PDA

View Full Version : Never being so GUTTED.. .b.i.l.b :(

simdimidy
06-04-2005, 11:53 AM
In a perfect world, a small-budget British film starring an unknown Indian actress as a girlwho overcomes sexist and cultural barriers in order to play soccer while falling in love with another girl would become a word-of-mouth phenomenon and ultimately generate millions in U.S. and international box office revenue.

But this isn't a perfect world, and the Bend it Like Beckham director knew that wasn't going to happen; something had to give, and that something was the lesbian romance--at least according to the friend of Beckham director Gurinder Chadha.

Speaking last week at the Bombay Academy of Moving Images, Nisha Ganatra (who directed the lesbian-themed film Chutney Popcorn) revealedthat Chadha (who also directed the film What's Cooking (http://www.afterellen.com/Movies/whatscooking.html), which featured Julianna Margulies and Kyra Sedwick as a lesbian couple) originally planned to include a lesbian romance between the characters of Jess (Parminder K. Nagra) and Jules (Keira Knightley), but "chickened out" at the last minute for fear of offending and upsetting Indian audiences.

Instead, the film was re-written to develop a relationship between Jess and her (white) coach, Joe (Jonathan Rhys-Meyers), which causes a rift between Jess and a jealous Jules. The film still tackles homophobia, but not as directly; Jess' male friend comes out to her, and when Jules' mom is upset when she mistakenly thinks Jules and Jess are in a lesbian relationship, Jules' response is along the lines of "I'm not, but so what if I was? Being a lesbian isn't that big of a deal."

http://www.afterellen.com/Movies/Photos/beckham/uniforms.jpg

Gutting Ey..:(

deviljet88
06-04-2005, 01:58 PM
But now they've managed to fit conflicting interests in the coach, still managed to both get into the American league, and they managed to fit in a smaller homosexual theme? It seems you want the homosexuality as a publicity stunt instead of it actually being a much better storyline. Publicity stunts might work, but then again you could get ultra conservatives who would avoid it. I like this version more though, the coach would become too much of a minor character otherwise.

apoggy
06-04-2005, 02:39 PM
He just wanted a saucy naked lesbian scene to warm his cockles

Mags
06-04-2005, 04:13 PM
I have to say...Joe's character was warming something for me. He's quite gorgeous.

Keyser_so_so
06-04-2005, 05:42 PM

Probably :D ...

...But the thing is this: It's a well known and loved film, and had it featured a lesbian side beyond what is currently in it, it probably wouldn't lose many fans, but it would be a far less entertaining watch. It would probably force it into far more serious areas. Hence the fact it's best as it is.

simdimidy
07-04-2005, 08:35 AM

SHE thank you very much :icon_err:

deviljet88
07-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Well did you just want a saucy naked lesbian scene as apoggy suggested? :P

simdimidy
07-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Well did you just want a saucy naked lesbian scene as apoggy suggested? :P

well...i wouldnt have complained :D

kelsen13
30-05-2005, 05:40 AM
I have to say...Joe's character was warming something for me. He's quite gorgeous.

second that. specialy when he's at jess's door

KRev
02-06-2005, 05:51 AM
You think the tension between actor Jonathan and director Gurinder had anything to do with her trying so hard to get him to act like the heterosexual love interest of her heroine?