited it from some older kid in the neighborhood but I couldn't really do much more than go in a straight line.
My Variflex was the first "modern" skateboard I had. I thrashed it for a while and then got a Vision "Gator". It was black and green and I thought I was the coolest mf'er. Then, I lost interest.

Scott
05-05-2005, 05:37 AM
I use to skateboard a little back when I was 12-13, but I lost interest. I prefer taking my BMX to the park and doing jumps off the dirt mounds. BMX is also better for getting around on, because I don't have a car.

Keyser_so_so
05-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I only lost interest because all the people into skateboarding around in my area were wankers or whiny skater-girls. And my limbs were at that teenage growing stage where you lose about half a second's reaction time, which didn't help.

Oh, and I was pretty crap, as a result of the aforementioned limb-problem, and I just was even after ages.

MrPink
06-05-2005, 05:08 PM
i've skated for bout 5 years but am on one of those breaks jacoby was chattin about. i love it, i find the challange of finding new lines and angles on ledges to perform new grinds, flips etc.

jacoby GIRL decks are definatly the way forward. i got one, rick mckrank pro deck, it's fucken awesome.

Jacoby
06-05-2005, 08:33 PM
i've skated for bout 5 years but am on one of those breaks jacoby was chattin about. i love it, i find the challange of finding new lines and angles on ledges to perform new grinds, flips etc.

jacoby GIRL decks are definatly the way forward. i got one, rick mckrank pro deck, it's fucken awesome.

I actually found a deck for half price. It's called Legacy. Matt Mumford's new company. I like it, it's wide and it flips pretty well. It doesn't have too much pop, though.

MrPink
06-05-2005, 09:16 PM
ya my girl has the biggest pop. payed enough for it tho. city stars are also pretty lush

Jacoby
06-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I always wanted to try out a Girl deck. That'll be my next buy once I break this deck.

I guess New Deal is out of business. Their most praised rider, Ryan Johnson, now skates for "Scarecrow"...which I've never heard of. Man, I haven't read a skate magazine in about 4 years. Do you stay on top of the media, Pink?

Let's talk about some skaters. Even though I probably don't know too many new riders, I'd still like to talk about some older ones.

I love Louie Barletta, he's so awesome. He's pretty funny, too. Arto Saari is probably the most crazy skater I've ever seen. The I'm Sorry video was ridiculous (in a good way). My all-time favorite skater would have to be Jerry Hsu, though. Oh my, can that man skateboard. I loved the Black Cat video when he skated for them. It was so good. Black Cat was such a good team.

Boyscout
08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
*Cracks knuckles*

Anyways, I enjoy skating and taking it easy. It feels so nice when you finally add style to your tricks. It's almost like dancing, you have to be fluent with the maneuvers. Even with simple tricks like the ollie.

It's really fun. The first two years of skating will be frustrating (unless you're some sort of prodigy) but it'll be worth it once you hear someone say "holy crap" when you land some technical trick.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot to put a link to my local skateshop.
www.krudco.com

Wait. Are you suggesting that it has to take at least 2 years to get really kicked-ass at technical trick? Oh Gees~~~~~ I thought I could...Anyway, that sounds depressing to me...
And you call ollie a "simple trick"? I've been practicing for a while but still can't handle it , pathetic,uh? How long did it take for you to learn ollie?( I think ollie is a basic jump in skaterboarding, right?)
Can you give me some suggestions in practicing this? I wanna be good as soon as possible so that I can get out of the underground parking place and ride it to school! :icon_conf

Boyscout
08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
BTW,do you use protect fits while skaterboarding?

Jacoby
08-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Wait. Are you suggesting that it has to take at least 2 years to get really kicked-ass at technical trick? Oh Gees~~~~~ I thought I could...Anyway, that sounds depressing to me...
And you call ollie a "simple trick"? I've been practicing for a while but still can't handle it , pathetic,uh? How long did it take for you to learn ollie?( I think ollie is a basic jump in skaterboarding, right?)
Can you give me some suggestions in practicing this? I wanna be good as soon as possible so that I can get out of the underground parking place and ride it to school! :icon_conf

BTW,do you use protect fits while skaterboarding?

Two years of skateboarding is about the average for landing kickflips/heelflips/varials and all that, usually. Depending on how well you can adjust and how often you practice. Tre's and 360s will come later. :)

Ollie is the most basic trick on the skateboard. Yes, it is the "jump" on the board. It took me about 3-4 months to really learn how to ollie well. To do it while moving and to ollie over things (like, sticks, at first.) It would be hard to give advice over the internet, but I'll try. Make sure you pound the tail with your back foot as hard as you can, you're trying to get the board vertical. Have your front foot in the middle of the deck and then slide it up toward the top of the deck as soon as you pop the tail. Jump as high as you can and suck in your knees as far as they will go. That'll allow the board to follow your feet and you'll be able to ollie onto or over things.

