PDA

View Full Version : Britain's Elections

doubly
01-05-2005, 03:34 AM
From what I gather from the American news, it seems to me that the prime minister just "calls an election" arbitrarily. How the hell does that work? What are the rules in whatever constitution or charter of goverment that you guys have?

Please pardon my ignoracne.

deviljet88
01-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Assuming its similiar to Australia's, the prime minsiter can call the election whenever during their term. Obviously, most elections are thus held in the last year of their term. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

acliff
01-05-2005, 09:42 AM
The PM calls the election any time during his term, be it within 1 month, to final days of his term. Essentially he calls it when it is advantageous for him to do so.
I'd like to think this allows any political topics which have gained momentum to carry on at speed, as opposed to being cut short by a different party.

mark_simpsonsfan
01-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Yeah that's right.

Labour are liers.
Conservatives (tories) keep saying they will spend money they really don't have (they said they're getting £88billion when they can only really get £10billion)
BNP are disgusting
Green Party aren't going to get anywhere now are they?

THE ANSWER!?!?!?

The Liberal Democrats: The real alternative.
These are really the only party who can tell the truth and actually get somewhere.

PhoeniX
01-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Yeah that's right.

Labour are liers.
Conservatives (tories) keep saying they will spend money they really don't have (they said they're getting £88billion when they can only really get £10billion)
BNP are disgusting

THE ANSWER!?!?!?

These are really the only party who can tell the truth and actually get somewhere.

True. I'm quite suprised the BNP haven't got in around here because there are so many racists and their view on immigration seem to suit a lot of people, but I suppose that's their only policy.

acliff
01-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Labour are my kind of liars.

duckula
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
I voted for Vince (he's the man with the plan).

deviljet88
02-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah that's right.

Labour are liers.
BNP are disgusting

THE ANSWER!?!?!?

Liberal Democrats sounds cool. Pity our (Australia) Liberals are really just conservatives and our Democrats are just drunken wankers. Besides that hot chick, but she left.

Digital_Ice
02-05-2005, 01:30 PM
i'd never vote conservative... not since maggie...

i dont like labour or liberals...... and i wont even grace the bnp with a comment....

MRLP all the way!! (i wonder what they would actually do if they got power?)

nah, probably green seems the best..... says a lot realy...

PhoeniX
03-05-2005, 07:00 PM
MRLP all the way!! (i wonder what they would actually do if they got power?)

They'd scrap £1 coins and make 99p coins instead, which kind of makes sense.

marine
03-05-2005, 07:47 PM
my foreign civilisation professor said that in UK you basically vote for the one who had a shot to win.
So I know I'm not living in the UK and that the press here doesn't give daily report but apart from the Labours and the Conservatives, no other party got a shot to win right?

Sarah
03-05-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm just going to nick other people's voting cards and then vote for each party. All equal from me, then. I hate taking sides.

I can't vote liberal because the guy in my area who is liberal (the guy i'd have to vote for) is this nasty shit who voted against my football team getting a new football ground. He's NOT getting my vote!