PDA

View Full Version : Banning The Bible

Digital_Ice
23-04-2005, 07:52 PM
enough whining that we are offending christians. what about the athiests (and other faiths)

Students Seek To Ban The Bible
University students have voted to ban the bible because they belive it could offend non-christians.

Stirling University Students' Association (SUSA) have voted to remove up to 6,000 copies of the Gideon Bible from more thatn 2,000 halls of residence rooms.

A Motion to have them withdrawn was passed by15-1 ata a recent meeting of student council. Seven members abstained.

Citing the Scottish Executive's One Scotland Many Cultures campaign, the students said representing one faith was not in the spirit of equality.

Al Wilson, president of the SUSA, said: "The one thing the students have come up with is that they do have a Gideon Bible in their rooms but they feel that's not realy fair on those who practise other faiths."

"It's promoting one faith over others, so we're trying to encourage the university to still retain the Bibles within the buildings themselves, but not necessarily in the rooms."

A former chaplin at the university said it was wrong to withdraw any book from a place of study.

The Rev John Munro, of Kinross Parish Church, said: "I Think there's an agenda here, seemingly politically correct."

"But there's actually a hostility towards faith by those who have none."

this made me laugh...

and it reminded me of the bill hick's quote "by the way... who the fuck, are the Gideons... ever met one... no... etc"

AureaMediocritas
23-04-2005, 08:08 PM
These heretics will all burn in hell. :icon_mad:

frodo1511
24-04-2005, 02:59 AM
What will you have your arbiter do?

deviljet88
24-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Bibles never stopped non-christians from going to hotels.

Foeni
24-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Wtf? Stupid idea. The whole westerne society is built upon the words of the Bible. Reading it could give you a good idea about how the society has come to this point. Someone should ban them from opening their mouths.

Andrew
24-04-2005, 07:01 PM
I think it is a good thing and I might start a similar campaign.

It is a book full of rubbish and it is about time that people who don't believe in it have to hold back their views just not to offend anyone that does believe in it.

Liam
24-04-2005, 07:50 PM
For fuck sake.

When will people get over the whole political correctness fad and grow a brain? I hope its soon, cause at this rate I'll be catatonic in a mental ward in a couple of years.

Everyone should keep their fucking nose out of everyone else's business. Everyone should drop the holier than thou attitude. When people learn this, the world will be a better place.

Seriously, people need to find a new cause. Get over yourselves.

deviljet88
25-04-2005, 12:16 AM
For fuck sake.

When will people get over the whole political correctness fad and grow a brain? I hope its soon, cause at this rate I'll be catatonic in a mental ward in a couple of years.

Everyone should keep their fucking nose out of everyone else's business. Everyone should drop the holier than thou attitude. When people learn this, the world will be a better place.

Seriously, people need to find a new cause. Get over yourselves.
God's everywhere, he can't keep out of people's business. Oh wait, what was your point?

Digital_Ice
25-04-2005, 12:49 AM
i agree with liam on this one, political correctness bugs me, i mean its not even politicaly correct to appear politically correct anymore... it has to be a natural thing not forced... argh...

MrPink
25-04-2005, 12:24 PM
i agree with liam on this one, political correctness bugs me, i mean its not even politicaly correct to appear politically correct anymore... it has to be a natural thing not forced... argh...
ya true. in africa there isn't any such thing as politcal correctness... people just say what they want to say and very rarely offend any1

Leonie
25-04-2005, 05:19 PM
ya true. in africa there isn't any such thing as politcal correctness... people just say what they want to say and very rarely offend any1
... unless they use message speak :icon_razz

Political correctness *shivers* I don't see the point. It should be a natural inclination towards being polite, not a euphemism brought about by people who sit in offices all day, their sole job being thinking of a neutral word for people, religions, and whatever is part of the PC clan these days.

Digital_Ice
25-04-2005, 05:30 PM
well said leonie... i couldnt have put it better...

DragonRat
30-04-2005, 01:20 AM
On a tangent, I was much more intrigued at the fact that hotels in Utah carry both Gideon bibles and the Book of Mormon. The latter far more interested me than the former (more so because I've never read the Book of Mormon).

As for political correctness, I thought that was mostly an American agenda during the 90s. For such a practice to be in Scotland seems quite humorous; I simply think it's just a case of a small but vocal minority being dicks. (Hey, that's what happened in the 90s anyway.)

apoggy
30-04-2005, 10:30 AM
heh, the advert on this page is for a bible study :D

KRev
27-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Even the Girl Scouts of America jumped the PC bandwagon, changing the name of one of the cookies (and their best in my opinion).

In California, "Samoas" are now "Carmel DeLites."

I guess mentioning native islanders mixed with Conquistador and African slave bloodlines isn't PC in our local troops.

Digital_Ice
27-05-2005, 11:43 PM
christ.. i swear this thread died about a month ago!

anyway whats wrong with the word samoas?? am i missing something??