I don't wear any protective gear when I skate. I have a lot of scars. Your ankles will get torn up when you're trying to learn kickflips. Trust me. I own a helmet, but only because some skateparks require the use of one. It's really dangerous to skate places without any protection, but I feel so uncomfortable in a helmet, or kneepads/elbowpads. There's a feeling you get when you're going to fall off the board, and hopefully you hop off your board before you wipe out.

marry rich people
08-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I used to skateboard a little when I was 11-13. I never had my own board so I would use my friends' boards. I partly started skateborading to look cool, but then I geniunely got interested in it. I haven't touched a skateboard in a few years, but I still love it. I hope to get my own board someday and actually learn how to skateboard because I never got very far.

In terms of boards, my favorite to ride are Element boards because they're incredibly light, which is preferable to my body size. Any board with Venture trucks is wonderful, actually. The are hundreds of brands I have never tried, but I've always loved the way Enjoi, Chocolate, Alien Workshop, Girl, Habitat, and City Stars boards look. They're like works of art. I could stare at them all day.

Jacoby
09-05-2005, 12:33 AM
I used to skateboard a little when I was 11-13. I never had my own board so I would use my friends' boards. I partly started skateborading to look cool, but then I geniunely got interested in it. I haven't touched a skateboard in a few years, but I still love it. I hope to get my own board someday and actually learn how to skateboard because I never got very far.

In terms of boards, my favorite to ride are Element boards because they're incredibly light, which is preferable to my body size. Any board with Venture trucks is wonderful, actually. The are hundreds of brands I have never tried, but I've always loved the way Enjoi, Chocolate, Alien Workshop, Girl, Habitat, and City Stars boards look. They're like works of art. I could stare at them all day.

Habitat is the way to go. I've had about 4 Habitats throughout my years of skating. I hear Enjoi decks are really good, but they wear and lose their pop pretty quickly. Alien Workshop is a good brand, too. My friend had one a few years ago. My favorite deck was New Deal, but those don't exist anymore. :(

Boyscout
10-05-2005, 12:41 PM
I heard of a movie called "Lords of Dogtown" which will be on screen in June. It's about the kind of orgin of skaterboarding. So it's a kind of example show of skaterboarding. I'm looking forward to it.

And to Jacoby, thanks for your help, I will try it! :)

Urbanebula
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM
FlightFreak. I aint a skateboarder but you got any pics that aren't...well...grinding, grinding and more grinding.

Digital_Ice
10-05-2005, 08:57 PM
theres a jumpy one aswell!

http://users.pandora.be/inlineskate/foto/bruno/bruno20.jpg

and anyway, isnt grinding and jumping in some form the majority of skateboarding moves (*prepares to be flamed due to lack of knowledge*)

Jacoby
10-05-2005, 11:05 PM
theres a jumpy one aswell!

http://users.pandora.be/inlineskate/foto/bruno/bruno20.jpg

and anyway, isnt grinding and jumping in some form the majority of skateboarding moves (*prepares to be flamed due to lack of knowledge*)

Skateboarding is more about flipping the board. You can't flip a rollerblade. Well you can, but people don't do it. But you usually see skateboard pictures of people doing flip tricks. Skateboarding wins. :D

Spire
10-05-2005, 11:21 PM
I played THPS once.

Digital_Ice
10-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Skateboarding is more about flipping the board.

to flip it, you need to jump first surely? so i was kinda right.... *clutches at straws*

Jacoby
11-05-2005, 12:35 AM
to flip it, you need to jump first surely? so i was kinda right.... *clutches at straws*

Well...no. You start flipping the board as soon as it leaves the ground. You can 'jump' then flip the board in the air. It's called a late flip. It's really freaking hard.

Digital_Ice
11-05-2005, 12:42 AM
i stand corrected... i'll leave the skating to the experts....

*returns to THPS2!!!*

wow, some hight quality gaming hours here......

Jacoby
11-05-2005, 12:44 AM
i stand corrected... i'll leave the skating to the experts....

*returns to THPS2!!!*

wow, some hight quality gaming hours here......

The best skateboarding game I've ever played was "Thrasher Skate & Destroy". If you can find it, buy it. THPS2 is definitely a great game, though. The introduction of the manual.