PDA

View Full Version : UK General Election Votes For Sale

Digital_Ice
07-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Ebay has begun deleting auctions selling votes for the forthcoming UK general election.

A number of auctions have appeared over the last couple of days with people trying to flog their vote even though it is illegal to do so.

One seen by El Reg which has raised, so far, the princely sum of £3.30 read: "If you're willing to pay, I'm willing to sway. For me, it [the general election] is just another day. At the age of 25, I have never voted. So can you make it worth my while?"

The Electoral Commission has already been in contact with eBay asking it to remove the listings.

A spokeswoman for eBay told us she was aware of the listings. "We will be removing them as we find them," she said.

why??

who would buy votes??? except the politicans.... but then theres all this buzzing around that they are forging postal votes anyway....

deviljet88
08-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Maybe some Pro-Conservatives or Pro-Labors would go down that low lol. Ingenius idea, next time there's an election, I might ask the "How to Vote" pamplet givers whether they'd pay me to vote for their party.

Andrew
08-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Maybe some Pro-Conservatives or Pro-Labors would go down that low lol. Ingenius idea, next time there's an election, I might ask the "How to Vote" pamplet givers whether they'd pay me to vote for their party.
I've been told that they will give me a free lift to the polling station if I vote for their party, I think I will just stick with not voting though.

Digital_Ice
08-04-2005, 04:57 AM
http://www.notapathetic.com/

its a site full of peoples reasons they are not going to vote... god the internet (and the government) is full of crap.

PhoeniX
08-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Heh, some people are so stupid. I reckon i'll vote, not for some facist party though, I don't understand them.

Sarah
08-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Seeing as I am 18, I can vote this time.

I want to vote for the Monster Raving Loony Party,

But sadly they don't have a representative in my county.

Keyser_so_so
08-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Where will eBay take us next in it's ever ongoing quest to amuse? The possessed Lilo toy is still funnier, though...

... When I reach 18, I won't know who to vote for. Just not Conservative (lower taxes for the rich, higher for the poor? Eh? What the fuck?) or UKip (Nazis), that's for sure.

hannahjane
08-04-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm hoping people will vote for Labour! Please vote Labour! I can't be arsed with details (you all know how long my posts can get!). The way I see it; yes, the Lib Dems are a decent enough party but lets face facts they haven't got a flying fuck of a chance of winning, so to vote Lib Dem is, basically, a wasted vote (unless you strongly, strongly believe in them!). I'd vote Labour in order to keep the Conservatives out. Labour haven't fucked up half as much as everyone likes to make out; basically, a majority of people who know nowt bout politics will probably now vote for the first time on the basis that Blair took us to war, and Blair was wrong to take us to war, hence we'll vote Tory. That's silly! :p People need to be better informed; Labour will lose so many votes this year over the war, pure and simple. Because, for some people, it's the only slightly politically oreintated bit of knowledge they have.

I dunno. The Green Party etc are also a waste of space. Firstly, for the fact pigs'd fly before they got into power, and secondly The Green Party reckon zoos should be banned and made illegal!? Extreme? No.....

Vote Labour!

Digital_Ice
08-04-2005, 10:48 PM
i'd never ever vote conservative.....

but i dont agree with labour or the lib dems.....

Liam
09-04-2005, 09:38 AM
I like Tony Blair.

He has a pity switch that he sometimes uses during speeches. He simply turns it on, looks on the brink of tears, and instantly garners pity points.
He can't lose.

Foeni
09-04-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't know shit about UK politics, therefor I will not make any comments on that. I just wanted to advice first-voters. Don't listen too much to the campaigns. Look what has happened while Blair has been done in his time as PM. If you like that vote Blair. Campaigns are not to be trusted very much, I prefer following politics in general and listen to what they various political parties have to say when they are not trying to win an election. Because that's what they really stand for and fights for. Plus, some of the promises politicans can turn out to be impossible later on.

But selling your vote is bloody ridiculous. If you don't give a damn about politics, don't vote. It's as simple as that. Though it's stupid not to follow politics just a little bit.

marine
09-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Campaigns are not to be trusted very much, I prefer following politics in general and listen to what they various political parties have to say when they are not trying to win an election. Because that's what they really stand for and fight

maybe I'm wrong, but Politiians are always acting in prevision of the next elections, so right they'll take more risks at the beginning, but that's all is it about, winning the next elections and remain in power.

Foeni
09-04-2005, 06:22 PM
maybe I'm wrong, but Politiians are always acting in prevision of the next elections, so right they'll take more risks at the beginning, but that's all is it about, winning the next elections and remain in power.

True, but it's still different than a real campaign. A campaign consist of promises. And only promises. They say (of course) nothing about the bad things you get when you vote for them. You see the bad things when they are making new laws etc.