PDA

View Full Version : Why texting harms your IQ

Flightfreak
22-04-2005, 01:13 PM
ooooooops, :icon_Oogl
Times online (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,20409-1580833,00.html)

I better stop using my pc till my exams are over.

deviljet88
22-04-2005, 01:22 PM
"Research on sleep deprivation suggests that the IQ drop caused by electronic obsession is also equivalent to a wakeful night." I better not let my parents see that. And I should probably sleep now.

hasselbrad
22-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Pot > netspeak. Hahahahahahahaha

Keyser_so_so
23-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Another thing that harms one's IQ is spellcheck (in the case of computers) or Predictive Text Messaging (in the case of mobile phones). Why bother learning your language properly, when it can be done for you!? :icon_roll

Leonie
24-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Another thing that harms one's IQ is spellcheck (in the case of computers) or Predictive Text Messaging (in the case of mobile phones). Why bother learning your language properly, when it can be done for you!? :icon_roll

What if I just use predictive messaging because I'm the world's slowest texter? I can't type on keys that tiny! I suppose the fact I spell words out completely in messages helps slowing down the rate at which I lose IQ points. I *hate* message speak.

Keyser_so_so
25-04-2005, 02:08 PM
What if I just use predictive messaging because I'm the world's slowest texter? I can't type on keys that tiny! I suppose the fact I spell words out completely in messages helps slowing down the rate at which I lose IQ points. I *hate* message speak.

Yes, I use it too- it's far better to speak properly. Text speak is certainly nothing approaching proper speech. But the point is, is that with children now getting mobile phones, surely they are being damaged by the instant gap filling of predictive 'txting', let alone the radiation thier soft brain matter will take.

Leonie
25-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I thought kids these days were manufactured with the brain thing being optional in the first place? :icon_razz

Keyser_so_so
25-04-2005, 07:20 PM
I thought kids these days were manufactured with the brain thing being optional in the first place? :icon_razz

lol! Still serious matter... Must try not to laugh...

Meteora
02-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Another thing that harms one's IQ is spellcheck (in the case of computers) or Predictive Text Messaging (in the case of mobile phones). Why bother learning your language properly, when it can be done for you!?
Actually, that doesn't lower IQ at all.

If it has an adverse effect, it would be that it reduces learning oppurtunities rather than actual intelligence.