PDA

View Full Version : guitar

Digital_Ice
06-04-2005, 01:04 PM
well this was inspired by the argument in the post your pics, or else thread...

how many of you guys play guitar?
how long you been playing?
why did you start playing?

etc.

myself... i have been playing for a week and a half. great fun. makes the skin on your fingers very tough....

Liam
06-04-2005, 01:26 PM
I do.

Been playing rhythm guitar about 6 months. Played bass for 3 years before then.
I started playing as the original rhythm guitarist in my band had to leave interstate for university, and we could easily recruit another bassist. Made sense for me to step up to the plate. Only downside is that I am no longer a singer/bassist, like Tom Araya (hail).

Flightfreak
06-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Liam rocks, i heard him play

Liam
06-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Christ, who gave you that clip?

Edit: Probably me. I'm hungry and my memory is failing.

Flightfreak
06-04-2005, 01:28 PM
your blimy self

simdimidy
06-04-2005, 01:35 PM
i play...the...bango :P nah, kidding, i play the bass. started bout 2years ago...then stopped...and have stopped whilst my exams are coming up...

deviljet88
06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I play the piano, wish I did guitar though.

Digital_Ice
06-04-2005, 02:40 PM
thats exactly how i felt 2 weeks ago... i can play piano (sort of) and i've always wanted to learn guitar. so i rang my sister, asked if she was coming home for the holidays, asked her to bring her guitar, and she did, so my mate started teaching me.

you should learn jet, tis great fun.

Ardnax
06-04-2005, 03:41 PM
I play viola and flute... but not guitar :icon_frow

Ashley
06-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I... somewhat play. I can play Credence Clearwater Revival... that's about it for now. I'm working on it though. I've been playing off and on for about 2 years.... more off than on however. :icon_redf

Mags
06-04-2005, 04:22 PM
I got a guitar for Christmas of my junior year so...3 years ago. I never took lessons but I've sort of taught myself how to play. I can play a bunch of Jackopierce songs (a band probably like...3 of you have ever heard), and other random songs that I just find the chords to. I can play a few Damien Rice songs, Gin Blossom, I can play like 4 Muse songs, and very little Wilco.

I have a Yahama acoustic here with me at school, and at home I have a Fender Squire Strat electric, which I wish I could have at school, but there's just not enough room.

marine
06-04-2005, 04:43 PM
my brother used to play a little he was taking classes but gave up, I used to play violin and piano, now you wouldn't want to hear me playing.

I tried on my brother's guitar but never really got it right, maybe I would have if I had taken classes, I'm not like Mags, I think it's quite impressive to be able to learn by yourself, unfortunatly it's not my case.

Richard
06-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I've told Jake this before, but I'm not even sure if I tuned my acoustic right. I bought it several years ago and haven't really touched it much. Last summer I was really bored so I took it out and gave it another try... then I realized why I chose to pack it back up the first time I bought it.

I decided to buy a guitar because of Buddy Holly. I wanted to be like him, play like him, and it's not going too well. I've memorized a butt-load of his songs though.

I have every intention of teaching myself. It would be something to be proud of later on.

mikhalt
06-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I've been playing guitar for 11-12 years; I mainly play electric now, on a fender strat and my spider II amp. Lots of fun. I started playing cause I just fell in love with the guitar never put it down ever since; gets my anger and frustration out.

cheers
mikhalt

Mags
06-04-2005, 07:12 PM
I tried on my brother's guitar but never really got it right, maybe I would have if I had taken classes, I'm not like Mags, I think it's quite impressive to be able to learn by yourself, unfortunatly it's not my case.

I'm not very good at guitar tabs, but I do ok with chords. The thing is (for me at least) once you learn a few basic chords, there's TONS of stuff you can play. I can think of about 10 songs I know right now that use 4 really standard, easy chords (G,A,C,D) and they sound good. They're not complicated, or incredibly difficult sounding, but they work with what you're doing and sound good.

I'm no great guitarist, by ANY means. I know about 3 guitar riffs (and oh how I enjoy them, thank you Muse) and the rest is just easy chords. And even if songs you want to learn are in a difficult key, you can use a capo and make it SO much easier. It doesn't work for everything, but it works for a lot.

Jacoby
06-04-2005, 07:38 PM
I play acoustic guitar. It's my baby, I love making up melodies. They suck, but they sound good to me. I'm not interested in playing in a band right now. If I were in a band, I would play electric guitar and we would make music like the song "Who Could Win a Rabbit?" by Animal Collective. Because that would be so much fun.

But I've been playing for about 6 years. I'm not very good, I never took lessons, but my friend who is really good taught me how to read tabs way back when and all that good stuff.
I just learned how to play "Blackbird" a month ago, and I'm pretty proud of it. I learned the intro to "Over the Hills..." which is awesome, but I never finished learning the rest. I enjoy making my own little picking melodies, and mixing chords to go with the picking.

Keyser_so_so
06-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I play guitar and have done so for just over 2 years. I taught myself, and am very proud of my playing, which was excelled by the fact that I've always been immersed in music and have played paino from a young age.

I have a Fender Jag-Stang (designed by the late, great Kurt Cobain), and have recently put a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker in the neck position (yummy).

I mostly play muse, and have a very reliable and good DOD FX-7 multi-effects pedal which sound excellent, and a Roland Cube-15.

The cube is small but all I really need. I only really ever have it at just below 1/4 volume.

Fancyman
07-04-2005, 04:49 AM
Ive been teaching myself for just over a year. I think I'm pretty good considering how little I play. I play an assortment of random songs from various bands. (Slayer, Black Sabbath, Muse, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, and some original stuuf yo name some) I had plans to build my own custom guitar from scratch. My plans were completely including a body template and wiring diagrams, but I couldn't afford the project in the end. So, I just bought a cheap Ibanez RG 120 which I plan to rebuild peive by piece. (going active on the pick ups and wiring eventually)

Renegade
07-04-2005, 06:21 AM
I bought a guitar a month ago and have been teaching myself to play ever since. Right now, I can play "Title and Registration" by Death Cab for Cutie, some song that sounds like it would be played in the elevator, and the OC theme.

Fancyman
07-04-2005, 03:24 PM
haha I leanred the oc theme as a joke for my girlfriend.

Dionysus
08-04-2005, 01:19 AM
yeah i've been playing for about 6-7 years
love it, make my living out of teaching people and playing gigs
i started playing coz a friend who lived around the corner from me had a guitar and i thought it was cool so i got one too :D

Keyser_so_so
08-04-2005, 08:50 PM
yeah i've been playing for about 6-7 years
love it, make my living out of teaching people and playing gigs
i started playing coz a friend who lived around the corner from me had a guitar and i thought it was cool so i got one too :D

Genius, cool... Or Bum, if you live in Britain and watch Nathan Barley.

hannahjane
08-04-2005, 10:24 PM
I play guitar - have done for about a year and a half, perhaps two. I love to play, but it really is just a hobby. I used to be in a band, but we all kind of went our separate ways because of prioritising etc! I love just playing at home on my own, as a means of relaxing! I own both electric and acoustic guitars; and my preference definately depends on my mood. I'll go through stages where I won't pick up my electric for months on end, I'll just be playing acoustic sessions such as Damo Rice (I love playing his songs). And yes my fingers are fucked because of this hobby! Calluses...*shudder*.

MrPink
09-04-2005, 08:29 PM
ya know what u mean... i been playing for a few years now an i go through stages where i'd play hectic frusciante style funk, then slip into a more limp bizkit type rock, hey even big hair rock kinda stuff, then suddenly feel the urge to play some old school folk

Digital_Ice
09-04-2005, 09:52 PM
suddenly my two weeks of attempts at mission impossible and old mc donald (hey it was easy) and about 6 chords seems... well pretty shit...

seventhson
10-04-2005, 05:31 AM
I began playing guitar @ age 12 in 1976. I have been welcome to and dismissed from numerous garage bands since. I may have an audio clip of something I recorded several years ago, but I am afraid to post it here because y'all seem like you may be the most harsh/hurtful critics and I don't want to set myself up for public humiliation. The guitar holds a special place in my heart.

Peace,
(-: SeventhSon :-)

johnnyboy
11-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Been playing for 2 and a half years, love it, don't practice much, but my teacher has me learning "Spanish Romance", its coming along